PDA

View Full Version : Half-tails and English braids

Peter
December 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
It's kinda embarrassing to ask this because it seems so simple but I just can't seem to do a half-tail properly... I always end up with too little hair down (which looks pretty bad) or too little hair in the tail (which also looks bad). How should I separate my hair to do this? Also, my hair seems to love being parted on the side or down the middle and refuses to be combed straight back. Is this necessary for a half-tail or can I do one with a part?

I have a question about basic 3-strand braids too. I'm just learning how to do them now and can do it well if I make 2 separate ones (one on each side). But when I try to do one behind my head, I can't seem to hold on to the sections well near the end so the tassel is several inches long. I think this is because the strands at the front of my head are a few inches shorter than the ones at the back but I'm not sure. But anyway, it looks pretty wimpy with only 3-4 bumps and then a bunch of unbraided hair... will this come with practice or does my hair just need to be longer?

Cheers and TIA,
Peter

Speckla
December 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Just imagine a line stretch ear to ear in the back of your head and use that as your level to pull up from.

I think short English braids are adorable. There'll be more bumps as time goes on but enjoy what you have now and don't worry about it.
________
Pak suzuki motor specifications (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Pak_Suzuki_Motor)

Peter
December 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'll try that, thanks for the reply. :)

Elphie
December 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Sometimes I like the look of a half-up with a part, my hair doesn't always cooperate with my thinking though. If you think it looks good, I don't see why you can't. If you need a bit of help, you could try putting some aloe gel in your hair to see if it will give it a bit more hold.

birthmarkie
December 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I think you can do a half-up with a part, no big deal. Also, you can get away with a quite small tail and it still look fine. It might help to flip your head over and then flip it back right before you put it up. I admit I have trouble with half-ups too.

As for the 3-strand, it just takes practice and length helps, but I think the most important thing is to make sure that you have the same amount of hair in each of the strands. That is key. Sometimes a longer tassle is good because you get less of a taper. 3-4 bumps isn't puny, IMO. Oh, another thing that helps me is to put my hair in a ponytail and then braid it. It gives a nice solid base and a more even braid. You can then leave the ponytail hairband in or take it out.

Anje
December 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
More length will help your english braids, though you'll find they also stick together better if you have your hair oiled. (Of course, then you have an oily tassel, but if you wrap it around your finger, it'll just look stuck together and a little curled.) Once you have a little more length, after you've braided a few bumps you might want to hold the braid tightly and bring it over your shoulder, or lean forward and fold it over your head, then keep braiding. That'll help you shorten the tail, too.

Curlsgirl
December 5th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I also think that a parted half-up is fine whatever is easier! Sometimes I take a comb and part at about the top of my ear on one side and just take my finger and part upward toward the crown and the same on the other side. Take your time with this. Sometimes I have to do it over several times to get the right amount of hair. In an English braid I agree getting the sections even is key especially with thinner ends. I bring mine above my head instead of leaning over and that works better for me. I cannot bring it back over my shoulder and get it straight without twisting the whole thing. When I bend over to finish it, it seems to want to pull a few hairs at the scalp and hurt all day.

Silverlox
December 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Don't worry. Nothing is so simple that a lot of us didn't struggle with it at first! :)

My hair also wants to part, but I don't mind. In some updo's it even looks better than the straight back thing. You work with what you've got. Trying to fight it never ends well. :twocents:

Speckla
December 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Here's mine in an English braid. A girl at work braided it for me. I think it'd be better on slightly damp, gelled hair but what the hey, it's held all day. Ignore the frizz and stray curls.

There's 3ish bumps. But they're there.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1386/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_0914-vi.jpg
________
Buy portable vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

Peter
December 5th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, so many great suggestions. Thanks for the help everyone!