PDA

View Full Version : Perception of YOUR length?

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I often think people with hair shorter then me have hair longer than me...
AS in Jenifer Aninston in Office Space I think her hair looks longer than mine. http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w87/redsdb/jennifer-aniston-flair-office-space.jpg
Or Jessica Simpson in Employee of the Month
http://www.timeout.com/img/20703/w513/image.jpg

Does anyone else have this odd perception of their hair?
My boyfiend thinks I"m silly::silly:
But :hmm:: I wonder why I do this? I look at their hair and think I wish my hair was long like that, when in reality it's like twice that length? OK maybe not twice but ....
Maybe it's because since my hair is really long, its up, and when it's down, it's never over my shoulders in front of my like that, it's too overwhealiming, and didn't look that 'nice' and 'neat'.

Shurgs...

lora410
December 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Yup, I always feel like mine is no longer then APL :lol:

MsBubbles
December 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
First of all, Office Space has saved my sanity for all the years I have begrudingly worked in the corporate world. Second of all, Jessica Simpson's hair is probably fake. Third of all, what are you, nuts? Your hair is 44"!!! That's so funny!! Your BF is right :p.

It's so funny because I was agreeing with what you were saying from my own point of view (thinking other people's APL hair is the same length as my BSL hair, for example), but then I came to a grinding halt when I saw your incredible hair!! You blow JA and JS away. By miles.

Aisha25
December 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Im the same way with my hindi movies. I always think there hair is like 2 times longer than mine.:rolleyes:

mommy101405
December 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I think I have the opposite problem. Delusions of grandeur I suppose :o

redtea
December 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Yup, I always feel like mine is no longer then APL :lol:

Me too! Although the other week I went out for dinner and the restroom there had a full length mirror and different lighting than I'm used to. When I looked in the mirror I was shocked at how long my hair was! When I got home, it looked the same again. :p

Maybe seeing your hair in a "different light" helps? :)

Copasetic
December 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
i do that ALL the time. whenever i run into people, they always remark at how long my hair is now, because it has always been quite short. and my reaction is always "what are you talking about?" i still feel like i have chin length hair.

Kerynna
December 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I find myself comparing my hair length to that of other women based on where it falls on the chest. Since I have now breastfed 3 children, my boobs are much lower than theirs, but in actuality I think my hair is as long as theirs in the photo.

(Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson both have very perky boobs, lol.)

Bubbleguppy
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Oh definitely! I came to realize recently that my 5'0" frame affects the perception I have of my hair length. Right now my hair length is just past BSL, but there are still so many styles that I cannot do on myself because it isn't long enough. So while my hair is long in context to how I normally measure it (APL, or BSL, etc), it's not actually as long if measured in inches. So tall people with BSL hair have much longer hair than I do.

Silverlox
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
A fellow LHC'er introduced me to a great expression which I think covers your experience: Hair Anorexia.

It's when you see everybody else's hair as full and long and think that you have puny, skinny tresses in comparison.

I suffer from it myself, sometimes. In the real world, my hair is longer than anyone I know or see on the street. However, nobody knows that, because I'm always wearing it up while out.

Then I come to LHC, filled with gorgeous hair of all types and lengths. And compared to the rich masses of classic, thigh, knee length or longer, I feel like a plucked chicken. :silly:

Another reason can also be that as the hair gets longer, we see less of it. Not only do we often wear it up, when it's down, it usually hanging down our backs where we can't see it ourselves. :shrug:

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I used to do that when it was shorter, but now that my hair is so much longer than it's ever been, I experience it as even longer than it really is. My memory is faulty, though. For instance, I was thinking of The Princess Bride as having way-long hair, like tailbone or classic or something, then I saw the movie again and realized that my hair is quite a bit longer than hers was.

sahiba
December 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
A fellow LHC'er introduced me to a great expression which I think covers your experience: Hair Anorexia.

It's when you see everybody else's hair as full and long and think that you have puny, skinny tresses in comparison.

I suffer from it myself, sometimes. In the real world, my hair is longer than anyone I know or see on the street. However, nobody knows that, because I'm always wearing it up while out.

Then I come to LHC, filled with gorgeous hair of all types and lengths. And compared to the rich masses of classic, thigh, knee length or longer, I feel like a plucked chicken. :silly:

Another reason can also be that as the hair gets longer, we see less of it. Not only do we often wear it up, when it's down, it usually hanging down our backs where we can't see it ourselves. :shrug:

Well its a beautiful term. It was used for me once by Cinnamon Hair when I first posted my hair picture. I too have this problem and not only hair but also body... I feel everybody is thinner than me .So I guess :silly: smily belongs to me. And DH is going to agree with me blindly.

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
yup me too, i see mine as shoulder to apl. In fact many a time I will be walking behind a long hair say arm pit length and i will think wish my hair was that long, then i realize it is actually longer! I dont realize my length until i see photos of it!

camara
December 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I firmly believe that my hair is at waist lenght.

I have no idea why, though. Maybe its because it actually was at waist for quite some time, and the process of growing it further started more or less coincidentally?

Kittee
December 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I used to do that when it was shorter, but now that my hair is so much longer than it's ever been, I experience it as even longer than it really is. My memory is faulty, though. For instance, I was thinking of The Princess Bride as having way-long hair, like tailbone or classic or something, then I saw the movie again and realized that my hair is quite a bit longer than hers was.

I do that too!

I was thinking Arwens hair was much longer than mine. Come to find out, mine is longer than hers! I and DID think the Princess Brides hair was classic! Is it not? LOL

But yes, everyday I think my hair is SHORT.

SweetPea88
December 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Guilty! I do the same exact thing all the time.

TheKnight'sLady
December 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I do the same thing. I always think my hair is shoulder length until I see a picture of myself and realize it is almost BSL :)

biggeorge
December 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
As a guy I can honestly say we have misconceptions over this topic quite often.

eadwine
December 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yes I do!

I can see someone on the street and admire the long hair. Only later will I realize mine is longer :lol: So silly

magicatt
December 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I also suffer from hair anorexia. I am constantly thinking that other people's hair must be longer than mine but I think that half of my problem is that I am extremely top heavy. My hip-length hair is barely able to cover my boobs. That means that I tend to forget that I'm not at bra-strap length because that's about where it falls if it's completely in front. Needless to say, I've pointed out various actresses or women I see whose hair can't be more than maybe waist length and mention to my DH that I can't wait for my hair to get that long and he will give me looks that say "Wow, are you insane!"

eresh
December 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Ooooh that's so familiar!!
I have that too, I feel like tailbone or something.
I see peoples pictures or longhairs walking on the street and think ooooh she has such long hair, that's beautiful, I wish I had hair like that...
Then I catch my reflection in a window and it surprises me, oh, but, my hair IS that long (often longer).

Strange how your mind can play tricks like that.

DecafJane
December 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I think I have the opposite problem. Delusions of grandeur I suppose :o

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I blame it on all of you and your lovely ultra-long hair - I spend so much time looking at it that I think my hair is long, too. Then when I take a picture of the length, or try to do a style and fail because it isn't long enough, I wake up to the reality that I'm still not even APL. :p

jel
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Quite often, I feel that my hair is BSL, then get pleasantly surprised when I notice that the ends are actually hip length!

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Haha hm thats odd.. Maby cuz they have layers in their hair..?

Shadow Walker
December 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I too get the feeling that my hair is way too short, and it feels like it's about shoulder length when in reality it's almost at waist. I suppose in the long run it's a good thing though because it drives me to keep growing, thouhg it does get frustrating at times when I wish it would be much longer.

MarcustheWu
December 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
My hair is hip length. When I see pictures of people with straight thick bsl to wl hair, I often wish that my hair was as long as theirs. :rolleyes: But, my hair is about 3c, so shrinkage might have something to do with that. haha. I am just now starting to think that my hair, might, maybe, be long. haha

Anje
December 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I perceive my hair as being about as long as Jennifer Aniston's in that picture. I suppose that's roughly the length my hair has been at most, so it's my mental image of me.

Then my hair tickles my forearms.

Darkhorse1
December 4th, 2008, 10:31 PM
You're not along. I always feel my hair is just past bra length, but it's almost to my tailbone. I think it's because we only see a certain section of it. We don't see it in a whole because we don't see behind ourselves. Have you ever had a photo taken and see yourself and think 'wow, my hair is nice and long'. Well, I've only done that once I was at hip length, but It's weird--it's the same with weight. I guess you are used to seeing yourself a certain way.

Bene
December 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM
i always feel my hair is at shoulder length. i know it's at bra strap, but no matter how long it gets it feels shoulder length :(

MountainGypsy
December 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Sometimes I'll see a woman walking down the street with all one length APL or BSL hair and I'll think their hair looks so long, before I realize that I am at BSL (even a little below) too. I just don't picture my hair as long. I think part of it, for me, is that I have layers in the front, so when viewed from the front my hair looks shorter than when viewed from the back. Since I mostly see myself from the front... the short hair image is stuck in my head. :rolleyes:

Hypnotica
December 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I also suffer from hair anorexia. I am constantly thinking that other people's hair must be longer than mine but I think that half of my problem is that I am extremely top heavy. My hip-length hair is barely able to cover my boobs. That means that I tend to forget that I'm not at bra-strap length because that's about where it falls if it's completely in front. Needless to say, I've pointed out various actresses or women I see whose hair can't be more than maybe waist length and mention to my DH that I can't wait for my hair to get that long and he will give me looks that say "Wow, are you insane!"

My hip length does not cover my boobs. :/ Otherwise I feel like my hair is extremely thin.

Calanthe
December 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Guilty. My hip length hair doesn't cover my boobs, so I always think: wahhh, it's still so short. When seen from the back, the very first strands touch tailbone, so it cannot be that short. But still I always think it's short, no matter what. I see my co-worker and think: wow, that is long. And then I see mine is twice as long. Stupid.

crystal_89
December 5th, 2008, 04:16 AM
A few days ago I saw some long pretty hair and was whinging that I wanted long hair like that until my friend who was with me at the time told me my hair was longer than that.

Funny how some people mentioned layers may change the perception.

People look at my hair and think its longer with the layers. I look at other peoples' hair without layers or with less layers and think their hair looks longer.

SHELIAANN1969
December 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I never thought about it this way, my hair is past hip and some touches my tailbone, (a tad tad bit) but in the front, like you said, it doesnt cover the boobies, so it keeps making me think my hair is shorter than it really is.

I will look at people with BSL and think their hair is longer, I always think my hair is about BSL, then I look at it in the mirror and think "damn girl, you have grown some hair"! :cheese:

BUT, I am growing out layers too, so my hair really is shorter in front.

My hip length does not cover my boobs. :/ Otherwise I feel like my hair is extremely thin.