PDA

View Full Version : Question about wavy hair and frizzies:)

backtolonghair
March 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hey there everyone.. I'm new here and I have a question to ask you.. My hair is shoulder length right now and I wash it about every other day. I"m trying to go longer between washings but it seems to get really oily and greasy if I do. Also when I do wash it and condition it.. I let it air dry, but my hair comes out frizzy. :( Not sure why this happens. I usually have to use a ceramic flat iron to make it look good, otherwise it looks like carrot top. :D
Anyways... that's my dilemma.. I know that flat irons aren't good for you, so I put it on the lowest heat setting but I would rather a more natural approach, since I can see my ends are somewhat dry. I love this site and I"m so glad that there are other people on here, that want to take care of their hair and make it look the best they possibly can. It is really encouraging to me!:) I really want to get my hair long again. It was down to my waist at one point, but frustration and boredom came and I cut it so many different lengths throughout the years. Now it's time to go back to the basics. :)
Thanks for all of your help!

andrea1982
March 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi and Welcome! Are you using any sort of leave in product in your hair? Does the shampoo and conditioner you use have silicones in it? My hair texture sounds similar to yours, and when I use products with silicone (like pantene, tresseme, etc.) my hair dries almost straight and doesn't frizz. I like my hair wavier, so I'm not using silicones right now. It helps reduce frizz if I don't touch my hair at all until it's dry, and I use a leave in of a bit of coconut oil on the ends. I know that for me flat irons are extremely drying.. maybe you could try blow drying on a low setting to get the look you like? That may be gentler on your hair. Hope this helps!

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome! Do you shampoo all of your hair? I realise that it's quite short and that may be unavoidable, but try just to shampoo the scalp and condition all of it, which may aid in avoiding the frizziness. You could also try washing at night and sleeping on it. I find that this allows it to smooth down a bit and get a bit greasier, flattening the frizzies.

artemis
March 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
My hair got less frizzy as it got longer (maybe the weight pulled it down more?) It also got less frizzy and definitely less static-y when I stopped using shampoo and switched to CO (conditioner only). Also, I find that for me, if I braid or bun my hair while it is drying and then brush it out when it is almost dry, it doesn't get as frizzy. It also makes my hair straighter.

Faepirate
March 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi there! :)

I have very wavy hair and experience frizz sometimes - I find I get a lot more frizz when my hair is dried out. The answer for me has been oiling, oiling, oiling before a wash and deep conditioning after a wash. And the occasional clarifying rinse.

I also find that if I put my hair in a ponytail when it's damp then it helps to keep it a little bit more tame until it's dry enough to comb/brush.

I always found that flat irons are a bit counterproductive :( They may help with the frizz but at the same time they dry out and damage your hair so that the frizz becomes even worse in future. Boohoo.

What products are you using? If I use too much shampoo or too strong a shampoo then I get frizz. Got to be gentle with detergent and generous with moisture because - and I think this is right - wavy and curly hair is generally not as good at locking in moisture as straight hair... (is that true or did I make it up?!)

I did an SMT at the weekend and have never had such beautifully silky waves. So honestly, moisture does seem to be the answer for me. Since you mention your dry ends I imagine this might be true for you as well. Whenever they lack moisture, the strands just seem to misbehave!

I'm not convinced that my hair gets on with cones (silicones) - once in a while I get good results but if I use them regularly then they make the frizz worse.... judging from past experience. I haven't tried any cones recently. And I'm having good results right now with cone-free products so I'm going to continue like this for a while.

Anyway. Lots of factors that could be affecting the frizz. Try stuff out. :) Try things that will up the moisture content of your hair if you're finding it's dry. You might be surprised.

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
What products are you using? If I use too much shampoo or too strong a shampoo then I get frizz. Got to be gentle with detergent and generous with moisture because - and I think this is right - wavy and curly hair is generally not as good at locking in moisture as straight hair... (is that true or did I make it up?!)

Oils travel down a straight shaft more readily than down a wavier or curly one, ergo wavy and curly hair tends to be drier. So you were close ^_^

Chamomile betty
March 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Welcome, you got some wonderful advice.
I do like to work with mine when it's pretty wet or damp. When I work with dryer hair it tends to frizz more.

Have a water bottle on hand to mist down your hair at and keep it moisturized.

hth

Faepirate
March 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Oils travel down a straight shaft more readily than down a wavier or curly one, ergo wavy and curly hair tends to be drier. So you were close ^_^

OH okay. Thanks! Well, as long as I was nearly right ;)

missy60
March 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
One thing you can also try is when your hair is almost dry throw in a few really big rollers. That always smooths out the frizz for me when I want my hair straighter.

shellblue1
March 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
The other day I made a mix of shea butter, jojoba oil, and avocado oil. I melted the shea butter first and then mixed it into the oils in a little jar. After a bit the mixture hardened. Tonight I noticed my hair was especially frizzy on the back part. I scraped some of the shea mix with my fingernail and melted it onto my palms. I rubbed it over the back of my hair and then twisted my hair up in a clippie. When I released my hair it was frizz-free, shiny, and smooth!

marajade
March 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hi and Welcome! Are you using any sort of leave in product in your hair? Does the shampoo and conditioner you use have silicones in it? My hair texture sounds similar to yours, and when I use products with silicone (like pantene, tresseme, etc.) my hair dries almost straight and doesn't frizz. I like my hair wavier, so I'm not using silicones right now. It helps reduce frizz if I don't touch my hair at all until it's dry, and I use a leave in of a bit of coconut oil on the ends. I know that for me flat irons are extremely drying.. maybe you could try blow drying on a low setting to get the look you like? That may be gentler on your hair. Hope this helps!

Yeah, reducing frizz for me was a combination of avoiding cones, no touching, and oiling. Also, avoid shampoos with SLS as it is extremely drying! HTH!

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM
what i think is that the straightener is drying out your hair causeing the frizzies.
perhaps wash your hair at night and sleep on it, that takes care of my frizzies
or add a minute amount of coconut oil.
try braiding it damp and then finger combing
do you use a brush- that frizzes hair up too.

my 2 cents :)