PDA

View Full Version : Face framing layers

Tangles
December 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hey so I'm bummed out by the fact that I can't seem to decide between having FFL or not. I just trimmed mine again because I have so much new growth near my hairline and don't want all these different lengths, but now I regret it :rolleyes:

In my view, there are pros and cons of having them or growing them out.

Pros:
-Prevent length from dragging down too much near the face
-Looks more "modern"
-Adds softness to updos
-Takes care of wispies and blends in new growth better.

Cons:
-Takes away from a thick hemline
-Doesn't feel "long and smooth" all over
-Get into my face
-Don't go into some updos
-Detract from the "classic" look
-Tend to dry out sooner than the length

Am I just overthinking this because I'm going crazy... I think I want to grow them out to collarbone, but what if they look all raggedy then due to new growth? How do I just forget about this stupid fringe?!

GlennaGirl
December 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I have to tell you...I have pretty thin hair, and I don't feel like the bangs I cut took away from the overall thickness very much. Not at all noticeably, actually.

I've grown out my bangs a few times and each time I thought I'd get allllllll this extra thickness, plus some huge sense of satisfaction, plus an incredible smoothness-like-glass look...but instead I just got...a boring look. (For me. Some people look hot in all-one-length hair, both male and female.)

When you think about it, you'll never have all your hairs the same length anyway since at any given time, you have new hairs growing in, old ones falling out and ones in between at every conceivable length.

The choice is up to you in the end, of course, but that's my $.02. :)

morguebabe
December 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have long sweepy bangs. It's a love/hate thing.
But I find they get greasy and piecey faster than the length.
Shurgs..there are days I love them and there I days I hate the fact I begged and talked my stylist for two years to cut them...she knew I'd hate them with my long hair. LOL

EDIT
I DID however loose in my opinion ALOT of thickness

Tangles
December 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I would sweep them to the side as they grow out, but this always makes me look like I have greasy-head for some reason, not to mention it makes my face look even thinner than it already does. WHY DID I CUT THEM AGAIN!?!?!? (to just below jaw) I swear I become more idiotic every day. At least I didn't trim my hem.

Curlsgirl
December 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Maybe you could write down your feelings right now and then look back at it when you think about doing it again. I cut my bangs again and I am very glad so it sometimes works out. You weren't sure and you did it. No big deal. It will grow out! Think of the pro's and try to overlook the other. You can always clip them back and if they get greasy or piecy wash them and not your whole head. I do that with my bangs a LOT.

crystal_89
December 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
In addition to writing down your feelings about them, take lots of pictures of them in this stage and as you're growing them out so you can remember for next time how they look.

spidermom
December 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I think you might be second-guessing yourself too much. You have fringe now. Enjoy it. Some of the cons you listed wouldn't occur to me at all. It gets into your face? That's what cute little pins and clips and head-bands are for. Fringe takes away too much of your thickness? Measure the circumference of just your fringe (mine is less than 1/8"). Doesn't go into some up-dos? That's kind of the point, isn't it? Hair all skinned back gives a rather harsh look to all but the most beautifully proportioned of face shapes and features. And there are still pins and clips and so forth to secure fringe back if you must. About the only thing I want a fringe-free style for is house or yard work. Otherwise I twirl all my fringe around lightly gelled fingers to encourage as much of a curl as possible. I hope you begin to enjoy your fringe more.

jesamyn
December 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have long sweepy bangs and noticed that they get greasy sometimes too. I started pinning them up when they are drying. They were picking up my moisturizer from my face immediately post-shower, and they didn't need it. Pins and clips are a great way to deal with them while you are growing them out too, if you decide to go that route.

justgreen
December 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Dang, I'm at the same crossroads where you are....I'm thinking about letting the top portion (my bangs are cut really deep) grow out, so am thinking about just a couple of sections snipped, but I've gotten really accustomed to my hair staying back behind my shoulders....let me know what you decide!

Tangles
December 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I think you might be second-guessing yourself too much. You have fringe now. Enjoy it. Some of the cons you listed wouldn't occur to me at all. It gets into your face? That's what cute little pins and clips and head-bands are for. Fringe takes away too much of your thickness? Measure the circumference of just your fringe (mine is less than 1/8"). Doesn't go into some up-dos? That's kind of the point, isn't it? Hair all skinned back gives a rather harsh look to all but the most beautifully proportioned of face shapes and features. And there are still pins and clips and so forth to secure fringe back if you must. About the only thing I want a fringe-free style for is house or yard work. Otherwise I twirl all my fringe around lightly gelled fingers to encourage as much of a curl as possible. I hope you begin to enjoy your fringe more.

Good points. I may take some pictures with fringe and with fringe pushed back to get some opinions. I guess that sounds a bit obsessive but whatever...

justgreen
December 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Good points. I may take some pictures with fringe and with fringe pushed back to get some opinions. I guess that sounds a bit obsessive but whatever...

Don't worry about coming across as obsessive....we are all members of the same long hair board....:D

spidermom
December 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hair obsession is normal around here. I've been posting pictures of possible styles to wear to a party in my blog and feeling sad because I'm not getting much feedback. (pout!)