PDA

View Full Version : Most versitile hair toy?

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
the last lot of ponytail holders I got aren't elastic enough for my hair, they are too small for 4 *rounds* but after one pony it's too stretched out for 3 to hold my hair. I'm looking for ONE hair toy that I can do the most with. I usually wear my hair in buns or a braid after a pony.

most likely I'm looking for hair sticks.

Amara
December 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'd say hair sticks. You can do the first loop of a bun and attach with a hair stick, leaving the rest to fly free like a pony tail. You can braid it and then loop it under and attach with a stick or bun it up with the braid, or without the braid...

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
any favorites?

freznow
December 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Sticks. I like thin but tapered metal sticks, but I know a few who like thick wood sticks, etc. etc. Try some chopsticks, see if you like them, and maybe go from there. (Claire's isn't a bad option, either. I got a nice pair of wood sticks there, they are almost as favored as my tapered metal sticks, which I got in a swap here.)

A pro of metal is that they can get wet, but so can coated wood and chopsticks.

Forks are also very secure but I think for most versatile, sticks win out.

Amara
December 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/Categories?category=Ketylo+Hairsticks+-+Medium+%286%22%29

I like the aquapearl ketylos. I wear mine straight out of the shower, and its shape helps to hold updos.

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
what is the sizing on those? they are gorgeous! I want a pair now.

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I would edit but I'm not allowed. so for instance is there a certain length that you would suggest getting large? or would medium be all purpose? my hair is VERY thick.

Anje
December 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'll add a vote for sticks, but some people do scrunchies for buns, braid ends, and everything else.

The Ketylos (which I also like, I've got 2 aquapearl ones myself) come in Small (5"), Medium (6"), and Large (7"). I think the Aquapearl ones might only be available in small and medium, probably a limitation of the way the stuff is supplied.

What size you get really depends on the size of your hair and how long you like your sticks. A spirally cinnamon bun on me is about 4" across, so I can do well with anything longer than that, and the 6" Ketylos seem to be a very nice length for most things. Start with the size of the bun you'd like to hold with a stick, and add on a bit (probably 1 inch) to find the minimum size of stick you'll want.
FWIW, most people do fine with 6" sticks almost indefinitely, and longer really shows from the front. But there are people on the forum who need 8 or 9 inch sticks. It's rare, though.

freznow
December 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The most accurate thing would be to make a bun, use a colored pencil or something to hold it up, and measure how much of the colored pencil is in your bun. That would be the minimum length you want your stick. Anything above and beyond that is personal preference. I like long sticks, you can't really grow out of them, though short sticks are good if you don't like the look of them poking out from behidn your head.

Anje
December 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, you might want to know that the Dymondwood material is also water-resistant. The regular wood is like all wood, though, and you want to not get it too wet.

Amara
December 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I agree with the 6 inch stick as an all-purpose length. I like freznow's colored pencil suggetion too for measuring.

plainjanegirl
December 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I don't care for sticks. But I love my scrunchies.

joyfulmom4
December 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I agree with the 6 inch stick as an all-purpose length. I like freznow's colored pencil suggetion too for measuring.

I'd suggest measuring. I prefer a stick that's 7-8" long. Most people think those are too long but I like a little of the stick to show on each side of the bun. My 6" Ketylos will hold up a bun, but you barely see any of the pretty stick colors/wood at either end. I like to have about 3/4"-1.5" showing (less at the bottom, more on the top if there's a decorative end or design on the top of the stick).

DecafJane
December 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I like hairstick showing, too, but can manage that right now with my almost-APL hair with the medium ketylos. ;)

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
thanks everyone...I stretch out scrunchies too fast...I end up buying 6-7 4pks a year with those.

I will measure to find out what size I need although I would like a bit of stick to show...no point having gorgeous $12/pr hair sticks if no one can see them!

Jami

Aditi
December 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Even i am having the same problem with my hair toys, i m glad i found out my solution in this thread.