PDA

View Full Version : Weight of hair

sn0w
December 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
So i was kinda of bored :D

and decided to see how much my hair weighs since my sis has a electronic scale for baking

and my braid weighs approx 90 grams

how much is hair suposed to weigh any how??
Do people weigh their hair :confused:

Does any one else find them selves doing weird things like this with their hair?

morguebabe
December 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
No but now I think I'll weigh my hair on the scale at work tommorrow.

sn0w
December 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Glad to inspire

SimplyLonghair
December 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yes most of us have wondered but didn't have a scale that would work:rolleyes: Hey I know, we could do a new thing, a weigh in as well as a measure;)

sn0w
December 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
the weigh-in would be a intresting alternative to measuring thickness and length :)

Themyst
December 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Ha ha - that is funny. In fact, I do have a kitchen scale however my hair is currently bunned.

.... seriously thinking about taking it down to find out ....

Anje
December 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Now I'm wondering how I can do this in the lab without people asking me what I'm doing. Maybe on the weekend.... Mine will be light, though.

Arcana
December 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've actually wondered before how much my hair weighs. Unfortunately I don't have a scale that would be able to tell me :(

RavennaNight
December 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmm... I smell another profile category classifier coming on... :cheese:

Themyst
December 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
140g - but I weighed it loose, no braid. I don't know what kind of difference that might make. I just piled up as much as I could on the scale while still being able to look at the digital readout.
Yep, nothing like having your husband walk into the kitchen while you're in the middle of something like this - now he really thinks I'm :silly:

longhairedfairy
December 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I was recently contemplating this. I may try it.

Teazel
December 4th, 2008, 02:14 AM
DH helped me weigh my hair - we've been together forever, he already knows I'm :silly:. :D

So it's 170 grams (6 oz), apparently. Hm, that's quite heavy, really, when it's hanging in a bun on the back of your head.

sahiba
December 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM
So i was kinda of bored :D

and decided to see how much my hair weighs since my sis has a electronic scale for baking

and my braid weighs approx 90 grams

how much is hair suposed to weigh any how??
Do people weigh their hair :confused:

Does any one else find them selves doing weird things like this with their hair?

MY, you were bored... :foot: just kidding. :)
My hair is totally weightless.

lora410
December 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM
How cool!! I dont have a scale to try and I doubt my hair would weight much..lol

taliarose
December 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Drats! I would do this but the postal scale isn't reading my braid....

BlackfootHair
December 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I just hope we don't have a "My hair is heavier than yours!" competition starting. :D

joyfulmom4
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm sure mine weighs at least ten pounds. Probably twenty. See, if I had short hair, then I wouldn't be overweight anymore. Sure. Yeah. That's gotta be it.

Still doesn't explain why my pants don't fit though...

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah I have to figure out how to do this in the lab today with no watching me...at least yesterday no one was around when I had my hair under the microscope (still attached to my head). LOL..

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Ha everyone took an early lunch...
loose not in a braid is weighs 135.5g....

florenonite
December 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm sure mine weighs at least ten pounds. Probably twenty. See, if I had short hair, then I wouldn't be overweight anymore. Sure. Yeah. That's gotta be it.

I weighed myself once and decided that maybe I'm losing weight but I don't realise it because my hair is gaining weight.

Hmm, my flatmate has a scale for baking in the kitchen, next time I'm alone in the flat I can try and weigh my hair...

sn0w
December 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
ok so i'm not the only curious one here yeah!

also i hope i have not started a competition as it looks like i'm losing :)

Igor
December 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Weight.jpg

Completely dry (More than 24 hours since my last shower) the mane weighs in at a little more than 200 grams / 7,05 ounces :p

Redheaded Raven
December 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Completely dry (More than 24 hours since my last shower) the mane weighs in at a little more than 200 grams / 7,05 ounces :p

ok now I'm jealous I'll TRADE!:D
Beautiful hair, you have been an inspiration to me!

Themyst
December 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yes, if only my hair could be so thick. But, alas! I must work with what I have.

freznow
December 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
70-75ish grams.

I'm wondering if my scale's broken, or if I did it improperly!

I guess this means that at least my head isn't imbalanced from the weight. Seriously, my hair must be hollow compared to all of y'alls!

:rolleyes:

patissegrietje
December 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM
:D couldn't help myself; had to try as well, it's app. 90 grams ->bsl

sn0w
December 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Many thanks on posting a picture and wow your hair is very thick:D

70-75ish grams.

I'm wondering if my scale's broken, or if I did it improperly!

I guess this means that at least my head isn't imbalanced from the weight. Seriously, my hair must be hollow compared to all of y'alls!

:rolleyes:

i think we are in the same boat :confused: but then again my hair is rather fine

Oskimosa
December 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM

:lol: That's because the closet is a known pants-shrinker! Didn't you know??

I keep coming up with about 95g when I gather all my hair on top of my digital scale. But you know, you can't weigh the stuff close to your scalp. But I guess that's about right, since my hair is APL/C/iii and Igor's is much longer than mine but also c/iii.

sahiba
December 7th, 2008, 11:40 PM

:agape: WOW!!

AprilElf
December 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I remember a similar thread on the old forum, and I weighed my hair because of it - but now I can't remember what the weight was, or where I recorded it! :bigeyes:

sahiba
December 8th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Weigh again ,it would be double by now.:smile:

AutumnLeaves
December 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
You made me laugh! Then I got to thinking that it would be hard to get a consistent number wouldn't it? Plus it wouldn't take into account the stuff closest to the head that you couldn't get on the scale without adding the weight of your whole head to the project! LOL

jay0
April 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've often thought of trying to floss my teeth with my hair.

lizzyjo
April 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mine is about 1.9 oz, give or take half an ounce. The scale wouldn't stay still!

viking_quest
April 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'd love to weigh my hair but I don't have the proper scale.

morguebabe
April 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I've often thought of trying to floss my teeth with my hair.

:o I have done that a few times when I absolutely needed to. I just rip a piece out and use it.. I know gross but it works in a pinch.

marajade
April 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hmmm... I smell another profile category classifier coming on... :cheese:

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Unnamed
April 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I also remember the old thread. I took this pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/UnnamedGryffon/2007/jun_hairscale.jpg) for it. And that's also how I got the numbers...took a bunch and saw when moving greatly upped the number (and went with the higher numbers right before that, which were right around where that one was).

Mine was about 50 grams then (June of 07). A bit longer now (almost knee/51.5" instead of almost mid-thigh/44.5" or so), but hair is very likely a bit thinner now, so it's probably about the same (and if not, it's not much heavier...but it could be as much as 10 grams lighter right now). I'll have to find a scale in the next few days and see to compare. :lol:

Aisha25
April 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hmm I wish I can weigh mine.:hmm: Sounds fun!

Jessica Trapp
April 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I can't believe it's been so long since I've been here! HAIR WEIGHING! I LOVE IT! No where else can I indulge my little hair obsession. Aisha25... I really like your siggy with the "Long hair is a gift not a burden." My feelings exactly!

Aisha25
April 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hehe I feel same way;) I am happy your back! Only here can we do this things:p

I can't believe it's been so long since I've been here! HAIR WEIGHING! I LOVE IT! No where else can I indulge my little hair obsession. Aisha25... I really like your siggy with the "Long hair is a gift not a burden." My feelings exactly!

Jessica Trapp
April 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I am happy your back!

Thanks! :cheese:

Juneii
April 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
ahaha great idea, I should try that tomorrow.

thing is, it depends on how high you keep your head from the scale, the higher your head, the less gravitational force on our hair.

Arctic_Mama
April 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I agree - we need a new classified!