PDA

View Full Version : Sifting through info about Cones

Kellie_Brunette
December 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I was amazed to read about the effects that many people have had with shampoos with cones... I suspect that perhaps the shedding I've been experiencing *may* be a result from years of using Pantene.

I recently switched to Tresemme... I think it is cone-free. But I'm not sure.

What forms/names do all the various cones come in? I'd like to avoid these shampoos to see if this is the problem. What brands use cones?

I'm sorry if this is a daft questions - I searched and found lots of threads talking about Pantene and "cones" but didn't come up with what the actual name is called (when reading lists of ingredients).

Thanks so much!

ecologystudent
December 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi, I'm a newb myself, but remembered reading this:

"In the ingredient list, one can identify silicones usually rather easily. They are called "Amodimethicone", "Dimethicone", etc. and now you can see why they are often abbreviated with "cone". But a "Cyclopenthasiloxane" or a "Dimethiconol" can be a cone too. Those are the cones most commonly used, and if a product doesn't contain one of them, it is likely that it doesn't contain any cones at all."

That is from an article by pariate, under Hair Care, here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

I hope that helps. :)

plainjanegirl
December 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think that alot of the Tresemmes have cones. Some of the Vo5 and Suaves are cone free but I am not sure which ones....someone who knows will hop in here I'm sure. I personally am a cone user.