PDA

View Full Version : It's scary when stylist get desperate

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I totally forgot about this. I was in home depot about a few weeks back taking my dd to the potty. So there I am fixing my hair in the mirror and I get this lady handing me a freaking card for a salon. I have no idea what she was mumbling but I told her that I don't cut my hair because a stylist butchered it. She then told me all salons aren't the same. I said well sorry I don't cut my hair. Of course she had short short chopped hair all funky colors. I have nothign against this but don't try to get em to cut. What makes them think just because we have long hair we are soliciting someone to cut it for us? I apparently was a walking sale sign that day :rolleyes:

Xandergrammy
December 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
And what makes her think that anyone would want hair like hers? :confused:

I had an "opposite" experience a few months ago. We were walking around our township festival, where local vendors hand out lots of free stuff and coupons and such. One woman was handing out something to everyone but me!!! Of course I had to go see what she had. She was giving out coupons for haircuts! I guess she looked at me and figured I wasn't interested in a hair cut! :tongue:

DragonLady
December 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
There is a woman here in town who does that. She approaches people with long hair -anything below the ears- and begins making disparaging comments. "Could use a little color" "Why don't you have all that trimmed off?" "I don't know much, but I know hair, and you need...."

After a minute or two of such insults, she casually mentions that she's a beautician, and that she works from her home, and oh, gee...why don't you stop by some time for ice tea (and $30 haircut).

I just ignore her, but I think she's narrowly missed a couple of fistfights. Some of these old Mexican ranch hands with hair to their knees don't appreciate her b.s., and most are more than capable of stuffing her into a shoe box.

I keep watching the local police reports, just waiting for a picture of her with two black eyes being referred to as the "victim".

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hey theres nothing wrong with funky colors.:whistle::wink:

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Everybody has to make a living, and some of us, like my DS and DH in their plumbing business, actually have to go out with business cards and make new contacts. It shouldn't generate resentment unless, of course, the solicitation is accompanied by an insult.

Aisha25
December 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
There is a woman here in town who does that. She approaches people with long hair -anything below the ears- and begins making disparaging comments. "Could use a little color" "Why don't you have all that trimmed off?" "I don't know much, but I know hair, and you need...."

After a minute or two of such insults, she casually mentions that she's a beautician, and that she works from her home, and oh, gee...why don't you stop by some time for ice tea (and $30 haircut).

I just ignore her, but I think she's narrowly missed a couple of fistfights. Some of these old Mexican ranch hands with hair to their knees don't appreciate her b.s., and most are more than capable of stuffing her into a shoe box.

I keep watching the local police reports, just waiting for a picture of her with two black eyes being referred to as the "victim".
That is hillarious :rollin:.

Samara Morgan
December 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I don't like stylists who try to make you change your hair just because it doesn't look good to them. Everyone is different! When I got my fringe cut in a few months ago I didn't let the hairdresser touch the rest of my length but she would not stop trying to persuade me to get it cut. I wish stylists would just take "no" for an answer sometimes :nono:

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hey theres nothing wrong with funky colors.:whistle::wink:

no, and I love your multi toned hair :)

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
If that ever happened to me I hope I'd have the presense of mind to rip the card into little pieces, toss them on the floor and grind them with my foot while she watches. That's rude and insulting. Spidermom, I think this is totally different than a plumber handing out his card. The woman in the OP's story insulted her appearance which is uncalled for.

wintersun99
December 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM

MandaMom2Three
December 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
LOL I just saw Herbal Essences shampoo for long hair for the first time. They came with a coupon for a free haircut!!!!

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
LOL I just saw Herbal Essences shampoo for long hair for the first time. They came with a coupon for a free haircut!!!! :confused: thats ironic.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
LOL I just saw Herbal Essences shampoo for long hair for the first time. They came with a coupon for a free haircut!!!!

Omg, that is just messed up..LOL

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Just wondering why you think/assumed you were the only one given a card, because of hair length? It could be that she was promoting her salon (or herself) and everyone was being approached... it's a marketing idea and it happens often... :shrug:

She looked about 16 , so I doubt it was for her salon and I didn't see her hand the other ladies in the bathroom cards.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Caroline, I don't see an insult described in the original post. Someone mentioned being insulted later in the thread.

I really don't see a big difference. If you're in business and need customers, you have to go out and find them or risk losing your home, your car, your ability to buy groceries, and so forth. A person with long hair is more likely to look like he or she needs a stylist than someone with a fussy short haircut and colors and thus obviously already has one. Being a hair stylist is a perfectly honorable profession. Sometimes around here it sounds like we think they are criminals.

NebraskaChick84
December 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't like stylists who try to make you change your hair just because it doesn't look good to them. Everyone is different! When I got my fringe cut in a few months ago I didn't let the hairdresser touch the rest of my length but she would not stop trying to persuade me to get it cut. I wish stylists would just take "no" for an answer sometimes :nono:
the opposite of this happened when I went in for my chop in february. she kept trying to talk me out of cutting. I told her I love long hair but I wanted the color GONE she kept quiet after that although she *did* get her superior to come over and make sure I wanted it. I told her it was the 3rd time in as many years that I've had my hair cut short from being long. they finally did cut it but geez. I came in and paid my money of course I want a cut.

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Caroline, I don't see an insult described in the original post. Someone mentioned being insulted later in the thread.

I really don't see a big difference. If you're in business and need customers, you have to go out and find them or risk losing your home, your car, your ability to buy groceries, and so forth. A person with long hair is more likely to look like he or she needs a stylist than someone with a fussy short haircut and colors and thus obviously already has one. Being a hair stylist is a perfectly honorable profession. Sometimes around here it sounds like we think they are criminals.I read the OP as she was handed the card because the "stylist" thought her hair looked like crap. That's what I would have assumed in the same situation. I would take that as an insult to me and my appearance.

Actually I was handed a business card in a situation a few months ago. I'd been in a fender bender and in the midst of sorting it out, a guy drove up and handed me his business card. He was a car repair guy. I kind of laughed and said thank you. I thought it was funny in a desperate way. I guess I am put off by things like that. If it was a hair dresser I'm sure I'd flip out on her :slap: I'd see only evil intentions by a hairdresser who went soliciting my business. Maybe the evil intentions wouldn't be there but that's how I'd see it.

florenonite
December 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I read the OP as she was handed the card because the "stylist" thought her hair looked like crap. That's what I would have assumed in the same situation. I would take that as an insult to me and my appearance.

Actually I was handed a business card in a situation a few months ago. I'd been in a fender bender and in the midst of sorting it out, a guy drove up and handed me his business card. He was a car repair guy. I kind of laughed and said thank you. I thought it was funny in a desperate way. I guess I am put off by things like that. If it was a hair dresser I'm sure I'd flip out on her :slap: I'd see only evil intentions by a hairdresser who went soliciting my business. Maybe the evil intentions wouldn't be there but that's how I'd see it.

I dunno, as far as most people are concerned, women get their hair trimmed every six to eight weeks, so maybe the stylist in the OP just assumed that lora, like many women, gets regular professional trims, and there was nothing more to it than that. Upon hearing that lora doesn't get her hair done professionally she may have seen it as an opportunity to get a new client, as she wasn't already loyal to another hairdresser.

Although lora pointed out that she was the only one approached, she was fixing her hair at the time, which may have come across to the other woman as though she was someone concerned with her hair in a conventional manner, and therefore someone who would be a likely client.

Of course, I could just be too ready to see the good in people, and she really was just being insufferably rude :p

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Perhaps lora looked the most approachable/friendly. It is REALLY HARD to make a cold contact like that. I got involved with Mary Kay cosmetics in the not-distant-enough past, and they would give us challenges, like "hand out 10 business cards this week." I think I handed out 1. I was always afraid that somebody would take it as an insult, as described - like I'd approach someone and she'd think I was insulting the way she put on her makeup.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I read the OP as she was handed the card because the "stylist" thought her hair looked like crap. That's what I would have assumed in the same situation. I would take that as an insult to me and my appearance.

I was very insulted at the time because my hair was looking like ass that day. I thought god does my hair look that awful? Now I just find it amusing :)

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Of course, I could just be too ready to see the good in people, and she really was just being insufferably rude :p:D That's just it. We are seeing it from 2 different perspectives. I generally don't see the good in people, especially a stranger who would accost me in a public bathroom :twisted: I would see it as insufferably rude. I was feeling sympathetic to lora for having to deal with the situation. I think the stylist was totally out of line and in the same situation I would have let her know what I thought of such tactics.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ok ladies this was meant to be for entertainment purposes only so no bickering allowed. I was at first like omg my hair must look really awful (it was a bad hair day) but now I just find it amusing. She looked young and no older then 18 so I am assuming she was just looking for an easy target :lol:

Nat242
December 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Lora, I'm willing to bet that you just looked more approachable, and the fact that you were fiddling with your hair gave her an "in". It's an amusing story, though!

Just last week a guy came up to me and gave me a business card for sustainably brewed and distributed beer - does this mean he thinks I look like a beer-swilling hippie? No, it means he thinks I look like an approachable hippie ;)

I didn't see him handing anyone else cards - on second thoughts, it could've been a come on. Hmm.

florenonite
December 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
:D That's just it. We are seeing it from 2 different perspectives. I generally don't see the good in people, especially a stranger who would accost me in a public bathroom :twisted: I would see it as insufferably rude. I was feeling sympathetic to lora for having to deal with the situation. I think the stylist was totally out of line and in the same situation I would have let her know what I thought of such tactics.

The only time I can think of recently that I was angry at a complete stranger was this ned whose wrist ever so slightly grazed the side of my bag the other night and he yelled at me that his watch was expensive and called me a "f***ing h**ker" and "f***ing long-haired prick". I actually chose to take the latter as a compliment, because it means my hair's getting long enough that the average passer-by sees it as long :D.

Besides that incident (which made my friend speculate as to how on earth neds reach adulthood), I generally try and assume that people have good intentions, or, at the very least, not malicious ones, even if they are selfish.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Ok ladies this was meant to be for entertainment purposes only so no bickering allowed.

But what if we find bickering entertaining?

GlennaGirl
December 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I agree that it's different when the service is something personal, related to the body/the appearance. :D

I don't mind being 41...but if someone walked up to me on the street and offered me a card that said "Botox injections for half the price!" I think I'd freak. :wigtongue Or if someone offered me a weight loss video. "This would be GREAT for you!" I'd probably feel the same way about my hair...

I've had some auto body dude approach me twice so far about a little scratch on the side of my van. The first time, he was literally driving around the neighborhood knocking on doors. The second time was in a parking lot. I do see more cold calling in general right now, with the economy tough, particularly on "cosmetic" or "vanity" purchases.

ktani
December 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Near where I used to work there were always people handing out fliers, not cards, for the latest specials (on the street, usually in front of the business). I would just hold up my hand as I waked by, as in no thanks. Rarely, I would still be approaced and would just say no thank you.

There is nothing wrong with that idea as a marketing tool, IMO, unless it is accompanied with personal, unsolicited, negative comments, that are also IMO, out of order. I would never go to a stylist who made a pre judgement about my hair, without listening first, to what I wanted.

I did visit the counter of a hairstylist, selling his own line of products, in a department store. The stylist was on hand that day, from his salon. He looked at my hair, started to touch it, asked what was in it and proceeded to tell me what colour and cut he thouht I should have. I was simply interested in looking at his products for sale.

I wound up buying one of his lipsticks, from one of his sales staff, who wanted to sell me $100, worth of product, that would give me a discount for a hair cut at the salon. I bought the lipstick only and scratched that salon off any possible list of stylists and salons to go to in the future. His salesperson obviously had a quota to make, which IMO, was her problem not mine and she was visibly displeased with my limited purchase. They lost a customer that day, for any future purchase of their products too.

I cut my own hair now because I prefer to do so, but I still think that there are many excellent hairstylists out there, while others need to work on their "people skills", lol.

Lady Lilya
December 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Everybody has to make a living, and some of us, like my DS and DH in their plumbing business, actually have to go out with business cards and make new contacts. It shouldn't generate resentment unless, of course, the solicitation is accompanied by an insult.

Nobody would take offense at someone implying that their plumbing could use some work, but almost anyone would take offense at someone implying that their appearance could use some work.

cobblersmaid
December 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I don't know...I just think this kind of thing is rude in general. I had a woman do this to a male co-worker of mine not long ago. She was at my checkout, and he was behind me getting something. She asked him where he got his hair cut, and he told her his brother did it. She said "Oh well I just thought I'd ask, since I'm a stylist and you need a hair cut." He told her he had just had it done, and she replied "Well, just in the back...'cause I'm a stylist." We both stood there gaping at her until she left. He handled it well, but I would not have been quite so polite.

People should be able to work, shop, or whatever without random people walking up and advertising to them. We have enough ads in our faces as is.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
My DH and DS mostly approach builders and tell them that they could offer a very competitive bid on the next project. They almost never deal with homeowners.

I understand where those who feel insulted are coming from, that's for sure. I had a vacuum cleaner salesman come into my house with an offer to shampoo the carpet in one room with his product; the living room needed a shampoo BAD. His product worked great, and I might have been tempted if he hadn't let loose a string of insults about the product that I already owned. I told him that insulting my choice was the same as insulting my judgement, and he had just lost the sale for doing it. I hope he learned something.

wintersun99
December 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
But what if we find bickering entertaining?Oh Spidiemom :grouphug: and that's why I love ya!

Sissy
December 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I would have been pretty insulted!

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Oh Spidiemom :grouphug: and that's why I love ya!

Me too you, Carolyn.

~GypsyCurls~
December 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ah I hate that! Once at a past job this woman I was ringing up gave me her card and was telling me about her conditioning treatments, I felt kinda insulted because she was basically saying my hair looked damaged (actually, it wasn't at the time so I don't know if she was assuming it was dry becasue it's curly). Then she was teling me about what colors I could dye it ( I had *just* dyed it actually, and dammit it was the color I wanted it to be!)

wintersun99
December 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM

purplebubba
December 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think this is the bottom line when it comes to hairstylists passing out these cards.

If you want to give me a card fine. Give me a card. But I will use it to get what "I" want to get. Do not try to sell the card to me by telling me what "You" are going to do.
The whole point of passing out the cards is to get clients not makeover people. That means if I want to use it for a trim then that is my option. If I want a new look that is my option too.

It all comes down to tact. You want me in your chair you better treat me like you care about me. And I better believe that you care. If I'm nothing but a head of hair that you want to shape to make a buck then I'm not your client. And I won't pass the card on to people I know either.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
My DH and DS mostly approach builders and tell them that they could offer a very competitive bid on the next project. They almost never deal with homeowners.

I understand where those who feel insulted are coming from, that's for sure. I had a vacuum cleaner salesman come into my house with an offer to shampoo the carpet in one room with his product; the living room needed a shampoo BAD. His product worked great, and I might have been tempted if he hadn't let loose a string of insults about the product that I already owned. I told him that insulting my choice was the same as insulting my judgement, and he had just lost the sale for doing it. I hope he learned something.

was this by any chance a kirby vaccum? my mom had this done and ended up buying it and it cost $800. Needless to say she used it for many years. As for the argumentive thing I don't want my post to be the always contriversary post. God know I accidently did enough of them before :lol:

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
was this by any chance a kirby vaccum? my mom had this done and ended up buying it and it cost $800. Needless to say she used it for many years. As for the argumentive thing I don't want my post to be the always contriversary post. God know I accidently did enough of them before :lol:

I believe that it was a Kirby. That sounds familiar. We had a Rainbow at the time. That thing was expensive too!

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I believe that it was a Kirby. That sounds familiar. We had a Rainbow at the time. That thing was expensive too!

was it old fahioned looking, heavy as hell and the bottom pure solid metal?

Lady Lilya
December 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ah I hate that! Once at a past job this woman I was ringing up gave me her card and was telling me about her conditioning treatments, I felt kinda insulted because she was basically saying my hair looked damaged (actually, it wasn't at the time so I don't know if she was assuming it was dry becasue it's curly). Then she was teling me about what colors I could dye it ( I had *just* dyed it actually, and dammit it was the color I wanted it to be!)

When you specialize in conditioning treatments and dying hair, perhaps every head looks like it needs those services.

Kinda like when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM

It was heavy, I do remember that. The rest is foggy.

DragonLady
December 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I think this is the bottom line when it comes to hairstylists passing out these cards.

If you want to give me a card fine. Give me a card. But I will use it to get what "I" want to get. Do not try to sell the card to me by telling me what "You" are going to do.
The whole point of passing out the cards is to get clients not makeover people. That means if I want to use it for a trim then that is my option. If I want a new look that is my option too.

It all comes down to tact. You want me in your chair you better treat me like you care about me. And I better believe that you care. If I'm nothing but a head of hair that you want to shape to make a buck then I'm not your client. And I won't pass the card on to people I know either.

Agreed. A simple: "Hi, my name is Liz and I'm a beautician. Please take my card and don't hesitate to call me if you'd like a trim or some streaks" would be sooo much better. No insults, no suggestions, no "I'm an arteest" attitude.

MandaMom2Three
December 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Oh my goodness, LONG time ago I was going to actually get my beautician certification but never did. Now I wish I still lived where I could (I could have gone to night school where we lived 5 years ago!) and have a salon that is GOOD for your hair!! Like offering SMT's while getting your hands hennaed and cool stuff like that! :D That would be so fun!

intothemist1999
December 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Just wondering why you think/assumed you were the only one given a card, because of hair length? It could be that she was promoting her salon (or herself) and everyone was being approached... it's a marketing idea and it happens often... :shrug:

I don't think I'd trust "Joe Blow" (or Joy Blow) from off the street offering me ANYTHING! I think it's bad manners, too. To me it's like having flyers stuck on your windshield.

In her case, stopping people in the loo is just tacky.

intothemist1999
December 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
But what if we find bickering entertaining?

:D you're a hoot!

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
:D you're a hoot!

Now that was entertaining!

wintersun99
December 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Demetrue
December 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
It would feel like a violation of privacy to me if someone approached me in the bathroom .. especially if a hand just appeared under the bathroom stall holding a business card (I know that's not what happened, but the image is kind of creepy in a strangely humorous way to me).

noelgirl
December 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Insult sales are the fastest way to lose my business, and not just with hair-related products and services. Last week, I was at the mall, and a woman from a skin-care kiosk came up to me and grabbed my hands and was like, "Can I see your hands?" I replied, "Um, I think you already are . . . " Then, she starts dragging me towards what looked like a microscope while asking if she could show me something, and I pulled myself free and told her that I had to go. Which was actually true, my sister was waiting for me a few stores down :p

My take has always been that if I need something, I'll seek it out. In this case, yes, I am aware that my hands get dry in the winter. This apparently makes me a freak of nature who belongs under a microscope.

Darkhorse1
December 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I think she was just doing something for business. Maybe take it as a compliment that your hair was lovely and she wanted to add 'style'. That's where I laugh because to me, long hair is stylish--short hair isn't. I mean, what can you do with short hair? Other than use more products on it.

Stevy
December 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM

I was going to say 'Yeah, but approaching people in the bathroom like this lady did?' and then I realised that if someone gave me a card for a plumbing business when I was in a public toilet I'd think it was quite funny and appropriate.

RavennaNight
December 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I think it is a clever way to play on people's insecurities. Someone who claims to be an expert about hair tells you what they think needs to be done, tells you in a public environment, and hands you their card. Now most of us folks here I notice have a wonderful level of confidence and self esteem, as well as intelligence. So of course most would be insulted! It's like the whole ambush makeover thing. Some people get attacked by these things and are unsure of themselves and think "Oh wow. There must be something wrong. Maybe they are right! Why else would they have approached me!" The people who play like this are specifically trying to tap into people's insecurities to make a buck, in my opinion. Most of us cut our own hair. To others, that might seem daring and b@llsy. "Arent you afraid you will cut it crooked, why don't you let me do it for you for $?" Hairstylists come in to my store all the time peddling their services. Their line always consists of trying to break your confidence, tell you what they think is wrong (in front of others), and then how they will solve all of your perceived woes.

vindo
December 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I think she was just looking for potentional customers...:confused:

I don't even get asked any more...people seem to think I am beyond cut off length...:p

Lady Lilya
December 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not afraid I will cut mine crooked. It is so curly you couldn't tell anyway.

zen_oven
December 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Whew. I consider myself really lucky. My stylist is all for me growing my hair super long and was thrilled to hear about the stuff I learned on LHC. She is awesome and always listens to exactly what I want.

winter_star
December 12th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't find it insulting. It's a marketing tool many, many business' use all the time. I agree that she could have waited until you were out of the bathroom though.

My friend actually had a bad experience with a stylist the other day. She was getting her hair trimmed and bangs. Her hair is currently in a short bob, but she has been trying to grow it long for a few months now. Her stylist tried to convince her to cut it shorter and said "longer hair looks silly on older women" She is only 30! Needless to say my friend didn't cut her hair shorter and left with a very nice and stylish trim, but she also left feeling very pressured and bad about her apperance.

SHELIAANN1969
December 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
First off, what a complete arsehole! I would have looked at his watch, said "oh, you wasted your money, it's a knockoff" and asked him what his problem with long headed hookers was...geeeeeeeez, what an arsemunch!

I am sorry someone had the balls to saythat to you after THEY bumped into YOU, omg, what an awful response.

And secondly, whats a NED?

The only time I can think of recently that I was angry at a complete stranger was this ned whose wrist ever so slightly grazed the side of my bag the other night and he yelled at me that his watch was expensive and called me a "f***ing h**ker" and "f***ing long-haired prick". I actually chose to take the latter as a compliment, because it means my hair's getting long enough that the average passer-by sees it as long :D.

Besides that incident (which made my friend speculate as to how on earth neds reach adulthood), I generally try and assume that people have good intentions, or, at the very least, not malicious ones, even if they are selfish.

SHELIAANN1969
December 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
It would feel like a violation of privacy to me if someone approached me in the bathroom .. especially if a hand just appeared under the bathroom stall holding a business card (I know that's not what happened, but the image is kind of creepy in a strangely humorous way to me).

Haha, like that senator (or whatever he was) who was caught playing footsie in the bathroom? hahaha omg, too funny. (pssssst...here comes hand....want some cheese?:cheese:)

Pegasus Marsters
December 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
First off, what a complete arsehole! I would have looked at his watch, said "oh, you wasted your money, it's a knockoff" and asked him what his problem with long headed hookers was...geeeeeeeez, what an arsemunch!

I am sorry someone had the balls to saythat to you after THEY bumped into YOU, omg, what an awful response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Honestly, this isn't unusual behaviour from youth here. :rolleyes: If you so much as glance at the wrong kid you'll get ripped apart by them. Just the first syllable of "Wot you lookin' at?!" (Apparently their phrase of choice) is enough to make me run away as fast as possible.

Lady Lilya
December 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Ahhhhh, a punk. That is what we call them here in NY. (Not to be confused with the punks of the 80s.)

florenonite
December 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Ahhhhh, a punk. That is what we call them here in NY. (Not to be confused with the punks of the 80s.)

Nah, those punks (80s ones) were ace. Awesome music :D. These ones are awful. I have friends who joke that ned-hunting should be a sport, they're so horrible.

1953Diygal
December 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Nah, those punks (80s ones) were ace. Awesome music :D. These ones are awful. I have friends who joke that ned-hunting should be a sport, they're so horrible.

We call those kinds of people Flatbillers (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flatbiller) out here in the west. I'm allergic to them.

On the opposite side of the spectrum (if I may be permitted a teeny tiny hijack), when I was going to Fullerton Junior College in California, the cosmetology students used to have lunch near where my friends and I did out in the student commons area. This was when I was bleaching my hair to the point of oblivion. Apparently, there was this cosmetology student that used to make fun of my hair, joking about how I needed toner, etc. I wondered why she, being a student and needing practice after all, didn't just come up and ask me if she could help fix my hair. I guess it was more productive to be a Mean Girl. Whatever. It's water off this duck's back.

To the original poster: Try not to be too offended. This is a scary time for a lot of people. I'm sure she's just trying to build up a clientele. Real estate agents have to do the same type of thing.

CaraLynn
December 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Oh my mom ended up buying one of those (a Kirby) from a salesman because she couldn't get him out of the house any other way! I HATE that thing. Just about breaks my back lugging it up and down stairs. :P

Mm that was kind of off topic now. :) Carry on!

Mishka_84
December 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Oh my mom ended up buying one of those (a Kirby) from a salesman because she couldn't get him out of the house any other way! I HATE that thing. Just about breaks my back lugging it up and down stairs. :P

Mm that was kind of off topic now. :) Carry on!

Hmm... I think I'd call the police if he wouldn't leave. Of course, I'm a bit paranoid and won't let anyone into the house if I don't know them.

I don't see anything wrong with handing out business cards in general, but the unsolicited advice would make me toss the card in the nearest garbage can. You can advertise and still be respectul to prospective clients!

Sissy
December 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM

A ned is similar to a chav... Basically, it's a derogatory term for a young working-class male who dresses in track suits and acts in an anti-social manner. There are some funny vids on Youtube of a chav... Devvo the Chav it's called. However, there is vulgarity, so I doubt I would be allowed to post the link here. If you want a good laugh, have a look on Youtube for Devvo. LOL :smile:

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I totally forgot about this. I was in home depot about a few weeks back taking my dd to the potty. So there I am fixing my hair in the mirror and I get this lady handing me a freaking card for a salon. I have no idea what she was mumbling but I told her that I don't cut my hair because a stylist butchered it. She then told me all salons aren't the same. I said well sorry I don't cut my hair. Of course she had short short chopped hair all funky colors. I have nothign against this but don't try to get em to cut. What makes them think just because we have long hair we are soliciting someone to cut it for us? I apparently was a walking sale sign that day :rolleyes:
Check out my post "Growing again: Beware of Razor Artist". They are scary for sure.

BranwenWolf
December 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I avoided salons like the plague for years because of what happened when my mom was getting her hair styled... she'd spend hours in there and whenenever I dropped in to check the other stylists would harass me and go "snip snip" when they walked by. They said some really rude things, all because I had very healthy, nearly knee-length hair.

When I needed a trim-up after I was growing it out again the stylist (at a different salon, of course) was very very nice, saying how she hated to cut such thick hair.

So, not all stylists are awful. I would say handing out business cards for a salon is a bit risky, because it sort of gives a statement to whomever is getting the card.... like if a person was handing out cards for a gym. The reciever would think "Am I fat? Is that what they're trying to tell me?"

Solange
December 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM
A customer I served at my workplace informed me she was a hairdresser and started telling me what she wanted to do with my hair, after insulting it, that is. First she tells me my ends aren't all even, that she could do a protein treatment to make it shinier, she suggested layers, but then changed her mind because it wasn't thick enough. Thaaaanks! I'm used to people being amazed at how *healthy* my hair is being so long. That's specifically the type I wouldn't allow to touch it; she was more interested in what she wanted than what I'd want.