PDA

View Full Version : Sleep caps

lora410
December 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ok, so my hair is sadly to the point where it is begging me to protect it. Eventhough I use a satin pillowcase it isn't enough. I hate braids and braid waves so that was out. So I went upon my search online for a satin sleep cap and found the neatest one ever and havent found any others like it.http://www.maverickwear.com it is the classic lucy one and has an area esp for us longhairs!!!!It is adjustable in the front for a perfect fit. I am wicked excited and it should ship out by this friday. I am not sure if that is the print I will get but I dont care becuase it isn't like the granny bonnets :lol: So of course I had to come enable :twisted: You wont recieve an email confirmation for the order until a few days later just in case you do order one.

carloota
December 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM
OMG you are an enabler. I clicked on the link and that sleep cap is very nice. I would buy it, but I already own 3 sleep caps that I don't even use. LOL

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
About once a month I sleep with my hair down. Just to give my scalp a break. I have to pull the hank of hair up from under my head/shoulders. But this is following a thorough oiling and wash and air dry, not sleeping on it wet, ever. So I think the oiling makes it slippery enough. We have just percale cotton sheets and pillowcases BTW.

It is comfortable, and the tangling these days is quite minimal.

For me it is better to keep my hair at the top back of my crown, so I can lay on my back, or either side, with no pulling. When I braid overnight still I bring the braids up the same way.

Perhaps I have trained my scalp to tolerate it but that is what feels comfortable.

Just my experience.

Love and Hugs!
WD :)

Themyst
December 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I do use a sleeping cap, just the Wal-mart variety. It is not big enough for my hair so it winds up slipping off and just hanging off my bun during the night. So lovely!:rolleyes:

I looked at the Lucy model and like it - but I'm curious about the velcro in the back. The very thought of velcro being near my hair terrifies me. I have two children's chef hats for my kids that adjust with a velcro strip - it gets caught in their hair every time we use them. Invariably, hair will slip out from under the cap and get caught in it.

I wonder if this will be the case with these. I'll be looking forward to feedback!

EDIT: The Classic Lucy model does NOT contain velcro. The sleeping pretty style does. I must have mixed up the descriptions when I read them. Sorry for the confusion. This might indeed be a very cool thing.

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I do use a sleeping cap, just the Wal-mart variety. It is not big enough for my hair so it winds up slipping off and just hanging off my bun during the night. So lovely!:rolleyes:

I looked at the Lucy model and like it - but I'm curious about the velcro in the back. The very thought of velcro being near my hair terrifies me. I have two children's chef hats for my kids that adjust with a velcro strip - it gets caught in their hair every time we use them. Invariably, hair will slip out from under the cap and get caught in it.

I wonder if this will be the case with these. I'll be looking forward to feedback!

Velcro???? I would not go near that!!!

Have you any reason not to stitch a bonnet from tulle? I know this is an old method, but I'd try it before Velcro.

Love and Hugs!

Themyst
December 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Have you any reason not to stitch a bonnet from tulle? I know this is an old method, but I'd try it before Velcro.

Love and Hugs!

Ummm... by 'stitch a bonnet', do you mean sew? :agape:

I've never been able to master my seamstress skills. I've stopped trying. :) I really do admire those who do have the talent, though.

The Lucy bonnet just looked much more appealing than my mint green Wal-mart cap. If only it didn't have the velcro!

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Ummm... by 'stitch a bonnet', do you mean sew? :agape:

I've never been able to master my seamstress skills. I've stopped trying. :) I really do admire those who do have the talent, though.

The Lucy bonnet just looked much more appealing than my mint green Wal-mart cap. If only it didn't have the velcro!

Oh my dear Themyst!!!

Please do link to the bonnet you have in mind!!!

The linky I clicked didn't seem to have the right idea. Seems that it was to make rags, braids, curlers, compatible with a pillow, instead of the other way around.

So if you would, please linky so I would be able to see and not just assume.

A bonnet, it would have double sides, with the smoothness next to the mane, and also to the bedding.

Tulle, is, by itself, double-sided. I'm not sure that any of these other bonnets would work for you. And therefore just to consider another solution for your sleeping/resting tresses.

Hugs!

Alia
December 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Using a Wal-Mart granny-style sleep cap has made a big difference in shine and cowlicks. Sleeping on my side without one just teases the things into sproinky, evil horns.:twisted:

Themyst
December 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Oh my dear Themyst!!!

Please do link to the bonnet you have in mind!!!

The linky I clicked didn't seem to have the right idea. Seems that it was to make rags, braids, curlers, compatible with a pillow, instead of the other way around.

So if you would, please linky so I would be able to see and not just assume.

A bonnet, it would have double sides, with the smoothness next to the mane, and also to the bedding.

Tulle, is, by itself, double-sided. I'm not sure that any of these other bonnets would work for you. And therefore just to consider another solution for your sleeping/resting tresses.

Hugs!

It's the one that lora410 (the op) was talking about:

http://www.maverickwear.com (http://www.maverickwear.com)

Did you see this yet? The one I was looking at was the classic Lucy one. I think I also liked the material design. But it says it has velcro in the back. I have a hard time keeping sleeping caps on my head, I don't even know if one would work for me. Maybe it's just the shape of my head.

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
It's the one that lora410 (the op) was talking about:

http://www.maverickwear.com (http://www.maverickwear.com)

Did you see this yet? The one I was looking at was the classic Lucy one. I think I also liked the material design. But it says it has velcro in the back. I have a hard time keeping sleeping caps on my head, I don't even know if one would work for me. Maybe it's just the shape of my head.

Oh, yes, I did see it. And I would agree that the closure is treacherous. Which again, I'd wonder with your description of your experience, that perhaps, a cap like that may not be best for you. Tulle has the "same" friction on both sides, or, lack there of on both sides, which is why it is used in formal gowns and wedding dresses and veils. But one would have to fashion it. Unless of course someone has a source for a tulle bonnet.

Perhaps one's sleep is disturbed, causing then a "chain reaction" in tangled hair and restful sleep?

Dunno, just trying to think of solutions.

No offense. HTH! One would need to custom-fashion a tulle bonnet, but I would be happy to help. :)

Hugs!

Themyst
December 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
No offense. HTH! One would need to custom-fashion a tulle bonnet, but I would be happy to help. :)

Hugs!

Thank you for the offer to help. I am a very restless sleeper and additionally, I have a cat that likes to sleep across my neck.:) I've just recently become aware of the importance of protecting my hair while I sleep. Soon I will take some time to look around to see what options are available.

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the offer to help. I am a very restless sleeper and additionally, I have a cat that likes to sleep across my neck.:) I've just recently become aware of the importance of protecting my hair while I sleep. Soon I will take some time to look around to see what options are available.

Oh dear Themyst!! A sleep kitteh!! We had to kick out the wedgeheads from our bedroom. So hard to do. But they wanted to sleep on top of our faces. If not there then on our necks UNDER the sheets etc. Yikes. Pfffft. Then when they'd fight, they scratched our faces. So finally we had to kick them out.

I will never tell anyone not to have kitteh sleeping with them, but ours have adjusted. And during the day I will lay out in the recliner and let them pile on (over 50 lbs. of them auuuggghh) and snuggle and nuzzle etc. and take a short nap with them.

It is cute at night, but, like in a few minutes, I get to go to bed, snuggle up with my hubby, and the wedgeheads have made their own pile in hubby's recliner or where ever, and I can sleep without a mouthful of cat hair. And my own tresses aren't out of control, tangled, and protected from mischief and mayhem.

OK, we don't have a bed curently, but we are making do.

Don't get me started on that.

Love and Hugs!

itsMEowKat
December 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Of course, there's always the silk sleep bonnets from Tenderheaded. No velcro there.

http://www.tenderheaded.com/sislbo.html

WindowDressing
December 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Of course, there's always the silk sleep bonnets from Tenderheaded. No velcro there.

Silk is a fantastic natural fiber. Good choice, as it is the same on both inside and out.

Hugs!

Themyst
December 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Nice, yes, yet not as fancy as the Maverick Wear ... I really liked the Maverick Wear if it wasn't for the velcro.

The big red one from tenderheaded might look like a mighty rose on my head ... but it might do the job just fine.

I've got to stop trying for the movie star look as I sleep. That's probably unrealistic. :p

Cinnamon Hair
December 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I've got to stop trying for the movie star look as I sleep. That's probably unrealistic. :p

I like the cheap Walmart or drugstore version myself. Can toss them in the washing machine with the sheets and when the elastic stretches out I either hand sew a few inches of the edge together (only takes a couple mins.) or toss it for a new one.
No bed mate here, so I'm not worried about the super model look. :)

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Love and Hugs!

yeah, that fact that I am no talented with thread and needle like my mother. My fiancee was thinkign of getting me sewing classes.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM

The one I am lookign at one doesnt say anything about velcro. It says its an elastic tie. You ladies are looking at the wrong one :lol:

Classic Lucy (http://www.maverickwear.com/index.html#pics) style is ideal for covering loose hair, medium length to longer hairstyles, voluminous braids, locs and with the use of hair rollers. Combination elastic in front with tie in back adds to your fitting comfort.

Themyst
December 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM
The one I am lookign at one doesnt say anything about velcro. It says its an elastic tie. You ladies are looking at the wrong one :lol:

Classic Lucy (http://www.maverickwear.com/index.html#pics)style is ideal for covering loose hair, medium length to longer hairstyles, voluminous braids, locs and with the use of hair rollers. Combination elastic in front with tie in back adds to your fitting comfort.

:doh:All that time and energy I wasted last night thinking the wrong thing. I just might order this one then - it's so pretty! And I do like the fact that it is adjustable (the tie).

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
:doh:All that time and energy I wasted last night thinking the wrong thing. I just might order this one then - it's so pretty! And I do like the fact that it is adjustable (the tie).

Lol trust me if it had velcro I wouldn't have ordered one ;)

GibsonGirlV
December 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Ooh, how nifty! I have a wal-mart cap and a CVS cap and they both suffice, but I would love to have something like this. I have the problem where the CVS cap's elastic is much too tight, so it can be uncomfortable at times. I would love to have a cap made of real silk as opposed to just polyester.

I'm no great shakes at sewing (I really want to take classes to improve), but this looks like it would be fairly easy to duplicate to some extent or another. I'm inspired to keep my eyes open at thrift stores for some old garment made of silk that I can dismember to create a custom sleep cap. Maybe I can even come up with something that doesn't make me feel overwhelmingly unattractive :p

Themyst
December 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oh, RATS! I just tried to order one of the Lucy's but they're out of the purple one with flowers. Apparently, they don't have a website yet representing the other colors they do carry but expect to have one in place early next year.

I guess I will keep checking back and order one when I can see the colors available. Hopefully the purple will make a comeback!

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
yeah, that fact that I am no talented with thread and needle like my mother. My fiancee was thinkign of getting me sewing classes.

Back in junior high school we had sewing class so I learnt then and my grandma showed me how to do all kinds of needlework. She had a treadle-driven Singer sewing machine. I got my first machine in 1976. Still runs. Now I have a new Singer and a 5-thread serger.

It is never too late to learn, and if your fiance wants to do that for you, I'd go! Just think of the cute things you could make for the home and *future* babies you are blessed with! You'd have time to practice on simple things like this bonnet. Practice makes perfect! It is really fun to sew custom things, and almost always costs FAR less than having it made or even off-the-rack. You even could make things for others for some "pin money".

Good Luck!

Love and Hugs!

ETA: I am sorry if I assumed wrongly about fiance/fiancee.

Anne~
December 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I have the Wal-Mart ones too! They work fine for me. Especially when kitty wants to curl up to the back of my head.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Oh, RATS! I just tried to order one of the Lucy's but they're out of the purple one with flowers. Apparently, they don't have a website yet representing the other colors they do carry but expect to have one in place early next year.

I guess I will keep checking back and order one when I can see the colors available. Hopefully the purple will make a comeback!

These are the colors to choose from. I have no clue about the prints so I selected the cranberry. They will send this email before they ship it to you.

Solid Colors - Black or Cranberry
Prints -- Gold Turquoise Paisley Print; Brown Floral Print; Taupe Zebra
Print

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Back in junior high school we had sewing class so I learnt then and my grandma showed me how to do all kinds of needlework. She had a treadle-driven Singer sewing machine. I got my first machine in 1976. Still runs. Now I have a new Singer and a 5-thread serger.

It is never too late to learn, and if your fiance wants to do that for you, I'd go! Just think of the cute things you could make for the home and *future* babies you are blessed with! You'd have time to practice on simple things like this bonnet. Practice makes perfect! It is really fun to sew custom things, and almost always costs FAR less than having it made or even off-the-rack. You even could make things for others for some "pin money".

Good Luck!

Love and Hugs!

ETA: I am sorry if I assumed wrongly about fiancé/fiancée.

Id, love to take a class. yes, he is my fiancée ;) I have an old green singer dewing machine I found at a yard sale that still works perfectly :) My mom had one of the really old ones that goes down into a desk with the 2 feet petal. I wish she would have showed me how to sew. i do know how to do basic crochet so i am making my kiddo a blanket. Atleast she will have something to pass on..lol

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Id, love to take a class. yes, he is my fiancée ;) I have an old green singer dewing machine I found at a yard sale that still works perfectly :) My mom had one of the really old ones that goes down into a desk with the 2 feet petal. I wish she would have showed me how to sew. i do know how to do basic crochet so i am making my kiddo a blanket. Atleast she will have something to pass on..lol

My mother had one in a desk and made clothes for me too but didn't show me anything. Didn't show me how to cook. It was just how she was. She did show me other things like how to polish leather shoes (true spitshine) and polish silver, and how to clean house really well. I can pit cherries, and snap beans, and iron. Since she taught fulltime 4th grade all subjects plus 4th and 5th grade music for nearly 40 years, she wasn't around much. So I learnt from my grandmothers too. I was very lucky to have them all of my childhood into my 30's. :D

I hope you get to take a class or two at least get started. You can do it! And already have a machine! Sewing by hand also is important if you have the chance to learn more there. :)

Love and Hugs!

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
My mother had one in a desk and made clothes for me too but didn't show me anything. Didn't show me how to cook. It was just how she was. She did show me other things like how to polish leather shoes (true spitshine) and polish silver, and how to clean house really well. I can pit cherries, and snap beans, and iron. Since she taught fulltime 4th grade all subjects plus 4th and 5th grade music for nearly 40 years, she wasn't around much. So I learnt from my grandmothers too. I was very lucky to have them all of my childhood into my 30's. :D

I hope you get to take a class or two at least get started. You can do it! And already have a machine! Sewing by hand also is important if you have the chance to learn more there. :)

Love and Hugs!

yeah, Mom taught me how to cook and clean well. maybe I was just never interested in learnign to sew:hmm:

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
yeah, Mom taught me how to cook and clean well. maybe I was just never interested in learnign to sew:hmm:

:) As kids sometimes it isn't like we have nothing else to do either like to and from school, homework, chores, etc. Our parents insisted that each of us study a musical instrument AND play in band and orchestra AND choir. Sometimes, that is too much for any kid.;) But we didn't watch TV so there was time for most everything.

lora410
December 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
:) As kids sometimes it isn't like we have nothing else to do either like to and from school, homework, chores, etc. Our parents insisted that each of us study a musical instrument AND play in band and orchestra AND choir. Sometimes, that is too much for any kid.;) But we didn't watch TV so there was time for most everything.

oh, dont underestimate my mom. If the cleaning wasn't done to her liking we were woken up at 2am to finish it.

Themyst
December 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I went ahead and ordered one of these anyway. After searching around, I thought it looked like these were roomier than others I had seen. I got the gold/turquoise/paisley one.

Hopefully someday their purple w/flowers will come back and then I'll order a backup!

Soon I'll be stylin' in my sleep :eyebrows:.

WindowDressing
December 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
oh, dont underestimate my mom. If the cleaning wasn't done to her liking we were woken up at 2am to finish it.

Heh!!! Very good, dear lora. We'd have never made it to bed if'n it wasn't perfect. But remember, my training made me do something VERY WELL, despite not "wanting to" do it. A permanent cure for procrastination.

My instructions were in writing (typewritten) and posted in each room. yeah. Like anything less than perfection was an option.

Did I mention that as the only girl, I was the only one besides mommy who did any cleaning at all?

Three other occupants didn't. Ahhhh, the "good old days".

Hugs!

wendyg
December 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Seems to me an alternative if you're worried about hair longer than a pillowcase worth is to get a silk/satin bottom sheet. You can get these off Chinese sellers on eBay, some very good quality. And the nice thing is when it comes time to wash them they dry really fast if you just hang them up.

wg

KnightsLady
December 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I went ahead and ordered one of these anyway. After searching around, I thought it looked like these were roomier than others I had seen. I got the gold/turquoise/paisley one.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the gold/turquoise/paisley one when it arrives. It would have been the one I'd choosen too from the descriptions given.

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
How do peoples other halves feel about these caps? I remember my Mom going to bed in a hair net and I always thought she looked awful.

I know it's nothing really to do with them, and if theses caps work I might be inclined to buy one myself. But surely going to bed with something resembling a shower cap would perhaps .......... ummmm ......... you know what I mean ;)

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
How do peoples other halves feel about these caps? I remember my Mom going to bed in a hair net and I always thought she looked awful.

I know it's nothing really to do with them, and if theses caps work I might be inclined to buy one myself. But surely going to bed with something resembling a shower cap would perhaps .......... ummmm ......... you know what I mean ;)

This is why I went on a hunt for a more stylish cap. I didn't want the granny look going on :lol:

Comfrey
December 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
This is why I went on a hunt for a more stylish cap. I didn't want the granny look going on :lol:

hehehehe exactly ;)

I did find one that was lovely and used to keep dreads safe at night, but do you think I can find it again :rolleyes:

joyfulmom4
December 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Nowadays the kids don't even have the option of participating in band and orchestra and choir. They must choose only ONE. And the choice must be made in the 6th grade and CANNOT be changed later. If they pick band, then it's band only and that's it. Likewise choir and orchestra. No switching. No doing more than one. No joining later than 6th grade. I think this is absolutely awful. But apparently it's all about the school budget and what works easiest. Can't afford to teach kids both singing and an instrument. I asked if my dd could do both but they told me if I wanted her to do both, I would have to hire a private tutor and that there were community bands and choruses. This would not have upset me nearly as much if they had not acted like I was rude and impertinent for even asking. The reply was something like "it is not OUR job to provide a complete musical education for your child... we give them the opportunity to learn one discipline, if YOU want your child to have more, then there are community bands and choruses you can apply to and you can hire your own music teacher for lessons". Yeesh. So instead, my dd is *required* to have a study hall. Imagine that. A child who *wants* to learn more is told to go sit in a quiet room and read. (She reads plenty at home.) The worst part is that they don't even study in "study hall". The kids just sit around and pass notes or text if they can get away w/ it.

But wait, this wasn't a thread about that at all was it? :o

Jumping off my soapbox now. Sorry to hijack thread.

Themyst
December 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM

That's the look I was trying to get away from - the granny from the three little pigs fable.

These caps looked quite stylish - I might even be tempted to keep it on as I go about my morning routine. ;)

lora410
December 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
:agree: me as well :D

WindowDressing
December 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Nowadays the kids don't even have the option of participating in band and orchestra and choir. They must choose only ONE. And the choice must be made in the 6th grade and CANNOT be changed later. If they pick band, then it's band only and that's it. Likewise choir and orchestra. No switching. No doing more than one. No joining later than 6th grade. I think this is absolutely awful. But apparently it's all about the school budget and what works easiest. Can't afford to teach kids both singing and an instrument. I asked if my dd could do both but they told me if I wanted her to do both, I would have to hire a private tutor and that there were community bands and choruses. This would not have upset me nearly as much if they had not acted like I was rude and impertinent for even asking. The reply was something like "it is not OUR job to provide a complete musical education for your child... we give them the opportunity to learn one discipline, if YOU want your child to have more, then there are community bands and choruses you can apply to and you can hire your own music teacher for lessons". Yeesh. So instead, my dd is *required* to have a study hall. Imagine that. A child who *wants* to learn more is told to go sit in a quiet room and read. (She reads plenty at home.) The worst part is that they don't even study in "study hall". The kids just sit around and pass notes or text if they can get away w/ it.

But wait, this wasn't a thread about that at all was it? :o

Jumping off my soapbox now. Sorry to hijack thread.

Not a soapbox, just the facts.

And 6th grade is waaay too late.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on explaining the lessons, all of ours were private-tutored beginning at age 7. But there were places like the Rotary Club (Rotarians in Europe I think) in the city who offered scholarships and various competitions (which we had to enter) to earn tutor money. Problem there? Only one scholarship per family. Grrr. And all 3 of us sometimes had to compete anyway because our folks said my bro (the real musician :) ) might not win. That did happen one time but only because I beat him. He was none too pleased.

Band and Orchestra Music education though has suffered and it is so important. Study hall is a total waste of time.

And I don't wear a sleep cap, but I have worn the showercap when oiling overnight. Very fetching... :cheese:

Hugs!

mommy101405
December 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM

I know what you mean. I can't imagine me getting on to bed with one on. My dh would have a field day with that. :cheese:

LaurelSpring
December 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
So how are you wearing your hair under the cap? Do you braid and bunch the braid up in it? That would seem to make an uncomfortable bump. Do you just pile your hair up under it loosely? What is the best way to make it work and also be comfortable?

WindowDressing
December 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Dear LaurelSpring, I make multiple braids which aren't really tight, and I'm a side sleeper. I clip the braids behind my head.

It isn't that uncomfortable. But the shower cap makes a crinkly noise that has awakened me sometimes. :rolleyes: My dear hubby doesn't mind at all. He thinks I'm fetching weeding the garden all dirty and sweaty. :eyebrows: Pffft. :o

Cinnamon Hair
December 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM
So how are you wearing your hair under the cap? Do you braid and bunch the braid up in it? That would seem to make an uncomfortable bump. Do you just pile your hair up under it loosely? What is the best way to make it work and also be comfortable?

I loosely wrap my length around one hand, bend over with the cap on, and drop the length in.

I too am waiting to see pics of this cap in action since a non-dowdy sleep cap seems impossible to me.

Anje
December 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
This sounds interesting.

Add me to the cheap walmart sleep bonnet wearing group, though I tend to go for the drawstring ones. (Lately, I've got one of those "stay on satin" ones, which I wear inside-out.) I really dislike sleeping with my face on polyester satin, and it doesn't protect the length of my hair, which tends to end up under me. Braids fall victim to the evil tassel-munching cat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=618&pictureid=6376), besides.

The Lucy looks cool, though I also keep eyeing that silk one on Tenderheaded.

WindowDressing
December 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I just realized I have some washed silk shells hanging in the closet. I saved them for making drawstring purses, and just realized I could make sleeping bonnets!!!

Ooooo!

Y'all are so inspiring.

Will check them out and post pix if'n they are suitable. (Will do some measuring).

LHCers RAWK!

Hugs!

Themyst
December 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Mine came today from Maverick Wear. It's the Lucy model.

http://themysteriouslady.com/sleepcapmodel.jpg

This is my DD8 modeling it, she has waist length hair.

I have my hair bunned and secured with a big clip and it fit in just fine, whereas it would not fit that way with my Wal-mart cap. But it is clear to me that all my hair will fit in just fine even when loose plus there is extra room to grow.

Also, I like the way it fits around my head. The Wal-mart cap was tight-fitting and bothersome. This Lucy cap is softer around the edges but more secure. I can't see this slipping off my head like the Wal-mart caps will.

Here's a closer look:

http://themysteriouslady.com/sleepcap.jpg

Now, I wanted the purple one on their website, but they don't carry that color anymore. They also don't have an updated website with their current colors so I had to pick one sight unseen. I chose the brown/blue/paisley and I'm sorry that I did - I think the colors are hideous. I am sorely disappointed with the colors although I'm sure others might think they're just fab.

Also, it is as if you are wearing the cap inside-out. The brilliant, shiny side goes on the inside and the dull, faded-looking side is what is visible on the outside. I need to keep reminding myself that this is simply a sleeping cap, made that way to protect my hair and not an accessory for beauty contests.

All-in-all, I like it. Except for the color. I should have waited until they revamped their website and posted their current colors (which they said they were going to do next year). But I was so sick of my Wal-mart cap, I couldn't wait.

Bottom Line: I still look like a geek wearing it, albeit a fashionable geek. I am much more pleased with this Lucy cap over a Wal-mart cap. My daughter wants one and I'd also like another, but I will wait until we are able to pick a color agreeable to us.:)

Catladyintown
December 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thank you for sharing Themyst. Actually I love the color.:p Is the whole cap a draw string or elastic all around it. If possible can you take more pictures of the fabric that goes around the face. I hope I am making since.

Themyst
December 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you for sharing Themyst. Actually I love the color.:p Is the whole cap a draw string or elastic all around it. If possible can you take more pictures of the fabric that goes around the face. I hope I am making since.

Happy to help! I hope this will help to clarify:

http://themysteriouslady.com/sleepcapexplain.gif

There is a 3" space on either side (right about where your ears would go maybe) were there is nothing - no elastic, no ties.

I'm glad you like the color. I felt bad berating it for that but those colors really bother me. Isn't that strange! :o

http://thecrazylanes.com/sleepcapexplain.jpg

WindowDressing
December 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Dear Themyst, I would have wanted purple myself. Just looking at the cap abstractly, it reminded me of some pix I've seen of the beach, sorta light and dark sand, and the blue-green of the sea.

Not colors I choose, but a combo chosen to exist in nature.

HTH.

Hugs!

RedJen
December 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I would want purple, too.

I don't understand why it is so hard to find things in purple!

Catladyintown
December 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Thank you so much for the picture Themyst. I guess it is do too age that I like the brown/blue/paisley it looks so sixty's.

WindowDressing
December 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I would want purple, too.

I don't understand why it is so hard to find things in purple!

:) Purple and Gold just rawks.

Hugs!

Themyst
December 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Dear Themyst, I would have wanted purple myself. Just looking at the cap abstractly, it reminded me of some pix I've seen of the beach, sorta light and dark sand, and the blue-green of the sea.

Not colors I choose, but a combo chosen to exist in nature.

HTH.

Hugs!

That's a good analogy, WindowDressing!

I must just think more like a little kid - OOH! I want the shiny purple one!:D

WindowDressing
December 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
That's a good analogy, WindowDressing!

I must just think more like a little kid - OOH! I want the shiny purple one!:D

Honey, purple is where it's at. I'm with ya 100%!!!!

What is nice is the design uses the front gathers and then the adjustment at the nape, leave the sides in peace. Good design!

Love and Hugs!

Themyst
December 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Update: I slept in my new Maverick Wear sleeping cap last night and it didn't slip off my head like a Wal-mart version will do.

I'm glad I spent a few extra dollars on this. :)

I like it.

wintersun99
December 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
So, the elastic bands don't bother anyone? That is the number one reason why I cant wear sleep caps. I do have a beanie that was intended for runners, that does great for sleeping. It's comfy and soft and breathable, but no elastics or anything.

Themyst
December 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
So, the elastic bands don't bother anyone? That is the number one reason why I cant wear sleep caps. I do have a beanie that was intended for runners, that does great for sleeping. It's comfy and soft and breathable, but no elastics or anything.

I always had problems with the Wal-mart cap, it's elastic all around and either crept forward and tried to go over my eyes while I slept or slipped back and I'd wake up with my cap hanging off my bun. Also, the Wal-mart caps feel constrictive with the tight elastic all around your head. So I understand what you mean about uncomfortable elastic.

But no, the one I purchased from Maverick Wear only has a bit of elastic on the front, around the forehead area. While I can feel it just a bit, it is the drawstring at the nape of the neck that really holds on the cap nicely.

Anje
December 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Mine have all been drawstring, no elastic at all.

I wouldn't want elastic against my skin or hair, anyway.

lora410
December 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, I got my cap, wore it and LOVE IT. It tightens nicely (elastic is covered with fabric btw) and didnt come off at all. My hair was very tangle free this morning :D I got the burgandy color which looks more like deep red

Erin1152
December 31st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hey guys! I've been battling with my elastic Walmart cap A LOT lately! I find myself waking up off and on during the night and it's nowhere to be found! This seems like a great alternative that will ACTUALLY stay on! I've tried to go to their Order Form page though, and all it comes up with is their logo and a home link. Did this happen to anyone else? How much do these run?

Themyst
December 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hey guys! I've been battling with my elastic Walmart cap A LOT lately! I find myself waking up off and on during the night and it's nowhere to be found! This seems like a great alternative that will ACTUALLY stay on! I've tried to go to their Order Form page though, and all it comes up with is their logo and a home link. Did this happen to anyone else? How much do these run?

I tried the www.maverickwear.com link and when you select the style of sleeping cap (I chose the Classic Lucy) click on the link, it takes you to sort of an information page, then click 'order form' on the right hand side of the page, then when the big almost blank page comes up with their logo on it, click the little button that says 'continue'. That button will actually take you to the order form.

Antiquated, to be sure. The woman told me they'll be redoing their website soon.

Oh yes, the Lucy is $11.95 + $3.95 shipping.

Hope this works for you and you enjoy your new sleep cap!

AmandaPanda
February 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, since I haven't had a chance to read every page of this thread, but on the order form they mention a "100% silk lil Lucy"...does anyone know how this differs from the regular Lucy style?

Fairlight63
February 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I bought the "100% Silk lil Lucy" and really like it. It is just the right size for my hair, which is about 22" long (just above bra stap) fine/thin. It has elastic in the front (that is covered by silk) and ties in the back.
I don't have the Classic Lucy, but I think that the difference is it is made out of Satin and is basicly made about the same but has a larger area in the back if you have really long hair, longer than mine any way & lots more of it.
Someone that has the Classic, is that right or not??

AmandaPanda
February 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, the other one is satin and the Lil Lucy is silk. I was hoping someone could explain the difference in regard to the amount of hair they hold. It seems like the lil Lucy would be too small for me though

I wonder why the regular Lucy isn't available in silk.

I'll probably just email the maker.

Thanks!

Themyst
February 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have the classic Lucy. My hair is 45" and fine, but I've got a whole bunch of it. I put it in the cap loose and it still has room for more. I figure I'll still be able to wear it when I get to classic length.