PDA

View Full Version : Problems with making hair look gray for a drama this weekend

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 06:57 AM
As you can see in my avi my hair has a lot of blond highlights in it currently. I am playing a "grandma" in a Christmas drama this weekend (3 shows) and last night I tried putting cornstarch in it to make it look gray. It only pretty much made it look blonder. Then I tried some white and some silver Halloween hairspray that didn't do much of anything. So I washed it all out of course to come to work today.

Is there a VERY temporary dark dye that washes out of blond hair completely when washed? I thought if my hair was darker the cornstarch and/or the spray would work better. The other option is a wig which I doubt I can find this late for very cheap anyway!

Any suggestions at all? The first performance is on Friday night.

Sammybunny711
December 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
in my PERSONAL opinion...(as a blond) I would not put ANY dark dye on my hair. Even for a play (I did a LOT of acting when I was younger.) There are a lot of "grandmas" with light blond hair and I think that if you did a "grandmotherly" hairdo, then the color would not matter. Especially with stage makeup. That is just my :twocents: though. :smile:

Hypnotica
December 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
No! Bad idea! No dye!

But I think there is spray paint you can use? Or getting some loose grey eye shadow to sprinkle in you hair? Or

Carolyn
December 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Are you willing to risk your color for a play? I wouldn't do it. I'd use the corn starch or baby powder and call it good enough.

Alana2000
December 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I find baby powder works great for some stange reason, like everyone else above, please do not put anything else in your hair as it might stain it for weeks and weeks...

morguebabe
December 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Powder.
I was involved in filming a VERY low bidget horror movie we had to make a young guy look old. I just used some barber powder in his hair. THe man kind that comes in a green bottle with red top I can't think of the brand right now.
He had really really dark brown APL hair. It worked just fine for film, so I'm sure for stage it would work. (Edit maybe it was mans talc) Maybe this is it (http://www.amazon.com/Clubman-Pinaud-Talc-9-oz/dp/B00006BN44)

Here is an interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZJJpujASU) with the guy with the powder in his hair Look for the guy whose name is Joe Justinor something he is around 2:09 and 3:03 (PS I'm around 6:19)

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
NO, I do NOT want anything that will risk my hair color or health!!! I didn't mean that!

I wonder if baby powder would work better than cornstarch?

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Isn't there some kind of liquid stuff called "Riox" or something that give a leave-in color and washed completely out? I think my Mom used to use this.

Anne~
December 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I suggest a wig.

Peggy E.
December 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Can you hear me laughing hysterically???!!! How to make your hair GRAY???!!! Come to MY house!

Okay. Seriously now. What I'd do because when you start messing around with rinses and sprays and all that gunky stuff that's "temporary" you run into trouble. Blonde is very delicate and picks up all kinds of weird colors - from green to blue.

For three performances it just ain't worth it (unless it's Broadway?) But what will save you lots of time and possible heartache: A wig! Just get a cheapie gray wig, stick some sort of "Grandma" thing in it, do your dance, take it off and call it a day!

And not all "Grandmas" are OLD, OLD, OLD and GRAY, 'ya know! (I am...)

Anyway, that's my advice. For what it's worth - please bear in mind I am being driven insane by snow, SNOW, S N O W!!!! TWO FEET today!! The dogs can't get out!!!! Food can't get IN!!!!! I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone with no end in sight.....

Oh, break a leg in your play - I'll bet you're a fabulous actress!

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
No ha ha not Broadway! But not a "modern" Grandma so I want to LOOK like a "traditional" one with gray hair. It just goes along with the story and makes it funnier. I don't even want to spend the money for a wig. Guess I'll just go with the baby powder and bun at the back and that'll have to do. No it's not worth ANY risk to my hair!! :eek:

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Oh, break a leg in your play - I'll bet you're a fabulous actress!

Oh and thanks!!!! :flower: I LOVE doing this kind of thing.

Peggy E.
December 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I figured it was some "old fashioned granny" you were shooting for and there might be another way around this for you.

Why not do a Gibson sort of top-knot? Braid the knot, even, and pile it on top of your head - no one will spot the blonde and you'll have an old-fashioned granny-looking style without spray, paint, dye or powder!

Anne~
December 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I agree with Peggy especially if you don't want to put any money into it. The powder in blonde hair will probably just make it look dirty.

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I figured it was some "old fashioned granny" you were shooting for and there might be another way around this for you.

Why not do a Gibson sort of top-knot? Braid the knot, even, and pile it on top of your head - no one will spot the blonde and you'll have an old-fashioned granny-looking style without spray, paint, dye or powder!What do you mean? You just mean a braided bun on top of the head with some slack in the other part?? Should I just wear my bangs like they are do you think?

I agree with Peggy especially if you don't want to put any money into it. The powder in blonde hair will probably just make it look dirty.Oooooooooooo I hadn't though of that!

Oh and it's not that I wouldn't WANT to spend ANY money but I have already spent quite a bit on the rest of it. I really can't afford more for a wig.

Peggy E.
December 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM
If the bun was high enough you could probably put the fringe in it, too. Did "Ole Time Grannies" wear fringe/bangs?

What I had in mind was a very high pony, secured loosely at the very top of your head. Either twist your hair or braid it, then make your bun, keeping it very high and not real tight. This will allow a bit of "poofing" and the amount is up to you - if you'd prefer it to be simply a tight top-knot, that would work, too.

Tuck the fringe in and secure with a comb or pins, get grouchy and, voila! Tight Bunned Granny! ;o)

Loviatar
December 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Curlsgirl, I swear by a product from stage makeup shops or fancy dress stores, called 'Clown White', brushed or combed through the hair. I fingercomb it. It is messy to apply, but dries pretty fast. Then I comb again. It is enough to give me white streaks and it washes out (even with just CO) because all it is, is like foundation makeup/greasepaint. You could dust white powder over the top if you wanted once it was dry.

The other thing I have done is use white hair 'colour spray' (again at fancy dress stores or stage shops - Smiffy's is a good brand in the UK, also Hair Flare, but not sure if you have those) sprayed onto a brush and brushed through. Looks natural enough to wear when the play involves close-up interaction with the audience, too.

I do not find I have extra damage from using these, although I do have to shampoo to remove Clown White.

HTH

Magdalene
December 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
With your color you can either go white, which would give you a Mrs. Claus look, or get this:

http://www.broadwaycostumes.com/images/sales/bn-hg-zoom.jpg

I've seen it used on blonde hair. It doesn't show much up close but under the lights it takes the glow out of your blonde.

Or you could just wig out like this (I would go with white personally, but it also comes in gray)
http://www.norcostco.com/ProductImages/1503.jpg

Demetrue
December 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
You could pull it all up into a high top knot and then pin a crocheted lace doily as a bun cover over it.

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
If the bun was high enough you could probably put the fringe in it, too. Did "Ole Time Grannies" wear fringe/bangs?

What I had in mind was a very high pony, secured loosely at the very top of your head. Either twist your hair or braid it, then make your bun, keeping it very high and not real tight. This will allow a bit of "poofing" and the amount is up to you - if you'd prefer it to be simply a tight top-knot, that would work, too.

Tuck the fringe in and secure with a comb or pins, get grouchy and, voila! Tight Bunned Granny! ;o)Oh but I am a sweet old granny! :D

Curlsgirl, I swear by a product from stage makeup shops or fancy dress stores, called 'Clown White', brushed or combed through the hair. I fingercomb it. It is messy to apply, but dries pretty fast. Then I comb again. It is enough to give me white streaks and it washes out (even with just CO) because all it is, is like foundation makeup/greasepaint. You could dust white powder over the top if you wanted once it was dry.

The other thing I have done is use white hair 'colour spray' (again at fancy dress stores or stage shops - Smiffy's is a good brand in the UK, also Hair Flare, but not sure if you have those) sprayed onto a brush and brushed through. Looks natural enough to wear when the play involves close-up interaction with the audience, too.

I do not find I have extra damage from using these, although I do have to shampoo to remove Clown White.

HTHI can't imagine where I could get "Clown White". I wish I had started looking earlier. I just thought this spray I had would work. I am going to look in the yellow book.

With your color you can either go white, which would give you a Mrs. Claus look, or get this:

http://www.broadwaycostumes.com/images/sales/bn-hg-zoom.jpg

I've seen it used on blonde hair. It doesn't show much up close but under the lights it takes the glow out of your blonde.

Or you could just wig out like this (I would go with white personally, but it also comes in gray)
http://www.norcostco.com/ProductImages/1503.jpgOh I like that! I could do those little tendrils for sure!

You could pull it all up into a high top knot and then pin a crocheted lace doily as a bun cover over it.

Lady Lilya
December 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I've used regular old talcum powder on my brown hair, and the brown hair of others, with much success. Except on the guy who kept sweating buckets. Then I kept having to re-apply and it looked bad.

Curlsgirl
December 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I've used regular old talcum powder on my brown hair, and the brown hair of others, with much success. Except on the guy who kept sweating buckets. Then I kept having to re-apply and it looked bad.

Yeah I think it's the blond that is the problem. I am just going to go with a high braided poofy bun I think. I may use some baby powder to sort of dull the shine. Who would have ever thought I would be trying to DULL my hair :)

Angellen
December 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Your hair is just too fabulous, that's all. ;) I was thinking talcum powder, too, and I think one of those hairstyles will be perfect. I'm kind of envisioning that opening scene in the Nutcracker, with all of them dressed in that late Victorian type attire... the hairstyles from that seems to be rather fitting. Classic, you know. :)