PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?....APL is frustrating.....

basketcase413
December 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm sure you are all tired of hearing about my regrets of trimming too much length at one time....but since I trimmed I can't seem to come with anything that will hold my straight, slippery, thick, APL hair up, except for a ponytail (topsy or other) or a "super" ez bun that makes it look like I have a lot more hair than I do....(I'll post a pic sometime, soon, but I'm at work now). I'd like more variety, while I don't want to wear it down. Seems like it grows faster if I keep it up....or maybe I'm just surprised when I finally let if free. Regardless...any ideas for updo's at this stage?

Oskimosa
December 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've got this problem, too. I have relatively straight hair and a ton of it. It's hard to do anything to keep it up, and unfortunately you can't do many of the things most people can do at this length because of the thickness.

BUT, you can get creative with MULTIPLES. If you just do one bun, well, good luck tucking all those ends in. But try two or three! And if you can't do one braid, try two. Try a gibson tuck. Go "tails up". Try a half ponytail, doing an infinity with it, and letting the rest hang. Or, a sock bun only on the top half.

Try playing with PARTS of your hair instead of focusing on getting the length to do one whole 'do. That's what I "do!"

basketcase413
December 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Oskimosa...thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to consider trying some styles with that in mind!

sherigayle
December 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I lived in my Ficcare at APL. They're expensive, but so worth it IMO.

teela1978
December 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I agree with the multiples idea :) I think I just lived in a ponytail at apl (mostly do at bsl now too though).

DecafJane
December 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not quite APL, but am currently loving twin french braids, Ficcares and using hairsticks in as creative ways as possible. I'm with you on feeling the frustration! :)

GlennaGirl
December 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
How about two adorable braids? This look is so, so cute on not-quite-long hair. I wear my hair that way sometimes. I just love it. The braids would start just behind each year and stay close to the head for the first couple of braiding maneuvers.

ETA: Of course, I'm not APL (again) yet, but I wore my hair this way up to APL and a bit beyond that length last time around.

Manako
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I hear ya, I'm in the same position. I have a Goody clip that looks like a ficcare that I wear, or I will twist my hair up and secure it with a barrette (being careful not to hurt it shudder: )

If I do a standard braid its about 2 bumps in length, which seems too little to wear out. I will try two braids, that might work for me!

burns_erin
December 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Try a Goody ouchless barrette and a peacock twist.

Good luck, I am stalled at APL myself currently so i can empathize.

Tangles
December 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
You'd be surprised how many different buns you can do even at this length (though, caveat, my APL is longer than most people's due to long neck and upper chest).

My favorite right now is a variation of Isa-belle's "chignon doux et lisse." Basically I just pile my hair loosely together till it forms a smooth mass and hold it in place with three small claw clips.

PS--Not sure how you're a 4b with "straight, slippery hair"???

Boots
December 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
My bottom laye4 is just reaching bsl, but the rest is apl or shorter. I've been doing French and Dutch braids (one or two), french twists, segmented ponies (plain or braided), that updo with the two English braids pinned up diagonally (I'm sorry I can't remember who came up with it, it's so cute), or parting my hair on one side and doing a lace braid across the front and then a low pony or bun. This week I also did that part, topsied the side (it made the front kind of sweep up into the roll) then pulled it into a bun.

burns_erin
December 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You'd be surprised how many different buns you can do even at this length (though, caveat, my APL is longer than most people's due to long neck and upper chest).

My favorite right now is a variation of Isa-belle's "chignon doux et lisse." Basically I just pile my hair loosely together till it forms a smooth mass and hold it in place with three small claw clips.

PS--Not sure how you're a 4b with "straight, slippery hair"???

How funny I did not even notice that when I responded. i just went with the straightslippery and thick comments.

Hey basketcase, can you clarify this for us-:confused:

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I hated this stage, it takes ages to grow to and ages to grow away from! At APL I did french/ dutch braids, peacock twists (miss those now), ponys, scrunchie buns, sock buns thats about all I can think of!

Oskimosa
December 4th, 2008, 07:29 PM
How funny I did not even notice that when I responded. i just went with the straightslippery and thick comments.

Hey basketcase, can you clarify this for us-:confused:

Wow, I didn't notice that either. You know, when I first came in here, I didn't really get the whole hairtyping system either. I'm sure that's the problem... :p Right?

Addy
December 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I can't wait to move past APL, hopefully by summer time.

I use to wear ponytails all the time but I'm slowly moving past that stage. I'm trying braids, rope braids, and hair sticks. I have managed to get a few different styles going on that actually stay all day and look decent and up to my standards... just wishing my hair were not APL any longer. Must. wait. patiently. :)

Anje
December 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
That or she's a natural 4b, with relaxed hair.

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
why dont you all join my thread, apl to bsl come grow with me! lots of support and ideas on there!

Arctic_Mama
December 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
APL sucks, especially with thick, poofy, fine hair like mine that takes six extra inches to be long enough to achieve the same styles most other APLs can manage. The girth is insane and it STINKS because even though it gets longer I can still do so little with it.

I second keeping it up with a ficcare or clipped back (I use brazilian clips and flexis and love them), or do halfups for bunned styles. We WILL grow past this!!