PDA

View Full Version : S & Ding and growth question

jojo
December 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi all,
Well I have finally decided to seriously S & D every month. My hair has only just again started to grow after a major stall. I have done s & ding in the past but only a half hearted attempt as I fond it so boring, however today I spent a good 2 hours cutting the splits away and I was shocked by how many I found, some like an inch up the shaft with branch like endings OMG! but I am thinking these have definitely contributed to my slow/ non existent growth.

My question being for those of you who S & D seriously do you see an increase of growth afterwards and do you have hair grow stalls.

I am going to do this every month from now on, although tedious my hair is less tangly since doing this. x

DiyaC
December 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Jojo!

Good to hear that your hair is growing again. Well, I find S&D-ing boring too, but I must say that the benefits have outweighed the dullness of the job. I have never had long hair in my whole life. As soon as my hair reached shoulder-length, I used to get a LOT of splits and my hair grew slowly after that since everything used to break off. The longest I ever reached at that point of time was APL. Now, whenever I'm in front of my computer or just sitting idle, I take my scissors and have an S&D session. The difference that it has made is unbelievable. I have BSL hair now, with hardly any splits. My ends don't feel as rough as they used to before I started taking good care of them.

I can't say that I had a huge growth spurt after I started S&D-ing, but I have seen a difference in length over time. Growth has been slow, but steady, and the ends have been in good condition ever since.

I've been measuring the length of my hair regularly only after I joined LHC, which was a year ago, and I can't remember whether my hair grew steadily or not before that since I never measured it. But I do remember being frustrated at my hair never growing beyond APL despite not cutting it for two whole years, and so I guess that qualifies as a stall period.

So to answer your question, I have had periods where my hair's growth seemed to stall and its never grown beyond a certain length, but taking good care of the ends and preventing breakage has made a world of difference, helping me reach a length that I've never reached before.

jojo
December 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
thanks for the reply Diya, that sounds reassuring. I know since i got to bsl I have noticed so many splits, i just never looked too colsely for them, plus i couldnt bring all my hair round to see them. hopefully i shall see a big difference with doing this regular.

trolleypup
December 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Honestly, I don't see any growth from S&D...well, likely I wouldn't, given I am at terminal. The benefit to me is in the reduced tangling and subsequent damage reduction of the hair I have. It is just so much easier when I've been keeping up with the S&Ds

unaspenser
December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 AM
S&D is a task that takes over my life if I do it... I get so stressed every time I see a split and don't have my scissors, and I wind up getting totally obsessive about needing to trim every single split. I finally gave up about a year ago and just do a small trim every month instead. I can live with a few splits and a thicker hemline (not to mention keeping my sanity). I have had just as many stalls since stopping S&D than before I started it. It's just your hair's growth cycle and maybe an increase in breakage, which trims will help. Be kind to your hair and don't worry too much about it. It'll grow. :)

Amara
December 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think S&Ding helps my total length tremendously, because I don't feel the need to trim the ends if I'm S&Ding regularly. The ends stay soft, untangly, and just generally awesome. If I blow of S&Ding for a while then I want to trim because the ends feel rough and tangly.
I'm planning on only S&Ding until I hit tailbone, and then if I want to thicken the hemline a bit I'll hang out at tailbone for a while and do a few "real" trims. Repeated S&Ding will thin out your hair a little bit over time... but I like my softer U hemline anyway and am not aiming for a very blunt hem at the moment.

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I would love to try that but i dont have the patience.. Once I tried it but it just gave me another reason to visit the salon hahaha.

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, I just realized ive asked this question twice ooops! thought id dreamed this one

burns_erin
December 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I don't get nearly so tangly with S&D, but it does not seem to help with stalls. It does however keep me from waking up with a massive rats nest that has to be cut out. I once even woke up with the ends knotted around my throat, lol.

jojo
December 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
LOL! I have noticed this too and its lovely to comb my hair without the normal *snag snap snag snap* sounds! my comb goes through my hair like its butter now!

Katze
December 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
that's great that one S&D has given you so much improvement! :cheese:

I regularly S&D, and feel like it doesn't do anything to the growth (except promote my hair continuing to be lots of different lengths) but it does help stop tangling.

Krifantasy
December 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I S&D in front of my computer as well, usually about 3 times a week. I have been doing this for the last month and a half or so and the difference is amazing. I no longer use a comb or brush and just fingercomb my hair before I wash it. It looks and feels so much better.

I don't think the S&Ding has affected my growth in any way though. My hair just looks and feels better.