PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else avoid entering makeover contests? LOL

naomimcc
March 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I purposely don't enter them for fear of winning...cuz if you win ... it automatically means changes to hair. LOL. Anyone else like this?

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
If I were to enter and win one, they better not touch the hair.. people will get scalped if they do :lol:

Xandergrammy
March 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I never enter for exactly that reason. They'd end up hurting my feelings and I don't want that. :nono:

Unofficial_Rose
March 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm sure I'd be cut and blow-dried to within an inch of my life.:)

As for my clothing, well, I have often s******ed at what Trinny and Susannah would have to say about some of my outfits. :p:laugh:

Unofficial_Rose
March 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Ooh just let me add - the S-word that was blanked out was just another way of saying "laughed" - nothing disgusting, just so you know. Just like saying "S****horpe" (town in UK which you can cut a rude word from, American peeps ;))

Patrycja
March 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
No.I need one so bad dealing with my outfit choices but no.I do not want to be dyed and cut.And they never ever listen when someone tells them that.

T.V needs a long-haired friendly makeover show.

intothemist1999
March 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Ummm, it never occurred to me TO enter a make-over contest!! *lol*

A few years ago, my stylist said I should enter this thing that was going on with free professional hair cuts/styles for part of a conference or something. She said they'd love my "virgin" hair!

I was thinking, "Uhhhh, NO, YOU can't figure out how to cut off an INCH, why would I trust my whole head to some stranger?!"

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Ooh just let me add - the S-word that was blanked out was just another way of saying "laughed" - nothing disgusting, just so you know. Just like saying "S****horpe" (town in UK which you can cut a rude word from, American peeps ;))

:lol: *tries to puzzle WHAT the words were* :lol:

Xanthippe
March 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I don't think I would trust someone else to make me over anyway. I may not have an eye for fashion in general, but I know what I like to wear.

:lol: *tries to puzzle WHAT the words were* :lol:

I finally figured them out I think. It took me a few minutes :lol: The town rhymes with Spunthorpe and the laughter synonym rhymes with spiggered.

Unofficial_Rose
March 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I don't think I would trust someone else to make me over anyway. I may not have an eye for fashion in general, but I know what I like to wear.

I finally figured them out I think. It took me a few minutes :lol: The town rhymes with Spunthorpe and the laughter synonym rhymes with spiggered.

haha! You got it! :cheese:

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM

I already knew the laughter synonym, and it describes my reaction to the town's name, because I'm immature like that ^_^ Especially seeing as my friend and I theorise that said word is used more in Britain than in North America.

ETA: to actually say something on topic, even when I was younger I didn't like that they always cut off and coloured people's hair in those makeovers, ergo I wouldn't have wanted to enter one even there.

atlantaz3
March 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It wouldn't occur to me to enter. I never win anyway. If I were to win there would have to be an out clause that they couldn't touch my hair! My face probably wouldn't be to happy to be spackled either.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I purposely don't enter them for fear of winning...cuz if you win ... it automatically means changes to hair. LOL. Anyone else like this?

Scratching my head......why would I need a makeover???:confused::confused::confused:

My hair isn't going to get changed - anyone coming at me with scissors & a blowdryer would come away with bloody stumps.

I couldn't possibly care less about makeup.

I shop at thrift stores.

Oh......okay.....yeah, I see why I probably need a makeover (except for the hair....sheesh!).:o

Anje
March 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Never really wanted to enter one of those contests anyway. They just make you up to conform to their idea of how you should look. I have my own ideas of how I should look, thankyouverymuch, and I really don't care if they don't conform. In fact, I prefer it.

Euphony
March 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Scratching my head......why would I need a makeover???:confused::confused::confused:

My hair isn't going to get changed - anyone coming at me with scissors & a blowdryer would come away with bloody stumps.

I couldn't possibly care less about makeup.

I shop at thrift stores.

Oh......okay.....yeah, I see why I probably need a makeover (except for the hair....sheesh!).:o
No need for you to have a make over my dear! You are absolutely beautiful as it is.

I fully understand where you're coming from - I adore thrift shops! I get some of the niftiest clothes there.

I'm sure someone, somewhere would LOVE to give me a make over; probably as much as I'd love to give them a bloody nose :luke: (YEAH I finally found a use for that smilie!!)

jojo
March 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I never enter for exactly that reason. They'd end up hurting my feelings and I don't want that. :nono:

hurt your feelings, id swim over there and sort them out!:luke:

Sarahmoon
March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I don't enter them because I don't need a make-over:p

People who are so disgusted by the way I look are free to admire themselves in the mirror :)

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I don't enter them because I don't need a make-over:p

People who are so disgusted by the way I look are free to admire themselves in the mirror :)

Hehehe! Of course, people who are disgusted by your appearance may not see anything good in the mirror, either xD

Kirin
March 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Some people in makeover shows and such look great afterward. My problem isnt JUSt the hair (which is a huge part of it, always lopping it off)....

They are so busy telling women they are frumpy and all that.. and dress them up, wanting heels and nice clothes, but never account for that this woman they are dressing up probably has to go home and scrub toilets.

Carolyn
March 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
People who are so disgusted by the way I look are free to admire themselves in the mirror :) :D Good one! I've never considered entering one. I don't want my hair changed and would have to decline, so no reason to enter. However I'd love to see what the make up and fashion part would be. If I didn't like it, my face can be washed and clothes takes off :p cut off hair can't be glued back on.

Hypnotica
March 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I would never ever be a part of such nonsense. I don't need to be altered to fit in what society thinks I can and can not wear.

girlcat36
March 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
No, I would never enter one. I do not like getting 'made-up', and I have never found anyone who could do anything with my hair. so I guess I would be scared. :blueeek:

AquaViolet1973
March 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM

I would never enter a makeover contest, either. I know they would want to cut my hair, and I am not willing to do that.

WavyGal
March 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I hate makeover contests and tv shows. I think it is wrong to tell people what to wear or how to style their hair. I wear what I want and nobody is going to take away that from me.

sapphire-o
March 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I only need a makeover for my wedding. Fancy hair sprayed all stiff, full makeup and fancy clothes. Oh that already happened 10 years ago I suppose. :D So I don't need it any more. Besides, do they really expect us with jobs and kids and household chores to keep up with all those procedures everyday?

florenonite
March 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm a student. I stay up far too late, either with friends or on LHC, roll out of bed shortly before a lecture, chuck my hair in a cinnabun, get dressed, possibly eat, and go. I don't do makeup, proper hairstyling, or even put much thought into my outfit. Does it match? Is it clean(ish)? Perfect! I would kind of like a makeover just to see what it looked like (provided everything was reversible, therefore hair cut/colour would be off-limits, though it would be nice to see if they could do a cool style in it), but I wouldn't want something I'd be expected to replicate.

prosperina
March 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
There's make over contests? :confused: Boy, I must live in a bubble. I mean I know there's the stuff on TV....but can't think of any other situations. No one's ever offered. They would be turned down though.

Oh, I guess there was the woman on campus with a curling iron. I'm not sure why she was there ...there's always people on campus. She gestured to me, and I scowled back. I hate curling irons.

MadHatter
March 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't go for make overs. And I hope I never end up on What Not To Wear. Poor Nick would have a hell of a time with me :p

Lixie
March 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'd hate to win a makeover. I can't stand people poking at my face with itty bitty brushes and pushing my head around, it just makes me want to whack them. :lol: I'm not into fashion either, it's too much effort.

royalscorpio
March 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I looked at a couple of entry forms... one of the questions often is, would you be willing to drastically change your hair. Heck no! And yes, I avoid make over contests because I know they'd want to chop my hair at LEAST to shoulder length. I had my hair tucked in my coat last month and someone at work asked me if I had cut my hair. I said no, and she went on to tell me that my hair looked so CUTE shoulder length. Seems it looked like it was at a bob!

alys
March 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I saw one on TLC (i think) and this girl was a long hair and she made it VERY clear that they were not to cut. They did cut, but only talked her into an inch or two, or maybe some layers, I cant recall. But she did keep her length.
I would never enter a makeover contest regardless - I dont want to be seen on TV with people ravaging my home and closets, insulting my lifesyle and in general just making me feel like there is something wrong with the way I am/look now.

ed for sp

wintersun99
March 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
hmm, I know that I would not likely "choose" to enter a makeover contest, because I'm tight w/my personal information and I wouldn't want to give it out. That said, I definately wouldn't mind someone giving me $5000 for a new wardrobe and I also wouldn't mind a makeup lesson or two. In fact, my mum and I have an appt. for a "mineral makeup" make-over this weekend. I think the idea of a make-over, an update, a new lesson after years of doing the same thing, call it what you will - but I like that I can choose to learn new things and change up what I may have been doing for a long time, it's not at all a bad idea... :)

naomimcc
March 25th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I love the answers here...it's funny cuz the reason I asked was cuz there's a website I frequent and it always has a 'win a makeover' contest thingy for loreal or clinique or whathaveyou. I never click to enter. Just in case....LOL

addikted
March 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I think those sort of makeovers by l'oreal or clinique mean just a make-up session. I doubt it would involve anything like cutting your hair. But be prepared to sit at the counter where everyone can see you. Not my cup of tea but go ahead and try it.

Alaskanheart
March 26th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I wouldnt sign up for a makeover contest because I dont need one, I can look nice when it is appropriate and look well groomed yet comfortable when Its appropriate, and I can wear pajamas all day when I am at home scrubbing toilets and taking care of the hobbits if I want to.Im a big girl, and I will wear what I want, and look how I want.

I think they just embarrass the contestants and make them feel stupid on those shows...I dont like people who talk down to me, I have issues with authority, even "style" authorities.

Hair cutting is the least of it.

Arashi
March 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I don't want to enter one anyway. I don't need random people that I don't know trying to make me look "acceptable" in the conformist fashion world. I like the clothes I wear, the way I do my makeup, and my hair (aside from the length-starting over) just fine as it all is now. I will always prefer my style to be dark and elaborate as opposed to whatever it is that is popular in the fashion world. Always. P:

Merewen
September 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'd never sign up for a makeover contest. But I have this running fantasy where I win one anyway and then I tell them off when they try to cut off my hair or throw away the clothes I like to wear. Don't you DARE come near me with those scissors or that straightener!

eresh
September 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I don't want a makeover so yeah, I avoid those contests :p
I'd rather win a good dvdbox :D

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
I ignore makeovers because I'd rather my style represent me personally, not the taste of some person who doesn't even know me. My idea of pleasing to the eye is not the norm, and I doubt I'd ever get "made over" in a way that I'd enjoy looking. Or in a way that I'd take the time or money to keep up!