PDA

View Full Version : This is totally depressing...

girlcat36
December 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
December 2008
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/december2008hair.jpg
December 2007
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010016.jpg

This just depresses me. Why do I bother? :confused::(
These pictures were taken one year apart, and looks like little to no improvement. I hate the idea of cutting my hair, but what I have looks ridiculous with the thin ends. I could cut it to shoulder length, then every thing would be one length, but I.hate.to.lose.length.
It takes so long for my hair to grow, and I just want to see if it will even make it to BSL. I might as well have been starting out completely bald instead of half-bald as I was(due to radiation treatment to the back of my head), because it will have to be cut back anyway to the newly growing in underlayer.
If I cut it to shoulder length, I will be a big mushroom head.
Aargh! What would you do?
Two rants in one night from Girlcat! And I don't even have PMS; maybe my thyroid levels need to be checked again!:rolleyes:

AJoifulNoise
December 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think your hair looks thicker in the new picture, actually.

Schmoomunitions
December 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I would take your ringlets over my straight hair anyday!!!!! I love ringlets!!!!

Shorty89
December 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I think you have hair dysmorphia. I can see an improvement in your hair in the pictures! I would just try to ignore your hair (as hard as it may be) and it'll improve. Maybe you should micro-trim the ends to slowly thicken the hemline up?

girlcat36
December 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I think your hair looks thicker in the new picture, actually.

Well, that is true. My ponytail went from just under 2" in August 2007 to 3" currently. Maybe the new thicknes just accentuates the thinness at the ends. So I am thinking about cutting it, and the thought just hurts.

eaglefeather71
December 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I think your hair looks 100% better! Its thicker, and healthier!

girlcat36
December 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I think you have hair dysmorphia. I can see an improvement in your hair in the pictures! I would just try to ignore your hair (as hard as it may be) and it'll improve. Maybe you should micro-trim the ends to slowly thicken the hemline up?

I have been microtrimming all along. I thought the ends might make good fairytale ends once I finally gained some length, but now I am not so sure.

sherigayle
December 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
You've made so much progress in volume. I can see why you are frustrated though. You've come so far, it would be a shame to cut it now. Your beautiful curls draw attention away from the thinner ends. Try not to be so hard on yourself, hon. You'll get there!

SchnauzerMom
December 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I see quite a bit of improvement. Your hair looks longer and thicker in the 2008 photo!

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I understand how frustrating it must be, but I do see improvement, and the ringlets are pretty. I wouldn't cut it back just yet. Wear it up in sort of a casual french twist kind of thing with the curls spilling out and be patient. Let that under-layer get to a length where you won't get the dreaded mushroom head.

DaveDecker
December 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Please don't despair.

There's a woman at the office where I work, with hair almost exactly like yours, and IMHO it looks completely angelic :wannabe: and totally dreamy. :cloud9:

Speckla
December 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
You can see the difference in thickness from just a year ago. Your ends aren't really thin so much as the curls are tighter. Just be patient. It takes curly hair more time to show the length that's gained.

I bet the hair along your neck curls more and pulls up more than the rest and that will take away from the thickness of your ends.
________
Buy vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

Addy
December 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think your hair is beautiful! Your hair has come a loooong way in this past year.

sneakybea
December 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
It definitely looks thicker now. Think about it this way; if your diameter increased from two inches to three, that's half again as thick as it was before---a huge improvement! And I love your curls!

lawyermom
December 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I agree with those above who've said they see a big difference. I see a huge difference! No, not in length - but the thickness! It's worlds apart between the 2 pictures.

justgreen
December 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
oooooo don't cut it! I love your curls and ringlets and I can see how much thicker this years pic looks! You said yourself you've been micro trimming....so that's why YOU don't see an increase. I second Dave Decker...dreamy hair!

RavennaNight
December 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I must concur with everyone else here. Ok, so maybe not lengthwise, but the thickness has improved greatly! I'd give it a chance to grow, if I were you. Seriously it sounds like you've really come a long way with your health as well as your hair. A lot of folks here will be happy to tell you QUALITY over quantity! It looks beautiful! :)

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I agree with the others I think you have come a long way, ok so the bottom bit measures a little less but that could be down to factors such as air drying it a little different, I know if I bun mine damp it measures thinner, also the patch you are growing back at the nape of your neck has grown so much that it will make your hair look thicker at shoulder length, it is thicker there because you have grown from nothing there to shoulder.

I know you have had frustrations with your hair and it seems to you to be growing slower but your curls really are so envious and curls will always take longer to gain length, just look at all the curly long hairs on here I bet they went through similar frustrations. Your hair is so beautiful please don't cut it off, tie it up and ignore it, keep on growing lots of people pay good money for your curls. xxx

Lamb
December 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You've got to be kidding, your hair looks much, much thicker in the 2008 picture! :eye: Look at the line at just below your shoulders. All your new growth and thickness has travelled down there by now, you had much less hair at that line in the 2007 photo.

PurpleAshes
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I think your hair look beautiful. Don't cut it =(

Sammybunny711
December 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
WOW, though! Your hair looks SOOOOO much thicker in the newest pic! There is an incredible difference in your hair! Sure, the length didn't get that much longer but the condition of your hair is noticeably better. MUCH better in fact!

Elphie
December 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
If you could see your hair through other people's eyes you would certainly see the difference. You have had a great amount of growth and a visible increase in volume! I'm sure it's frustrating not to see such an increase in length but there is no doubt that you've had a dramatic improvement over the past year.

Angellen
December 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I was getting so confused because I read the dates backwards. But now that I see them properly...

What an improvement! Your hair's certainly much, much thicker and looks pretty happy to me. It's been a year, but your hair is still recovering, and the progress you've made is very visible. Length wise you haven't gained as much, it's true, but it's much harder to tell for curlies, since the curl tends to swallow a lot of length. I DO see growth though, and the new growth is certainly catching up.

I agree with spidermom, put it up in a twist or something and let it be. I love demi-french twists with curly hair. They're so gorgeous.

I hope you feel a bit better, frustration like this is no fun. :(

chrissy-b
December 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Your hair is SO much thicker than it was last year. It is so beautiful and looks so much more healthy.

What I think is happening is the thicker it gets, the less you can tell a difference in length. The same thing happens with my sister's hair. Her hair is very thick and curly and it never looks like it gets any longer, though it does. It poofs out and curls more and more the longer it gets.

You are measuring your hair? You are noticing growth that way? If so, I would just chalk it up to the fact that your hair is so curly that it may take a long time for it to look as long as it actually is.

You have come so far, and your hair is very lovely. I would hate to see you cut it. I remember your first photos and how thin it used to be and while it isn't showing much length difference, it sure is beautiful. Don't give up. If long hair is truly what you want, you'll get there.

EdG
December 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
You have very nice hair, girlcat. I agree with all the other posters. :agree:
Ed

girlcat36
December 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded here! Such wonderful comments, and not one person has said I should cut it.
I guess I should look at some of the milestones I have had recently, such as the new layer getting to shoulder length. And being able to finally get all my hair into an updo!
Lamb--you are right, the new thickness is totally obvious. I was just obsessing over the length.
I was totally set tonite to chop it all to one layer, but once again you all have saved my hair from the scissors! I'm just having a bad night, and really think my thyroid meds are off or something.
Thank you all---you're the best!:crush:

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe that's because you bring out the best in us.

Speckla
December 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded here! Such wonderful comments, and not one person has said I should cut it.
I guess I should look at some of the milestones I have had recently, such as the new layer getting to shoulder length. And being able to finally get all my hair into an updo!
Lamb--you are right, the new thickness is totally obvious. I was just obsessing over the length.
I was totally set tonite to chop it all to one layer, but once again you all have saved my hair from the scissors! I'm just having a bad night, and really think my thyroid meds are off or something.
Thank you all---you're the best!:crush:

One layer? No no....trianglehead mean anything to you? :p

I was having issues with my hormones and my hair was thinning terribly and breaking off. I know the stress of losing hair and freaking out while it's growing back. Yours looks great.
________
DAIHATSU SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Daihatsu)

MermaidGirl
December 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have been microtrimming all along. I thought the ends might make good fairytale ends once I finally gained some length, but now I am not so sure.

Your ends are, IMHO, PERFECT for fairytale ends! In fact, as far as I'm concerned, your ends are the only type of ends that look good fairytaled (<--- I know, that's not really a word).

You have not gained a lot of length, but that is most likely due to the curl and the trimming. You have, however, made huge gains in thickness. I think your hair looks wonderful, and please give it credit for really coming back in a great way. Your length will get there! In the meantime, put it up and forget about it. With those curls, it will look very elegant.

carloota
December 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I agree with the opinions expressed in this thread. Your hair looks MUCH thicker and healthier in the most recent picture. :)

Teazel
December 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Butbutbut - your hair looks so much better! Say you've had 6 inches of growth in the last year: that's totally noticeable as the thickness has swelled so much.

Your ends may be thinner than the rest, but because of your delicious curls they look fine. Better than fine, in fact! So don't be discouraged. You've made a lot of progress and you're beautiful. :flowers:

Áine
December 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
You have made an immense amount of progress in one year, Girlcat.

Just look at the difference in thickness alone. You made a 50% increase! I know it might seem like a long way off, but in 8 - 12 months time, the see-through ends will be a distant memory if you continue on with that speed and maintain the length. I see people everyday who have never had radiation therapy with ends like this and it looks just fine to me. Yes, it is thin at the ends, but most people looking at it don't know you, and will not think anything is out of the ordinary.

By your own admission in the Monistat thread, you said that your doctor did not expect you to even have hair growth for many months, and you were sprouting new growth right away, and with noticeable progress too.

You ought to give yourself a pat on the back for toughing it out and hanging in there. Give your hair some credit. As I see it now, your curls are beautiful, your growth is magnificent, and at the end of next year you will do a victory lap when your hair finally balances out.

I say, don't cut now.

zen_oven
December 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
It looks like there's been some improvement to me. Definitely some thickening. I'm sorry you are frustrated though. Hang in there!

Demetrue
December 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Your hair looks much thicker now! And those curls will make gorgeous fairy tale ends. Don't give up now - start wearing it up more often and eventually those shorter layers will grow longer and fill in even more.

Deborah
December 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Your hair looks much nicer and much healthier. If you can get it up in a bun now, wear it that way often. I think it will look great on you. Curly hair seems easier to bun than straight. Any stray ends will just be cute little ringlets. On me, stray hairs, depending on my hair's mood, can look like hay sticking out - downright scary.

I don't think you should do any trimming (except for bad ends) until BSL. This is really unusual advice from me; I usually advocate cutting off thinner ends. But with your particular hair, if you cut more than about an inch off right now, you will end up with pyramid head. (Think Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna.) Once it's longer, you can trim to even it up and it will still fall gracefully down your back, but I don't think you should do that for quite a while.

Tangles
December 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Girlcat--Sometimes curly hair shows thickness before it shows length. Does that makes sense? My hair is only wavy, but sometimes I feel like it likes to gain thickness after a big shed, before I start seeing further growth. Also, you do have very "boing-y" hair, if stretched it would probably be quite long!

You ARE closer to your goal. I promise.

EvaSimone
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I see a lot of improvement between the pictures. The condition is so much better, it's shiny and soft looking. Also the length is definitely thicker although not as thick as you want it to be.

Honestly though with all of the things you have had done to you in the last few years, surgeries etc. your hair is going to take a back seat to growing super fast because your body is trying to heal from all of the trauma it has had done to it.

I really do see results and I think your hair looks lovely. If you want to cut it, then wait two weeks. I really think a two inch trim would make a huge difference. I personally wouldn't cut to SL I think it would give you a triangle head.

jesamyn
December 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I want to echo Tangles. I have wavy hair also, and after a big move, it decided to have a big shed and then start putting in thickness instead of length. Your hair is very noticably thicker in the newer picture. I totally understand the frustration, but I think your hair is making progress and looking great.

Tangles
December 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Oh, and an inch trim could lift your spirits, I think, if it is really the ends that are bothering you more than anything else... for some people trimming really increases growth rate anyway. Something to think about... what's your priority, right now, hem or length?

Michou
December 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I have to agree with so many of the other posters, I do see a real improvement. Your hair now looks thicker and healthier. The volume will catch up with the ends in time!

Solitude
December 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Definitely looks thicker now to me than a year ago. And if you don't believe the pictures, you have the evidence of an extra inch in ponytail thickness!

Aisha25
December 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Your hair looks beautiful it just takes a time you to grow and pretty soon you will have what you want. My hair grows i dont know slow I guess but who cares by the time im old lady they will be my dream length forever hopefully;)

Darkhorse1
December 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hey! I notice a huge difference! Much fuller! I know a few friends I have with hair as curly as yours have trouble getting 'thick' ends. It's due to the spiral nature. Don't get discouraged. Honestly, it looks REALLY good! :)

Redheaded Raven
December 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Your hair looks so much thicker! You have hair like my mom's the longer that it gets the "shorter" that it gets. She is gaining so much more curl that it "seems" so much shorter than it is. It is just growing thicker just don't be discouraged.:)

MountainGypsy
December 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I am happy you decided not to cut Girlcat, your hair really looks lovely!

Nevermore
December 4th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Your hair is tremendously thicker now and is really gorgeous. The ends are cute and would look good in a peacock twist or similar. I second what others have said, grow it out a bit farther and keep trimming in small increments until that has evened everything up or you're past the mushroom head stage.

Ryanne
December 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Your hair looks much thicker to me now, it looks more healthy too.

DecafJane
December 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
To my eyes it looks like you have had a lot of improvement, as the others have said. Hang in there - I can't wait to see what your hair looks like this time next year! :)

ole gray mare
December 5th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I feel your pain because I'm going through it also, after my HUGE post partum shed (like 25 - 30&#37; of my hair lost in six weeks in 2006.) My hair grows slowly and it feels like it's getting nowhere. So I relate to what you say. However, I do see a really huge improvement in thickness and condition of your hair. Hang in there, Little Sis! :flower:

Debra83
December 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
DON"T GIVE UP!!! Just think how much further ahead you are now, than you would be if you cut! Please take it from an impulsive cutter in the past who has now learned her lesson...DON'T DO IT!!! At least, tell yourself that if you don't like your ends when they are past your knees (or wherever your goal is) THEN you can cut them..but not till then!!! Good Luck!

WavyGirl
December 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I can see a huge improvement in quality too. Your curls are so cute. If you had started from bald I bet you'd be doing a happy dance saying "Look how much growth I got!" It looks like over six inches to me. Sometimes I think that starting with long pre-LHC hair can make the whole growing out process feel much slower. In your case it's about 2 years to get the post-LHC hair to your starting length. But most of us want the new longer lengths from day 1. Don't despair, you're more than halfway there and then the rest will be new lengths all the way.

Whatever you decide reaching your goal is going to take the same length of time. From your picture I'd guess about a year (maybe less now) to get all of the thickness to your current length and then another year to reach the longer goal with all the thickness. You have to decide whether you'd prefer to reach the length goal twice - once with thinner ends and again as the length catches up - or if you'd prefer to trim now and wait for the volume before going for length.

If it were me I'd trim a bit now and regularly over the coming year to maintain the length you have and start growing for length again next year. Like a couple of others have said an inch or two would make a huge difference. Those leaders will still be longer but there won't be such a big difference and they'll probably curl up to meet the rest. That's what's happened with mine anyway. So it'll look thicker even though it's not all one length.

Either way you've had great growth this year - you're obviously doing something right.

jera
December 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I definitely see improvement in the recent pic. Your ends are thicker and they are longer too. I love your sprirals. They frame your face so well. :)

Katze
December 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
What they said. :)

No seriously, the improvement in thickness is dramatic. I would just keep doing what you are doing (waitaminute, I AM doing what you're doing, with similar results...) and letting it grow and taking care of it. There seem to be some of us who have to work harder to get hair we're happy with, and at least in your case you have an excuse (radiation). I look forward to the day that people stop telling me my ends are thin!

Your curls are beautiful, many of us would love to have such ringlets, and they do eat up a lot of length.

Feel free to PM me if you want to rant more - I know exactly how you feel about a seeming lack of length or progress. Just remember, your hair HAS grown, and compared to the real world (rather than to the goddesses and gods of hair here) we have both had progress.

:flower:

Katze

30isthenewblack
December 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I'm glad that you decided not to cut your hair GirlCat. I have monitored your progress since I joined the board in May and like many of the others on the BSL to Waist thread, you have been trimming your hair regularly. However, what you have sacrificed in length, you have gained in thickness. I can understand your frustration. Like you, I tried to grow my hair for over ten years and it's only until I came to this board, that I began to see some progress. Unfortunately with curly hair, you can't always see the progress you are making. Hang in there :smile:

HeatherMae
December 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I am another one who thinks that your hair looks MUCH MUCH thicker now! I see a big difference in the two pictures. I think that you have come a long way and I am happy for you. I say don't cut it. :)

P.S. Your curls are very very pretty! I have always envied them, or at least since I first saw them anyway.

Calista
December 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I think your hair is very beautiful, and it suits you well. I also see dramatic improvement in thickness. Many members here would gladly give some of their length in return for more thickness. Also, in the second picture (the one that was taken a year ago) your curl formation is different, making it appear longer, I think.

The most important thing is: you have hair. The second most important: you have healthy, beautiful hair. The length will come, though it may take yome time. Hang in there!

winter_star
December 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I can see major improvement in the last year. Your hair is 100 times thicker, looks longer and a lot more healthier. I can understand how it can be very frustrating, but you really have made some good progress.

Honey39
December 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Major improvement! Please leave your hair, it's so pretty, I think it's adorable.

Sarahmoon
December 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Don't be depressed. Your hair looks thicker and healthier now :flowers:

morguebabe
December 5th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I can see total improvement in thickness.

If you want to clean up the ends and trim them, thats fine, I think the bulk of the hair is much thicker now. It looks great.

2luvmycurls
December 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I've always admired your hair and your determination. Anyone who can beat cancer has got to have a lot of determination. I also see a huge difference in thickness, especially at the top half. Even though it may be thinner than you'd like, I like how you can actually see the individual cute corkscrews at the end -- instead of a huge mass of curls. Oh, and I think you'll have wonderufl fairy tale ends when it eventially gets to your goal length. Have patience and you'll get there :)

mimi1153
December 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Your hair has definitely thickened up on the ends. I think it looks good with the curls. I agree with the trimming and let it thicken up some more.

Phoenix06
December 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I think it def looks thicker and the tendrils looks sweet!

burns_erin
December 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Just adding my :twocents: I think it looks nice. Heck, my sister gets her hair cut to create the same effect. I'd say leave it at least till you can cut and not get the dreaded mushroom head, and i would only suggest cutting then if you still feel badly about the ends, because best i can see it will still look good.

LuXious
December 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
What?! For real? I think it looks GRRREAT! It's much thicker, tamer, and healthier-looking. MUCH improvement. It's beautiful! Are you serious?! Depressing?! WHAT???? Lovely ringlets, healthy-looking texture, rich color, that little swirl in the back of your head isn't there... I would be darn proud of that progress. DARN proud. :D

LuXious
December 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Okay, i just went back and looked at the picture again after posting my reply and OH MY GOSH! Your hair looks so good now. So much better. I just had to tell you again, because I can't believe you're not happy with it. And I, too, love the individual ringlet thing happening at the bottom. It looks like you went and had someone do that for you. It's an effect, you know? Very individualistic, intentional-looking, interesting, and polished. You better love it. Right now.

LutraLutra
December 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Flippin' heck! You've made so much progress in a year, your hair looks so much thicker, that's amazing. You must have really looked after your hair, and yourself to get such great, thicker growth. Honestly, your hair is beautiful. :blossom:

lapushka
December 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It does look *much* thicker. Maybe there's a lot of short hairs, or tiny layers in your hair that have been catching up all year. Vast improvement!!! Think of it this way, that this is the first hurdle, now all you have to do is to go on growing... It's beautiful, and look at how many people feel the same way and see the same thing.

I was an impulsive cutter too, and please don't cut right before the holidays, that's really a time where you want change and it will come back to bite you on the ***.

In the end, it's your hair... it would be a darn shame if you cut, though!

girlcat36
December 5th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Thank you all for posting! :flowers:
I guess I can live with this hair a while longer. I was having a bad day yesterday, and then was rather shocked to see my hair looking so much the same after one year. I have gotten over it, though, and am feeling better now.
But you all are right---there is a huge difference in thickness, and I am happy with that! It doesn't look so bad in a half-up, either. It looks longer in a half-up for some reason.
I will continue to just put it up and forget about it!

And stop comparing myself to the long hair goddesses(and gods) of LHC!:)

LaurelSpring
December 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I love your fairytale ringlets. I say let it be.

Johanna64
December 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Your beautiful curls look so thick and healthy now!

lora410
December 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
You hair is much thicker and your curls are more defined. Don't forget you body is still recovering from you cancer, so it may take some time to notice huge changes. I think you have very beautiful curls though.

AutumnLeaves
December 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I also think your hair looks thicker in the 2008 pic, sweetie. And the curl is to die for! You actually have spirally ringlets naturally! I get bends and kinks!

zift
December 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Whoa I agree with others about the improvement, your hair looks very much thicker on the 2008 picture. I think it's very beautiful and the thinner ends give it a softer look, I say no need to cut at all if it's feeling healthy. Seems like if you trim little by little the bulk will catch the length in about a year:)

DavidN
December 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Please don't try to get discouraged, Girlcat36, and you have the most beautifully spirally ringlets. Just remember how much increased thickness you have in your ponytail, which means your hair IS thicker. Just hang in there, all of us are here for you.:grouphug:

mellie
December 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
You are so beautiful (inside and out!) and your hair is looking wonderfully thick and gorgeously curly!! Don't change a thing!! :-)

MusingFrog
December 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I see a ton of improvement between the two pictures. The big one is that your hair is obviously thicker. Additionally, even though I know you said it is thin at the ends, I personally think the way it looks is really nice. It certainly doesn't look thick at the ends, but you seem to have the same amount of space between each long part. It looks like it was done on purpose and I think it looks way better they way it is than cutting it would.

NightingaleLHC
December 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I haven't read through the 8 pages on replies, but just looking at the pics in your first post, your hair has definitely changed. It looks much thicker now. I know how frustrating it is to not be where you want to be. But cutting is not going to change that. The progress is visible, even if it's slower than you'd like. You have very pretty hair, just hang in there.

MadHatter
December 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I see a very marked improvement between the two pictures, myself. Hang in there!

Indigo Girl
December 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I see a remarkable difference as well; you've achieved a good deal of thickness. Very nice progress. :bluesmile

I think your hair looks wonderful. :flower:

Tangles
December 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Also, in the second picture (the one that was taken a year ago) your curl formation is different, making it appear longer, I think.

Yes, this is what I was thinking too, in the old picture the thinness actually gives an illusion of length, in such a way that the increased thickness you have now seems to mask your progress. But obviously such an effect shouldn't last very long because the thickness has finally caught up.

longhairedfairy
December 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
girlcat, things always look a lot worse to us than they do to others. I see a significant difference in thickness. There is a lot of growth there. It is filling in. The shorter hairs have grown several inches. I can see it quite clearly.
In the older photo I can see your neck through your hair. In the newer photo I can't see anything through it.

ETA: After looking more closely I can safely say that it is a freaking HUGE difference.

Beloved
December 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Wow, that's a huge difference ! Your hair looks much thicker. You should be really pleased with yourself, girlcat.

I understand how you feel about the thin ends, as I am recovering from a bout of hairloss myself. I got a small trim and was surpised by what a difference it made.

I suggest trying a trim of 1-2 inches and see how it looks then. There is no need to go cutting all the thin area at once.

RedFrizz
December 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I'm so happy for you that you decided not to cut, because whatever you've been doing this past year it's clearly working for you; you have tons of more volume, thickness, shine and body in your hair. It now looks simply healthy and vibrant compared the last year's photo. So keep up the good work, you'll get where ever you desire with just sticking to your hair caring :)