PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hull Dye and Potato Rinse

TheSpottedCow
March 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hi guys. I was just reading Nightshades article about herbal dyes and saw these two... I'm looking to darken my medium/light brown hair (grows out medium, ends are lighter) and these two dyes seem like the two that will be the easiest for me to make.

I was wondering if anyone here has used them and can tell me their results, and how long the color lasted and how intense the color was.

I've been thinking about doing henna and indigo, and I've wanted darker hair for a while, but I wanted to try something less permanent and less intense first.

Thanks!

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I've never tried the potato dye myself, but I have tested walnut, and find that it dyes best when simmered on the stovetop for an hour or two with amla and then strained(covered and keep adding water as needed).

Here were the color results I got on mohair:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/WalnutTests.jpg

So the walnut was just walnut powder with hot water added, applied to the mohair for an hour.

The Walnut Amla was the same thing, hot water added to the two powders (I think 3/4 walnut, 1/4 amla) and applied to the mohair for an hour.

Simmered walnut was simmered in distilled water for an hour or two (honestly can't remember) and then applied to mohair for an hour.

Simmered amla/walnut was mixed and then simmered for the same hour or two, then applied to the mohair :)

BrianaFineHair
March 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
What is "amla"?

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Amla infor :) (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/amla/)

Here you go!

BrianaFineHair
March 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Amla infor :) (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/amla/)

Here you go!

Thank you, Nightshade! ;)
No one...NO ONE can ever say they won't learn anything here!

BrianaFineHair
March 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
One more question - I read that link. Can I use JUST ambla in my hair? Does ambla stay or gradually wash out? I'm assuming it's not as strong as a dye because you can scrub your face with it. Is it permanent?

I'm not ready to deal in "roots" so I am looking all over for things to use that gradually wash out and are, of course, good for my hair too. :)

Same goes with Cassia. What does it to to dark brown hair like mine? How about light brown/dark blonde? Also, does cassia wash out gradually or is it permanent like henna and indigo.

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
You can use just amla, for some it acts as a temporary curl enhancer. Amla does have a very very weak dye all it's own, but it seems to work to increase the uptake of some dyes (walnut) while inhibiting others (henna). A lot of the test we've done here on it are a bit contradictory.

I don't think amla on its own will do much to your hair color. Cassia may give you more golden tones to brown/blonde hair, and for most people it seems to fade over the course of a few weeks, but that is entirely subject to hair type, so I'd always recommend strand testing in a small area of your hair if you're afraid if it NOT fading.

TheSpottedCow
March 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thank you nightshade! I would have replied sooner but smoke was coming out of my computer...

And, speaking of cassia, i've used it on my hair color and it made no difference in the color at all.

jessie58
March 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Nightshade, forgive me for not reading all the information about henna/indigo/amla etc. I was never interested in it before but now I am curious about the amla for shiny hair and curl enhancing properties. Can you apply this over dyed hair and will it affect the dyeing process?

mellie
March 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Jessie58, I tried an amla-only treatment, here are my before/after photos:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=9743http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=9746

I didn't like the outcome of using it by itself, it pulled out some of my brown color and flattened my natural wave, and felt a little heavy/greasy. When I've used in combination with henna/indigo, it works much better.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Nightshade, forgive me for not reading all the information about henna/indigo/amla etc. I was never interested in it before but now I am curious about the amla for shiny hair and curl enhancing properties. Can you apply this over dyed hair and will it affect the dyeing process?

I wish I had good answers for you on this one, but I don't :o I found it did help my wave, but it fell back out quickly, but with my hair being hennaed that isn't a fair comparison, really. I don't think it will affect your color much, and I don't see why it would prevent you from dying in the future, however, I imagine coloring will negate the amla.

jessie58
March 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Thank you Mellie for posting your results. Gorgeous hair by the way.

Thanks Nightshade, I only do my roots and for some reason I thought the amla might stop the color from taking but I guess not.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks Nightshade, I only do my roots and for some reason I thought the amla might stop the color from taking but I guess not.

You could always hit some gathered hair with amla and then test it the next time you do your roots to see if it affects the color :)

Dacia
March 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Rinses with boiled walnut (Juglans regia) leaves do stain the hair, but the tannins could be drying in the long run. I've tried this on virgin hair with no spectacular results (mine is medium dark); now I'm a very dark brown using chemical dye and I intend to buy a Klorane shampoo with walnut extract to add some shine at least, as I've read some good reviews about it. I've also read somewhere about a hair mask consisting of fresh green hulls boiled in olive oil until resulting a paste; this one sounds more appealing to me than the decoct.

mommy2one05
May 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
So has anyone had any good results with the potato rinse?

ktani
May 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
I think that walnut hull dye is best avoided altogether - see the research information in this thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5378