PDA

View Full Version : blow drying just a little in winter?

skydancer7
December 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hi All!
If I blow dry my hair just a bit at the roots so I don't freeze in the winter, will that still cause a lot of damage?
I do trim every so often. Does blowdrying damage the shaft, or just the ends?
Thanks!

spidermom
December 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I don't think blow-drying is very harmful unless you use the hottest setting and/or pull and stretch with a brush. I use my shower comb to hold my hair out, never pulling or stretching. I generally concentrate on drying the scalp area; the ends dry pretty fast on their own.

skydancer7
December 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I use my fingers to hold the hair out and concentrate on the scalp. Yay, I don't have to freeze! :D

wolf girl
December 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have to sometimes!!! I just use the lowest setting on 'cool'.

GibsonGirlV
December 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I do this when my hair isn't dry in time to go out in the cold. While I'm getting ready I blow dry my damp hair in 30 sec (or so) intervals. I make sure to blow in the right direction, don't use the highest setting, and make sure not to get the roots. I run my fingers through my hair to help the process go faster. Then between drying segments I'll go about my other getting-ready business and let my hair air dry a little. I find this process is a lot more effective and less damaging than doing all the blow-drying in one session.

shwankie
December 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I almost never blowdry in the summer, but i blowdry almost daily in the winter. It is just too cold not to, if I don't I am cold for hours. Plus, I workout quite a bit, and leaving the gym in mid-winter with a wet head several times a week gives me deep-seated chills I just can't shake.

I notice pretty much no difference in when I blowdry and when I don't, in terms of growth and hair health. I don't like blowdrying because I am lazy and it isn't terribly environmentally friendly. It does take less energy, though, than turning our heat up. I realize that kind of goes against a lot of advice here, but it's how my hair seems to take it. I also keep my hair in good condition in other ways, which probably helps.

I use a medium setting, and just use a wide-toothed pick or my fingers.

may1em
December 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I use a diffuser to speed things up in the winter, usually on low heat. I notice more halo fuzz than when I air dry, but it's sure as heck better than being cold!

skydancer7
December 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
GibsonGirlV, you said you avoid the roots, what is the reason for that?

Kerynna
December 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I occasionally blow dry just the front of my hair, for about 70 seconds or so, while combing with my fingers. I never need to use the dryer on the back or the ends of my hair.

Curlsgirl
December 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I do! I just washed my hair in fact and I blow dry the roots mostly and a little of the length trying not to touch the ends with the air. I am curious too Gibson Girl why you might avoid the roots instead of the ends. I like my hair much better dried naturally but it is just too cold in the winter to do that. I use medium heat.

VanillaTresses
December 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
When I lived up North I would definitely do this-- I figured that blow-drying it before I had to go outside was better than actually having literally "frozen" hair. One time my longhair friend walked outside with wet hair and her whole ponytail was frozen from the bottom up-- that really can't be good for your hair, with water expanding when freezing and all... not to mention getting sick from being cold!

CaityBear
December 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I did a little bit last winter, but I had it on the lowest setting and made sure to be very gentle.

Indigosails
December 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I also will blow dry on a warm setting if I am going out and my hair is still wet. I keep the hairdryer moving and not too close to the head. I use my fingers to fluff and move the hair. I generally just use it on my head and not the length of the hair. The biggest danger I have is to not let the hair get near the air intake.

longhairedfairy
December 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I do it in the winter and I don't see any increase in damage.

Katze
December 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I blowdry (actually, blowDAMP, not to full dryness) after swimming and shampooing, and focus on the roots and on getting my ears dry so I don't get earaches. No amount of hats or hoods keep me warm when my hair is wet!

longhairenvy
December 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I was just thinking about this issue yesterday when it was 10 degrees with windchill factor here in Massachusetts. I can't imagine NOT drying my hair before going out in that kind of cold; I'm thinking of getting a diffuser, though, to help keep my waves.....the cold, dry air just takes the nice fluff right out of them.:(

LaurelSpring
December 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I also caved this winter and I am also Blow drying my scalp just enough so I wont feel chilled. I use low and then finish with cool. My hair isnt feeling dry or bad so it seems to be working out ok.