PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and helmets - looking for solutions

kimberlily
December 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I just bought a bike and I love riding it. But I don't love my helmet with long hair. Of course, I have to wear it, but I don't know what to do about the hair! I've tried a single braid down my back, but I get nape tangles. I've tried two braids (one behind each ear) but they catch on the zipper of my jacket.

I'm thinking about getting (or preferably making) a pony scrub, but I'm not sure how well it will work with a bike helmet.

Any feedback/solutions/suggestions/personal experiences would be much appreciated!

rockkcor
December 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Tie bandana over your head and put helmet on afterwards
Bride your hair and fold it (in the case it is getting too long) and tie it… Preferably wear your hair under your jacket…

Curlsgirl
December 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
There are also helmet liners that are very soft you can use. I should bother with them but I don't. I make a single braid down my back and tuck it inside my shirt or jacket. Sometimes I double it up but it is not as comfortable. Maybe you could put a satin or velvet scrunchie at the top of the braid to help with tangles at the nape.

kimberlily
December 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
rockkcor, that's what I've been doing, and it helps with keeping my hair smooth at the top, but it is the length that I have issues with.

curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about tucking my braid down my shirt, but I think it might get itchy...

Islandgrrl
December 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
kimberlily, I do a lot of biking and my solution has been to wear a buff under my helmet. I braid my hair, then pull the buff over like a scarf and put the helmet on over that. Since my braid sticks out the bottom of the buff, I put a scrunchie or hair elastic around the bottom of the buff to close it, keeping the whole braid tucked inside. The buff totally prevents tangles, as well as any friction of braid against back. Extra added bonus - it wicks moisture away so I don't have sweat dripping down my face.

Periwinkle
December 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
In the articles section, there's instructions for getting long hair under a wigh. Would the same method work for helmets?

twilight_faerie
December 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about tucking my braid down my shirt, but I think it might get itchy...

I've done that before, and it does get itchy. You might try wearing two shirts (you know, layers) and just tuck your braid under the top shirt so that it doesn't touch your skin.

Curlsgirl
December 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM
rockkcor, that's what I've been doing, and it helps with keeping my hair smooth at the top, but it is the length that I have issues with.

I've done that before, and it does get itchy. You might try wearing two shirts (you know, layers) and just tuck your braid under the top shirt so that it doesn't touch your skin.

Actually I usually do have a thinner shirt and a jacket depending on the weather so I tuck it between those. BUT rather than having it exposed to the elements in a pinch I do tuck it under my shirt. I haven't had much itching from it myself. :shrug:

CountessDeJager
December 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I remember one of the first things I learned about our member Bikerbraid was that she put her two braids through the slits in the helmet when biking. I think. She's gonna hit me if I'm remembering that wrong though. :silly:

kimberlily
December 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Countess, that's a neat suggestion, but my helmet has lots of small vents. Unless I did a Medusa thing, but that would take too long :silly:

Alyss
December 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
How do you normally wear your hair? When I wear helmets (I don't think my hair is nearly as long as yours) I just do a straight braid down the back. You said the problem with two braids was that they got caught in your jacket. Have you tried rubberbanding the two braids together in the back? You could either just tie them together or actually braid them together at some point down the braid. It looks kinda cool and will keep the braids back there instead of coming down your front.
I tuck my braid/braids in between my shirts (or just don't pull them out from under my jacket) all the time to keep them out of the weather.
-Alyss

Silver Grace
December 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I do a lot of cycling and motorcycling and my hair solution is one I picked up from these boards: I braid my hair then put the braid into a (clean!!) knee-high stocking and put a hair elastic onto the top (like a pony tail) and the helmet goes on over the top. When I stop, I just whip off the stocking and I'm left with a nice, neat braid that can then be either left hanging or pinned up.

The stocking idea might not win any prizes for elegance, but it works like a charm and completely prevents any tangles!

Anje
December 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Search for ponyscrubs on Etsy. There are a number of sellers who make them, and it sounds like an excellent solution for biking.

I tend to bike in a single braid, but it likes to fall off my back and over my shoulder (my bike leans me forward a lot, especially when I go onto the drops). I like the ponyscrub idea myself and might get one.

missmanytoes
December 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
This was a big dilemma for me because I've gotten to where I almost exclusively wear sticks...and sticks most definitely don't fit under a motorcycle helmet! Anyway when I don't want to mess with braids or low ponys I have worn this (http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/missmanytoes/pocketbonnet.png). It works better for me than a buff because it really keeps the hair from tangling, but it can slip if you take the helmet on and off. With a bicycle helmet this may not be as much of an issue (I wear a full face helmet). And if I haven't lost my stick I can quickly toss my hair up because the bonnet kept it neat. When I wear a low pony it is secured with about a zillion ponytail holders - about 1 holder every 2-3 inches. I find it keeps the hair more secure than a braid. (fewer sticky outie hairs) With either a braid or the low pony I always tuck the hair into the jacket. I've found braids and low ponys are more convenient if you are going to be taking the helmet on and off several times over a short period of time. The bonnet is ideal for longer trips or for when you might want your hair down when you arrive somewhere.

Stacy_E
December 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I do this style when I wear a rock climbing helmet:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=68

bjt
December 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Missmanytoes--I couldn't get your link to work--can you type it out for me?

I ride a motorcycle with a 3/4 helmet and a brain bucket--with both I just use a single tight braid down my back. Its the only thing I've ever found that works. If the braid is tight enough I don't get the tangles you describe.
I don't use a bicycle helmet so I'm not sure if there is a difference with those helmets that would interfere with a braid. The sock idea is an interesting idea!

(on a tangent, what motorcycles do you all ride? I have a '95 Virago)

Anje
December 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Missmanytoes' picture:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/missmanytoes/pocketbonnet.png