PDA

View Full Version : All those cylco-cones

Myrddin
March 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hi everybody!

I decided to go back on cones and buy a coney leave-in. I´m wondering about the "cylco-cones" which are often used in leave-in products like cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane and so on.

I read somewhere that they evaporate and that could cause dryness.

Well, now I´m not so sure about it since many people have success with these kind of cones. Though I hesitate to buy/use them.

So, what do you know about them and what is your experience?

Thanks
Myrddin

Flaxen
March 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
My former regular conditioner had cyclopentasiloxane as the second ingredient, and I believe it contributed to my hair breaking as fast as it grew, which resulted in my hair remaining at midback for over ten years. Without that conditioner, I simply don't have all those little pieces of hair on my clothing when I comb or brush.

Curlsgirl
March 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Wow Flaxen that is scary! I am glad I went cone-less! I can tell SO much difference really now that I avoid them. I THOUGHT they made my hair so much better but really they just made it drier and then covered it up! I am not saying this happens for everyone mind you and I am not a cone-a-phobic! That was just the case for me I believe!

Flaxen
March 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I agree, Curlsgirl. A lot of people seem to benefit from 'cones. We're just not two of them. ;)

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Let me recommend that you read CurlChemist's very informative article on Cyclomethicones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/curlchemist-cyclomethicones-a-different-category-of-silicones). CurlChemist writes a Q&A column on naturallycurly.com.

My experience is that cyclomethicones did dry my hair. It has been happier since I stopped using them.

I hope this helps.

Myrddin
March 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Thank you all for your help! The article on curlchemist is very informative. So, hands off cyclomethicone and the like.

I will have look for other coney leave-ins.

Wavelength
March 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, those 'cones do nasty things to my hair as well. That's why I call them the "psycho-cones" and avoid them like the plague.

Myrddin
March 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
@wavelength "Psycho-cones", sounds funny.

It was very hard to find a leave-in without them in. Fortuneately I found one with amodimethicone which seems to be ok. My hair doesn´t feel like plastic with it.

FrannyG
March 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
@wavelength "Psycho-cones", sounds funny.

It was very hard to find a leave-in without them in. Fortuneately I found one with amodimethicone which seems to be ok. My hair doesn´t feel like plastic with it.

That's exactly how my hair feels with cones--like plastic! Also I notice that my hair gets staticky when I use them. Before LHC I so bought into those coney products and I couldn't believe the difference when I went cone-free.

Yet there are a lot of people here with amazing hair who use cones. It's really interesting just how different we all are.

Myrddin
March 26th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, I´ve been for a long time on organic hair care, which is of course cone free. My scalp loves it, it´s not as drying, but my hair splits from all the tangles. That´s why I´m trying a coney leave-in though I stick with the rest of my routine.