PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of it!

DreamingLong
December 4th, 2008, 07:16 AM
:( I am so sick of my hair, I can't stand how it looks and how it feels. I feel like it looks so boring and plain. I am only 2 inches away from waist and I want to cut it all off to about APL or alittle shorter. Trying to not color also, yuck looks so trashy to me. I do not feel like I look good right now at all. I need to do somthing with it, I can't take it much longer.

Kerynna
December 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm new here, but judging by your avatar photo, your hair is GORGEOUS! I would *kille* for hair like that! (Not really, but, you know. ;) )

I get to feeling that way about my hair pretty frequently, and have found that making even a very small change with it can keep me going again (with leaving it long). Maybe try a different part location? Or brush the front straight up and over rather than down to the sides (or vice versa), or a new updo?

Whatever you decide, your hair is beautiful, so shiny and such a radiant color.:flower:

Kerynna
December 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Ack, no editing here and I misspelled 'kill'. :o

girlcat36
December 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I would love to have your hair! It looks beautiful to me.

You have invested a lot of time into growing your hair, and I'm afraid that shortly after you cut(if you do cut), you will regret it and wonder what you were thinking!

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think your hair is beautiful, too. Maybe you could try different styles using barrettes or some other hair accessory that you like. There are so many pretty ones out there. Or try curling in once in awhile if you like curls. Hang in there.

SweetPea88
December 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Judging from your avatar picture, your hair looks great to me. Why not try to pamper it a bit and do a nice treatment of some sort? :)

Calista
December 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I used to feel that way when my hair was about your length. What can I say? I´m slowly approaching hip length now, and once my hair was past waist I started to love it again. Very long hair is unusual in itself and anything but boring! It doesn´t feel boring to me, either; I love it when the ends tickle me in places they never tickled me before.

Maybe you could do a cassia treatment for shine, and cut some face-framing layers, or a different hemline? Sometimes a little change is all it takes.

lora410
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
This is why I experiment alot. It keep me from getting bored with my hair and chopping it off. You hair is beautiful, and as as others said you will regret it. I henna between experiments and this keeps me happy. That and it's fun to do up-dos :D

Honey39
December 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
have you had it waist length before? I would give it a few months just to say that you have grown it that long! Would also agree that your hair is very beautiful, and it would be nice to see it get a little bit longer!

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I also think your hair is beautiful and think you would really regret it if you cut. Having been at this point many times I totally understand how you feel but you have invested many years of patience and hard work into getting it not only long but in tip top condition. Anybody can grow long hair its easy you wait and it grows but to grow beautiful hair takes a little more effort, sure there are going to be times when we all feel like we want to cut it and try something new but don't do anything in hast, a minute to cut but years to grow back.

Is there any other reason of why you feel so down about your hair? for example are you feeling depressed, relationship problems or other pressures which are making you feel low? Im not being patronizing but its a well known fact if we are depressed about things the first things many women do is change their hairstyle but it honestly does nothing to change your problems and can lead to further depression. Maybe this isn't the issue and you really want to go back shorter, if so this is your choice and its your hair but id put the 2 week rule into action and id certainly not go from waist to apl i would go just an inch a time.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you and you feel happy because thats the main thing, its hair and it grows. (Plus I really don't think you want to cut not deep down by reading you title,)Good luck xxxx

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Don't cut it. You are in an awkward stage. You probably feel like you've been growing it for a long time, but it's still not amazingly long. There are a limited number of up-dos possible. Hang in there. It takes even more years to become really long. It's going to look good that way. You have pretty hair. Just do something a little different to it. Pin it up. Braid a ribbon into it. Get some clip-in streaks of color. Or, as I have done when I can't stand my hair - put it up as quickly and efficiently as you can and pretend you got it cut. When you get tired of that, let it down again.

LawyerGirl
December 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Your hair is so beautiful! Remember that with long hair, if you get tired of how it looks you have tons and tons of options... with short hair, there is no versatility! When I get tired of my hair, there is nothing I can do but wait for it to grow so I can do something with it. Your hair is so pretty, if you have made up your mind to cut, I would only do a minor trim... it may make you feel better and you wouldn't be losing a ton of length!

MsBubbles
December 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Well if I were 26" with a blunt hemline like yours I'd be over the moon happy. Grass is always greener, right?:)

Is it the color situation that has you so annoyed at your hair? That's something you can change (albeit carefully!) rather than cutting it.

It's great that you're trying not to color but if it makes you hate your hair maybe there's another solution you can live with and keep your hair long.

Ryanne
December 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Your hair looks beautiful! Maybe different hairstyles will help.

Bubbleguppy
December 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I think your hair is really beautiful! I've been in your shoes before. I used to let my hair grow all year and then chop it all of to about shoulder-chin length every spring. Every time I would love it for about a week, and then really regret it. I used to always get bored with my hair one way, but then I realized that there was so many different styles that can be done with it! If cutting your hair is something that you've really though about, and still really want to do, then go for it. But if you make a snap decision to do it, you'll probably just end up regretting it after the fact:twocents:

mellie
December 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Your hair is so pretty!! Do not even think about cutting it! I just cut in July and I immediately regretted it so much! Now I sigh at my pictures with long hair...it takes so long to grow it back!

How about trying some fun new styles? Or some new shampoo? Have you experimented with washing with soapnuts or Dairy Whip whipped soap? They both make my hair so shiny and bouncy, I feel like a supermodel! (My siggy pic is with soapnuts!)

windblown
December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
You have beautiful hair!! Get yourself some hair toys or a special conditioner treatment, and maybe have someone take some fun hair photos for you. That might inspire you to love it & keep it.

LutraLutra
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Apply the two week rule - if your thinking about cutting, wait two weeks, and if any time during those two weeks you think you still want to keep growing then the two week rule starts all over again. If you set yourself two weeks to wait before making a dession and you don't change your mind AT ALL in that time, then maybe you should cut. But you have lovely hair :)

speakyword
December 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
you mentioned you've been trying not to colour it and feeling like it's drab... what colour do you like to dye it? maybe if you think about it for a while you could use some cassia to pump up the blonde, or cassia with a bit of henna for strawberry blonde, or henna if you dig the red, or henna and indigo... with light hair like that you've got tons of options as far as natural healthy dyes go.. and yes it's essentially a perminant decision, but same goes for a cut. henna and indigo always makes me fall in love with my hair again... so shiney and new looking

HairColoredHair
December 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe do a clear gloss on your hair to boost the shine? Or wear it up, try new styles?

In any matter... the 2 week rule!

AutumnSky
December 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ixnay on the uttingcay!

If you must, why not go to a nice salon, and get a professional shampoo, teeeensy trim and blowout? (if you're not morally opposed to heat, that is....)
Or maybe just a deep treatment...or a color gloss (no lifting, just depositing....) It's amazing what you can do with a jar of Manic Panic, which will cause no damage, and not even last very long. :D

Every time I think I'm over it, I go in for a trim, I get the works, and it feels like I have a new head of hair!

I find that the better I look, the better I feel...I can go from having a "gross day" to a much better one if I just take the time to take care of myself.

Good Luck!

:magic:

Curlsgirl
December 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I am also 2 inches from waist and it DOES feel like forever in this mid-back region especially since I have done fairly frequent trims. Don't undo it all. Why would you like it better shorter? Do give it a few weeks at least. I like the suggestions about hair glosses or herbs. I just bought some cassia and fenugreek that I am getting ready to try. I also do highlights because I absolutely hate my natural color with gray in odd places. Check out the herbal options. I agree that your hair is beautiful though.

joyfulmom4
December 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
As others have said, your hair looks very pretty in your avatar pic.

Tell us, what hair look do you really love? When you look at photograpsh of hair and hairstyles, what pops out at you and makes you want to have *that* hair? Is it short, layered, styled hair? Or is it waist length sleek hair? Or how about really long, wavy classic hair? Super short and chic? Only *you* know.

I get tired of my hair from time to time also. But when I look around at hairstyles, I'm not that into any of the ones I see in the fashion magazines and styling catalogs. The hair I LOVE (and always have loved) and admire is really long hair. When I see pics of women with gorgeous long thick locks, I just think it's so beautiful.

So I know that even when I'm having one of those days where I feel like maybe I should get a haircut or color or layer or something, I just won't do it. Because the look I love is the one I've been growing, even though it isn't always the way I want it to be.

If you find that your inspiration is something else, well then maybe long hair isn't for you. But if you're admiring the lovely long hairs around LHC, I think that's your answer.

Silver Strands
December 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM
It really IS beautiful.
I would order myself a high quality hair accessory like a Ficcare or a wooden fork, a special treasure to decorate your hair.

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
:( I am so sick of my hair, I can't stand how it looks and how it feels. I feel like it looks so boring and plain. I am only 2 inches away from waist and I want to cut it all off to about APL or alittle shorter. Trying to not color also, yuck looks so trashy to me. I do not feel like I look good right now at all. I need to do somthing with it, I can't take it much longer.

Now, dear DreamingLong, what's going on. Lots of good encouragement here.

Maybe set your goal 10 inches longer! :cheese:

Sounds like a good time for some pampering. Go get a pedicure and/or manicure, and how about a facial. Or do them at home.

If someone has done something like make a rude comment about how you look, then just PM their address and the Long-Haired Knights shall avenge you.

j/k

I went crazy in May 2007 because of tangles and all the grey coming in. Really hacked it up and hubby was heartbroken. Then I was directed here and saved what was left but had lost almost 2 feet of length. I discovered most likely those 2 feet could have been saved with the treatments and new care routines here.

The coconut oil hot treatment felt so good the first time I was hooked. Such a simple and inexpensive thing to do too.

You could go back to basics, and baby your hair again, just like starting over.

Without cutting.

Also, it is yucky weather around here, cold and rainy, so perhaps some cheering up is in order too.

Well, that's my list, hope you'll try something other than the two-tongued devil.

Love and Hugs,
WD :)

Unofficial_Rose
December 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
There is so much good advice on here...

What I would say is be aware how much you might regret it and it would take YEARS to grow back :( I'm still kicking myself daily for what I did back in the summer.:rolleyes:

Also: short hair is far more trouble than long. Daily washing and styling that one has to get up earlier in the morning to do. Not to mention all the salon trips for maintenance!

If only my hair was that length. Why not put it in a braid behind your head and ignore it for a few days :p

Robinlyn
December 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Your hair is beautiful. Please use the 2 week rule!!

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Yes, what about getting it french-braided at a salon after a nice natural herbal conditioning treatment. Then you won't have to mess with it for a long time. Or have a friend help you do it. You could make a hair rescue party out of it, cheer each other up and do each other's hair.

Cool.

Love and Hugs!
WD :)

wintersun99
December 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Johanna64
December 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Please don't cut your hair.
It's so beautiful.

susiemw
December 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
first rule:

don't do anything for two weeks.

Your hair is great and if you cut it, you'll just have to go
through this unhappy phase again.

How about trying some different styles: different braids, different updo's different buns, different hair toys..something to else to focus on besides your unhappiness with your hair in it's current state.

This too shall pass!! and I hope for your sake that it passes quickly.

remember: the two week rule!

Susan

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Noo please dont cut it.. i've feelt that "depression" many times and almost wanted to cut it all of. But then afterwards you feel a GREAT relife that you didnt do it.. so just hold on it might just be a period your facing?

sneakybea
December 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I think there are a lot of fun things you can do with your hair instead of cutting. I'd maybe focus on those which will make your hair feel and/or look different, such as playing around with gentle color or changing the part. Maybe you could experiment with curls? I've heard that rag curls will curl anyone's hair, and for me, it's a very different look. Also remember that you can cut your hair any time, so you won't lose any ground by trying our suggestions first, but if you cut it on an impulse and regret it, it will take awhile for you to regain that length. Best of luck!

mew
December 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
The 2 week rule sounds like a pretty good idea. Just to be sure it's not PMS ;) I think we all go through phases like that, but the problem is usually not actually the hair itself (i mean yours is pretty cool anyway, you should see mine! :D )
Chin up! :)

Sammybunny711
December 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I grew from pixie to shoulders in 9 months and then cut it to chin and REGRETTED IT SO BADLY! I thought it looked cute and all but I miss the length that I gained SO much. It is slowly crawling back (I've been growing it for three months now) and it is mid neck but trust me...if you want to keep your hair long...DON'T CHOP! However, if you think long and hard about ti and really feel that you would adore shorter hair then you should do what you feel is best.

DarkChocolate
December 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful:)
You are so lucky to have thick beautiful hair:)
I also like your blond color:)

Anje
December 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Your hair is beautiful in your av picture. It does look like you're growing out some past coloring though, or else your hair bleaches as it ages -- is this what's bothering you? (If it is, if it's still a problem after a few weeks, consider going to a professional colorist and getting a one-time, deposit-only corrective coloring to even it out. It won't be that damaging, really. Or you can put on henna, cassia, indigo, buxus, etc. if you feel like changing color, and those won't be damaging at all.) You could put some funky-colored streaks or ends in with Manic Panic, which should last a few weeks with no damage.

Maybe have someone else put it up for you in a nice, complicated style, dress up, and have a fun night out feeling pretty? I'm guessing that you're feeling a bit down about how you look in general, and your hair is getting the brunt of it.

Your hair is getting close to "that woman with long hair" length. Hang in there -- it'll feel better in a few inches.

Schmoomunitions
December 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Its time to go shopping for some nice barrettes and headbands!!! What about semi-permenant or temporary color?

Katze
December 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I agree; don't cut. You may just be in a rut, it may be the winter "blahs", but your thickness, shine, and blunt hemline are beautiful, and your hair IS growing.

The advice about finding out what you want is good. What is is about your hair you like? How can you make it look its best?

Some of us will never have the hair we want. I'd personally love to have hair like yours- that hangs smoothly and has a clear hemline. Instead I have hair that's just enough wavy to be frizzy, but seems to be losing the rest of its wave (hormones?) fast. I'm frustrated with it too, but am just trying to not think about it too much. Would "forgetting it" help you, too?

Good luck, hope you are feeling better. And your hair really IS beautiful, despite what you may think!

crystal_89
December 5th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Don't cut your hair... it's so pretty! Plus if you cut it... in a few months you'll say 'oh if I hadn't cut my hair I would have reached waist by now'. Cutting will only take your further away from your goal and make you more frustrated.

Lucky
December 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Another one chiming in to say "please don't cut!" I've done it several times and I end up regretting it every single time. I agree with other posters, try some new hair toys or a gloss or even maybe just a 1/2 inch to inch trim if you really must cut. And please use the 2 week rule, you may feel differently about cutting your hair in a couple of weeks.

DreamingLong
December 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you everyone for your encouragement, I always know that I can count on all of you. You are all right, I would regret it and I am so close to waist. The color is bothering me alot, so maybe after Christmas I will save some money up to get it done. Also it doesn't seem to lay very smooth anymore.
What are shine glosses? I have not had long hair since I was very young maybe 8 years old. I have always wanted waist length hair.

Phoenix06
December 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I cut my hair, it was reaching the longest it has been in years and I cut it back to chin this summer and I regret it...I was trying to get rid of damaged/dyed hair, but it really didn't look that bad at all, only to my perfectionist eyes. PLease don't cut... your hair looks beautiful!

Anje
December 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Just think -- in another 2 inches you'll be at waist. If you want to stay there, you'll be trimming your hair a lot more than you are now, and all bits of hair you find yucky will grow out and be cut off before you know it. And you'll have waist-length hair the whole time.

Chrissy
December 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm glad you decided not to cut. I was going to say look long and hard at my siggy. Before is the long pic, now is the short. DON'T DO IT!! :) I wish I hadn't. Mine is just a tad longer now. At least it reaches my collar. It took me five years to get it from the length it is now to the long picture. Now I'm starting over.

I hope you can love your hair again soon!!!

littlemiss
December 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hang in there!! we all feel like this at some stage!!! but your hair looks beautiful and really is worth the turmoil of a few bad days, Girl your almost at waist dont let go now!!!!

MAO
December 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think your hair looks nice! I hope my hair will be that long someday. I 'm barely past shoulder length with too many layers. Trust me, when you think you want something different and you get it, chances are you will be sick of it within a couple weeks. What started out as what I thought was a nice looking haircut now just looks like a big frizzball to me with all its different lengths frizzing up at the ends. I'm totally jealous of your hair, don't cut it!!