PDA

View Full Version : I don't feel like a long-hair anymore

CaraLynn
March 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
My short-haired friends tell me that my hair is still long, (a few inches below shoulder length) but every time I see it or feel it all I think is , "SHORT!!" It was soooo close to waist length before the Stylist from Hell chopped it all off. This is embarrassing, but I actually cry when I look at it and it's been almost two weeks! So depressed......

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Aww, you poor thing! Of course you're still a longhair: it's all in the attitude, not the actual hair. Do you treat your hair well and intend to grow it long? If yes then you're still a longhair. Don't worry it will grow. Try to put it up and forget about it and it will be waist length in no time.

Patrycja
March 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Aww, you poor thing! Of course you're still a longhair: it's all in the attitude, not the actual hair. Do you treat your hair well and intend to grow it long? If yes then you're still a longhair. Don't worry it will grow. Try to put it up and forget about it and it will be waist length in no time.

That is awesome advice.I was going to say the same exact thing and all I'm going to say now is "ditto" and give you a flower because that's what you need Caralynn :blossom:

heidihug
March 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hugs to you, CaraLynn! You know you've got supportive friends here!

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I will say the same. Just put it up, don't think about it too much and it'll be at length in no time!

Neon Gloss
March 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I've been measuring my hair everyday since I found this place--it's an obsession. I got someone to hide my measuring tape so that I can take it easy for a little while.

The most important thing to do is not think about it. You'll be at your goal length in a matter of months, just keep your mind occupied with other things. You can put your hair in a bun daily until you reach your goal, and then surprise your friends--it's what I'm doing. Well, not for my long-term goal, but you know what I mean. :P

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Another vote to just put it up :) Preferably in a style like a peacock twist, which you can't do at longer lengths

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with the Stylist from H*ll. It would be surprising if you were not mourning what was taken from you so unexpectedly.

There are people here of all hair lengths - those at your length and just longer. I do hope that you will allow them to nurture you as you regain your lost length.

There also are those who have not yet reached your length - whom you can help if you share your experience and knowledge. I hope that you will be open to this.

And before long, I look forward to the celebration when you let us know that you finally have reached waist!

FrannyG
March 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
In the real world, your hair is long. In the LHC world you are still a longhair. As others have eloquently expressed, being a longhair is a state of mind--it's not a reading on a measuring tape. Honest. :flowers:

Carolyn
March 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I so feel your pain! :grouphug: I had the same thing happen to me at the beginning of my current long hair journey. I cried about it for ages. I could hardly bear to look at it in the mirror. It made me sick to see it. I did the put it up and stop looking at it thing. Claw clips were the only thing I could use to put it up. I had too many layers for a decent ponytail. After about 3 or 4 months I could see that it was growing and I started feeling better. I can't tell you how much I still regret going for that haircut.

royalscorpio
March 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Keep that chin up! You are what you believe you are! So the sooner you accept and believe that you are a long hair, despite your hair not being AS long as you want, you will be. And your hair will grow and get to where you want it. Time will fly, it always does. :) Stay positive!

CaraLynn
March 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks all for your encouraging words!

Elyce
March 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
CaraLynn, your hair is still long! I'm so sorry this happened. I have a fear of hair stylists. I'm sure you do now too. Please cheer up. I would be crying too, honestly. But putting it up and trying to think about how long it's going to be will be more helpful.

Sending a hug :)

NightingaleLHC
March 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
::hugs:: :karma:

LifeisAdventure
March 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Don't cry CaraLynn! It could always be worse. At least the hair you have is healthy and beautiful and you are on the right path to even longer, healthier, more beautiful hair! Think of it as a new beginning -- a chance to try new hair experiments that seemed too treacherous for longer hair and an opportunity to improve your styling abilities!

You've got all the love you need right here at LHC, plus a few (hundred) shoulders to cry on if you ever really need us. Smile CaraLynn dear, and we'll smile with you! :flower:

Lixie
March 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
CaraLynn, I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable about your hair. I agree with the advice you've already been given; put it up and try not to think about it too much. Before you know it, you'll have gained some of that length back.

Also take the time to enjoy some updos that can't be achieved so easily or at all at longer lengths. :flowers:

spidermom
March 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I'm so sorry you got bush-whacked while you weren't looking. The thing to do now, I believe, is make the best of it. There are a lot of great styles between your length and waist. We will look forward to seeing pictures of some of them.

Carina
March 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I know how you feel.I still think I have short hair when I'm an inch from bsl.I'm nuts I know:crazyq:.But it will grow long again:agree:.It can be so depressing when a stylist ruins everything you've worked for:mad:.I just wish you could find someone you trust to trim your hair.Have nice day:D

Alley Cat
March 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I am sorry you feel so sad about this :flowers:
How about you look around at the hair length of people in the real world , I think you will be surprised how long your hair really is. :)

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 01:39 AM
cheer up. If i were you i would miss the length but be happy my ends were improved- i defenetly NEED a trim, but i want to maintain waist to change my hemn shapefor a mini bit. I'm not there yet.
You are a long hair at heart. I look at my hair and think it is short because i used to have thigh length hair and i want knee length, but there are people whose goal is waist, and would think my hair is long. In RL though, people think your hair is long. so really, try to see the posistive, hair grows, being sad won't help it grow faster. Give yourself scalp massages, eat right, take vitamins, be healthy, and use monistat on your head and it will all be better soon :).

I cut off 6 cm last year when i just hit waist. That was very sad. I just reached that point now. Back then i was chopping out layers, and in all honesty my hair is not any thicker at the same length, so now on i am only micrtrimming to freshen the ends so it is easier to tangle, not as an attempt to thicken it up. I do need to get out all my damage but i will be doing that slowly.

And at least you didn't chop off a foot braid ( i did once) now THAT was sad!!!!

zaramamma
May 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Don't feel embarrassed. Last year, I had the cut from hell and I was at tailbone length and I cried. But good care is helping me reach to to tail again.

dragonchickx
May 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
I hate hearing about these things, thats why I dont go to barbers anymore : ( everytime ive had a bad experience. Like I remember a few times ago the girl was on the phone while cutting my hair and she made it so uneven in the back it took a year to correct XO!!

gingylocks
May 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've cried from a bad haircut too. I asked a friend to trim my hair instead of going to a salon (oh, the plight of a poor college student!) and she chopped at least 6 inches off, claiming "it was all dead ends".

I feel like when people have scissors in their hands, they lose their ability to think straight. At least we can be comforted by the fact that it will grow back!

spidermom
May 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
This thread is more than 2 years old. The original poster doubtless has her length back now and then some.

dancingunicorn
May 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Don't worry, it will grow back! And it will be even more gratifying now because you want it more! Try some cute styles that you can only do with the length that you have. Don't dwell on it, enjoy life! :D

trillcat
May 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Aw sweetie, don't cry! :flowers:
Your hair IS long still!
And no doubt super healthy!
I don't think there are many of us here that don't have a disaster story, you are in good company.
I agree to do some fun updos with it, lots of things to do with it that can't be done by those with longer locks, and it will grow back, it will!
When I pixied myself I was heartbroken, done out of spite to hurt someone, but here I am with waist hair again, (and the looser who broke my heart long gone from my life) it will happen!

Oops, just noticed this thread is from 2008!

enfys
May 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
This thread is more than 2 years old. The original poster doubtless has her length back now and then some.

Ironically, no. But I'm glad to see she is still posting :)

CaraLynn recently started this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64767

spidermom
May 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Ironically, no. But I'm glad to see she is still posting :)

CaraLynn recently started this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64767

I forgot that was her!

dulce
May 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
had the same thing happen to me in the past-now hubbie cuts my hair! no more stylists for me-

terpentyna
May 1st, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm truly sorry you had to go through this. I tried to imagine imagine how I would feel... Good thing is hair grows back, it truly does, just be patient and admit to yourself that it won't do so by any outside force... It's one of the things that growing hair out has taught me - to have this combination of patience and letting things be as they are. Change can be slow, and it is a process.

Last year I had to have about 3 inches cut to even out my hair because I had an asymetrical bob and now I don't even feel it : )

nena_shawty
May 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Im really sry I recently had the same experience...although i didnt feel like a long hair before but it was very upsetting .

Angela_Rose
May 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Aww! Longhairs: it's a state of mind, not a number.

Just think of all the new posts you get to make- "Hey! Finally back at BSL!" "Hey! Finally back at Waist!" "Ooh, Tailbone! This is new!"

::hugs::