PDA

View Full Version : Hair in Sauna

Gothic Lolita
December 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
We're having a sauna party at my best friend's this weekend and I want to use this opportunity to get a nice and hot deep treatment in there.
I'm planning to put on my nerbal conditioner on damp hair, then bun it and wash the stuff out after sauna.

But now I'm worried that the high temperature and the oils in the condish might cause damage.
Any experiences?

camara
December 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
There is a thread here, on that same topic...now if I could find it, this was a helpful response...:wacko:

I´m going to the sauna now and then, and my hair is usually in a wet braid then.

Gothic Lolita
December 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
No remember that thread... but the search doesn't like me. It seems like only once in a year I get a helpful result out of it. too bad that i already had one this year. :(

Awalia
December 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
I think sauna is too hot for deep treatmens, i have finally learned that after many many times of burning conditioner and oils in to my hair. You should just cover your hair with towell or old hat, so that the heat wont damage your hair, and do the conditioning afterwards. You can trust me, it's not nice when conditioner starts to smoke in your hair while you are in sauna!

Gothic Lolita
December 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks so much, I really wanted to do that. and with you being from Finland, I gladly take the advice!

Nizhoni
December 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Here are two threads:
Sauna (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14239)
Sauna (scared to go...) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10836)
Hope that helps.

When I'm in the sauna I try to keep my hair wet and wear a (wet) "sauna-hat" (http://www.bastukallan.se/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/56a9b3085f64bfa485630adfcfda5052.jpg) :D for protection. I also use the hat if I have a conditioner or treatment in my hair during sauna, it works very well for me. :)

Shufro
December 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I used to do hair treatments in the sauna and my hair got baby soft.. The trick is to not get stuck in there for to long just let the treatment to last for maximum 15 minutes. Or else it might get damaged.

burns_erin
December 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I would stick with humectants if it is a wet sauna.

If it is a dry sauna avoid humectants at all costs.

Vampire
August 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yay, finally i got help from the search, I'm also a finnish girl and was wondering about sauna and hair, and i mean the REAL sauna not a steamroom :p

I have never had anything on my hair or head when i go to sauna, baaaaaad me

I also did google search and there was a site that was good for hair and sauna, but it was in finnish, But it said that u should have DRY hair when u go to sauna and a DRY towel and if u have some products in your hair u should wash it out and wear a WET towel with all the excess water squeezed out, It also had reasons why this way, but my english isnt that good :)

LouLaLa
August 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Sauna is brilliant for hair! I use oilve oil. I cant get enough of the sauna its fantastic!

Othala
August 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM
The much-maligned steamroom is much better for a deep treatment IMO. For Finnish sauna, I apply conditioner to wet hair, pop on a thin plastic shower cap and then wrap my head in a towel turban to protect my hair from the intense, dry heat.

glossyshine
August 1st, 2010, 04:04 PM
I think sauna is too hot for deep treatmens, i have finally learned that after many many times of burning conditioner and oils in to my hair. You should just cover your hair with towell or old hat, so that the heat wont damage your hair, and do the conditioning afterwards. You can trust me, it's not nice when conditioner starts to smoke in your hair while you are in sauna!

It amazes me that conditioner in a sauna made your hair smoke! My natural inclination in spas is to protect my hair with conditioner.

I don't spend more than a few minutes at a time in a sauna, but I would never have worried before I read your post, and I would have just slathered on whatever conditioner was handy. Are there other people on LHC who've had experiences like this? Can you post if you have? I'm very curious.