PDA

View Full Version : How to Tame a Cowlick?

LadyGoddess
December 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
My cowlick is pretty much straight above the inside end of my right eyebrow. I got some bangs recently to change the appearance of my facei, but the cowlick completely ruins my ability to wear my bangs properly.

How to tame it?

jera
December 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
My cowlick is pretty much straight above the inside end of my right eyebrow. I got some bangs recently to change the appearance of my facei, but the cowlick completely ruins my ability to wear my bangs properly.

How to tame it?

Aloe vera gel ? :confused:

brok3nwings
December 7th, 2008, 02:36 AM
there is no way dear... i had one in july and i have a huge cowlick. You can blowdry it (but that you already knew).
It gets better with time cause your scalp gets used to the new shape and its easier...what i advice you is:
let it grow a bit and then you can have really nice side bangs...just direction your hair to the contrary side of your cowlick.

Finoriel
December 7th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Which kind of fringe did you get?
If itīs one that should hang down straight, itīs possible that you will not get it to lay down properly. Well maybe for some minutes, but not for a whole day.
When I had that kind of fringe during my childhood nothing could make it stay like it should and thatīs been in the late 80s with enough hairspray to glue a penny on the sidewalk and keep it there :lol:. All blowdrying into the "right" shape and the extended use of product did not last for longer than an hour.
Later on I changed to a light and kind of side swept fringe. Which got exactly the right swing from the cowlick and always looked good without much effort.
A cowlick, depending on how strong it is, can be very stubborn. A good stylist should be able to see if your hair is suited for this kind of fringe or not, though.

LadyGoddess
December 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Mine are side-swept bangs or whatever the proper name is. Shorter towards the middle of my forehead and progressively get longer as you go towards my ears.

Right now I'm using bobby pins to hold my bangs in place, but it usually seperates within a couple hours.

Thanks!

Xandergrammy
December 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well, it's been my experience that there is no way to tame a cowlick. I was born with one 53 years ago and I've learned to live with it (and unfortunately can't wear bangs, which I love). Good luck to you.

Silverlox
December 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'm with Xandergrammy on this one. You can fight Nature, but you'll never win. While you might be able to make it look the way you want for short periods of time, it will be a constant battle. :hatchet:

The only advice I can give, is to work with what you've got and try to like it. If you can adopt this approach, life gets much easier. :thumbsup:

This doesn't mean that you can't wear bangs at all, just that you might be better off working with your hair and having a type of bangs your cowlick would work with. There are actually types of bangs that need a cowlick to sit right and look good. :)

speakyword
December 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I've been having the same issue lately... it's definitly not as bad when my bangs aren't 100% clean... every day I just wet my bangs till they are drippy... dry them partially with a towel... use some aloe vera gel and comb them straight down... when they dry I brush them with a BBB and they look pretty thick... this is actually working out pretty well for me... on wash days I pin them up because they are too clean to do anything... I've been doing this for a few weeks and it seems to be getting easier to control them? Also, as they get a bit longer it is easier... My hair is fine, fairly thin and poker straight... my mum cut them really really heavy and in a triangle shape. They come to like 1/4 inch above my eyebrows, but the under layer of my bangs are shorter to allow the top layer to hang down. Don't ask me how it works but it seems to. I think I am maybe training them? good luck

dearladydisdain
December 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I have a cowlick on the back of my head but it's only noticeable when my hair is dirty. The weight of my hair holds it down. I know you can "train" your hair to grow in a different direction -somewhat-, but I'm not sure how you would do it in that position.

spidermom
December 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I can coax mine into desired direction with styling wax. That's how I get the wirey sproingers to lay down, too. A little styling wax goes a long way and lasts (pretty much) until the next wash.