PDA

View Full Version : Henna & Fading

pookatrina
March 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Does anyone find that henna fades on them? I think I remember some people posting about henna fading the first time they hennaed. My dyed ends seem to be holding color well, but the roots that were never dyed seem to be fading a bit already. Am I imagining things or does this happen to some people? If I henna the roots a second time what are the odds it'll stick better?
Thanks much!

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
My situation was about the exact same as yours, and I've noticed that I get more fade with the henna/cassia blend then I ever got with henna. However, it only fades once, after a second application it's pretty colorfast.

MadHatter
March 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
My color faded the first couple of times I henna'ed. It doesn't fade now, though.
Try doing it again, maybe twice more.

pookatrina
March 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
If/when I redo it would you all suggest using the same mix, or adding a bit more henna? I used a 50-50 mix of henna & cassia.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I did a 50/50 henna/cassia mix the first time I hennaed because I thought straight henna would change my color too much. I didn't notice any color change at all with henna & cassia, but my hair was definitely shinier and waaaaaaaaaay more tangly. This mix did not do a good job on my gray hairs and it faded from those hairs noticeably in a week.

Straight henna (I don't leave it on very long - only a couple of hours) brightened up my red a bit and covers my gray totally. I did notice a bit of fading on the gray hairs the first go round, but after that no fade at all. Shiny and totally manageable and NOT tangly at all.

prosperina
March 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I had the worst problem with cassia/henna mix fading--I used 50/50, so I just added more henna and it faded less. My reasoning was I have a very light base, so I'm going to need more henna than cassia. It still faded (and I think it always will a little bit) but at least I've gotten enough to stick--and of course there's the added benefit of never going too dark since some of what you put on will always fade. It is irritating though.

MeMyselfandI
March 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I did a 50/50 henna/cassia mix the first time I hennaed because I thought straight henna would change my color too much. I didn't notice any color change at all with henna & cassia, but my hair was definitely shinier and waaaaaaaaaay more tangly. This mix did not do a good job on my gray hairs and it faded from those hairs noticeably in a week.

Straight henna (I don't leave it on very long - only a couple of hours) brightened up my red a bit and covers my gray totally. I did notice a bit of fading on the gray hairs the first go round, but after that no fade at all. Shiny and totally manageable and NOT tangly at all.

How long is the shortest time you leave the henna in for the greys to colour and not fade?

What henna do you use?

MeMyselfandI
March 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
If/when I redo it would you all suggest using the same mix, or adding a bit more henna? I used a 50-50 mix of henna & cassia.

pookatrina,

How fast did you notice the henna fading? How long did you keep the henna in your hair, once dye release happened. Did you do a full strength paste or a gloss?

There is a picture in your signature area, is that your present hair colour?

The hair in that colour looks dark. I wonder if cassia henna 1:1 will have much of an effect.

I wonder if straight henna would cover the virgin hair better.

MeMyselfandI
March 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The first time I used henna I used Yeman (7 hours) , I think I got better coverage with the it then I did the Jamila (4 hours). Most noticable was my virgin hair growth.

Put on after dye release each time.

pookatrina
March 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
pookatrina,

How fast did you notice the henna fading? How long did you keep the henna in your hair, once dye release happened. Did you do a full strength paste or a gloss?
I hennaed for the 1st time 4 days ago. I left the henna on for 2.5-3hrs & used full strength mix.

There is a picture in your signature area, is that your present hair colour?
No that's pre-henna. I have an album with the henna pic right after & the next day. I am about to take another pic here in a few minutes.

The hair in that colour looks dark. I wonder if cassia henna 1:1 will have much of an effect.
I am looking for a more copper/orange color rather than a straight red so I wanted to start off as mild as possible.

I wonder if straight henna would cover the virgin hair better.
It might, but I'd want it to match the ends & not get too red.

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I think I'd vote to do the same mix again and see if it sticks, and then amp up the henna from there if it doesn't :)

Lexie
March 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
A few people have dropped by H4H complaining that hennaing takes too long for them because of their gray hair. They say that if they try to keep it on for a short time, they get light or no coverage at all. Someone recently dropped in to say terping her mix has helped her to be able to use it for a shorter time, and terping does quicken the breakdown of the henna. Plus there was a big rave over a 30 minute application of henndigo that gave golden brown results, but for everyone who used it, it faded--just like the commercial brands of henna. That's why I figured shorter spurts don't offer the lasting stains that the longer timing does. We've already seen that it's not the boiling water that keeps those brands from sticking because boiling water in BAQ doesn't have the same effect, and regardless of additions, it's still henna. Also, others have tried keeping those brands on for hours and had a good lasting stain from them. Even on mohair, just 30 minutes with henndigo eventually turned into an ugly gray color while all the other strands, which were dyed for at least 3 1/2 hours, never faded or changed color apart from the natural oxidization.

Isilme
March 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
nope, no fade nowdays. But I had mad fade when I started to use henna on my colour damaged hair. It took many applications for it to stick.

iris
March 27th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Henna is insanely permanent on me, always has been. It doesn't matter what I mix it with (water or acid or other herbs), or how long I leave it on. (Application time does affect the depth of the color of course).

Other dyes don't stick as well for me - the '8-10 washes' dyes wash out completely right on schedule, indigo washes out really quickly and won't even stick for me in a two-step process. It's just the henna. My hair looooooves henna. Sucks it up and never lets it go.

Iris

khyricat
March 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
my hair adores henna, so no fade, as opposed to the 24 shampoo stuff that didn't last 3 washings without noticeable fade on my whites...

I love it too... so no complaints..

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
How thick is your henna paste.

My first application was thick I scooped it up. I got great coverage. I used Yemen. Greys covered, the virgin hair in my part covered.

Second time, the henna paste was thinner, still scoopeable. The greys faded easily, the part was not covered. While applying, I kept applying to the part and the front of my head, because the henna did not stay put. Leaks everywhere.

Today, thin, by mistake thick for an application bottle but leaks and runny. I noticed that I can not get it to stay on my part, or front of head. The rest of the hair just seems to get wet. I tryed to thicken it, did not work. I will keep playing with the hair for the next couple of hours. Now sitting down for a few minutes.

Anyways, I am sure there are many other factors, but how thcik the paste is was not something I had considered before.

For my hair the socond time, it may not have been the henna but the fact that the paste was to thin for the paste to slop on my head and remain in constant contact with my hair near my part and front of the head.

I am sure this time it is the same thing.

Lexie
March 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I love mixing mine thick, personally. :D Don't like thin henna. Too runny...and it's kind of nice when it's thick too...at least to me. I use only as much liquid as henna.

MeMyselfandI
March 27th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I love mixing mine thick, personally. :D Don't like thin henna. Too runny...and it's kind of nice when it's thick too...at least to me. I use only as much liquid as henna.

WOW equal amounts. Is that by volume or mass?

I know for 100G Yeman I needed much less water then for the Jamila. I find that just a little more ends up being to much.

While having a hard time today, I decide to thicker is better, if to thin I can always add just a bit more at the very end.

I ended up taking the plastic wrap off often and playing with it. The henna started to dry so ran less. I rewrapped it. Wrapped towels around myself and kept wiping. It ended up staying two extra hours. It helped the front hairs a lot. The temple greys could have used more contact time.

Live and learn.

Lexie
March 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
That's pretty much it. It stays like molded clay almost!

I use the same amount by volume. I measure my henna with the spoons and cups rather than a scale. 100g is about 1 cup anyway. Maybe a tablespoon more.

If you want less drips but don't want to dilute your henna too much, you can thicken your liquid just a tiny bit with cornstarch. Just enough to keep it all in tact on your head. Thicker paste definitely doesn't shift around as much as thin paste.

I know I don't have grays at the edges yet, but when I'm done smoothing it all back and up, I use the little bit of paste I have left to add a bit extra all along the front, sides, and back. Just to make sure I've got them covered. Those are the most vibrant parts when I've just rinsed the paste out. :)

Delilah
March 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I like mine thick, it's about like jello pudding when I smush it on.
I kinda eyeball it since the henna soaks up water while being happy and warm dye-releasing.
If it makes sense to you, I add water until the wet mass no longer cracks apart when stirred.
Thick henna stains more and drips down your neck less.

lookingglass
April 25th, 2008, 11:21 PM
My ends are more orangey than the rest. When I touch up now I can barely see the difference in color (my hair is naturally dark brown). I love the way henna makes my hair feeeel, though. So, even though I have a lot of color on the ends, I want to do my whole head every now and then.