PDA

View Full Version : Flakes from nowhere....

AutumnSky
December 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I've never had dandruff in my life..... but last night, whilke I was brushing out to braid before bed, I noticed little flakes at the front hairline, and pretty much all over my roots. :(

Is a dandruff shampoo the way to go, or is there something better? I dislike treating symptoms, I prefer to get to the source of the issue and treat that, but aside from stress, I can't imagine what brought this on!

Any suggestions?

Anje
December 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Any chance that you switched products (like shampoo or conditioner) recently? I had a nasty bit of dandruff a few years back when I switched from my cheapy Suave products to Aussie.

Nothing against Aussie, but my scalp apparently didn't like it. The dandruff went away when I switched back.

A second possibility to consider is that it's not really dandruff, per se, but just dry skin on your scalp. If it doesn't react badly, you might try applying your conditioner directly to your scalp to see if it makes a difference. For people with dryness, it often helps.

Katze
December 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
well, does stress mean you're eating worse or ingesting more caffeine, alcohol, etc? These things can feed the organisms that cause dandruff and the like.

That's about all that comes to mind. As a longtime dandruff/SD sufferer myself, I notice that diet and stress level and overall body chemistry definitely play a role. Since going "natural" I have much less dandruff than I had before LHC, but I always have some minor degree of flakes. Oh, and touching the scalp definitely makes it worse.

Vinegar rinses, honey, and occasional sulfate shampooing help me...dandruff shampoos never did anything.

AutumnSky
December 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I did just switch products (from icky Tresesmme to Fructis), but I've used Fructis before with no issues.

More caffeine for sure, and lots of citrus (it's clementine season!), but I've actually been eating better than I was for a while (I know that my diet affects everything, so when I get "icky", I clean up my act.)

I'm massaging with tea tree this morning, and I'll try an ACV rinse, and see what happens.

Thanks!

burns_erin
December 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I did just switch products (from icky Tresesmme to Fructis), but I've used Fructis before with no issues.

More caffeine for sure, and lots of citrus (it's clementine season!), but I've actually been eating better than I was for a while (I know that my diet affects everything, so when I get "icky", I clean up my act.)

I'm massaging with tea tree this morning, and I'll try an ACV rinse, and see what happens.

Thanks!

I believe i hard Garnier recently reformulated some of their products. Also if you did not use the exact same one...

That being said. For me, I find weekly oiling of my scalp with grapeseed oil and EO's works wonders.