PDA

View Full Version : Starting over.

LuXious
December 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
In absolute white direct sunlight my hair was just too many different colors. It was driving me nuts. Ash brown here, red here, virgin at the roots, reddish brown there... So I finally did it. Went to my girl with a photo and she went right to it with a razor comb. So I had a "razor bob" for a couple days (a bob that's cut to be sort of whispy if you have the time and don't mind damaging it with a straightening iron, which I will not) and then I got out my own scissors, and over the course of two (or is it three?) weeks, I tweeked it and tweeked it until now it's an angled bob that comes to about an inch below my ear lobe and in the back is stacked. I was so happy with it until yesterday. I was going to maintain the shortness until my dad pulled up all these old photos yesterday on his computer. Now I want to grow it out again, but not too terribly long. APL seems to be my limit before I start feeling like I just have a lot of extra hair hanging around all over the place. Anyway, the point was to get rid of as much damage which was plentiful, henna and hendigo, and color variation as I could possibly stand to cut off. So it's done. I still like my short hair cut, but I really look forward to when it grows out again. Oh well. This time: no permanent color, no crazy layers, no bleaching. Simple simple simple. How long can I go without a professional trim? We'll see.

P.S.,
I give Sea Phoenix a little credit for unintentional inspriration. I'm glad to have gotten rid of all that damaged, discolored mess. Freedom! :cheese:

Kittybe
December 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I read this thread thinking that it sounds exactly like what I'm going through right now! Just last Thursday I chopped off all my layers. I went from almost APL to just below chin length. Like you, I had a lot of damage. More just from really badly cut layers than anything else. I figured I'd rather have short, healthy hair, than long, horrible hair. At first I really liked the short cut. But after only one week, I miss my long hair. But, like you, I wanted a fresh start and that's what I got. Now, I'm only going to go to the hairdresser for trims to get the last vestiges of layers gone. I'd like to get to about APL and then get some long layers cut in.

Do you have pics of your hair now? I'd love to see how your cut turned out.

wintersun99
December 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM

LuXious
December 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, despite how you may feel about your new length, or lack thereof, I'm happy for you both-- happy for the happy ending that lies ahead and the release of dead weight.

I cut again-- LAST TIME-- because I saw this part in the back at the bottom that just didn't belong. The shape wasn't right. Now I HAVE to leave it alone. Four months and I'll be pleased as punch with it. Now it's just tolerable but still better than carrying around all that sad damage.

As for pics, I'm out of batteries right now and my phone camera is not so great. I'll take a phone pic anyway and post it later. hubby's home now, though, and would think I'm rediculous.

Cheers, bold ladies!

papillon
December 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Congrats on starting over! Especially with non-damaged hair. The first time I grew my hair long, I kept my damaged ends - it was ok, but not great. I cut earlier this year and I'm starting to realize my hair has even more potential since the damage is gone. :)

LuXious
December 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Pics! Taken with the phone. A year from now I'll look back at these with relief.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/PELLYKATE/sidebob.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/PELLYKATE/frontbob.jpg

Kittybe
December 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Oh wow. I love it! It has a much better shape than mine does. My hairdresser just kinda cut up to the shortest layer but left it very blunt and heavy. It's not bad except that my hair tends to flip out at the ends and I really don't like that. But I also don't want to have to blow dry it so the ends curl under either, so I guess I have to live with it for now!

Ranee
December 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
You're very pretty! With your face shape you can get away with pretty much any hairstyle.

redtea
December 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
It looks really good! I love bobs. Before deciding to grow my hair out I almost always had a bob. I've never had much patience for damage or color variation either.

GlennaGirl
December 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I think that cut is simply adorable. Nice job. :thumbsup:

DecafJane
December 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
That looks cute!

LuXious
December 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Aw, shucks, y'all.

Thanks for the positive feedback. It helps to soften the blow of, uh... looking in the mirror.

Scrofula
December 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
No it really is cute! I'm trying to do the "appreciate my hair at every length" zen thing, and if mine looked like yours it would be sooooo much easier!