PDA

View Full Version : Protective hair styles.

kaaatie
December 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I get so much breakage on my just-past-shoulder-length hair, what can I do to help prevent this? My hair is also prone to tangling, would bunning be an answer? I'm a total beginner at this because usually I love wearing my curly hair down. But I've decided hair health is more important!

Please recommend any styles that willl be good for hair uring the daytime, and protective sleeping styles.TIA!

Darkhorse1
December 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Do you have fine hair? My friends who have very fine hair find tangles a real problem. They opt for using products to help make more 'slip' in the hair, but that's your call. I think bunning or a loose braid should help. Good luck--your hair looks great! :)

Elphie
December 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hi kaaatie! Welcome! What's your haircare routine like?

My first guess would be that the hair brushing up against your shoulders, daily, might be causing the breakage. Wearing it up more frequently would certainly cut down on that.

For sleeping, I find a simple braid works for me.

Curlsgirl
December 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Any updo that would keep the hair in place and especially cover the ends would be great. At your length I really liked a french twist or a french braid tucked under and pinned. If you don't know how to do these styles it is really worth learning how. Shoulder length is a bad time to get damage since the ends brush the tops of the shoulders so much. At night, I don't do updos (can't stand them, just flip my hair over the satin pillowcase) but a simple braid would be good if you can stand it. Some people also gather their hair on top of the head and pony it with a scrunchy. If you don't have a satin pillowcase, invest in one. Fine hair is more easily tangled but these things will help a lot.

Gaelic Girl
December 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi Kaaatie and welcome! We have similar hair and while I've been wearing it up much more since joining LHC almost two years ago, I'd have to say that three things have made all the difference:

1) I pretty much only CO now (conditioner only, no shampoo); and
2)oil with coconut oil once a week;
3) I quit using harsh plastic pick combs and only use a seamless horn comb and/or a boar's bristle brush on occasion.

Have a good look around. There are loads of threads on maintaining curly hair that should answer most of your questions and some you didn't know you had. ;)

Good luck! :flowers:

spidermom
December 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
A top-of-head ponytail or scrunchie bun works best for sleeping. The only hair styles I remember from that length were twisting up the back and securing with a claw clip (the peacock twist) or doing a french twist with a decorative comb and bobby pins.

kaaatie
December 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies. My current routine involves washing 3 x a week, mainly because if I leave it for more than 2-3 days my tangles get too bad and then when I come to comb it out I get breakage. I use HE products, usually Kerastase. I often use Philip Kingsley Elasticiser as a pre-shampoo treatment, and sometimes sleep with a deep conditioner in. I also experimented with jojoba oil but got a couple of breakouts on my scalp and forehead. I use aphogee once every 6 weeks. I've just begun taking biotin, kelp and omega-3s, and drinking protein shakes as I'm vegetarian.

The worst thing I do to my hair is colour it every 6 weeks. Occasionally - like 15 times in a year - I straighten it with GHDs but I use a very effective heat protectant. Again occasionally, more like 4 times a year, I backcomb, so I guess I do abuse my hair! I find I get quite a lot of shedding from stress and soooo much breakage every time I brush.

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies. My current routine involves washing 3 x a week, mainly because if I leave it for more than 2-3 days my tangles get too bad and then when I come to comb it out I get breakage. I use HE products, usually Kerastase. I often use Philip Kingsley Elasticiser as a pre-shampoo treatment, and sometimes sleep with a deep conditioner in. I also experimented with jojoba oil but got a couple of breakouts on my scalp and forehead. I use aphogee once every 6 weeks. I've just begun taking biotin, kelp and omega-3s, and drinking protein shakes as I'm vegetarian.

The worst thing I do to my hair is colour it every 6 weeks. Occasionally - like 15 times in a year - I straighten it with GHDs but I use a very effective heat protectant. Again occasionally, more like 4 times a year, I backcomb, so I guess I do abuse my hair! I find I get quite a lot of shedding from stress and soooo much breakage every time I brush.

With your hairtype which is almost like mine, you DO NOT NEED TO BRUSH!!! This is very damaging and will cause breakage. Do you only color the roots or do you do it all over? If it is permanent color you should only do the roots and never overlap or bring the color through to the ends. Use a smooth wide tooth comb instead of a brush and work gently from the ends up in small sections treating it like fine antique lace. It will take some time to see improvement but it will pay off especially as it grows longer. :flower:

Oh and a straight iron that often is not good no matter what kind of heat protectant you use.