PDA

View Full Version : Have you rubbed off on anyone you know?

morguebabe
December 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I work with a woman who is about 45, and she has 3a/3b hair. Its to her chin. She has thyroid problems and her hair is thinning.
Over the summer I would notice some days her curls were nice, and other days they were 'frizzy/not as curly'
I started to ask her things like "do you wash every day?" "Do you use shampoo?" Blah blah. I mentioned that Shampoo is bad sometimes for curls, and that alot of curlies have luck COing. or only use diluted poo once a week. I mentioned the CurlyGirl Book.
A few months later her curls are consistently more bouncy, and her looks fuller.
I asked her about it and she said she's now COing every other day, and she uses diluted once a week. :cheese::D:cheese::D Have your crazy against the norm hair ideas rubbed off on anyone else you know?

burns_erin
December 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Yep, my sister. She is hennaing, straightening much less, and curlygirling to an extent.

HairColoredHair
December 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
My mother... last time I checked she'd begun growing her hair out again and stopped dyeing in an attempt to embrace her (slight) gray.

florenonite
December 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah. My flatmate now CWCs her hair rather than S&C.

AJoifulNoise
December 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I dragged two friends to the LHC. Actually, they didn't put up much of a fight. One does all kinds of stuff to her hair that she never thought she would- buns, shampoo bars, CO, etc. Not to mention she now has a HUGE hair stick collection. *envy*

I try to give my dad suggestions (like ACV rinse for itchy scalp) but he thinks I'm strange. :lol:

amaiaisabella
December 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
My mom- she washes her hair less often, and sometimes does CO. It helps keep her color longer, and she has to dye less often :)

Magicknthenight
December 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Encouraged some friends to try different hair styles rather then a messy bun. Also my grandma. She had it about BSL length but cut it back to shoulder length to get the old dye off. When i asked her how long she was growing it she looked at me and said "as long as it will get" which is what i say :) so i guess her. i was starting to influence my sister but i haven't seen her in a while. i try not to talk about hair too much around people ;)

jivete
December 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
My cousin. She has really similar hair texture as I do. She's washing with shampoo less (about 1x per week) and mostly doing CO. Her hair is looking great too.

Ranee
December 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
My bestest friend! She now CO's once a week. Her hair defenitely looks fuller. Next mission: keep her from ripping a comb trough her hair.

Kitara
December 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I got my mom and a co-worker into CV bars (slowly but surely all will be converted ;))
My mom is now letting her gray grow out and is thinking about cassia.
My sis-in-law is flat-ironing her hair less, using oils, and is getting interested in henna/indigo.
All that after about 3 months of reading LHC.

Kirin
December 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
When someone tells me I have nice hair, I say thank you. I no longer discuss what i use on it, or how i treat it.

Because I have admirers of friends who show up at my house and want to use my henna, my oils, my shampoos.... but not buy their own. My henna stock is almost depleted. I guess I could have said no, but I'm just too nice sometimes.

Curlsgirl
December 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM
My Aveda stylist hee hee. She loves my hair and says she wishes hers was like it but I'm pretty sure she also thinks I am a little strange about it too. :o Several people have started growing their hair out they said because of me but they have usually given up pretty soon after. Oh and I have a couple of friends who I have given the curly girl book to that have completely transformed their curls!

Rain
December 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Just my daughter. She CO washes and almost never uses shampoo. She's growing her hair to the floor but she was influenced more by ElfQuest than by me. Oh well.

Unofficial_Rose
December 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well I cassia'd DS (13) on Thursday night. His APL hair came out so thick and shiny looking!

(He'd been wanting to try cassia for a while. So I mixed up a batch and we both put it on :D)

Hypnotica
December 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM
A year ago, my good friend mentioned to me that he had a very itchy scalp. I said to him that it could be sensitivity to SLS and then we started talking about how I care for my hair and stuff like that. I told that some people CO because of sensitive scalp/dry hair.

Some time ago, he told me that he tried CO and that he now doesn't have problems with his scalp anymore! :)

VanillaTresses
December 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Yes. I know 2 people (relatives) who are now growing their hair out and blowdrying less! :cheese: Yay for long healthy hair!

paper
December 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Yes! My DS22. He it trying to grow out his curly hair. He asked me what would be a good shampoo to use because his hair is frizzy. I gave him some tips I've learned here. He told me they have actually helped! :D

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
There is a young girl(17) who works with us, and constantly aking me for hair advice. For some reason she thought I knew about hair, and had hair 'secrets'; even though we work with another woman with TBL hair. I think she remembers when my hair would not grow, and can now see that it is growing.
Every Saturday when I work with her it's all hair talk--products, vitamins, brushes, etc.
She implements as many of these things as she can, on her budget.

On the other hand----there is DD20!
She has been frying her poor 2c/3a with a flat iron for the last six years. So sad. From a distance, her hair looks swingy and shiny; and she says she gets lots of compliments. Up close, every single strand ends in a split or a white dot, with more white dots going up the length. I cringe.
She was home over the weekend and after she left I found one of her hairs in the bathroom sink. Of course it was the split end that caught my eye first, and as I picked it up I saw another split a half inch up, and then halfway up the hair was a white dot thing just starting to shred. I wanted to cry.

Amara
December 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
There is a girl I work with who, for the first 6 months or so after she started working with me, wore her hair in a braided bun every day. I always wear different styles, and a few months ago she started appearing at work with some of the styles I wear, and some others, too! This may just be coincidence, but it seems suspicious. :D I don't actually work WITH her so I've never asked, but I do compliment occassionally.

bunnii
December 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
BFs mother sometimes COs she didn't think it would work, but it does and she likes it, i've not had proper credit for telling her though lol.

Elphie
December 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I've got a few co-workers trying different things that interest them. I kinda laugh, they seem to think I know something they don't! I wish one of my assistants would listen in, she has black waist length hair that you can tell she straightens. It has no shine and it resembles very straight doll hair. She's such a pretty girl, too.

Oh, Rain, having your daughter being influenced by ElfQuest isn't too terrible!
I've been a life long fan!

Silverlox
December 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I have completely converted (corrupted?) my cousin/God daughter. She has very fine, very curly hair that she wears short and bleaches highlights into. She used to wash, mousse and blowfry every morning and her poor curls were so dry and frizzy and looked like candy floss, just awful!

While she's still a shorthair and highlightens, she now does heavy oiling pre-wash, mostly CO's, using only diluted poo every once in a while. She no longer blowfries and she uses Aloe Vera gel instead of mousse. Her curls are gorgeous spirals with great definition and no frizz and she couldn't be happier with her "new" hair. She's definitely a convert! :D

The rest of my family just thinks I'm plain crazy.. :rolleyes:

Alana2000
December 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I have yet to influence anyone with my new passion for long hair, but you all have influenced me a great deal and I thank you all for that.

Arctic_Mama
December 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I've blabbed all over the internet about this site and gained a few converts, especially to oiling (bless it!) but in RL most people think I have nice hair to go with my generous helping of insanity :eyebrows:

Slowly but surely I will convert them! I don't go into my routine unless they ask what I do with it, but I do love those compliments!

SweetPea88
December 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My roommate! I informed her of cones and also got her using ACV rinses! :D

EvaSimone
December 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
My mom and my future MIL definitely.

My mom has me henna her hair every so often and she doesn't use sulfates or cones anymore.

My MIL loves learning about all of the stuff and tries them sometimes but she doesn't understand it as much.

Indigo Girl
December 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes! My mom has told the family that she wants a ficcare for Christmas. :bluesmile

Addy
December 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
My son has decided to grow long with me. <I did ask him a couple times> :D He's a CO'er and washes about once a week. He has so much hair. The last time he had a big cut was Aug 07 which was a high and tight. This is the first time he's had long hair. I've been trimming it here and there when he ask me. It's about shoulder length now with a few more layers to grow out.

I can't wait to see if he'll go classic with me! :cool:

Crazy Lady
December 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I've converted my best friend and my mother. My friend and I used to dye our hair crazy colors together, so I suppose we are just hair buddies. She is now treating her hair very nicely. My mother is growing her hair out, too, and is treating her hair a bit better. It was always pretty long, but is now reaching tailbone. She wants to grow out the layers so she can grow it even longer :D

Debra83
December 6th, 2008, 12:24 AM
My Aveda stylist hee hee. She loves my hair and says she wishes hers was like it but I'm pretty sure she also thinks I am a little strange about it too. :o Several people have started growing their hair out they said because of me but they have usually given up pretty soon after. Oh and I have a couple of friends who I have given the curly girl book to that have completely transformed their curls!
Please tell me what the curly girl book is and where to get it?

RedFrizz
December 6th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Yep, I've managed to convert a couple of my work colleagues from S&C and cones to shampoo bars, henna dye, CO etc. And it feels wonderful! It's nice to see the improvement in their hair and the joyfulness in them. Then there's the bunch of people who just keep rolling their eyes to our "freaky" methods and who swear in the name of Panthene etc. and their hair looks dull, thin and fragile. That makes the evil one inside me even more happy ;)

tsc
December 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM
The boyfriend. :D He's a shorthair but now takes much better care of it, CO's, and helps me S&D.

Sarahmoon
December 6th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Nope not yet. Actually I met someone in a chat box yesterday who frequently donates to locks of love... After trying to hold off for a while I found I had to show her the article that says they throw away a lot of the hair and such, she said "oh yeah... I know they have very strict regulations and don't use everything and stuff... but I still think it's worth it. And my hair grows fast anyway."
Oh well... at least she wasn't misled, she probably doesn't desire long hair herself, so I guess in this case it's her good choice :shrug:

morguebabe
December 6th, 2008, 05:00 AM
This is CurlyGirl (http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228564795&sr=1-1)

dearladydisdain
December 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I got my little sister to use some more natural shampoos and conditioners. Now I have my DBF requesting that I "juju" his hair (i.e. give him a scalp massage with jojoba oil :lol: ). He has a VERY flaky scalp which is not something I'm experienced in but I'm trying to do the research on it. I've been trying to drop hints that it is much better to use a tiny bit of shampoo and dilute it (he was all worried he was running out of shampoo so I told him how to stretch out his supply forever!)

zen_oven
December 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I've ALMOST convinced a friend to try oiling. I still haven't quite convinced her that she won't look like a greaseball. I'm also working on getting her to not shampoo as much, but she's still convinced her hair will always be gross if she doesn't. One of these days I'll talk her into it. :)

renarok
December 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I have several iinspired several coworkers to take the Nioxin vitamins that I take because of my fast hair growth, and much stronger nails.