PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate wearing their hair up?

windblown
December 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I saw the long, long challenge thread to wear your hair up. I know this is probably better for my hair, but I really don't like to. I like my hair down. I like not messing with it. It gives me headaches to wear it up on my head. So, I'd have to stick with braids, and I think having my hair pulled away from my face makes my face look to severe.

Am I alone?

Thoughts or suggestions?

sahiba
December 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm sure you are not alone but I'm definitely not giving you company here.:smirk: My sil would though, she can't keep her hair tied up or she too gets severe headaches.

kimberlily
December 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I prefer to wear it down, but I don't like the tangles or the hair in my soup ;) For me, wearing it up is just more practical.

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm of two minds: I hate how I look with my hair bunned. I hate how it tangles when it's down. Braids are not protective enough; too many hairs work their way free and tangle, especially on the underside.

RavennaNight
December 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hey! Although *hate* may be a strong word, I do dislike wearing my hair up all the time. Most recently I have been alternating between braids/hairsticks and wearing down. It's just impractical to keep them down at work, they get caught on everything. The moment I leave work, though, the hairsticks come out and it is joyfully down. I would love to join you if my hair at work doesn't count? :cool:

ancilla
December 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
yeah I really can't stand the way I look with my hair bunned. I don't feel attractive at all. My hair is what makes me feel attractive.

Aisha25
December 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I dont like wearing them up it hurts my head and neck I much rather have braid or 2 braids maybe once in a while I wear them open.

Curlsgirl
December 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I too feel prettier with my hair down and I get headaches pretty often too with updos. I have finally gotten pretty good with them where I can balance them sometimes without pain and that helps. I like braids and they stay pretty well on me and don't tangle so that is a good alternative. I do wear it down some though in the winter..hardly ever in the summer though!

Erin1152
December 4th, 2008, 11:23 AM
windblown, I know how you feel.
Until recently, I never in my life - ok.. maybe 2 times, wore my hair up in public. It started as a confidence thing in Jr. High, because I was really self conscious about the skin problem I had that made me cheeks red. (KPRF) I got teased a lot for it. So I guess besides thinking that my hair was my best feature, it was also a way to hide..
It's only recently getting beyond all that stuff with the person i'm with now and the confidence i've gained. That and really trying to grow healthy hair, that I suck it up. I still don't feel completely comfortable though, sometimes I still feel naked.

HairyCarrie
My hair is at the length where I can play with little ponytails and clipbacks. But I'm finding that I keep pulling the hairtoys out and readjusting the 'do. I don't know if I'm just not used to things in my hair after years of being short, or if I too won't like putting my hair up when it gets long. It did cross my mind that I might prefer having it down... sure wish it would grow to where I'll really know! :grin:

Carrie.

Tristessa
I feel the same as Ancilla. I just don't feel like myself with my hair up. But I wear it up practically every day, these days (because of the environment I'm in).

As far as suggestions go, I say if you're not in a work environment where you need to put it up, maybe wear it down or in half-ups that help secure parts of it but still help you feel like it's down. I hope that helps a little.

vampodrama
December 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm of two minds: I hate how I look with my hair bunned. I hate how it tangles when it's down. Braids are not protective enough; too many hairs work their way free and tangle, especially on the underside.

I'm exactly the same.

plus my hair is thin so all braids and buns look tiny and pathetic on me.

Rain76
December 4th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I am still growing my hair out (again), and it is just past my shoulders, so I always wear it down now. But when it gets longer, I will feel the need to wear it up, or rather, back (in a ponytail/braid), only because it gets everywhere, not because I prefer it that way. I do prefer it down, but it is so fine and thin, it will just tangle & fly away from me & get into everything. I agree with kimberlily, it is just more practical to wear it up & out of the way.

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I don't mind it up, but I don't like it up. I think it's a waste to have it up it's so hidden and no one sees it. But I don't like down either. I have alot and It get tangled and caught and rubbed and in my way down.
I don't know. Most of the time it's in a simple briad.

HairColoredHair
December 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
That's really how I felt for the longest time.

Now, though, the sheer EASE that comes with wearing it up every day (a simple bun is quick and easy! And then it's not in my way all day!) wins out everytime.

Quite honestly, though it's a bit severe and I have a high forehead and blah, blah, blah... you get used to the look.

The headache issue was fixed with figuring out how to secure the hair PROPERLY. Scrunchies and such for me just don't work.

Lady Verity
December 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yep. I hate having it up. I look ridiculous.

heidihug
December 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
When my hair was under 35" long, I wore it down more often than up. Now at 48", I almost never wear my hair down. Too much damage ensues from tangling, being whipped around in the wind, rubbing on clothing and furniture, etc, etc. My hair is fine and relatively thin, so I never have had too many headaches from wearing it up, though I remember occasional problems when I first started doing almost exclusively updos. I just got used to it, I think.

If you intend to maintain your hair at your present length, I wouldn't worry very much about leaving it down, it's not at the point that it is constantly in your way and getting caught on and in everything. If you want to go say, classic-length long, you may find that leaving it down is impractical at best, and impossible at worst, as others here have discovered.

Heidi_234
December 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I want to enjoy me hair! I hate it that I have to put it up at times!
I know it's much less damaged and tangled this way, but I only really enjoy my hair when it's down.
I think wearing one's hair is down - the prettiest hair 'do. At times I don't understand folks who maintain long hair but bun it all the time. It's like have very pretty marble surface in your kitchen and covering it with nylon all the time so it would get stained or damaged. You're not really enjoying it that way in my opinion, but whatever peoples choose to do with their hair is their business, and I welcome it.

HairColoredHair
December 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I want to enjoy me hair! I hate it that I have to put it up at times!
I know it's much less damaged and tangled this way, but I only really enjoy my hair when it's down.
I think wearing one's hair is down - the prettiest hair 'do. At times I don't understand folks who maintain long hair but bun it all the time. It's like have very pretty marble surface in your kitchen and covering it with nylon all the time so it would get stained or damaged. You're not really enjoying it that way in my opinion, but whatever peoples choose to do with their hair is their business, and I welcome it.

:lol: I find this funny, because I actually enjoy my hair more NOW than when I wore it down all the time.

To me, it's like putting something fragile on a high shelf because otherwise the dog/children will break it. You can take it down and enjoy it, but you don't have to worry about it getting knocked off the coffee table.

Heidi_234
December 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
:lol: I find this funny, because I actually enjoy my hair more NOW than when I wore it down all the time.

To me, it's like putting something fragile on a high shelf because otherwise the dog/children will break it. You can take it down and enjoy it, but you don't have to worry about it getting knocked off the coffee table.
Well, we might have different perceptions about hair. I always wished I just could wear it down, and I couldn't because it was so puffy and ugly. I grow it long so it will weight itself down and I could wear it down as I always wanted.

jera
December 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I saw the long, long challenge thread to wear your hair up. I know this is probably better for my hair, but I really don't like to. I like my hair down. I like not messing with it. It gives me headaches to wear it up on my head. So, I'd have to stick with braids, and I think having my hair pulled away from my face makes my face look to severe.

Am I alone?

Thoughts or suggestions?

No, you're not alone. I prefer wearing it down too. I know I look better with it down. When, and if, I reach my hair growth goal, then I'll happily put it up. :)

joyfulmom4
December 4th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Years ago when I first had long hair, I wore it up all the time. Usually in a braid or cinnabun or braided bun. Those were the only styles I really knew how to make and I didn't make them very nicely. They were pulled back tight and I had no interesting hairtoys or style variations. I rarely got compliments on my hair unless it was down. Hence I grew to feel that I didn't look good in updos.

So I wore it down when it was convenient to have it down and up the rest of the time. Then I got it cut.

Later I grew it out again and wore it down almost all the time. The only times I wore it up were when I was working out or spending time outdoors where it would be blown around or doing something indoors where it would get in the way a lot. But at least 90% of the time I wore it down in the day (still braided at night).

Recently, my hair has gotten long enough that it's becoming significantly easier to put it up. I am nearly at classic length and since I discovered LHC, I've discovered how to make many more updo styles and how to better style and decorate the ones I wear. And to my pleasant surprise, I'm getting more positive feedback on my updos. I still get more positive comments when I wear my hair down, but I no longer feel like a frumpy old maid when I put it in a bun.

As for comfort, I have an extremely sensitive scalp so I do have to make sure I put my hair up right. If the bun isn't positioned right or if there is anything pressing against my scalp or pulling on some hairs, then I get a horrific headache. But if I do the style just right, it feels good.

Funny you should post this today b/c today as I was coming in to work I thought to myself (for the first time ever) "Hey, I think I'm growing to like wearing my hair in updos!" I got a compliment on my vintage hair clips today and I feel rather chic w/ a combination cinnabun/braided bun placed very high in back. And my hair is totally out of my way and not getting damaged. :D

Drynwhyl
December 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have it down most of the time, it's like a cloak to me :D
sometimes i tie it in a ponytail, braids, a half-bun or something messy, tight buns give me headaches, and I feel too exposed...

windblown
December 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Are there links to "half up" do's? How about doing up-do's properly so they don't give me a headache?

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only who likes it down. For me, it's not so much about showing it off - I'm a homeschooling mom & not out a ton - but that I just feel more like me with it down.

SimplyLonghair
December 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have to wear my hair up at work but I don't like it.:( I like it down. I think that it is better for my hair down. It seems to get stronger down. I just finger comb it and keep it straightened up. Then it looks better longer.

florenonite
December 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I dislike the way my hair looks up, but it gets in the way so easily when it's down. Also, I tend to wear it up so I can go longer between washes.

jivete
December 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I prefer mine down, at least when inside. When it's hot or I'm outside, then I like it up. I'm sure it's better up for it when it's up, though. As long as I'm inside, I don't think it's too damaging to wear it down especially since I sit at a desk.

Fantak
December 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I think having it pulled back tightly looks harsh so I usually put it up in a loose messy bun and clip it place with a crocodile clip (smooth edges always!). I think it looks much more dreamy and feminine, especially since I have various face-framing layers (that I cut myself over the past couple of years hence them being 'various'). I only do this if I'm dressing up though because it gives me a slight headache if I keep it up too long. Before I joined LHC I had it down most of the time, sometimes a little crocodile clip holding a few strands off my face if I was working.

Since joining LHC I've been taking better care of my hair and so have been oiling and braiding it almost all the time. I don't braid too tightly though and so in a couple of hours I get some strands around my face which makes it a much softer look.

HTH ^.^

shwankie
December 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I prefer mine down, too. I look completely awful in a bun, and my hair is too thin & slippery to do most of the more interesting updos. It just will not stay without product (which I don't use), and a bazillion bobby pins. Even then, it usually falls out. About all I can do successfully are french braids or twists on the side of my head.

That said, I am an athlete and a chef. So, it's up probably 80% of the time, even though I prefer it down. I do bun it when I am cooking sometimes (it involves clips, bobby pins, and hair sticks), but most often, it's some variation of pigtails that are folded and held back by a ficarre clip. Even my ficcare is only marginally successful holding my hair up. It slides a lot, especially if I am doing anything other than sitting, and it can give me headaches.

So, you are not alone. I prefer it down, but wear it up because I have to.

autumnsakura
December 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think this is so interesting, because I've always strongly preferred to have my hair up. I have to make an effort to wear my hair down occasionally. About once a week, I'll wear it "half-up". I don't like my hair falling into my face all the time, and now that it's waist-length, I get tired of keeping it out of the way of my back pack or the backs of chairs. Plus it tangles and gets dirty faster. I think I look better in general with it pulled away from my face, and it's a nice surprise for people when I wear it down, and makes it special.

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Haha no i hate to wear it up sometimes and then i let it down. But then it annoys me if i dont think it looks good. So it just ends up to be like a bad circle or something haha

Elphie
December 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I prefer my hair to be secured. That can be fully up, half up or braided back, I'm most comfortable if the hair on my head is secured in some way.

Tapioca
December 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
My little title thing isn't "Down do be do down down" for nothing. :)

Ironically, though... it's in a bun right now.

Schmoomunitions
December 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I like my hair up better, down it blows all over the place and in my face and falls in my food. Plus I like the uptight librarian look, cause I have glasses. When people do see my hair down they cant believe how long it is.

Jeni
December 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm another who thinks I look better with my hair down (large forehead) but when its down it annoys me. I have to brush my hair all the time when its down, if I don't it tangles and just don't look as good. I know brushing all the time can cause damage plus there are certain places I cant whip out a hair brush every 20-30 mins, so I wear my hair up a lot. Still if I'm going out and am feeling self conscious (everyone else is prettier then me!!) i will wear it down. Even at 26" my hair is thought of as "soooo long", plus in a room of blowfried hair, my hair looks fab.

I think when my hair gets longer and I can do more hairstyles putting my hair up wont be such a bummer. My issue now is when I'm at home I just want to chuck it up in a BB bun with a scrunchy. Unfortunitly my hair is so fine it just slithers out and i have to redo it every hour. Very annoying.

shwankie
December 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
As a complete side note, my hair is always commented as being "so long," though it measures only 22 inches from crown to tip. However, I am only 5 feet tall, which makes *all* the difference in the world. The difference for me in BSL and Waist is only a handspan, really, when for other people it's much more. My hair looks longer and people think of it as growing fast because I am "space efficient." Fortunately, I am very proportional.

This also means that when posts here say an updo is good for BSL or longer hair, it may not work for me even though my hair is BSL (of course, it being really fine contributes to that a lot, too).

Okay, I now return you to your regular thread.

MandaMom2Three
December 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I much prefer to have it down! That's why I WANT long hair, if it's all put up, it doesn't feel LONG to me! One thing I miss SO MUCH about my waist length hair was going for a walk on a windy day and seeing locks of my hair caught in the wind. It made me feel so pretty and feminine! I can't wait to get that length back! As much as I don't care for it, I am REALLY going to try and keep it up every day for a while. My hair has improved tremendously since coming here, but even after taking off an inch the bottom 4 or so inches are still dry and damaged. I am NOT taking off any more until I get a LOT more length, so I am trying to give them some extra attention right now. For now I only take it down to put some kind of goodies in then back up and protected it goes.

ktani
December 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I absolutely prefer to wear it down and free flowing. I have worn it up when it was shorter than it is now and now, only when I have to; it needs washing, chores, cooking, teeth brushing, showers between hair washing, face washing.

I may not grow it too much longer than it is now (past BSL) if wearing it down the way I like becomes cumbersome or difficult for day to day living.

I did not grow my hair not to enjoy it and I enjoy my hair down and free.

BTW, wearing it down does not cause damage, IMO. Even when wind blown, my hair does not tangle and I am careful not to catch it on things. My hair is in much better condition now than when it was much shorter.

MandaMom2Three
December 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I don't think wearing it down necessarily causes damage either, they are just so bad right now that I just want to keep them hidden and moist. Once they've been babied a while they can go back to "run with the herd" :p

zen_oven
December 4th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I don't really hate it, but I can't say I'm a big fan of wearing my hair up. I want to learn to like it though, because I love my brand new Ficcare and I love hair sticks! Ketylos. . . WANT!

Tangles
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Wearing it up makes me feel sophisticated and mature, whereas wearing APL hair down just makes me feel sour about how I'm at this blah, stupid, not quite long length.

I'm a big fan of slick updos, nice makeup and a headband/ or earrings. This looks good on just about everyone, and the accessories can help detract from the "plain" feel updos can give.

ktani
December 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I love long hair up on other people and the styles I see here. I think that many of the styles are elegant and lovely. They are just not for me.

angelic
December 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
*Raises hand* The only time I wear my hair up is when I work at my serving job. I have never enjoyed wearing my hair up or in braids even though I know a variety of updos and braids. I feel more "me" when my hair is down.

jesamyn
December 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I like wearing my APL-ish hair down. It's decided to be wavier and curlier again now that I've gotten off of hormones. I like it. I still wear it up more often than down, though. I think I'm averaging about one day a week down.

Darkhorse1
December 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I LOVE my hair loose! I wear it up at work as it's a safer style, but I LOVE my hair long and flowy. :)

RavennaNight
December 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
All this talk about loose hair makes me really impatient to get to TB length. *Ponders the 1 1/2+ years left to go... :p

sahiba
December 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Wearing it up makes me feel sophisticated and mature, whereas wearing APL hair down just makes me feel sour about how I'm at this blah, stupid, not quite long length.

I'm a big fan of slick updos, nice makeup and a headband/ or earrings. This looks good on just about everyone, and the accessories can help detract from the "plain" feel updos can give.

And you must be looking gorgeous with all those put together.:)

*Raises hand* The only time I wear my hair up is when I work at my serving job. I have never enjoyed wearing my hair up or in braids even though I know a variety of updos and braids. I feel more "me" when my hair is down.

You have beautiful hair. I love your siggy picture.

Gumball
December 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I might wear my hair loose more often if it was just more conducive to my sanity, but when I do I always have to deal with the repercussions at the end of the day. I wear my hair up a lot and I really enjoy the various styles I can do. I'm more an up hair person than a down hair person. :)

Katze
December 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I feel best and prettiest when my hair's down, but at the moment that's not possible every day. I get maybe 3 good hair down days a week/wash cycle, and enjoy them to their fullest. Then I try to find an updo that works for me on that day.

My hair is very frizzy, fuzzy, and messy, and simply will not work for the kinds of sleek updos most of you have, unless I brush and oil it into flatness. Braids pinned up, a French twist, or some kind of messily-twisted-held-with-a-Ficcare thing are about the limit of my repertoire. Buns look really, really stupid on me - like a tiny knob on the back of a huge round head, which is what they are, and my ends don't like being held down like that too - bunning seems to damage them if I want them out of the way.

Lately I have been experimenting with different ways of pinning up my long bangs and front hair into halfups but also updos that lengthen my face rather than making me look doughy and dumpy.

I long for the day that my hair is all one length (yeah right) and the damaged ends are gone so my hair doesn't look two-toned when I have it up, and my drastic taper is hopefully reduced.

Wearing my hair down makes me feel better about myself and my hair. BUT, the longer it gets, the more it gets in the way - hair in food, hair caught in zippers - and I realize the necessity of containing it more!

winter_star
December 5th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Your definately not alone with this one! I'm not a big fan of wearing my hair up. I waer it down 90% of the time and only tie it back on occasions for work. There are many pretty styles around and I have tried a lot of them, but I usually end up taking it down half way through the day with a migrane. I feel free and unrestricted with my hair down. I much prefer it out over up-do's.

Payal80
December 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM
What is use of having long hairs if you cannot wear it down ?

I also hate wearing it up (i agree at present I don't have long hairs but soon)

I love them to show up in ponytail.

zift
December 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
What is use of having long hairs if you cannot wear it down ?

Although I hate wearing my hair up too I have to disagree with this phrase. Uuum can the use of long hair be the many variations of awesome updoes and braids? You cannot wear updoes and buns with short hair so here you go one more plus for having long hair.

Haldir
December 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I almost never wear my hair up... it's always down and loose and free, it's more comfortable that way:)

Payal80
December 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Although I hate wearing my hair up too I have to disagree with this phrase. Uuum can the use of long hair be the many variations of awesome updoes and braids? You cannot wear updoes and buns with short hair so here you go one more plus for having long hair.

uum Sorry for my phrase I have to take that back.

agreed with you on updoes and buns.

Amoretti
December 5th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I think wearing it up is just more practical. It would get caught on everything if it was down.

The last time I wore my hair down it was TB and I felt very uncomfortable with it catching on things and being the focal point on my appearance.

The longer it gets the more used to updos you get and in the end they seem just as natural as wearing your hair down.

I still miss the freedom of loose, waist length hair though.

windblown
December 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hmmm...I can see what people mean about it getting in the way. My hair was tb length just a few weeks ago. (I have several inches taken off because of splits, etc...) At that point, I was getting annoyed with my hair falling into everything (say, the dishwasher while I'm loading dishes, for example). I was going to have to start wearing it up or get it cut. I opted for cutting for the health of my hair. Now I'll see how I feel about it when it gets longer again.

I *do* think that you get kind of used to keeping it out of the way when you wear it down all the time. I've had long hair my whole life, except when I cut it just above my shoulders in 8th grade. So, I've lived most of my life keeping my hair out of the way.

I'm glad to hear people say that it doesn't necessarily damage hair to wear it down. I sometimes feel like I get more damage from having binders on the ends (somebody could talk to me about better binders) or from the way that buns & updo's pull on my hairline.

Sissy
December 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I'm with ya! I feel self-conscious to wear my hair up. For one, I do not really enjoy spending time fixing my hair and do not and have never done any up-dos. Secondly, as others have said I feel prettier with my hair down. I feel it helps had the roundness, fatness of my face! I read on another thread that wearing hair up in a bun moist all day would really help to moisturize it, but I'd have to try to learn a bun and then do it in the privacy of my own house, LOL... that's how self conscious I am about it! Maybe if I lost a ton of weight and face thinned out considerably perhaps I'll look good with it up!

Speckla
December 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I like braids and buns occasionally for a change but would rather wear my hair loose and long on a daily basis. Curls yearn to be free.
________
Gsx-R250 (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R250)

Elenna
December 6th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Usually I wear it down; however it is getting caught in car windows, seat belts, doors, knees, stoves, clothes, hangers, etc. I need to wear it up more. Life is risky with long hair.

But I feel so uncomfortable with my hair up. It just feels so exposed.

littlemiss
December 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
yeah I really can't stand the way I look with my hair bunned. I don't feel attractive at all. My hair is what makes me feel attractive.
I have to agree totally with you on this one :agree:

Aditi
December 6th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Like everyone i also dislike to tie my hair in bun......but i do agree that messed hair bun looks great on me :crush:

savi
December 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I prefer my hair free and flowing, but find braids so much more practical. And do buns pretty often. But my preferance is with open hair.
I used to selfconcious of showing my face better, aka skooping the hair away from it. But wearing it in a bun daily at work helped a lot, so now it's just a preferance, the wearing hair down.

angelic
December 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM
You have beautiful hair. I love your siggy picture.

Thank you sahiba :flowers:!

NebraskaChick84
December 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Am I alone?

Thoughts or suggestions?

I feel that way as well...but I have a 3.5y/o (4 in march)a 2y/o (3 in July) and a 9m/o (1 in February). and wearing my hair down is NOT an option. I also get headaches but I've been wearing my hair up for almost 4 years so I suppose I am used to it by now!:p

Zindell
December 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I definately prefer to wear my hair down, and it usually is down. I think I get a softer and more feminine look with it down.

Sometimes I have it in a braid or a half-up, but I never tie it back in a bun. The most "up" do I ever have is a french twist once in a blue moon, because I think it looks elegant.

windblown
December 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Oh, I totally understand about kids. When mine was a baby, I used to braid my hair all the time. I didn't wear it down for a few years.

Amara
December 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I really like my hair down. It feels soft and fluffy around my arms and back. I like the weight of it swishing around. I like finger combing through it.

I really like my hair up. I like soft twists and big messy buns. I like my exposed neck - it feels elegant. I like using my pretty hair toys. It feels sophisticated. I also like knowing (now that dry, cold winter has arrived) that is is moisturized, warm, and protected in its 'do.

I think a good thing may be to find a length you like down AND up, if you can. That way, when it needs to be put away, you can, and be happy with it. You can also enjoy it down when that time comes. I put it up for work because it's so much easier that way. And of course its up for dance class - I teach very tough classes and sweat a TON - what a mess that would be. But it's often down at home when I'm relaxing, and to "go out" I often wear it down.

Spike
December 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Mmmmm . . . back before I cut my hair, I didn't like wearing it up. All I could manage was a sloppy bun with a stick, or a french braid, or a topsy tail. I was up-do challenged.

Now I've seen some really great updos that don't look like they'd take hours in front of the bathroom mirror, sixteen hands, and ten different products to accomplish . . . but I don't have the length for any of them! (pulls on hair to make it grow a little faster)

I'm thinking that once I hit APL or BSL, I'll start putting it up in different ways. That always looked like part of the fun of long hair, the different braids and such.