PDA

View Full Version : Hair on my temples won't grow!

Neorah
December 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Back in 2005, I made the big chop. Since then, I've been growing my hair out... I had a few haircuts here and there, and maintained around APL for a while, but never cut it back to anything so drastic as before. But for some reason, the hair on my temples is still barely longer than chin length! I clearly remember that when my hair was long before I had it cut, the hair at my temples was as long as the rest of my hair, because I remember leaving that bit hanging down sometimes when I put my hair in half-ups or updos... So why hasn't it grown back?

Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

These aren't hairs that have always been wispy and fine. They used to be as long as the rest of my hair, but it seems like they haven't grown back after they were cut Does temple hair have a different growth rate or something? It's been over 3 years since they got cut!

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Are they damaged or broken? I know the hair in front tends to takea beating more for up dos, combing, sleeping, pony tails, washing etc.
Also some people have reported hair grows at different speeds in different sections on their head.

jivete
December 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
The hair around the sides of my face is always shorter than the rest. For me, I think it's from damage/handling.

BlackfootHair
December 9th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think a satin pillow case has helped me. I thrash around a lot at night, and that has helped my hair quite a bit. :)

MandaMom2Three
December 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
My temple hair is pretty much always the same length, about 3 or 4 inches. It doesn't look damaged at all and I think it looks cute :D

UP Lisa
December 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
My former bangs, and the hair in front of the ears has never grown past chin length or so. I think it did when I was a teenager, but it doesn't anymore. I don't really care except that it doesn't stay in a ponytail or braid. Only in a high updo.

sahiba
December 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
The hair around the sides of my face is always shorter than the rest. For me, I think it's from damage/handling.

Me too ,they don't seem to grow.

Speedbump
December 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have always had shorter hair around my face. It either grows more slowly and/or has a shorter terminal length. I realized it, for sure, when I saw a photo of me when I was quite young and saw the same "wings" in the front when the rest of my hair was pulled back.

EdG
December 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Same here. My temple hairs have a short terminal length. :)
Ed

HairColoredHair
December 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I always figured my nape/temple/other hairline hair was sort of 'inbetween' the short terminal hair on my skin and the long terminal hair on my scalp. I have very short hairs, and the chin length ones you describe. The shorter ones bother me more... they get in my eyes!

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I've got short ones too, that never seem to grow longer than a few inches, and seem to get easily damaged besides. (I'm trying to be good about that, but they're the ones that always get pulled back.)

It could well be that, as "in between" hairs, they grow more slowly than normal head hairs.

There was a thread about mature hairlines, a while back, which might apply. The thrust of it was that somewhere between 20 and 30, most women lose a little of the thickness around their temples that they had in highschool. It could be a combination of slow growth and loss of thickness that's caused you to have a few new "wispies." I wouldn't worry about it, but keep them safe from damage, because they do tend to get a lot of handling.

mamaherrera
October 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I have this too, in my temples and as it goes back, farther in, they start to get slightly longer, but still lined up to my ear, they're only about 6-7 inches long.

MidnightSunlite
October 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah I noticed that, my bangs that I've cut they barely go past the chin and they don't seem to be growing. I just think they are growing slower then the rest of the hair, due damage and handling and lets not forget how we sleep.

I think we should handle the temple/front/bangs of out hair less.. like keep it to a minimum and just take of care of them more. Maybe if we do that we will see growth longer then around chin length.

mamaherrera
September 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I have a specific question about this if anyone can take the time to check this out. Many of you say you have short temple hairs that grow 2-3 inches max. OK gotcha, but is that just the hairline that they are that short, and then immediately they get long?? I ask, because I notice mine are short at my temples, but they stay short for an inch inward, going in from my hairline, not like my daughter, who right away her hairs become long, she just has a short little patch right at her temple at the hairline. Anyone else like me, where there is an inch of area of temple hair that stays at that short terminal length?? Mine are very obvious because they all curl up like backwards "c"s, so you see there little patch where instead of growing and going down, they just curl up and don't get past three inches. Curious because I fear that my terminal length is shortening or something.

chelsea89ms
October 1st, 2014, 09:16 PM
Yes my temples are just like that. Mine looks kind of like a widows peak because the hair is very short and grows in a light brown/blonde color. Looking closer at it now it seams the hair there is also thinner than the rest of my head. But all the hair on my sides near my face grows finer and a lighter color than the rest, the temples are the shortest tho. My daughter who is five years old also has this kind of hairline but her hair is stick straight like her daddy's. I have also noticed that since I stopped my henna/indigo that all of the indigo faded from the edges only leaving me with red edges :roll eyes: but for some reason the rest of my hair is holding onto the color just fine. I think because of the fine delicate texture of my edges that its damages easier and therefore breaks off and doest hold color as well, but thats just a guess..

mamaherrera
October 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM
So your temple hairs stay short even going past the hairline. At least you have fine/thin hairs there, mine really is a widow's peak with no hair there. And what I don't like is when it' finally does start, it still takes another inch for them to grow a decent terminal length. Mine aren't thinner, they start out thick/normal, but they just don't grow.

chelsea89ms
October 1st, 2014, 09:49 PM
Well I have been massaging that area with a mix of EO's, castor oil and jojoba oil to try to thicken it up. Its too soon to tell if it works or not. But if your interested this is the forum http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
Good luck to you!

Ferngear
October 1st, 2014, 09:51 PM
My temple hairs do this too, about 1/2 inch in and just around my ears, and don't seem to want to grow longer than about four or five inches. They're too short to pull back with the rest of it, but too long to just leave them as they curl outward away from my face. I can tuck them behind my ears, but they don't stay tucked and usually the peeping tips just look messy. They also don't curl nicely the way the rest of my hair does. When my hair is long like it is now, it gets pulled down to loose waves; when it's just below shoulder length, it get these perfect ringlets that look like they just came out of curlers, only they're natural (I find it funny that they all twist in the same direction, though!) Why don't my temple hairs, if they won't get long, at least curl in a nice little corkscrew?

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks Ferngear, yours sound like mine, although mine barely make it to 4 inches, I just measured!! But still, like you said, their growth pattern is forward, so when I have bangs, their tips/ends come forward and stick out through my bang. I get EXACTLY what you are saying, and mine actually, 1/2 inch in are only 2-3 inches, it's at 1.25" inward, that they barely make it to 4 inches. I can't even tuck them behind my ear because they don't grow that long either, so I don't know what is up with this mega-area of non-growing hair. I too, wish they would do some cute corkscrews like my daughter, but no, they actually grow down and forward, so it's hard to even lift them up or comb them back. So I have a more transition area than you all I think.

Good idea on the castor oil, but do you do that daily?? If I only wash my hair three times a week, would I do that nightly or just the days I'm going to wash?? I don't know what to think about leaving oil on my scalp for three days straight without washing. How do you all do it?

NormaJean
October 2nd, 2014, 12:21 AM
My temples have wispies because they're always getting stuck in the hinges of my glasses. >_>

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 01:12 AM
Do any of you think that these hairs are just meant to grow short?? I mean, no matter what protective stuff we do, is it possible that it is just normal for some of us to have these extra areas of short terminal length hairs (me, having the biggest area, because 1.25" inch in??) The rest of you would die if you had big areas like me!! I've tried to blame it on everything: my weekly henna, my sleep habits, etc. but looking back, even before I henna-ed, I had these areas, and they're not broken, they're just short, so the henna wouldn't be to blame, because I don't get tangles in this area, so it's not like they're yanking each other out. I don't get what it is. It's annoying as heck, because I do have the "receding hairline" look and then these hairs. . .. but I tend to think no matter how careful I am externally, it's from internally things that these hairs aren't going to grow long.

Wosie
October 2nd, 2014, 02:23 AM
mamaherrera, How did your hairline/the hair around your temples look and behave when you were younger (if you can remember, personally it's hard to remember such things)? Some people just have a higher hairline, just like some people have a low hairline. Nothing wrong or unhealthy about it, although I understand your frustration.

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
That's the thing Wosie, is I don't remember. I always had bangs, or the hair on top was long and would come down over the temples, so honestly I never paid attention, but if you look at my flicker album, https://www.flickr.com/photos/128165614@N08/

I have pictures of it when I was younger and current ones. And you can see my baby picture too!
But until you start looking at fine details, you don't have a clue even if it's your own head!! Mine was definitely high always, I just don't remember if that area of hair never grew.

DreamSheep
October 2nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Hmm, I think to a certain point it is natural. For me it is just my hairline that is very short (I am currently growing out bangs, but they have surpassed chin). However, I am still quite young so it may change in the future - and I certainly have the wispy hairline effect. However, I have seen videos on YouTube that seem to be made for disguising these shorter temple hairs, or even thinning hair, so I'm quite sure it is something natural and that everybody experiences. :)

That said, I wouldn't really obsess over it. I saw your photos and I doubt I would've noticed or thought it abnormal unless pointed out specifically (and even then, not really thought it strange) :) You have lovely hair, so who cares if it is a little shorter at the front ;)

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
so you wouldn't think it looks like a receding hairline?

Hmm, I think to a certain point it is natural. For me it is just my hairline that is very short (I am currently growing out bangs, but they have surpassed chin). However, I am still quite young so it may change in the future - and I certainly have the wispy hairline effect. However, I have seen videos on YouTube that seem to be made for disguising these shorter temple hairs, or even thinning hair, so I'm quite sure it is something natural and that everybody experiences. :)

That said, I wouldn't really obsess over it. I saw your photos and I doubt I would've noticed or thought it abnormal unless pointed out specifically (and even then, not really thought it strange) :) You have lovely hair, so who cares if it is a little shorter at the front ;)

DreamSheep
October 4th, 2014, 03:48 AM
so you wouldn't think it looks like a receding hairline?

To be completely honest, no, not at all, I'd just assume it was natural. :) Really, I think it is normal- I also have wispier shorter hairs in the area. Sometimes I have thought, "hmm, are these a good look?", but I think everyone has them to an extent, they aren't very noticeable and it's just the way we are. :)
If you did want to hide them, I'd perhaps do a fringe or some side bangs if you like the look, but they are a pain to grow out so I wouldn't do that solely for the reason of hiding temple hairs.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 4th, 2014, 04:00 AM
My temple hairs have always been short, I'm sure it's just the transition between the downy cheek hairs and the longer scalp hairs. My temple hairs are 1-4 inches long.

Inching Along
October 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Interesting thread! I have always had what I call baby bangs. They are a short fringe across my forehead, probably two to three inches long, whether I have proper bangs or am growing them out. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! And I also have shorter hairs on the sides of my face. I think those might be new growth, or perhaps they never get very long. I also had a cyst removed from the center front of my hairline a year ago, so the hair that was shaved is only about 4 or 5 inches long...but then there is what I think is a sympathy fringe that is also that long all across my hairline. It's a little frustrating because I am growing out my bangs, which are chin length, and now here's a new set of bangs! :pirate:

mamaherrera
October 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks DreamSheep! I need to remember, it's all natural!

mamaherrera
October 4th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for sharing!! Does really sound like mine, Sarah. From 1 inch to about 3!! If that's all they're gonna grow, guess we can't expect more.

inchingAlong--Glad we could be of help!