PDA

View Full Version : Henna + coconut oil = ?

Lady Verity
December 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Okay, quick question before dyeing my boyfriend's hair tonight.

What happens when you mix coconut oil with henna? Does the hair suck up the dye more effectively? Or should we treat his hair with oil before applying the dye? How about afterwards? Is it deadly to use both in succession?

I appreciate your expert input! :D

rymorg2
December 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I've put 2-4 tbsp of coconut oil in my henna mix before with no issues. Some people report less dye uptake that way, but I didn't have issues. Also, I've heard that using coconut oil prior to coloring, however you color, can protect it but I've never done that myself.

My usual mix is my Rainbow henna dark brown, with a few squirts of camellia oil and 2 tbsp organic ACV, all mixed with a hibiscus based tea. It works well.

Lady Verity
December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Thank you, Rymorg. The boy mixes his red henna with red wine, and we were wondering if it would be sensible to oil his hair so that the wine doesn't strip it. It's probably trial and error.

rhosyn_du
December 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I can't speak for coconut oil specifically, but I use a couple tablespoons of EVOO in my henna mix, and it's had no effect but making my hair more soft afterward.

Kirin
December 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I've used coconut oil in my henna mix with no problems, and still had good dye uptake. I suppose individual results vary. I have also used coconut milk, with good results