PDA

View Full Version : salvaging my hair

oogie
December 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Can any of you guys give me some really good advice about how to salvage my hair? I did something utterly stupid today and now - I'm just about in tears.

I had braided my hair into two ponytail type braids and left them in front of me while I set out to do housework today. I had settled in that I was going to clean off hubby's desk for him. He smokes so I'm trying to get the smell a little better, I light a small candle and leave it on the desktop. A little while later, I reach up to put something on a shelf above when I look down and see my hair had managed to get over the candle and even a little bit of it caught on fire itself.

For the record, I'm not hurt and I put things out quickly. I'm feeling damage in places all the way up to about where my shoulder on one side. Would any of you please be so kind as to keep me from going completely ballistic about having to have my hair cut and give me some advice?

Thank you in advance.

missy60
December 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Oh im so sorry this happened. I really dont have much advice, but to maybe do a long deep treatment the access your damage.

sahiba
December 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
What is salvaging :o ?

Aisha25
December 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
I think saving?

Fencai
December 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
As long as you're ok, that's the main thing!!!

If I were you, I would do an S&D to nip out the burnt bits and only the burnt bits.
Then I would do a SMT or other deep conditioning treatment.

salvaging means to save what can be saved, and only get rid of bits that cant be saved.

Aisha25
December 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
I would do alot of deep treatment too,so sorry this happened to you i would be crying so much:sad

spidermom
December 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
As long as you're ok, that's the main thing!!!

If I were you, I would do an S&D to nip out the burnt bits and only the burnt bits.
Then I would do a SMT or other deep conditioning treatment.

salvaging means to save what can be saved, and only get rid of bits that cant be saved.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

sahiba
December 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you and wish I had some advice for you.But never had such a situation .Good luck for the future.

Shufro
December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Oh =( im so sorry... If i were you i would maby try to cut of the damaged hair (but as little as possible and maby try to even the hair so its the same length) and put something repairing for the hair like oil or some deep hairtreatment.. =(

MandaMom2Three
December 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Oh how awful :( . How much of it was actually burned? Since you have such LONG hair it would be REALLY rotten to have to cut all of it. If it's only a small section I would cut only that one bit. If it's a bigger area you'd have to decide which is worse having shorter hair all over or having it look real uneven. I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

jojo
December 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hope it turns out ok and sorry this happened; id cry too. x

Darkhorse1
December 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I am SO glad you are ok!!! Gosh, that could have been really, really bad. I hear hair burns very quickly.

I'd do a deep oiling on dry hair, let it sit, then wash it out and see the damage situation. If your hair is really uneven, I think you might need to consult with a hair dresser for styling options.

Good luck!

Anje
December 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Glad you're OK.

I agree with Fencai's advice: snip off the ends off the hairs that look burned, then do a deep moisture treatment to everything. You may have some short sections, but the way you describe it, it probably won't be too bad.

nimeera
December 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
This happened once to my neice at her 4th birthday. She has the most beautiful long blond loose ringlets! And her mommy uses different hair products to show them to their best advantage. She leaned over her cake to blow out the candles, then got scared when we all suddenly lunged at her shrieking!

Her ear was singed slightly, and her hair had to be evened out. But otherwise she was okay. Just a bit frightened.

embee
December 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I'd comb carefully through and dispose of the burnt off bits. Then I'd do a treatment like has been suggested. I certainly would *not* do any cutting. You may find there's some extra breakage in the next few days as bits that were weakened finally let loose, but that should be all.

Glad you're ok. It could have been really nasty.

Lady Lilya
December 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Do the singed parts look the same color as the rest? Just a different texture?

oogie
December 4th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Lady Lilya: Different color for a good bit of hair and then the texture is simply awful. Think twig like.

Thank you all very much for you kindness. I'm just shocked I could ever be so stupid and careless. Husband had a good look at it with me when he got home and said it wasn't too bad. To me though any loss is bad.

Katze
December 4th, 2008, 05:04 AM
gosh how terrible! But glad it isn't worse.

Last summer I was enjoying a mellow night at home on the balcony, long warm evening and candles all around...and I leant over one plate of candles and caught part of my hair on fire. An S&D took care of most of it but I was still upset. It's not noticeable now, by the way.

hope yours goes away quickly too. :flower:

Curlsgirl
December 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Awwwwwwwwww I am so sorry! Please don't feel stupid though. It could happen to any of us, in fact thanks for the warning so we'll be careful with the candles and everything going on around this time of year especially. Hugs to you and let us know how it goes okay?

kwaniesiam
December 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Oh no, at least you are okay though! Another vote for the S&D and some deep treatments. Maybe next time wear your hair up in a bun too. Hope you manage to find something to help, at least it wasn't too much damage.

brok3nwings
December 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i really feel for you...this is one of the things that really scares me!
When i was younger and had long hair there was a stupid boy at a disco that decided to get my hair in fire... well, he did, i actually didnt felt it cause my hair was loose.... anyway, i really feel for you. I can imagine your pain, i think all the good advice have been given....
When i go to a disco with my friends i ALWAYS put my hair in a french braid cause there are people smoking all around me and i know that it is SO easy to burn hair. Unfortunatly :(

Nightshade
December 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with what's been said already, but want to add in one more step:

- cut off the obviously singed stuff
- soak your hair in conditioner (clarifying first if you use cones)
- apply oil or shea butter

Oil doesn't impart moisture, it just keeps it in, so you may want to give your hair a healthy dose of moisture and then use the oil/shea to seal it in :)

Here's my singed story- when I was 14 I was lighting a stick of incense. I lit the end and let it burn while I used both hands to relocate the incense holder, but when I did I looked down. The flame raced up the stick and singed my eyelashes and eyebrow on one eye.

I wasn't hurt, but yikes :scared:

Loviatar
December 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Oogie, I';m glad you're OK - it could have been so much worse. Seconding Nightshade's advice.