PDA

View Full Version : Weekly magazine attacks long hair

aragorn
December 6th, 2008, 05:27 AM
At the supermarket I work at, I came across one of those weekly tabloids left open by another cashier. It had those celebrity makeover pages and almost every single one of them had a long hair to short hair makeover. Not only that but the editor of that section called each and every one of them a good move. Makes me think that this person must have had a real bias towards short hair.

Every type of usual long hair comment was made. Liv Tyler "stopped hiding behind her hair." Gwyneth Paltrow's long hair was "outdated." Anne Hathaway's liberation through cutting off her hair. Same with Katie Holmes.

Anyone who reads this magazine for what beauty trends to follow, is sure to go in for a chop. I just felt that this magazine was so biased and made long hair seem like such a burden. Maybe if one of those cuts was deemed a bad one, it wouldn't bother me.

Just kind of ranting here. But how do you all respond when you read things like this?

florenonite
December 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I make sarcastic and cynical comments to myself (or a friend if I'm with one) about why they're wrong. For instance, Katie Holmes' "liberation" in cutting off her hair, well, didn't she kind of just do it to copy Victoria Beckham? How is it liberating to get the same haircut your friend has? It helps me laugh it off because I get really annoyed by bias.

mellie
December 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I think short is the latest trend. I just noticed Alanis Morrissette got called out for her "insanely long locks"... argh!!

Well if everyone else cuts their hair short, then our beautiful long hair will be that much more gorgeous! :-)

DaveDecker
December 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Has anyone ever seen a media presentation where long hair was promoted by criticizing short hair?

Anyone have any doubts as to the continued existence of media bias in favor of short hair?

shrimp
December 6th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Honestly - my reaction would be 'meh :shrug: '

Now... if we want to talk about the sitaution in the Congo, FGM, equal wages for equal work...

sorry, know this is a hair board and I'm not trying to be holier than thou, but there are bigger things in this world to get upset about than other people's hair and you did ask for people's atual reactions.

Lamb
December 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
The editor was probably just taking a shortcut - no pun intended. Seriously, if you are running late with an article, just take a few makeover pics, some worn out commonplace nonsense about hair, copy and paste, and you're all set. :cool: For 60p/copy, I call it a fair deal. :cool:

30isthenewblack
December 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Honestly - my reaction would be 'meh :shrug: '

Now... if we want to talk about the sitaution in the Congo, FGM, equal wages for equal work...

sorry, know this is a hair board and I'm not trying to be holier than thou, but there are bigger things in this world to get upset about than other people's hair and you did ask for people's atual reactions.

As you said this is a hair forum so this comment is probably unwarranted. I remember spending quite a lot of time reading one of your posts on the friendship forum which had no relevance to world affairs.

Back to the OP, I do get annoyed by comments about people who have long hair but I also get annoyed by any comments directed at people who have curly hair or single women 30+. I take what I want to take from magazines and newspapers and ignore the rest.

bte
December 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I think that apart from long hair, one of the things which unites most LHCers is a refusal to be told what we should do by other people, especially not empty headed journalists with empty pages to fill for a (mainly) empty headed audience.

So, my reaction is that anybody silly enough to be told how to look by some fashion guru isn't worth getting concerned over. So far as I know, the number of people at LHC is continuing to grow, so there are lots of really sensible gurus here to guide the masses, even if not all of them are listening.

shrimp
December 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Fair enough - I did apologise in advance as I knew my response would probably be out of the norm for the responses that the thread would get. I wasn't trying to have a go at the op or anyone who disagress with me.

But I did want to give my honest response

and that really is that I don't care what magazines may say about haircuts (and I genuinely am upset by the fact that people are upset by those articles, and not because I think those people are wrong or bad or shallow or whatever).

ermmm so - once again - sorry! Esp to OP :cheese:

(eta - and to be fair I didn't say that nothing was important but world affairs)

Chanterelle
December 6th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Just wait till all of them get new hair extensions :)

florenonite
December 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM

HAHAHA! Yeah, next year we'll have naturally lovely long hair and all those people who cut their hair into bobs to follow the fashions (especially celebrities, who can afford such things) will have extensions to get long hair :D

Nat242
December 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
<snip>
Just kind of ranting here. But how do you all respond when you read things like this?

Well, frankly, I don't read the sort of publications that include pieces like this. If a fluff piece, about hair or anything else, pops up in a newspaper or journal that I like, well, I just skip it. Not interested.

Also, not meaning to be too blunt, I just don't give a fluff in high wind about what anyone thinks of the way I dress or my hair. I don't care what the celebrities are doing. I don't care what the stylists say. I don't care what's "in fashion" and what's not. I find all that incredibly uninteresting. I wear what I like to wear, and have my hair how I like it.

So to answer your question, should something like this come to my attention, I respond with a resounding shrug. It's a shame that more diverse types of beauty aren't recognised in our world, but the best way to battle such attitudes is to simply pay no heed, and continue to be beautiful or not beautiful in whatever way that makes us happy.

RavennaNight
December 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I just thought of something funny:

So we have deduce in past threads an the like that magazines and the salon industry say short hair is in because it requires more maintenence and product to keep the look. Okay, so it's about selling products and making money. Hmmm: about those global affairs... We are in a recession, people are losing jobs, times are tough (not the funny part :( ). So I guess people will be affording those haircuts and products less, henceforth long hair, which is less $$$ upkeep, will become the fashion once again! :laugh:

Speckla
December 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Fluffy pieces can be fun to relieve some stress from focusing on harrowing world events but they're not fun to read when they insult people.
________
Amc spirit history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_Spirit)

savi
December 6th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I have a feeling I wouldn't have paid any attention to the word choises.. But I find magazines inpersonal, but should it translate to everyday life comments, I'd be writing angry letters. Probably.
And my magazine choises are rather different, except when I want fluff I buy one of those mags full of hair pictures.. Call me strange. :D

MsBubbles
December 6th, 2008, 08:10 AM
The overwhelming thought that enters my head whenever I see those bogus make-overs chopping off hair, is that whenever such media want to depict a Goddess-like female, the models all have long, flowy hair!! It's too funny. Eg: Victoria's Secret, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, any Superbowl Pepsi ad showing thirteen year old boys with their jaws on the floor over some dreamwoman.

And I know it's not all about the guys' opinions, but I have yet to meet one who prefers shorter hair on a woman.

Before I was a long-hair believer I used to see those hair-chopping make overs and wonder what the stylists were thinking, taking a perfectly wonderful head of hair and converting the woman into a wallflower.

And yeah...pretty much everyone in Hollywood uses hair extensions at some point.

But my first point is the reason those articles don't really upset me any more. For every dumb make-over article there is usually some Goddess-depicting ad to counteract it.

Themyst
December 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
At the supermarket I work at, I came across one of those weekly tabloids left open by another cashier. It had those celebrity makeover pages and almost every single one of them had a long hair to short hair makeover. Not only that but the editor of that section called each and every one of them a good move. Makes me think that this person must have had a real bias towards short hair.

Every type of usual long hair comment was made. Liv Tyler "stopped hiding behind her hair." Gwyneth Paltrow's long hair was "outdated." Anne Hathaway's liberation through cutting off her hair. Same with Katie Holmes.

Anyone who reads this magazine for what beauty trends to follow, is sure to go in for a chop. I just felt that this magazine was so biased and made long hair seem like such a burden. Maybe if one of those cuts was deemed a bad one, it wouldn't bother me.

Just kind of ranting here. But how do you all respond when you read things like this? Bolding added by me.

These are just people trying to push an idea to get themselves noticed and in a magazine. They could just as easily done it with a 'long hair is back!' article but they went ahead and chose the dark side.

Besides, I remember when Katie Holmes did that to her hair, a lot of the media made fun of her for it. I caught an episode of TMZ (not my usual entertainment choice, mind you) and they had film of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise side by side from the back and it was actually difficult to tell them apart! :D

Curlsgirl
December 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm another one who really doesn't pay attention to such things probably because it does annoy me! The general media is not only biased about this but so many other things it's ridiculous. Like someone said already though, in a year or 2 long hair will be coveted and we'll have it and they'll be gluing extensions on as usual. Hee hee.

Sissy
December 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I think all of the original celebs looked absolutely stunning with long hair, especially Paltrow. I cannot understand why they'd chop it. Of course, I've always been very partial to long hair.:o

zen_oven
December 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I mostly ignore the media, especially tabloids and magazines like People because I don't see why people give a crap about celebrity gossip. But yeah, biases against long hair are irritating. I just can't figure out the media's problem with long hair these days. But then, I've never been one to care about current fashion trends, so it's kind of lost on me.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you a little bit about my husband. So DH is kind of like Don Quixote. He likes to live as if the world is as wonderful as he thinks it should be. This can be exasperating, but for the most part, it is very cute (hubs is never without a huge grin on his face). To that end, he also likes to think that he's the zeitgeist for the rest of the world, and I honestly can't disagree with him too much because it seems like every time he decides he likes something, it becomes trendy. So since he loves my long hair, long hair just may become fashionable again. :D

LawyerGirl
December 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hmmm... when I cut my hair short at first, I looked through some magazines looking for cute short-hair ideas and found NONE. People kept talking about long, feminine waves and messy up-do's etc. I had trouble finding any short hair styles, advice, or models.

Wavelength
December 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Honestly, I think quite often celebrities HAVE to get a haircut because their extensions have caused too much damage. So off to the hairstylist they go to get the extensions removed and the damage trimmed off. Then the magazines come along and praise them for how wonderful they look in their "new, edgy style", when really it was a matter of getting the extensions out and the damage trimmed before the bald patches showed up.

Perhaps that wasn't the case with these particular celebrities, but it definitely happens a lot.

Peggy E.
December 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
It's all a matter of marketing. Salons are concerned that should women begin growing long hair, most of them will stop coming in for the trims that short hair requires.

It's easier for them to push the short hair in support of their business than to instill a new mind set in women that long hair does, indeed, need care.

Funny, though, when you look at ads that feature a sex-appeal edge always have long-haired women. When femininity is called for, there's the long-hair. Even the older, more sophisticated women showing up more regularly are even sporting long hair.

The only place you consistently find short hair is in make-overs and when you stop to think about it, it makes sense. You can't take a short-haired woman and make her a long-haired in an immediate makeover, whereas you can take long hair and cut it short.

I don't know what the deal is with Katie Holmes, but seems to me she has managed to lose herself somewhere in the Cruise machinery into which she's being mangled. And that Beckworth woman is not a role model for anyone with a modicum of good taste.... :o(

If we didn't read it, talk about it, try to emulate it, then these make-over articles would cease and that would be that!

papillon
December 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The overwhelming thought that enters my head whenever I see those bogus make-overs chopping off hair, is that whenever such media want to depict a Goddess-like female, the models all have long, flowy hair!! It's too funny. Eg: Victoria's Secret, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, any Superbowl Pepsi ad showing thirteen year old boys with their jaws on the floor over some dreamwoman.

Funny, though, when you look at ads that feature a sex-appeal edge always have long-haired women. When femininity is called for, there's the long-hair. Even the older, more sophisticated women showing up more regularly are even sporting long hair.

The only place you consistently find short hair is in make-overs and when you stop to think about it, it makes sense. You can't take a short-haired woman and make her a long-haired in an immediate makeover, whereas you can take long hair and cut it short.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post. I read beauty magazines for fun and for fashion ideas. It seems most of the time, there are pictures depicting dramatic cuts for a makeover, because the person then looks really different. But then, there's always an article on Giselle Bunchen's long wavy locks!

Shadow Walker
December 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Those articles make me laugh, because if long hair is so 'out' then why do the Victoria's Secret models have long hair? I'd love to try to see some schmuck who writes for a tabloid try to tell those ladies that long hair isn't in or isn't beautiful. :P

backtolonghair
December 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Yea, I've actually noticed the trend the other way around actually. I have seen alot more celebrities and just people in general going more toward the long hair route, than short hair. Whoever wrote that magazine isn't keeping as up to date as they think. ;)

I think it will always be what's in one month, is out the next. Just wear your hair the way you want to, and for me that is long. :)

joyfulmom4
December 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
The world of fashion and celebrity requires CHANGE in order to keep things interesting. Therefore the stars of Hollywood must change their look often in order to remain in the eye of the fashion reporters.

If you've got long hair, what more obvious and dramatic way to change it than to cut it? Obviously you can style it different ways, but it's not the kind of change that draws commentary the way chopping off 6" of hair does. Ykwim?

Long hair takes a long time to grow. It takes patience. There's no room for patience and growing out your hair in the fashion world. You bleach blonde, dye dark, go red, get an edgy new cut. But you can't afford to go through the pains of growing your hair out. Nor can you remain the same too long or you won't show up on the style pages. You could get some hair extensions (and how many long-haired stars have them???) But nobody's gonna have long, long hair of their own.

I think this pretty much precludes the fashion world from EVER embracing long hair. If the stars can't have it (and they really CAN'T, can they?) then it will never make its way into the mainstream of fashion.

Any one of us here could have an edgy new short haircut if we wanted to.

But how many people could have Lady Godiva's hair?

backtolonghair
December 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Those articles make me laugh, because if long hair is so 'out' then why do the Victoria's Secret models have long hair? I'd love to try to see some schmuck who writes for a tabloid try to tell those ladies that long hair isn't in or isn't beautiful. :P

That is so funny and true! I just saw pictures of that victoria's secret show on yahoo and thought about that!

Thanks for sharing :)

lora410
December 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
You will constantly run across articles that bash long hair. It's nothing new and once long hair is in again then everyone will have extensions :rolleyes:

Unofficial_Rose
December 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Gwyneth Paltrow's long hair was "outdated." Anne Hathaway's liberation through cutting off her hair. Same with Katie Holmes.

My response would be that there's nothing very liberating about having to get up earlier than usual because you have to wash and style your hair in the morning, otherwise it looks awful!

Whereas being able to wash it less often, and in the evening, then in the morning put it up in a stick/ficcare and go straight out of the door, now that's liberating :D

Never going to the salon for cut/colour etc is also very liberating, in my recent experience :cheer:

xrosiex
December 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I just thought of something funny:

So we have deduce in past threads an the like that magazines and the salon industry say short hair is in because it requires more maintenence and product to keep the look. Okay, so it's about selling products and making money. Hmmm: about those global affairs... We are in a recession, people are losing jobs, times are tough (not the funny part :( ). So I guess people will be affording those haircuts and products less, henceforth long hair, which is less $$$ upkeep, will become the fashion once again! :laugh:

I love this post. Great idea:):):)

twilight_faerie
December 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I don't really get annoyed by those things, partly because I find it obnoxious for some magazine or tabloid writer to tell me how I should look, and party because I honestly don't care what other people are doing with their hair. But, then again, I've never really been one to care about what people thought about me. If people don't like my hair...tough. Like I've said about a million times about my eyebrow ring, I don't do it to make other people happy, I do it to make *me* happy. In short, I don't let these kinds of people bother me. If everyone obeys what the magazines tell us to do, we'll all look exactly the same.

noelgirl
December 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Maybe I'm buying into the gossip a bit too much, but I'd hardly put Katie Holmes and "liberated" in the same sentence. In fact, another magazine said that Tom forced her to cut her hair, and she was very upset about it. Not sure how much of that I buy either, but I will say that my first reaction to the idea that Katie is in any way liberated was a big laugh.

BranwenWolf
December 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
The people that act like I'm a freak for having hair so long (and it's only waist-length now, it was to my knees before!) are about tied with the people who compliment my hair.

Having long hair with no bangs and a center part in a sea of bob haircuts with the sideswept bangs makes me feel unique. My hair behaves better when it's long.

If people want to trash on women for having long gorgeous locks, I think:
1. They're jealous:eyebrows:
2. Who cares? The hair owner is the one that should be happy with it.
3. I think these folks are missing something. Long, healthy hair definitely turns heads. Especially on windy days when it's like a flag...

sahiba
December 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe they all have tie ups with the beauticians :uhh: ... first get people to cut their hair ,then make them get extentions. Money earned 50:50.

GlennaGirl
December 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I used to write for a magazine, so I don't pay much attention to articles like this one. Look at it this way: Nodding one's head and agreeing is nowhere near as exciting as saying, "I think EXACTLY the opposite" and surprising people.

If you want to sell an article, you openly criticize someone that other people look up to. You must be an expert if you can even criticize celebrities...right?

I realize it's all in good fun, and for some people, fashion and/or celebrity gossip is/are hobby(ies). So I'm not criticizing it per se. I'm just saying, no, definitely don't stake your life (or your hairstyle) on what the "experts" say you should do with your look. They're not actually trying to help you. ;) They don't even know you. They're just trying to sell a magazine.

purplebubba
December 7th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I agree GG.
If you are a fashion writer you have to come up with something different to write about each month. The editor isn't going to let you get by with writing the same stuff each month.

To compare it to something else if it were sports instead of hair. Each week before the football games the "experts" give their picks. They don't all pick the same ones and they aren't always right. The same would be true if they had a panel of fashion writers and stylists trying to guess what style would be in that week or month.

brok3nwings
December 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM
i was never influenced by those magazines (and i dont read them) so it doesnt make anything to me. if people are influenced by that i just hope they feel happy about their new cut. The only thing that sometimes makes me "think" is hair colour... thats the only kind of envy i have right now

Lady Lilya
December 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM
You can go from long to short very quickly. From short to long takes time. So, for long hair to become popular, people have to start growing it BEFORE it is "in." It is a Catch 22.

The next fashion we should push for is COVERED hair. Then people will not have any incentive to cut it while it is hidden. By the time that becomes "last year" everyone will have long hair to bring out from hiding.

spidermom
December 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I think of articles like that (which I see in doctor or dentist offices, not in my home) as entertainment, not advice. It's like looking through a picture book. Every once in awhile, I actually prefer the short-hair look on somebody.

But none of it applies to me.

Amara
December 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I like these articles.

It means that my long hair isn't going to be copied by a bunch of people. I like being different. :)

Alun
December 7th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You can go from long to short very quickly. From short to long takes time. So, for long hair to become popular, people have to start growing it BEFORE it is "in." It is a Catch 22.

Very perceptive. Fashion cycles are much shorter than the time it takes to grwo out. IMHO this is the real reason why followers of fashion like short hair, and vicea versa.

I am sad at Anne Hathaway getting the chop. For me, her hair was the highlight of those kids' movies that she has been in.

Besides, I remember when Katie Holmes did that to her hair, a lot of the media made fun of her for it. I caught an episode of TMZ (not my usual entertainment choice, mind you) and they had film of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise side by side from the back and it was actually difficult to tell them apart! :D

I saw one article that said that they had mistaken them for a lesbian couple. Not a nice thing to say, but certainly not a ringing endorsement of women with short styles.

I have also read very odd rumours that he is gay and that their child "isn't real" or "doesn't exist", whatever that may mean.

Tangles
December 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
It just irks me that people view long hair as some sort of "indulgence," that's all. It's a natural extension of the human body and looks beautiful on most women. Maybe that's what scares people... the naturalness of it.

Beloved
December 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hmmm... when I cut my hair short at first, I looked through some magazines looking for cute short-hair ideas and found NONE.

LG, why did you decide to cut it short, if I may ask.

No judgment, I'm just interested.

Beloved
December 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't mind if people criticize my choice to grow long hair.

Not only do I get to enjoy having beautiful long hair, but I get to feel like strong-minded, independent person for doing so. :gift::cake::cookie:

When someone makes a hair choice that's outside the norm, it shows that person doesn't care about the norm. That's real reason people get bent out of shape when someone won't cut their hair. People are threatened by someone who doesn't need their approval.

I mean, it would cost you all of 40 bucks to get your hair cut to a socially acceptable length, but you can't be bothered? That's a visual testament to the fact that you value your own perceptions above anyone else's. That's especially true for the men here, who are daring to be different!

BranwenWolf
December 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I
When someone makes a hair choice that's outside the norm, it shows that person doesn't care about the norm. That's real reason people get bent out of shape when someone won't cut their hair. People are threatened by someone who doesn't need their approval.

YES! That's IT, exactly! Now it's starting to make sense why so many people were like "why don't you cut your hair?"

It bothers them to see a person handing a giant bronx cheer to "convention."

wintersun99
December 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Generally, I think the makeovers are warranted. More often than not, the hair is damaged and unhealthy and needs to be cut...

ajr
December 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I agree with wintersun on this. Anyone in the public eye is going to have their hair styled far more often then most. The amount of heat, hairspray, teasing etc it just makes sense for models and actresses to keep their hair in shorter cuts or to have extensions.

KiwiLiz
December 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I just pick up a vogue or some other higher end fashion magazine and admire all the models with long hair. :D

I follow fashion, but I can't stand those trash tabloid magazines, they're just so incredibly mean spirited all the time -especially about weight, the subject of their scrutiny is always either too thin or too fat, and there is always something wrong with that.

TofuWarrior
December 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I haven't noticed any short hair bias in magazines as I am too busy seething about the straight hair bias. I have loose curls and magazines seem to try to ignore that hair type and hope it'll go away. God forbid someone might not use straighteners on a daily basis.

[/hijack]

Yedda
December 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Well most people look good in a variety of hairstyles and cuts. My hair is shorter now and it is a pretty cut on me. Articles like that do not bother me, because length of hair isn't as important to me as the health of the hair. I do agree that fashion magazines, editors, etc. do tend to say long hair is out of date. I remember a co-worker once told me I looked like I was from a tribal village because my hair was grown out at the time(not as a compliment if you can't tell.) I did look better after I cut my hair because my hair was unhealthy at the time. But as far a hair and the common opinion, I will treat it as I do everything else. If it looks good, I'll wear it. It is looks hideous, I won't. I don't care if it is in style or not. I see some pages in magazines where they say certain things are fashion don'ts and the women look great and then they will label a fashion do to something that looks terrible to me. I read today that flannel and plaid is out of style on women, but I'll be wearing my flannel coat tomorrow looking as good as ever:cheese:

Dreamernz
December 29th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I agree with everyone here but on the positive side, if more people have short hair, then the long hair on us will seem all the more amazing! :D

Tap Dancer
December 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I love how celebs cut their hair and then soon after they're wearing extensions. :rolleyes:

Lady Verity
December 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM
The day I do what a fashion magazine tells me to do is the day I stick my head inside a gas cooker.

butterflykisses
December 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I saw that article and chuckled to myself, and then wanted to come here to comment on it. alas, I forgot...

The thingt about those makeover artyicles tht I hate is that they deliberately choose really bad 'before' pictures and good, glamorous, attractive, 'after' pictures. For a second I was looking at it thinking wow, she really IS hiding behind long hair. Then I remembered that there are many other pictures of those women looking attractive and glamourours and beautiful with their long hair as well.

Darkhorse1
December 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I read an article about Alanis Morrisette regretted cutting her hair way short and was so happy when it got longer.

For hollywood, it's all about trends though. So, stars constantly have to reinvent themselves, their 'look', style etc. I think Katie holmes looks great with her variety of shorter cuts. I loved it long though because I love long hair. Doesn't mean it's practical for her at this time. Same with other stars. I mean, look at Demi Moore--she's got lovely long hair. There are quite a few stars with long locks---the magazines just make up stuff to sell their product. They usually are speaking out of their a$$e$.

Just my two cents :D

SHELIAANN1969
December 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I saw that one too, I was thinking "what a stupid comment" :rolleyes:

I think short is the latest trend. I just noticed Alanis Morrissette got called out for her "insanely long locks"... argh!!

Well if everyone else cuts their hair short, then our beautiful long hair will be that much more gorgeous! :-)

Kirin
December 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
The day I do what a fashion magazine tells me to do is the day I stick my head inside a gas cooker.

Pardon.....

hahahahahahaha! I was thinking the SAME thing.

I'm sorry makeover crap means nothing to me. I dress up when I'm going out, thats it. I don't really care to wear pointy toe pumps because the are "in" while i'm scrubbing a toilet!

I still say, the media hypes short hair as "great" so the ones with long hair (like all the freakin stylists chopping off everyone's hair) look great in comparison.

Bene
December 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
these sorts of things don't bother me, for a couple of reasons:

a) tabloids are full of sh*t

b) i know what i like, i know what i have, and i know what i want. i like, want, and have long hair. i don't need tabloids to instill me with doubts about something like my hair. if they want to spend money, ink, and paper on creating arbitrary standards of beauty, it doesn't affect me.

c) if all the idiots in the world start listening to tabloids, and start chopping off their hair, my hair will actually be something special. i'll let it down and watch the idiots ooooh and ahhhh at it. and then wield a large stick to keep them at bay.

jojo
December 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It really doesn't bother me,id much rather be a trend setter than a trend follower. Puff ball skirts are the latest trend but ive no intention of wearing one of those either:D each to their own,it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same stuff I suppose!;)

Silver Strands
December 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I don't buy magazines.
But I do browse while in line.

The one thing they are good for is a guide:
Anyone you see in real life sporting the latest "do" no matter how unbecoming
tells you that this person doesn't have an original idea in their head.
They will think what the media tells them to think and follow the crowd.

(I don't know which is worse- the haircut with the front longer and the back shorter and
stacked or the "I just stuck my finger in a light socket" with multi chunks of color cut.)

JCFantasy23
September 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
What I always found ironic was the hair advice in these magazines (and books, and beauty anything) advising women on cutting hair, including makeovers, yet they splash up glossy ads of Victoria Secrets models with stunning, long, shining hair...

Medievalmaniac
September 6th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Omigod, I totally spit my coffee all over the computer screen laughing at your response, Chanterelle! :eek: Hilarious!

Medievalmaniac
September 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
What I always found ironic was the hair advice in these magazines (and books, and beauty anything) advising women on cutting hair, including makeovers, yet they splash up glossy ads of Victoria Secrets models with stunning, long, shining hair...

Amen to that, Sistah! It's like when you are Stateside, and you ago to the store at the beginning of January/end of the holiday season, and they have the Atkins Diet and Weight Watchers stuff out, right next to clearance holiday baking and Superbowl pig-out food. Hel- LO-O, mixed messages!! :rolleyes:

missfortune9335
September 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
eh, I actually like short hair a lot I've just decided I want long hair now :) and motly I think they do it in makeovers because it's more dramatic that way (same for the comments, it's more dramatic to say that someone has "liberated" themselves with a sassy new hair cut. there are also pleanty of celebs with long hair who get noted for their "sleek and glossy tresses" just makes it sound more exciting.

Lilli
September 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Who cares? Why take a tabloid article personally? If you like your hair, who cares what US Weekly or People says about it?

Amoretti
September 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
The funny thing is that this month's Glamour magazine here is FULL of long haired models and they even have several pages on how to do updos, etc. :D

Bellona
September 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM
If celebrities want to cut their hair, I think they should do it.

It would be very difficult to write a "makeover" article going from short to long...would take quite awhile :) I personally seem to grow, cut, grow, cut, etc. and I don't mind changes. I think long hair is the most beautiful, but there are some women who look very stunning in short hair!

misstwist
September 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
The funny thing is that this month's Glamour magazine here is FULL of long haired models and they even have several pages on how to do updos, etc. :D

Really? Are they any good? Do I need to get the mag?

thankyousir74
September 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think that apart from long hair, one of the things which unites most LHCers is a refusal to be told what we should do by other people, especially not empty headed journalists with empty pages to fill for a (mainly) empty headed audience.

Well put. I'm another that would just shake my head and say "so is life". I've never been one to live by the criticisms of tabloid reporters.

I feel that I decide what looks attractive on me, so I just feel bad for the people who can't make that decision for themselves.

silverspun
September 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
i kind of want people i see around town with long hair to chop it all off, just so i wont feel so bad having short hair... wicked.

KiwiLiz
September 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
i kind of want people i see around town with long hair to chop it all off, just so i wont feel so bad having short hair... wicked.

Lol. I have often thought this... not really about celebrities, but about people I know personally that have long hair... I kinda wish they'd cut it off so I would be 'she with the longest hair'. I'm evil, I know. I'd never try to coerce them into it though -like I was once by a long hair friend... she's since cut her hair short, now I AM she with the longest hair :P

Heavenly Locks
September 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Those magazines make me happy that I'm not famous and nobody gives a toot about what I do. :) Yay for freedom!

windinherhair
September 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Those magazines make me happy that I'm not famous and nobody gives a toot about what I do. :) Yay for freedom!

I can second that. :)

Also, those magazines just make me feel how fortunate I am that I don't have to go for hair extensions like many celebrities have done after they go for the chop. I'd rather buy a short haired wig (wait a second, I have already done that. LOL. :p )

kmouse43
September 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Frankly I feel sorry for all those women, who like sheep, follow those fashion trends. They blindly follow these without thought or question, because "Katie Holmes did it". They are missing out on one of the most natural, beautiful experiences in this world. Choosing instant gratification is no where near as satisfying as waiting patiently and nurturing your hair as it grows and seeing the reward! Not to mention feeling your hair on your back or arms and getting compliments on it's uniqueness. I prize being different and for me, my hair is a part of that.

Esperanza
September 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I prize being different and for me, my hair is a part of that.

Amen to that!:cheese:

hmmm
September 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I get equally irritated when they have articles glorifying long hair. Sometimes they go as far as to say that long haired women are more sexy and preferable to the male sex than short haired women, who of course, look masculine. Pshhhh.

Gigi1962
September 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM

:D True!!

But I think a lot of the problems have been that the celebs have ruined their natural hair by wearing extensions, so they now have to have "funky" new, short haircuts to allow their hair to recover.

Lilli
September 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I get equally irritated when they have articles glorifying long hair. Sometimes they go as far as to say that long haired women are more sexy and preferable to the male sex than short haired women, who of course, look masculine. Pshhhh.

Amen. It's all just boxing women in, and we do it to each other, which is even sadder.

WaimeaWahine
September 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Dear Lindsay Lohan,

Please don't ever let anyone talk you into cutting off your hair or hiding your freckles. Your hair is so cool.

Sincerely,

WW

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM
How do I respond? I roll my eyes and hide behind my 43" security blanket. ;)

Radulfr
September 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
As the borg would put it, tabloid celebrity makeover articles are irrelevant.

Why some people follow them or attach importance to them, I'll never know.