PDA

View Full Version : Why the split ends?

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Since i have been growing my hair out it has been wonderful until about 3 months ago. Since then i have had split ends and the white dots like crazy! I dont heat style at all. And have not changed anything for this to happen. Could my hair just be rebelling to no change or some thing? I dont get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spidermom
December 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Even with the best of care, daily handling and friction gradually breaks hair down little by little. One day you reach the point where the breakdown becomes visible, and it seems like something happened all at once. But no, since you haven't done anything known to be damaging, I imagine that what you see took a very long time to get to that state. Time for a trim perhaps. Or a long S&D session. Or put it up and forget it. There are many options.

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I just had a trim about a month ago and I cant stand to loose any more so it looks like i have to sit down with the scissors for an hour or two. Is there any moisture treatments that i can buy that will help? Thanks.

Teazel
December 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Nothing will repair the damage that has already occurred. Some products can disguise it a little, but they can't fix broken hair.

One very cheap :wink: moisture treatment is to dampen your ends and put them up in a bun all day - it's called damp bunning, you can do it day after day and it's very good for your hair.

Another popular LHC trick is Snowy's Moisture Treatment, aka SMT. Try it, if you haven't already! :)

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I will look that up now and try it. Thanks alot for the help

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Silicones caused this type of damage to my hair.

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Im guessing those are in shampoo or conditioner? I use the pantene pro-v ice shine. Is that bad? Sorry for all the questions but im lost on what to do.:confused:

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Pantene is the shampoo/conditioner that ruined my hair.

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I will try something different then maybe it is catching up to me and thats my problem.

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I would trim a little off, clarify, then try going cone-free. VO5 makes plenty of cone free products, or you could try Nature's Gate products if you have a health food store nearby.

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks girlcat36 you have been i big help. im hoping thats whats going on i will buy some vo5 tomarrow.

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
You're welcome! Good luck--your hair is beautiful!

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I just had a trim about a month ago and I cant stand to loose any more so it looks like i have to sit down with the scissors for an hour or two. Is there any moisture treatments that i can buy that will help? Thanks.

I just asked this very question dear littleredlx. Does an overall trimming expose the hair shafts more to split ends?

Does trimming the hair WET expose it more? Aaaaah.

Hugs!
WD :)

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Im guessing those are in shampoo or conditioner? I use the pantene pro-v ice shine. Is that bad? Sorry for all the questions but im lost on what to do.:confused:

Pantene = the devil

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I just asked this very question dear littleredlx. Does an overall trimming expose the hair shafts more to split ends?

Does trimming the hair WET expose it more? Aaaaah.

Hugs!

I always trim my hair dry, and I rarely get splits. Hhhmmmm....:rolleyes:

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I always trim my hair dry, and I rarely get splits. Hhhmmmm....:rolleyes:

I wonder if our dear littleredlx didn't have it trimmed for her WET.

:eye:

Alana2000
December 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but why is Pantene the Devil?

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Ya they always trim my hair wet. But i have been trying to find a better person to do my hair because i have been going to great clips and last 2 times i went i told them 1/4 inch and i came out 2 inches shorter!!:mad: Thanks you guys very much.

Speckla
December 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I hate to be the devil's advocate, but why is Pantene the Devil?

The conditioner has a lot of silicones that coats hair and can cause a lot of buildup and this requires a sulfate shampoo to remove them. Sulfates totally strip moisture and you need the conditioner to put them back. It's a never ending cycle. This can be very damaging to hair - dry hair - especially dry, curly/wavy hair.
________
Buy mflb (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
My hair doesnt seem dry on the underneath but on the top it does. And normally my hair is pretty wavy.

Speckla
December 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
The sun's rays can also slightly damage hair and your tops will be drier or lighter because they get the most direct sunlight. I always tended to add shampoo to the top of my hair and start to wash from there, I blowed dried starting with the top, or ran a comb/brush there first. That was the cause of a lot of the damage to my hair.
________
Chrysler Ad Platform Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_AD_platform)

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I never thought about the sun drying out the top. I am outside alot but i just bunned it up so it didnt get tangled up.

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Dear littleredlx,

I am as newbie to this stuff as anyone. I depended on a private stylist for TWENTY years who is the one that convinced me to grow my hair long. He said with its beautiful natural health, color, and subtle wave, it would be glorious at waist length or more. I listened and complied. He had total control over my hair and regimen, I used only the products he sold to me (Nexxus Therappe and Humectress) and as I understand it, he did everything right. Plus my hubby and he were buds, so they "conspired" to keep my tresses on the road to thigh which was reached over ten years ago.

Because I didn't know WHY he did what he did, unfortunately, once he was gone, I proceeded to fry my hair which had since gone into the greying mane to complicate matters.

Arrrggghhh.

Once the Pantene hit it, I was finished. :(

Today I realized that the damage was done, that, chopping it off didn't mean a thing since the hair was ruined anyway.

Taking good care now will save your length so you don't have to chop. And just trim the splits off, not the whole head at once. Eventually, you will recover it.

I think of it as conservatively "pruning".

No offense, but it has been a traumatic day for me, and I'm simply amazed at the diversity of opinion on these matters.

I love though, especially, the 2-week rule.

Love and Hugs!

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The sun's rays can also slightly damage hair and your tops will be drier or lighter because they get the most direct sunlight. I always tended to add shampoo to the top of my hair and start to wash from there, I blowed dried starting with the top, or ran a comb/brush there first. That was the cause of a lot of the damage to my hair.

ALWAYS wear a hat or scarf outside. Your hair as well as your scalp will fry. Melanoma on the scalp I believe is the number one cancer killer of all skin cancers. :(

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Windowdressing, thanks i will start scarfing up and get some hats for the summer. I will start with the splits and hopefully start preventing them buy a couple of changes i have learned from everyone. I cant stand to chop it all off and honestly i thing my boyfriend and grandma would go crazy if i did. Thanks again to everyone

MsBubbles
December 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Here is a very informative article by Nightshade (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79), on damage.

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thats a great thread thanks ms bubbles. The pictures sure a scary though it makes me want those splits out of my hair!! I sure hope noone looks at my hair through a microscope until i get it fixed.

Meli
December 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
There are lots of things that can cause splits, and while some products might be contributing to damage for some people, the same products can work wonders for others. You just have to experiment and see what works for your hair.

You might want to read this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) about preventing splits - perhaps you find something you can change to reduce splits in the future.

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Windowdressing, thanks i will start scarfing up and get some hats for the summer. I will start with the splits and hopefully start preventing them buy a couple of changes i have learned from everyone. I cant stand to chop it all off and honestly i thing my boyfriend and grandma would go crazy if i did. Thanks again to everyone

Good luck, and no need to chop. Hang in there! A little change at a time if need be.

Love and Hugs!

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Meli thanks for another great article!

Windowdressing, ya definently no chopping i think i will just have my grandma trim it every couple of weeks, she have knee length hair so she knows how much it means to have alot trimmed off.

WindowDressing
December 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Meli thanks for another great article!

Windowdressing, ya definently no chopping i think i will just have my grandma trim it every couple of weeks, she have knee length hair so she knows how much it means to have alot trimmed off.

Good job!! Good luck and let us know. Your hair looks lovely, dear littleredlx!

Hugs!

littleredlx
December 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Thank you i will keep everyone updated on how my hair is feeling with the changes

jastark84
December 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Try oiling your hair also. I had the absolute worst dot/splits after I trashed my hair by taking the color out and putting more back in. The only things that helped were actually getting the big chop (5 inches), oiling, and keeping my hair either braided or bunned. Another thing I did was switch to Conditioner only washings, and only clarifying once a month by only using it on the scalp.

jojo
December 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
my hair is only just BSL and like you I have suddenly started finding millions of splits, yet I treat my hair well. I have been using a deep conditioners from Boots 'Coconut oil and almond oil deep conditioner' which seems to be making my hair better. Also have you looked up the catnip posts, I used these for a while and it really helps with the splits, I need to get some more and start again with these.

ETA- olive oil on the very ends of my hair also helped prevent damage in the past for me too.

annys
December 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I also have a lot of split ends right now. Thanks for the suggestions for how to deal with them.