PDA

View Full Version : Terrible article in this months RD

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/15-more-things-your-hairstylist-wont-tell-you/article105500.html

The actual mag had ones (http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/13-things-your-hairstylist-wont-tell-you--/article105495.html)in there abuot how women over a certain age NEED to have layers, and you shouldn't have all one length hair like you did in HS because you're not in HS anymore.
I think we all should write in.

velvetcat
December 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
sounds mostly like a hair stylist whinning.

my mother did hair for a living for several years, so I know it from her side and this one just sounds like she (or he) is doing the client a favor by working on them. "leave their problems at the door"? yeah right. that's cute.
Hair styling is part of the service industry, and chastising your clients will not earn you any points.

I don't think writing in will do any good. Most of us come from the perspective that we'd rather avoid going to a salon all together, so our message would get lost.

Dreamernz
December 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I agree with you and think that the 'need' for layers depends entirely on your hair type, face structure and just plainly the type of person you are and whether or not you think it suits you!

dancingbarefoot
December 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Funny, I don't remember having hair all one length in high school. Oh wait, that's because I didn't. :rolleyes:

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
What a crock. :rolleyes:

DragonLady
December 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
lol

Love that it's okay if men tell her things they won't tell their wives because they want sympathy. But women should leave their problems at the door. Does anyone see "desperate divorcee" here? :p

Lamb
December 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Did you notice how the author was sympathetic to the male clients because the salon is the "only place where they can unload," but women should "leave their problems outside the door"? :eyebrows: Sexist, anyone?

:bs:

ETA: DragonLady beat me to it!

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
lol

Love that it's okay if men tell her things they won't tell their wives because they want sympathy. But women should leave their problems at the door. Does anyone see "desperate divorcee" here? :p

Ha Ha I didn't even catch that.

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
No one *needs* layers. Layers or no layers are a want. It's too bad that more women don't do as they want rather then being told what they need :rolleyes: As long as people read and respond to such idiotic trash, the more articles will appear in the media.

dearladydisdain
December 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
"15. Some people are just too large or their cheeks too round for the style they want. They should look at themselves in the mirror sometime."

That one irked me. :rolleyes: They're paying you. Let people do what makes them happy.

Stevy
December 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
This is why stylists don't get my money any more, and haven't for twenty years. 'Too fat for a hairstyle'? Bite me.

As for 'leave hairstylist-speak to the professionals' - lady, you're cutting hair and cozying up to other people's husbands, not operating the Large Hadron Collider. Get over yourself.

BlackfootHair
December 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wow...I guess if I was an idiot I'd find that article enlightning. But I think it's ridiculous. :(

Akiko
December 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
:slap::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap:

This is why I don't go to a salon any more. I self-trim using Feye's method. It works well and I am happier than ever.

AJoifulNoise
December 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
:rollin::wigtongue

That's my only response to the article.

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
This is why stylists don't get my money any more, and haven't for twenty years. 'Too fat for a hairstyle'? Bite me.

As for 'leave hairstylist-speak to the professionals' - lady, you're cutting hair and cozying up to other people's husbands, not operating the Large Hadron Collider. Get over yourself.

Darling Stevy, this made me ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and Hugs!
WD :)

Islandgrrl
December 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Stevy, you are the high point in my day, really and truly! :)

Right back on topic....what a totally idiotic article. And it clearly illustrates many of the reasons I only subject myself to a hairstylist once a year. Since my beloved Henry moved away, anyway (only hairstylist I've ever been to who made me feel like it was his privilege to play with my hair).

mira-chan
December 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Salon? Hair stylists? What are these things they speak of? :p

I've never been to one as a customer, and only once waiting for mum. I've been "living with the consequences" of home trims by mum my whole life. :wigtongue

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Wow, that is one arrogant hair stylist who apparently thinks shes doing you a favor. And if salons are so against overuse of products why do they push a ton of them on you when you are there :rolleyes:

cindy58
December 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I thought there was a very snotty tone to the article, totally aside from the points they were trying to make. Skip that stylist!

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I agree aside from the advice which I thought was shoddy, I just felt it was really really snotty.

spidermom
December 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
hahahahahahahahah; very funny
That was comedy, right?

LutraLutra
December 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
"Layers are the magic remedy"? Really!? Really, are they really? Because right now my stupid-taking-forever-to-freakin-grow-out layers are driving me mad. :p

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Im really bothered by the picture here (http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/13-things-your-hairstylist-wont-tell-you--/article105495.html) with this caption
Don't be afraid to let your hairdresser know what you want, but don't do her job for her. And that blank faced woman.

Hypnotica
December 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I thought some of the points were good - like telling your hairdresser if you like the look she/he have created, that an overload of products doesn't do your hair any good.

Am I nuts..?

florenonite
December 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I thought some of the points were good - like telling your hairdresser if you like the look she/he have created, that an overload of products doesn't do your hair any good.

Am I nuts..?

I agree, some of the points were good, however some of it was just whingeing, as far as I could tell.

Hypnotica
December 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I agree, some of the points were good, however some of it was just whingeing, as far as I could tell.

There was a "13 things your Computer Person won't tell you" there to. Point number one was "reboot your computer". Wahh.....???? I *spend* my days asking people "have you tried to reboot?". I would be in heaven if people tried that first, then called me!

sneakybea
December 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Some of what they said I have no problems with---like tipping the shampoo person properly, and letting the stylist know if you are running late---those fall into the category of treating your stylist with respect. But respect seems to me a two-way street, and that means that the stylist also needs to respect his/her clients' wishes, even if a style seems to them unflattering for their size, age, whatever. Taste is subjective, no matter what the fashionistas would have us think, and rules are made to be broken.

practikalmagik
December 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
"4. Hairdresser school does not teach about counter transference, projection, negative reinforcement, or personality disorders. If you're looking for a therapist, all I have is a tail comb and an opinion...
...13. We see women at their worst. Their hair is wet, they have foils on their hair, they have no makeup on. There's nothing for them to hide behind. So they tell us everything. The truth is, I really don't care what they do sexually. I'm only interested in their hair."

I wish my hairdressers in the past had this attitude. I'm not really a fan of talking to people I don't know and part of the reason I do my own hair now is because the hairdressers I've had always draw me into conversations about STUFF. From holidays to boyfriends to celebrities to families. Beyond my hair and the stylists opinion on the feasability of said hair, silence should reign. Partly so they can concetrate! Then again I could just be a bit grumpy LOL!

It does just seem like a whinge article with the odd sage advice.

Themyst
December 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
This pompous article was obviously written to get a rise out of people. If most hairdressers really thought like that then nobody would go to them. I blame the author.

mommy101405
December 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
lol

lol, That's exactly what I was thinking. Wouldn't want my dh going there. Some of the things were good points but they were no big mysteries anyway. Mostly just a bunch of whining.

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Im really bothered by the picture here (http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/13-things-your-hairstylist-wont-tell-you--/article105495.html) with this caption
Don't be afraid to let your hairdresser know what you want, but don't do her job for her. And that blank faced woman.

That is the type of client they want. Lights and credit card on, nobody home.

Pffft.

MsBubbles
December 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
"Layers are the magic remedy"? Really!? Really, are they really? Because right now my stupid-taking-forever-to-freakin-grow-out layers are driving me mad. :p

Lol!! :lol: . I could not have put it better myself.

I'm glad people keep pointing out all this mediocre writing disguised as informative media. I'd walk straight into the minefield without all the heads up. I avoid reading these articles and any ensuing anonymous/cowardly comments.

I got a free edition of 'Natural Solutions' magazine at work and was happy to see an article about how to grow healthy long hair. Of course, it was still in a magazine so a lot of the info was way off the mark, but it was good to see somebody mention Aubrey Organics products.

Oskimosa
December 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wow... I guess I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really find much wrong with the article besides the tone. I think people in every field have things that their clients or people in general constantly do that irk them. Retailers have that, office workers have that, and surely stylists have that. I do think it's stupid when people come in with a picture of something their hair will never do and then get pissed when the stylist gives it to them and it turns out looking bad because of it.

That's why I roll my eyes when I see the cookie cutter victoria beckham style all over the place; women growing it out with the ends flipped up in all directions because they don't style it. Or because their hair is too thick/too thin for it, or their face shape looks highly... uncomplimented by it. I know shorter hair makes my head look like a bowling ball, for one thing.

But, I remember it's so not my business and I appreciate that everyone can do what they want with their hair, I'm glad of that. And I can TOTALLY understand this stylist's frustration and venting, and take it as that.

Remember: she does not represent the world of stylists and salons, she is merely speaking on behalf of her own feelings and undoubtedly those of some others.

Speckla
December 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Um...shouldn't we know the terminology so we can explain and get exactly the look we want?
________
MIKA SALO (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Mika_Salo)

ole gray mare
December 9th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Sheesh, it just seems like they must all hate their jobs!

I cannot imagine writing an article telling my customers to shove it. It's quite the opposite of customer service, isn't it?

And please get real...don't compare yourself to a dentist or a surgeon. You can't grow back teeth or legs. Moron.

Deborah
December 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
This was written by a petty, whiny sort of person. I'm surprised Reader's Digest would print such drivel.

NiAosSi
December 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Ugh, what a crock of S^%$#. It's always one thing or the other with these mags.

renarok
December 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
This author does not represent the entire industry. My hairstylist is so awesome that I would cry if he quit. He listens to me, and hears my words correctly. (Which are two completely separate things.) He does what I ask him to do, and he doesn't second guess, or try to sway me. I am aware that he is a gem and I tip him very generously.

KiwiLiz
December 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Did you notice how the author was sympathetic to the male clients because the salon is the "only place where they can unload," but women should "leave their problems outside the door"? :eyebrows: Sexist, anyone?
Indeed!

My BF recently had to go to a hairdresser to get his hair cut, he wanted to tidy it up for the funeral of a close friend of his that had taken his own life a few days before. He really didn't want to go to the hairdresser because he knew she'd make small talk with him and this recent event was the only thing going on his life at the time (at least it was the only thing he could think about), I mean he *really* dreaded going. It turned out that she only asked him basic surface questions like where he was from, what he was studying at uni etc... so that was lucky.

I had a hairdresser that would find out your life story, and was genuinely interested too! She also cut exactly the amount that I wanted, she was awesome, but then she sold her business and became cop... good for her, but she was the best hairdresser I've ever had.

Some people are just too large or their cheeks too round for the style they want. They should look at themselves in the mirror sometime.
That's pretty harsh, but I guess it's true, I hope they have tactful ways of explaining this to a client.

Jae6
December 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM
re men vs. women venting at a salon: the article says it was taken from a bunch of interviews of stylists, not just one. so maybe half of them had the gripe about whiny women and the other half totally sympathized w/ men. (shrugs)

i think the only one point i really had a problem with was the one about "don't learn the the terminology". my stylist likes it when i speak "stylist talk", and she makes sure i know what i'm talking about when i use such talk.

i think when i go see my stylist again i'll show her these two lists and see what she thinks. she's diplomatic, but she's also truthful if you ask for it. should be interesting...

anyway, these were definitely written for shock value. they remind me of the occasional best-of-craigslist posts that are from waitstaff, baristas (caffeine and alcohol), etc.

florenonite
December 10th, 2008, 03:07 AM
This author does not represent the entire industry. My hairstylist is so awesome that I would cry if he quit. He listens to me, and hears my words correctly. (Which are two completely separate things.) He does what I ask him to do, and he doesn't second guess, or try to sway me. I am aware that he is a gem and I tip him very generously.

Oh, that's definitely true. Some stylists are awesome, some are awful, just like in any other profession. I love mine, she's been cutting my hair for as long as I can remember, and she knows how I like to part it, and that I don't like to blow-dry (I never did even before LHC), and she knows how my hair behaves.

Loviatar
December 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Whoever wrote this article is just damn rude. I can't put it better than Stevy did, sadly: Get over yourself. :pins:

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 06:06 AM
hahahahahahahahah; very funny
That was comedy, right?
I get readers digest sent to my door every month and they sometimes have articles like this and they aren't designed to be taken seriously.

So if this article had come from RD.co.uk I would have assumed it was a pi$$ take.

So my reaction's the same as Spidermom. Just laugh at it :p

NebraskaChick84
December 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
i think when i go see my stylist again i'll show her these two lists and see what she thinks. she's diplomatic, but she's also truthful if you ask for it. should be interesting....
If you do this you definitely should post what she says here! I'm fascinated now. I went to the college of hair design in february (advanced student) because I wanted layers (they look better in ponytails) and she was so tight lipped. I felt bad for going on about how I loved her name and how tired of being pregnant I was. :o

MusingFrog
December 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I guess I'm another in the minority here. I've seen similar articles for every profession. Sure, I don't agree with every point, but the gist is to remember that a hairdresser is another person, with a job, and treating them like a therapist or your best buddy isn't necessarily a great idea. The tone was a little bit off, but it didn't bother me.

And frankly, I really don't mind articles that say that you must do something a certain way or you'll look like X. In many cases, I can see their point. There have been several people over the past few months (older ladies on here), who have talked about how to soften their faces using their hair. Face framing layers? Not exactly, but that and the "older women must have layers" are getting at the same idea.

Additionally, this article is written to a particular audience. We aren't that audience because the majority of people on this forum do not go in for regular haircuts, don't dye their hair (I know people dye their hair here all the time, but not in the same sense), and aren't really interested in the latest fashions.

I used to be a cashier and would love to have written something like this to my customers. Would I ever have told them it in person? Absolutely not. It is rude and not the place. But, I bet an awful lot of women go into their hairdressers and expect them to only be their therapist but get them some amazing celebrity cut that simply isn't possible with their hair type. Not to mention I'll bet that many are late, cancel at weird times, and generally don't respect their hairdresser as a professional.

As for everyone who has been saying that this article is exactly the reason why they don't go to hairdressers anymore...well...yeah. Lots of women truly like getting their hair cut and wouldn't dream of going against the current fashions with long hair. It is against current fashion to have long hair. Those people are who this article is aimed at.

And that was a much longer response than I had planned.

Oskimosa
December 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I guess I'm another in the minority here. I've seen similar articles for every profession. Sure, I don't agree with every point, but the gist is to remember that a hairdresser is another person, with a job, and treating them like a therapist or your best buddy isn't necessarily a great idea. The tone was a little bit off, but it didn't bother me.

And frankly, I really don't mind articles that say that you must do something a certain way or you'll look like X. In many cases, I can see their point. There have been several people over the past few months (older ladies on here), who have talked about how to soften their faces using their hair. Face framing layers? Not exactly, but that and the "older women must have layers" are getting at the same idea.

Additionally, this article is written to a particular audience. We aren't that audience because the majority of people on this forum do not go in for regular haircuts, don't dye their hair (I know people dye their hair here all the time, but not in the same sense), and aren't really interested in the latest fashions.

I used to be a cashier and would love to have written something like this to my customers. Would I ever have told them it in person? Absolutely not. It is rude and not the place. But, I bet an awful lot of women go into their hairdressers and expect them to only be their therapist but get them some amazing celebrity cut that simply isn't possible with their hair type. Not to mention I'll bet that many are late, cancel at weird times, and generally don't respect their hairdresser as a professional.

As for everyone who has been saying that this article is exactly the reason why they don't go to hairdressers anymore...well...yeah. Lots of women truly like getting their hair cut and wouldn't dream of going against the current fashions with long hair. It is against current fashion to have long hair. Those people are who this article is aimed at.

And that was a much longer response than I had planned.

Thank you, cscheck! I agree with all that you said. If I had wanted to rant a few more paragraphs, I would've wanted to make those points too.

People working in the service industry often have similar experiences to this, I think. And I bet others from all sorts of other fields would like to write a little rant (or maybe they already vent to their friends!) in a similar way, that may or may not be the consensus of others in their field. So it must be taken in that context, must it not?

Tangles
December 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The thing about "chatting" is that hairdressing (and any beauty treatment really) involves strangers touching you, and I think that either creates some sort of bond, no matter how minor, or else feels awkward. For that reason I think opening up a bit is nice for both stylist and customer and sort of makes the whole process less awkward. A lot of people go too far and blab and blab for hours but I think it's nice to have a stylist you're friendly with... if you go to salons, which I certainly don't. :D

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if her face is just blank, or if it's a look of suppressed horror.

I think I'm going to skip that stylist. Some of the "tips" are correct (and others not), but I don't like her attitude.

DaveDecker
December 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Not that I was interested in "voting," but did anyone else notice that the clickable links at the bottom of the text of each page did not include any dissenting choices for "Should Everyone Read this?" It's either "Must Read" or "Yes! Vote for this story" No choice is shown for "No, this is bolshevik!"