PDA

View Full Version : something to read...

helanek
December 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
got it from a friend...
http://victoria-e.com/2008/07/07/the-unspoken-global-warming-resolution-short-hair/

HairColoredHair
December 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Aw, isn't that precious.

KnightsLady
December 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
The last time I heard someone say "Ba-da bing, ba-da boom" was when I was watching "Bride & Predjudice". It was said by a fellow who didn't stop long enough to think about what he was saying and at the same time was convinced that his own outlook should be mirrored by all those around him. The similarities made me smile.

I liked some of the comments though.

GlennaGirl
December 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I am rarely this harsh, but...what an amazing degree of idiocy went into that blog entry.

RavennaNight
December 6th, 2008, 11:00 PM
It turned my stomach so much I left a comment.

sneakybea
December 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I couldn't tell how serious the author was. I see her point about short hair using fewer resources---IF you cut your hair as short as she did, supposedly 1 inch long. Otherwise, there are a LOT of short hair cuts that are high maintenance and require tons of product and heat styling to look good. (Note that I'm not saying there aren't high maintenance long haircuts too, just that shorter hair doesn't mean fewer "products with questionable ingredients" and less heat styling). I don't use anything but shampoo and conditioner on my hair and if I use more of it each time I wash my hair than someone with shorter hair, that's probably balanced out by the fact that I wash less frequently. I don't own a blow dryer, and though I have a curling iron, it's at my parents' house and I use it less than once a year. You really can't convince me that my waist-length hair is a greater drain on the environment than my sister's highlighted, frequently blow-dried shoulder length hair.
I hope I don't sound too ranty; I consider myself an environmentalist and so that article rubbed me the wrong way.

ecologystudent
December 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Major eye-rollage here.

I'm pretty sure that hair of any length can be environmentally friendly- just as it could theoretically be horrible for the environment.

I think the author missed a opportunity to encourage women to use less hairspray and chemicals on their hair by focusing on telling them to cut it off. I certainly do not see myself spending any more resources or money on my hair as I grow it out. A little more time, yes, but doubtfully more than 5 minutes a day.

helanek
December 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
well, i think she is very serious about it - when you look at other posts, there is a lot of good issues being brought up about ecology and natural environment.

not sure what to think about the person that i got it from... is she telling me something? ;) mind you i think i spend less resources and money on my hair that she does on her. :cool:

RavennaNight
December 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
And what is wrong with "healthy intelligent mature?" Would one rather look unhealthy, immature, and dumb as doorknobs?

lizzyjo
December 6th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Haha!!! That article is rediculous. I used to have very short hair, and what I saved in conditioner, I used in hair gel. However, having short hair made me feel confident, unique, and hard core.

RavennaNight
December 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
"Cut it for the environment." :rolleyes: And "Locks of Love" wasn't enough. :justy:

SimplyLonghair
December 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I posted a comment lets see if she puts it up.

Aditi
December 7th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I don't believe this. If air pollution and water pollution wasn't enough they thought that long hairs are proven bad for the natural resources.

SaveTheTapirs
December 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Oh my goodness. I'm just glad that so many women stood up and disagreed in the comments. Does she really think that those celebrities spend fewer resources on their hair now that it's short? Please.

florenonite
December 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Wow. Just wow. Yes, a buzz uses fewer resources than long hair. However, there are few women willing to do that, and other short cuts can be very time, money and resource-consuming, much more so than long hair, and I think there are few women who are willing to buzz their hair. Beyond that, however, she should have encouraged people to have more environmentally-friendly hair in the style they like, rather than telling them to cut it, because even with short hair people can drain resources. I think I might leave a comment, even though my hair's not properly long, it's the longest it's been in a while, and it takes less effort all the time.

~GypsyCurls~
December 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Eh...

Victoria Beckham's hair is a sort of trademark for her, as for the others I think they looked better with long hair! Just my opinion though...

I remember how difficult my hair was to manage when I had it cut short and relaxed it...I couldn't do anything with it so I grew it back out. Short hair is no easy task for those with curly/wavy, or thick hair...there's nothing wrong with it of course, style should be a personal
choice.

Plus, I can only imagine how much heat and product those celebrities had to have used on their hair...

Silverlox
December 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
When I read the link, I first felt in a generous mood. Kind of like "live and let live". :)

Then I started thinking about what she was actually saying and a few things are very clear to me. The most important being that she's obviously never heard about LHC type hair care! Not many regimes are so environmentally friendly and low energy, regardless of hair length. This of course makes it easy to brush her off as a poor ignorant fool, but things are rarely that simple. :shake:

I freely admit to being vain and the fact is that not all woman can pull off a 1" cut and still feel they look good. I'm certainly not one of them! In fact, I'm quite sure that a 1" cut would make me feel de-feminised and looking completely butch. shudder: Not that I'm saying this is a bad look, if that's what you want, just that it is not for me.
Of course, that could be counteracted by starting to use a lot of hair products, styling tools and make-up, but that really seems to defeat the purpose.. :silly:

Being a Scandie is in many ways being very "green". Very few things go into landfills, we recycle almost everything and all garbage is carefully sorted into many different containers according to type. I do not have any old-fashioned light bulb, only low energy lamps. I use my bicycle a lot and always bring bags when grocery shopping. All this is commonplace here and not even regarded at being especially green or earth friendly.

When I add all this up, I don't feel bad about using highly diluted shampoo and although I do use quite a lot of conditioner, I also wash my hair more rarely than when it was short and I never use electric styling tools. As a total, I feel that my "footprint" is pleasantly petite. :D

The only thing I find disturbing right now, is why I couldn't just let this slide off, instead of being provoked into this long defensive rant? :crazyq:

goodenough
December 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I haven't had a haircut since March. My husband has needed 10. I use maybe $20 of shampoo/condish a year. I use no electricity, and I throw my shed hair outside so the birds can make nests with it. How's that for recycling?

She can enjoy her inch-long hair--good for her. I don't mean to brag--but I have never had a person tell me I should cut my hair. (ok--my mom, but we'll leave that alone) It's not just men that like it, it's men women, and children. Wow--being arrogant is fun!!

BlackfootHair
December 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, if I could make those smileys any bigger.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bunnii
December 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I left a comment, it probably won't get approved though hehe. Seriously short hair uses less product?? hehehahaha i've had hair about 2 inches long and the blowfrying, straightening, and products I used were silly! now I use EVOO and conditioner, wow i'm simply killing the earth here aren't I?? ROFL :lol:

joyfulmom4
December 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I wrote in my comments, but they're waiting for moderation. Wonder if the moderator will approve them?

Anje
December 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I, for one, enjoy looking healthy and intelligent.

I also have no doubt that if she uses so many heating products on her hair that she can save a noticable amount of electricity by not using them, she's probably using all kinds of toxic hair tonics to try to keep long hair in reasonable shape, as well. There are natural and unnatural ways to do long hair.

zen_oven
December 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
In a word: HORK

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silver & Gold
December 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hilarious! Part of the reason I'm growing my hair is because it takes less time/energy/product for me to do my hair when it is long. When it was short I washed daily and had to use lots of product and hair tools to make it behave.
Now wash 2 or 3 times a week and let it air-dry for the most part. Crazy logic. Not everyone has the same experience of short hair as this woman.

truepeacenik
December 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
where TO begin?
Let's start with her response about trims for split ends.
Shall I assume her hair does not grow? Or are my scissors somehow more "damaging to the environment" than her hairdresser's (because we know she will DRIVE for a special trip to the hairdresser's while I trim at home.)

Since it is damaging for use to use water to wash our hair and launder our towels, I'll assume she will never wash her hair (ewwwww...and people pick on dreadies).
Electricity for heat styling? Bwahahahahaha!

Women in the 1950s had authority over children, and she suggests that we all need to look like babies. Or men, I can't tell.

For most women to appear feminine with short hair, they use a lot of make up.
I'd suggest that mica mining for eyeshadow is probably worse than the growing of palm or coconuts for shampoos.
Then let's add the chemicals to remove make up, the plastic containers and wands, throwing away the old not yet used up make up , etc.

I recycle/ reuse a cardboard mailer for my shampoos. I have a couple containers of MMU, but I have repurpose plans for the containers.

I think my eating locally, being vegetarian and supporting local organic farmers, being car free, buying many of my household items used and sending the ones with life still in them back to the thrift store cycle (I sometimes joke that I rent clothes for a season or two), bake my own HFCS free bread, and growing some of my own veggies and herbs probably reduces more foot print than her (in reality) vanity cut that she's trying to justify by getting more people to do it.

ladyfairington
December 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
so basically, longer hair will be a sign of greater economic status in the future?

sweet!

i'm set to be a princess any day now! <3!

MotherConfessor
December 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I would give an amazing amount of money to meet this &!^(# in person. I can just hear the conversation now....

"You know you should really consider cutting your hair for the sake of the environment"

"Beg pardon"

"Well, for the sake of your vanity you're wasting electricity, time, money and supporting the production of toxic by products in your hair product"

Blanks stare while I work into a decent rant.

"No really it makes sense if you think about it"

"Nooo, it makes sense if you turn off the logical portion of your brain and are stupid enough to rant about hair and the environment without looking into the appropriate alternatives the haircare products you have been using. My hair is washed about once a week, which saves water, using natural products that are properly harvested and support the work of responsible craftsmen and women who in turn support the work of the people resoponsibely harvesting the natural products. My hair supports the enviroment and the local economy while your hair only serves to make you an arrogant, vain, time waisting pain in my neck."

Flip long hair over shoulder and walk triumphantly away...

Oh what i wouldent give.

mommy101405
December 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
So cutting your hair with scissors is bad for the environment and buzzing with clippers is good? Very logical :rolleyes:

I think she just got one of those nightmare haircuts she was talking about and needs some kind of justification :cheese:.

DragonLady
December 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Did she get a bleach job, too? Something fried her brain....

bunnii
December 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Our comments are up!!! mine's not as good as the rest but i'm still proud of it :D (mine under Emily)

ETA - bravo ladies :D

Dacia
December 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM
:poot: Maybe the author should read another point of view: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1092019/Does-short-haircut-mean-women-gone-sex.html

SweetPea88
December 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
WOW...just wow. :rolleyes:

GlennaGirl
December 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
GO LHC!!!!!!!!!!! (reading comments)

levelek
December 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
LMAO.
I think she was serious. She kept going on about how very long hair still requires trims which use up resources... unless you laser out the roots of your hair you are going to have to trim much more frequently to keep up a short hairstyle. And I really don't see how a few snips with my scissors at home are going to destroy the earth.
And I am cool with short hair and definitely consider myself an environmentalist. My fellow LHCers have already dealt with her very well in the comments so I'll spare the resources it would take me to cross-post this :)

levelek
December 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
:poot: Maybe the author should read another point of view: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1092019/Does-short-haircut-mean-women-gone-sex.html

Which also contains its fair share of stupid commentary... "Don't be fooled when a woman cuts it all off or completely restyles it and yet denies there's anything going on"

So in a way it's a nice complement to the blog post.

moongrrl
December 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think that all of the stereotypes in both the blog and the article are uninformed.

Oh, and I was just as sexual with short hair as I am now with long hair. Sex is in your head, not *on* your head. I am not my hair.

DecafJane
December 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This comment just cracked me up:
Short hair is worn by babies worldwide.
Very tongue-in-cheek, I think. :D

DragonLady
December 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well, I left my thoughts. I'm interested in seeing if she replies to any of the comments.

Elainehali
December 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I dont want to pollute the environment with my weekly hair clippings...Better keep it long.:eyebrows:

helanek
December 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I dont want to pollute the environment with my weekly hair clippings...Better keep it long.:eyebrows:

a very good idea indeed :D

patissegrietje
December 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hahahaha makes me laugh! I think all of my friends with short hair are far environmental unfriendly than my longlock friends! (hairspray, wash every single day, blow-fry, gel, mousse, bleach, dye etc etc)
According to my (male) neighbour women should never listen to other women that tell them to cut their hair short; 'it's a way of eliminating the competition' :D ;-)

mommy101405
December 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
sorry, my computer froze and then decided to post again.

noelgirl
December 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Anything I have to say on this has already been said - primary among the things that came to my mind is that LHC members are among the very few I know who use natural products to care for their hair. When I do shampoo (which is very infrequent), I use a very tiny bit, diluted with water and only at the roots. So yeah, try and tell me how much more shampoo I use than a short-haired person. Longhairs are also more likely to self-trim right at home, rather than driving to the salon. I could carry on for a while here. What I can tell you is that my mom, with her short hair, blow-dries and uses an aerosol hairspray every day. I can count on one hand the number of times I do either of those things in a year.

Buddaphlyy
December 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Wait, she has pictures of Victoria Beckham and Rhianna to showcase the eco friendliness of short haircuts when they are two of the most high maintenance celebs in the world. I could stop laughing after that.

LeaM07
December 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
It's just silly. There's a difference between sincerely doing what you can to preserve the Earth and just using it's emotional power to push your own social agenda. Reminds me of some of the LOL conversations that come up around here every so often... now an outdated hairstyle not only means you don't care about kids with cancer, it means you don't care about the environment. :rolleyes:

DragonLady
December 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Well, kudos to her for posting so many dissenting comments. She even posted mine, and I sincerely doubted she would. Maybe she'll join us here and start re-growing her hair. :)

AutumnSky
December 7th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Wow....

I think it's cute how she backpedaled at the end of it all.... "Ha! Just kidding!"

*yawn*

CestMadeleine
December 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I completely disagree with that article.

From what I've seen around me AND from personal experience, short hair is actually a lot more high maintenance than longer hair.

Short hair tends to stick out in places it shouldn't so a lot more product is needed to make it stay the way it should. When I had my pixie cut, my friends always touched my hair going "Ooooh crunchy" - from all the hair gel. Now that it's longer and doesn't stick out anywhere weird I actually use no product, and am more environmentally friendly and hair friendly too :)

Robbi Dehlinger
December 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I thought it was dumb?

I place it with the people who use guilt to try and make you cut your hair to contribute to Locks of Love or some similar organization?

May be I will change my goal to 96 inches to show what I think of this??

RavennaNight
December 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Wow! Everyone posted on her blog! Y'all rock. :rockerdud:

Angellen
December 8th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Wow....

I think it's cute how she backpedaled at the end of it all.... "Ha! Just kidding!"

*yawn*

My thoughts exactly.

I am quite amused, though. It made for an interesting read. :)