PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts, haircuts, all around me

Boots
December 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
So I've been very frustrated with how thin my hair seems lately, because I'm not trimming and my bottom, thinnest layer is longish now. I feel like it looks so bad. Two friends are trying to convince me to chop. And another coworker just went from bsl to chin!
Then I came home an DH shaved his head! So sad...

Is it a sign? I posted pics in my album to remind myself how far I've come since the ill-advised bob. And I'm trying cassia this weekend, hoping for some thickness. I want it long, but right now it seems miles away from being the heavy, lush curtain I want... I wonder if it will even look good long :(

Pls check out my pics and tell me not to cut! I'll have to take a shot with my hair "done" so you can see what it's looking like now. Most recent pic is just a length shot, not styled. Older shots don't have the mullett-y layer in back yet.

maskedrose
December 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Your newest pictures aren't that clear, but my reaction would be to trim a couple of inches - maybe up to the top of your white tanktop? If you got a gentle U-shaped hem it would really improve your thickness at the bottom. That said, I'm really not a fan of fairy-tale ends, so if that is the look you're going for, then perhaps you should leave it.

You said in your post that you would post of pic of it styled? Do you still blowdry and stuff? If so, that might really be hampering your progress. It looks like you have some lovely waves there!

joyfulmom4
December 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Remember the two week rule before you do anything drastic!

Now, about your hair. I had a hard time making out the current appearance from the photos, but it looks like you've made nice progress since you started. And you've got pretty hair. It looks nice and thick too. I'm sure that it's challenging to deal with growing out ends and layers and all, but you're reaching the point where your efforts will really begin to pay off soon.

I think the hardest part is when you're still working on layers and you haven't quite reached the point where you really feel like it's *long* already. You're still at the point of "growing long". But just a few more months, perhaps a year, and you'll be feeling like a long hair b/c you'll be past this difficult stage.

Should you cut? I think your own post speaks volumes. You are seeking encouragement to stick it out, not to cut. You also mentioned that you'd cut before and regretted it. I think that tells it all. You don't really want short hair. You just don't want this particular stage you're in either. That sounds pretty normal to me. But you'll get past this stage. And when you do, you're going to be so pleased. I just know you will.

Think of the pretty updos you'll be able to do. And remember, you can start doing many of them with relatively short hair. If you aren't liking your hair at present, my best advice is to invest in a couple of pretty clips and learn to put your hair up in a french twist or other style that doesn't need too much length. You'll feel better instantly and you won't have to struggle with styling in-between hair.

lora410
December 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I can't see the picts that well and I can't tell you not to cut becuase that is your choice. I can tell you there are alot of thin long haired ladies here with beautiful hair. If you cut you will only have to grow it over again. it will take years to grow. I have been growing mine since it was 2" from a salon butchering and thus far it has taken me 2yrs and 2 months to get where I am at. If you are unhappy with the ends then do a small trim. You wont know if you like/look good long hair until you actually try and strive for it. Personally I have never saw anyone who didn't look good :)

Boots
December 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Your newest pictures aren't that clear, but my reaction would be to trim a couple of inches - maybe up to the top of your white tanktop? If you got a gentle U-shaped hem it would really improve your thickness at the bottom. That said, I'm really not a fan of fairy-tale ends, so if that is the look you're going for, then perhaps you should leave it.

You said in your post that you would post of pic of it styled? Do you still blowdry and stuff? If so, that might really be hampering your progress. It looks like you have some lovely waves there!

No, I've quit heat styling, I used to flat iron it, then I started blowing it partially out to turn my curls into looser waves. Now I am experimenting with that segmented ponytail trick at night to do the same. I prefer it wavy but it gets a bit too curly and frizzy natural. I got rid of my heat tools though. lesson learned there.

sneakybea
December 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Don't cut! I think your hair looks good in the pictures, but I remember how difficult it can be waiting for your hair to grow! Now is the time to experiment a little, like you're going to with cassia, and with new styles. Maybe look through the articles section where there are styles for different lengths of hair. I know when I was growing through a stall having my hair up, out of the way, kept me from obsessing about the length too much, and eventually it got down to my waist.
You can't really tell how your hair will look long until you get there, but maybe you could find some members with similar texture and thickness and see how their hair has looked at various lengths. Good luck!

girlcat36
December 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have this same problem--but worse. I just posted a thread about it, and I was convinced by everyone to stick it out, and not cut.
So I will say the same to you--don't cut. Learn a new hairstyle, or get some new hairtoys to distract you.
Hang in there!

Beloved
December 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Boots, your hair looks like it has thickened up a lot at the scalp. Are you doing anything special?

Don't trim unless it's what you want. When I grew out my hideous layers, small blunt trims made them look better and made me feel better.

spidermom
December 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've trimmed throughout my growing adventure. July 2008 to July 2009, I'm not trimming. I just want to see what my hair does if left alone. If you are the kind of person who prefers a thicker, kempt hem, then trim a bit. 1/4 to 1/2 inch won't take off much length, but it will give you a little more thickness and definition right at the bottom.

DecafJane
December 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Don't cut, particularly when people are cutting around you. On the lighter side of things, it means that soon you will have the longest hair in the room. ;)

It sounds to me like you don't want to cut, but you want your hair thick. So don't do it - don't cut, and stick it out for a bit longer. If you need to thicken, do as others have suggested and go for a small trim. Whatever you do, DON'T go for a big cut. :)

crystal_89
December 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Hey boots, I'm another person who suggests that you don't cut. Cutting will only set you back further and make your goal harder to reach. If in two weeks you're still thinking of cutting just cut like 1/2inch -> 1 inch... it will only set you back 1-2 months but can make your hair feel completely different. Plus, if you're trying to grow out your layers, you may find it a good thing.

In the end, the choice is yours, but it seems that you don't really want to cut.

Katze
December 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
again, it's hard to see your pics, but from what I can tell we have a similar problem (and check out Girlcat's thread on this, as well as the thread 'maintaining for a blunt hemline' for others in the same boat).

Your hair has gorgeous wave and shine, and it looks like it's quite thick at the crown. The problem as you see it are the ends. Why not wait a few days, see how you feel, then trim only 1/2 inch. You can slowly cut damage or thin layers without doing a big chop!

Many people do like the fairytale ends look, especially on wavier hair. For me, it makes my hair look unhealthy even if it isn't, so I am sacrificing length for thickness and quality. If you choose this route, you are not alone!

good luck and let us know what you decide. :flower:

Addy
December 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Well, I think you are beautiful and I just wanna tell you... Don't CUT your HAIR!

Trim? Maybe. Cut? No WAY! :D

Oh and remember the 2 week rule! :eyebrows:

Honey39
December 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'm a trimmer, so I would argue for regular trims of 1/2 an inch (say every four months) - will thicken your hemline up, and for me I get good progress that way. My hair tends to split though. But I like using it as a marker, so I get half my growth cut off every three months.

Remember, no matter what, hair grows. You can grow it down to your thighs in five years - I like taking the long view on hair, lol.

You have very pretty hair, so don't do anything drastic!

Islandgrrl
December 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM
As others have said: 2 week rule!

It was hard for me to tell much from the pictures, but from what I could tell that longest layer is a bit thinner than the rest. I'm growing out layers and fringe and it's a pain in the tush, but survivable! When I trimmed back in September I ONLY trimmed the bottom layer about an inch, and it did really help my hemline look better. If you opt for a trim, I'd suggest just trimming the longest layer and leaving the rest alone.

Come over and join the Hair Up Challenge (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102). Best way I've found yet to give yourself a break from overthinking things!

Peggy E.
December 9th, 2008, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Boots;373934] <snip>
Is it a sign? I posted pics in my album to remind myself how far I've come since the ill-advised bob. A <snip>

Yes, it's a sign: That other people have decided to cut their hair for whatever reason they had for doing so! Has absolutely nothing on the face of this snow-engulfed earth to do with you and YOUR hair.

Tell them how nice they look (IF they do); smile pretty and say nothing to the ones who have sadly done themselves a serious disservice (they'll think you're jealous); go on about your life growing your hair to where you want your hair to be.

It IS your hair, after all. Nobody asked you for your opinion before they got their cuts/shaves, right? So why do you feel you need to bow to the judgement of others who don't really have your welfare in mind, so much as what they hold as their own prejudices and mindset, tunnel-vision?

You are a lovely young woman with beautiful hair - grow it to where you wish it to be and enjoy doing something for yourself!

MsBubbles
December 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
A sign? The sign is, you want long, beautiful hair. The sign is you're here because of that. Otherwise I say :wigtongue:silly::razz: to signs!!

For what it's worth, hop on over to the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16573) I started for those of us trying to grow out layers. It's painstaking and for me requires way more patience than just letting it grow with no trimming.

Laila23
December 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Don't cut.

Long hair looks really nice on you from the pictures I've seen

LutraLutra
December 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Having looked at your pics, I agree with everyone else. Trim a little off the very ends, but don't have a big cut.

Fantak
December 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm with everyone else don't cut! I'm going through the same thing as you with super thin ends. I've decided not to trim until I'm at classic length and then will maintain for a bit until my ends thicken up ^.^

If in 2 weeks your hair is still bothering you, trim and inch or so off the ends it'll make a world of difference and will save the greater part of the length

HTH ^.^

Boots
December 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the support. It's true, I don't want to cut. It's just frustrating to want my hair to fall heavily down my back and... it's not. In a few more weeks, I will see if I still feel like a tiny trim on that bottom layer... it's the part that is really bothering me. But I really don't want to lose length... it's taking so long to get any! I keep thinking that once it hits a certain length, I won't be so upset to lose an inch or two to thicken up the hem... I'm not sure what this magical length is, but I'd like to reach it soon.

Speckla
December 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Sing with me (to let it snow)

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow...:)
________
X4 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_X4)