PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop playing with my hair

AnnaMarie
December 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi all,
I am afraid I am damaging my hair. I wear it up most of the time, but throughout the day I'm constantly taking it down (about every hour)
and playing with it, combing it, oiling the dry pieces. I'm especially bad on the day before I wash because its usually quite oily and I like the feeling of combing the oils through from my scalp to the ends.
Is all this constant attention damaging my hair? :(

Anna

spidermom
December 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Probably not, but it might be irritating/distracting to anybody who has to watch.

AnneAdeline
December 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
As long as you're being gentle, it shouldn't be too damaging. I mean, everything is damaging to a certain extent.

I have a problem playing with my hair if it is down or in braids. I've found that doing hairstyles that will stay and aren't around my shoulders are the best for me. I agree with spidermom that it might be distracting to others. Then again, if you're alone... ;)

AnnaMarie
December 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Lol I'm alone for pretty much all of the day, which is most likely the cause of the problem! But at least I'm not bothering anyone else!
My job is a lonely one..:rolleyes:

AnneAdeline
December 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Maybe you should try finding something else to fiddle with instead of your hair, like a bracelet or necklace. I know I spend a ton of time fiddling with my watch. It stops me from messing with my hair all the time.

jojo
December 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I do this too and I drive everybody mad doing it, the only way I can stop myself doing it is by bunning it. I used to twist small areas and pull chunks out literally until i got bald spots but I stopped this. With me its a nervous habit and half the time im not even aware im doing it but i too need to stop doing it.

MandaMom2Three
December 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I am CONSTANTLY doing something to my hair LOL. I'm still amazed at how soft it is sometimes and I like playing with it! Once I noticed that hubby was just sitting there quietly watching me. I was totally embarrassed but he says he loves to watch me play with my hair :love:

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I do that when I wear a single braid for some reason or a ponytail. When it's down I am not too bad about it probably because I know messing with the curls will cause frizz. I do best when I wear a firm lightly oiled updo with a stick usually a Figure 8.

Tami86
December 4th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I'm worse! I've done a lot of things to my hair since I joined LHC! I wanted to try everything so I did it all at one. Everytime I wash my hair I try something new, and sometimes all things at once. I have a hard time sticking to a routine :s My hair is usually in a bun but I constantly un-bun to check the ends, oil, and then put in a bun again! My hair is coping well, I think it's being patient with me, but I have to stop soon.. I don't think you're worse than me =P

sahiba
December 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
As long as you're being gentle, it shouldn't be too damaging. I mean, everything is damaging to a certain extent.

I agree with AnneAdeline ,be gentle.

Maybe you should try finding something else to fiddle with instead of your hair, like a bracelet or necklace. I know I spend a ton of time fiddling with my watch. It stops me from messing with my hair all the time.

Thats a good idea. get a watch and fiddle with it.:p

AutumnLeaves
December 4th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I do this all of the time too. I rarely have my hair up when I'm home, unless I'm too warm or my chair is catching it. But I'm always twirling or catching my fingers up in it and gently tugging. A bad habit I've managed to get myself into, I suppose. Probably better than biting my nails though...

jivete
December 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I do this too. I'm really trying to break the habit, both because it's bad for my hair and because I'm sure it's annoying to others. It's a pretty difficult habit to break, especially when you're just sitting in the car or at a computer.