PDA

View Full Version : Micro trim

atlantaz3
December 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm really thinking mircro trim and there is a salon on the ground floor of my building. They said $10 - $15 for a micro trim. I'm always nervous going to a new place. Should I just pony up the $40 plus for my regular stylist. I do trust her - if I say 1/2 inch I can go home and measure that only a 1/2 inch is gone.... If I lose an inch - it's close to three months of growth lost.
By micro trim I'm thinking dusting.

marajade
December 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'd say if you can afford it go with the stylist you are comfortable with. Otherwise you need to be very specific with your new place, and even then they may not listen.

WindowDressing
December 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yanno, perhaps someone can explain, I thought that the trim itself opens up the end of the hair cuticle to splitting, etc. and to resist at all costs. Kind of like breaking the apial (apical) (sp) dominance of the strand. Once the shaft has closed, it will shed water and move natural oils on down keeping the "filament" texture intact.

Is this not so?

Not meaning to hijack, but isn't the blunt cut like the crack addiction of long hair? It splits, therefore we trim?

Except, we trim therefore it splits?

Just a question.

Your tresses are lovely, I'd leave them be, dear atlantaz3.:D

Hugs!
WD :)

MsBubbles
December 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well there's always the ol' 'think about it for 2 weeks' rule :).

I read your post the first time and thought 'oh I've never seen a salon advertise microtrims, how cool'. Then I read it again and I guess I think you went in and described a microtrim and they quoted you a price. If that's true I think I'd err on the side of caution and just use your regular stylist, if a half inch is what you're aiming for.

But I'm with the person above who said your ends look great, leave 'em be!

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm really thinking mircro trim and there is a salon on the ground floor of my building. They said $10 - $15 for a micro trim. I'm always nervous going to a new place. Should I just pony up the $40 plus for my regular stylist. I do trust her - if I say 1/2 inch I can go home and measure that only a 1/2 inch is gone.... If I lose an inch - it's close to three months of growth lost.
By micro trim I'm thinking dusting.
Id personally go to the one you trust and hang the expense or you could cut yourself using the Fayes method. Ive used this method for the past year for dusting my hair and have had no problems with it. your hair is gorgeous by the way. x

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yanno, perhaps someone can explain, I thought that the trim itself opens up the end of the hair cuticle to splitting, etc. and to resist at all costs. Kind of like breaking the apial (apical) (sp) dominance of the strand. Once the shaft has closed, it will shed water and move natural oils on down keeping the "filament" texture intact.

Is this not so?

Not meaning to hijack, but isn't the blunt cut like the crack addiction of long hair? It splits, therefore we trim?

Except, we trim therefore it splits?

Just a question.

Your tresses are lovely, I'd leave them be, dear atlantaz3.:D

Hugs!

I think this is an unproven theory. It does not hold true on my head. When I S&D, I find splits on hairs too short to have ever been trimmed. On some of them, I can see that it's a tapered end that has split. As a matter of fact, I find more splits on the shorter, never-been-trimmed hairs than I do at the very ends, which have been trimmed many times.

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I think this is an unproven theory. It does not hold true on my head. When I S&D, I find splits on hairs too short to have ever been trimmed. On some of them, I can see that it's a tapered end that has split. As a matter of fact, I find more splits on the shorter, never-been-trimmed hairs than I do at the very ends, which have been trimmed many times.

Do you mean a new hair that is short or one that has broken off mid-strand? Just wondering.

Since I stopped trimming I don't find splits at the ends. Can't really see further up, will have hubby check this!

Thank you dear spidermom!

Hugs!

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Do you mean a new hair that is short or one that has broken off mid-strand? Just wondering.

Since I stopped trimming I don't find splits at the ends. Can't really see further up, will have hubby check this!

Thank you dear spidermom!

Hugs!

It's probably a mix -- hairs that have broken off as well as untrimmed, tapered ends that have split. I think that twisting was causing stress and splitting even in newer, untrimmed hairs, so I don't do twisted buns anymore.

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
It's probably a mix -- hairs that have broken off as well as untrimmed, tapered ends that have split. I think that twisting was causing stress and splitting even in newer, untrimmed hairs, so I don't do twisted buns anymore.

oh my, now, I don't twist it when it is wet or damp. Just when all dry, then I make a single twist up to the top and wrap the length around to the end and scunci clip. Though it is loosely twisted, are you thinking that puts too much stress on the length?

Would I need to braid instead? Usually I don't braid it myself because of my arthritis. But I could get hubby to do that, he doesn't mind.

What do you think? My hair is pretty straight, just a slight wave. Switch to braids?

Thanks! :D

Hugs!

spidermom
December 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I can't say for sure, WD. I didn't do buns while wet either. I noticed that I'd have splits in runs, like they all occurred at the same time from something. I reasoned that they happened because of stress and friction from twisting. I could be wrong. I do wrapped buns now, one in particular (a sort of double-loop nautilus; see album). Unfortunately, I don't find braids to be very protective because lots of hairs work themselves free, then tangle, especially at the nape. I can't get a braided bun to stay in place.

Back to the original post - I'd stay with the stylist you know, atlantaz3. OR go observe in the hair salon with the microtrims, see how they operate. They probably have style books, so you could pretend to be looking for a new style if anybody asks.

Manako
December 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I agree to be leery of doing it on a whim. I had a trim yesterday, because my ends were getting unruly. I couldn't get my regular stylist, so I got someone else. I walked in worrying that she would cut too much off, she said she'd just do 1/2 inch which was fine if thats what she did.

I have rather curly hair, and she decided to trim it DRY. she barely cut anything, which I guess is good, but I am worried that she didn't trim all the 'bad stuff' off. and she did a horrible job combing it through, haven't been in that much pain since my step-mother did my hair for middle-school. I wish I had insisted on waiting for my regular person, I won't take her for granted any more.

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I can't say for sure, WD. I didn't do buns while wet either. I noticed that I'd have splits in runs, like they all occurred at the same time from something. I reasoned that they happened because of stress and friction from twisting. I could be wrong. I do wrapped buns now, one in particular (a sort of double-loop nautilus; see album). Unfortunately, I don't find braids to be very protective because lots of hairs work themselves free, then tangle, especially at the nape. I can't get a braided bun to stay in place.

Back to the original post - I'd stay with the stylist you know, atlantaz3. OR go observe in the hair salon with the microtrims, see how they operate. They probably have style books, so you could pretend to be looking for a new style if anybody asks.

Yes, at the nape, dear spidermom. I will check the album, Thank you!!!!

Very good suggestion about the salon. Seeming undecided could bring more ideas from their perspective, as insight to their style and care sense, and, then of course, you always say you'll have to get back to them about an appointment. At least make it two weeks in advance. :eyebrows:

Love and Hugs!

WindowDressing
December 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I agree to be leery of doing it on a whim. I had a trim yesterday, because my ends were getting unruly. I couldn't get my regular stylist, so I got someone else. I walked in worrying that she would cut too much off, she said she'd just do 1/2 inch which was fine if thats what she did.

I have rather curly hair, and she decided to trim it DRY. she barely cut anything, which I guess is good, but I am worried that she didn't trim all the 'bad stuff' off. and she did a horrible job combing it through, haven't been in that much pain since my step-mother did my hair for middle-school. I wish I had insisted on waiting for my regular person, I won't take her for granted any more.

*hugs* I cannot find another stylist who would do my hair the way mine did for TWENTY years. I tried twice. Dismal failures. I can't get mine back so I gave up.

Do wait, dear Manako.

Good ones are very hard to find.

Love and Hugs,

atlantaz3
December 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
My ends in that picture are just after my last trim - which I think was in April. Thanks though.
I made an appointment with my regular stylist for 12/13 - supposed to be the Winter Solstice and good time to cut hair to encourage growth. Whether I believe in that I'm not sure, but if I've decided on the trim I might as well do it on an auspicious day!

WindowDressing
December 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
My ends in that picture are just after my last trim - which I think was in April. Thanks though.
I made an appointment with my regular stylist for 12/13 - supposed to be the Winter Solstice and good time to cut hair to encourage growth. Whether I believe in that I'm not sure, but if I've decided on the trim I might as well do it on an auspicious day!

So glad to hear you will wait for your stylist. One's longtime stylist can be trusted to know what you want and to be loyal to bringing you back by pleasing you, not just doing a good job.

Uuum, except if you mistakenly insult him about his boyfriend of 2 weeks. I'd have said the same thing if it was his girlfriend of two weeks. Please. You can do better than a repeat jailbird.

Pffft.

Yes, don't worry, dear atlanta, nothing wrong with making a choice on the most auspicious of any system's calendar. I think that RAWKS! Though I thought the solstice was the following weekend. (I'm probably wrong on that)

So next Saturday. Good job!

Hugs!