PDA

View Full Version : Here’s a 45 year old with braided piggytails...

Igor
December 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
…And she’s looking great with it!

Nicolette Sheridan (http://theskinnywebsite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/nicolette_sheridan_1_wenn2195565.jpg)

Also Nicolette Sheridan (http://theskinnywebsite.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/nicolette_sheridan_2_wenn2195566.jpg)

:cheese:

(Nicolette Sheridan)

Samara Morgan
December 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Wow she does look good with them! :grin: I'm sure this is proof that twin braids look great at any age :agree:

Paniscus
December 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Of course, it certainly doesn't hurt that she has that smokin' hot bod to go with those braids, eh? I think this is a cute look for anyone at any age. Or body type :)

lora410
December 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, she pulls them off beautifully!!!!

manderly
December 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I don't think they'd go over so well on a dumpy housefrau in a housecoat with no makeup though ;)

DarkChocolate
December 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
they look so cute on her:)

neon-dream
December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
These really don't suit me :(!
I wish they did, they're so cute.
I might take a pic of my hair in some, to show you how jealous I am that a 45 year old can pull them off and I can't! haha

heidihug
December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I don't think they'd go over so well on a dumpy housefrau in a housecoat with no makeup though

What Manderly said. Hee :p. Though, to be fair, Nicolette's (that is NS, right?) "pigtails" are not really what I would consider pigtails. I always think of true pigtails as being banded, originating and hanging down above the ear (like what little Buffy had on Family Affair, back in the '60's). NS just has a pair of braids originating low and ending behind her ears. JMO, of course, the definition of pigtails probably varies greatly by region and country.

girlcat36
December 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I love twin braids, and I'm 43! I plan to keep on wearing them until I'm old and grey!

Unofficial_Rose
December 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Not the average 45 year old, though, is she* :D

*Oh, to look like NS!

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
I think twin braids are an acceptable look for any age, although I wouldn't start mine above my ears or add a bow. There are a lot of options.

Curlsgirl
December 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I really always thought she was pretty but even though I am probably in the minority here, I really don't like the braids on her. I like them on some people though no matter what age. Just don't think they suit her. :shrug:

goldenwaves
December 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
These don't look good on me, and I'm 16! Although, if I make them REALLY messy they look sort of OK. Braided pigtails just make me look younger, and because I look young as it is, that's not a good thing!

DecafJane
December 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Pauley Perrette (Abbie) from NCIS completely rocks the true piggytail style, but Nicolette also looks okay in twin braids. :D

skay
December 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
…And she’s looking great with it!

<snip photos>

:cheese:

(Nicolette Sheridan)

She's definitely rockin' those braids!

Cute style on her!

(Note: I've always been partial to the 2 braid look in general)

Lady Lilya
December 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
I really always thought she was pretty but even though I am probably in the minority here, I really don't like the braids on her. I like them on some people though no matter what age. Just don't think they suit her. :shrug:

I think it has to do with her jawline. It looks more pronounced with a long, straight line parallel to it.

Lady Lilya
December 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I don't think they'd go over so well on a dumpy housefrau in a housecoat with no makeup though ;)

I could see it. What hair style do you think would look best on that person?

Tressie
December 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
I think her braids look great, but I think she'd also look pretty good bald! LOL!! (o:

manderly
December 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I could see it. What hair style do you think would look best on that person?

:shrug: I didn't meant they'd look bad, just no where near as good on her :)

I'm rocking a 1 side braid right now. I've got the dumpy down....perhaps even the hausfrau. I only need a housecoat to perfect the look ;)

sahiba
December 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
I think her braids look great, but I think she'd also look pretty good bald! LOL!! (o:

:laugh: You bet she would. With her sexy figure and skin I think she'll carry anything beautifully.

Cinnamon Hair
December 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Off topic, but the website her photos are posted on is rather disturbing.
http://theskinnywebsite.com/site/

Ryanne
December 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think the braids look fine.

Aditi
December 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
She really looked good in those braids.

Nat242
December 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM

Very disturbing. I wish I hadn't looked.

jessie58
December 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Well to be fair, she could rock the bald look too.

Katze
December 2nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Am I the only one who does not find this woman at all attractive? Sure, the hairdo is fine, but overall she looks rather scary and haggard. I'm sorry, but the overly skinny look is something that, to me, beyond a certain age starts to look very unattractive.

Sorry, but I was a bit disturbed by the lack of any other critical opinions. Maybe I am the only one who doesn't follow celebrities and their gossip, but I just find all these people rather inauthentic and not worth my time...

Tabitha
December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
even though I am probably in the minority here, I really don't like the braids on her. I like them on some people though no matter what age. Just don't think they suit her. :shrug:

Am I the only one who does not find this woman at all attractive? Sure, the hairdo is fine, but overall she looks rather scary and haggard. I'm sorry, but the overly skinny look is something that, to me, beyond a certain age starts to look very unattractive.

Sorry, but I was a bit disturbed by the lack of any other critical opinions. Maybe I am the only one who doesn't follow celebrities and their gossip, but I just find all these people rather inauthentic and not worth my time...

Agreeing with you both in part - I don't think she looks at all attractive, I think she looks "hard" and also "trying too hard". And I think the braids on her look rather ridiculous.

Had been keeping my opinion to myself on the grounds of "if you can't say anything good ..." :rolleyes:

Katze
December 2nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
I think she looks "hard" and also "trying too hard".

What we call in my family 'rode hard and put away wet.' :shudder:

DecafJane
December 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
What we call in my family 'rode hard and put away wet.' :shudder:

My laptop is lucky that I had already swallowed my water when I read that. Very funny! :D

No money in the world would be worth the kind of scrutiny she would have to put up with.

Tabitha
December 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
No money in the world would be worth the kind of scrutiny she would have to put up with.

I have no idea who this woman is :confused:

bunnii
December 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM

I was thinking the same thing :? although the piggytails do suit her :)

Jason
December 2nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I think she looks fantastic - wow!

Curlsgirl
December 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Very disturbing. I wish I hadn't looked.Ugh! I agree!!!

Sorry, but I was a bit disturbed by the lack of any other critical opinions. Maybe I am the only one who doesn't follow celebrities and their gossip, but I just find all these people rather inauthentic and not worth my time...If you read the comments on the site about her you would find out you are not indeed alone.

What we call in my family 'rode hard and put away wet.' :shudder::laugh:

Hatsumomo
December 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
She suits them but they sure as hell aren't real:)

mellie
December 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM
The Skinny website is very disturbing and sad. Since Twiggy it seems, that it what is considered beautiful. It is so unhealthy though - look at their arms and legs!!! There is nooooo muscle tone AT ALL!! It is just skin over bones...not very pretty in my old-fashioned eyes - here's what a real woman should look like!

http://www.daddyos.com/retro/img/so20.jpg

I think the gentlemen would agree? :-)

P.S. I do think that double braids are very cute though no matter what age!

Igor
December 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sheesh! I posted these because I know a lot of people feel that certain hairstyles are “inappropriate” at a certain age. I posted to show that some people can in fact look great in that style. I posted from that particular website because that was the best pictures I could find

But what does this thread end in? “This website is inappropriate” “Skinny girls are inappropriate!”

How very ironic!

Again a well meant thread is ruined

I request this thread is not only locked, but deleted

:rolleyes:

sahiba
December 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
I have no idea who this woman is :confused:

Actually, neither do I... I liked her picture and the hair style and commented on it.

Radulfr
December 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
The Skinny website is very disturbing and sad. Since Twiggy it seems, that it what is considered beautiful. It is so unhealthy though - look at their arms and legs!!! There is nooooo muscle tone AT ALL!! It is just skin over bones...not very pretty in my old-fashioned eyes - here's what a real woman should look like!

I think the gentlemen would agree? :-)

P.S. I do think that double braids are very cute though no matter what age!
I would certainly agree! The Twiggy look went out years ago, IMO.

I also think the double braids would look a lot better with a dress, more than with a pantsuit. JMO.

p.s. I didn't look at that other site.

Vitalai
December 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Those braids are nice! I almost never see an adult wearing them.

here's what a real woman should look like!

http://www.daddyos.com/retro/img/so20.jpg

So, all "real" woman must have curves and a body like that? How do you define "real" anyways? I know women whose bodies look nothing like that, though I'm sure they're as much of a woman as the one in the picture you posted, if not more.

Elphie
December 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hear, hear, Vitalai! Real women come in a variety of shapes and sizes!

Nat242
December 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Sheesh! I posted these because I know a lot of people feel that certain hairstyles are “inappropriate” at a certain age. I posted to show that some people can in fact look great in that style. I posted from that particular website because that was the best pictures I could find

But what does this thread end in? “This website is inappropriate” “Skinny girls are inappropriate!”

How very ironic!

I disagree with the "real women have curves/thin women aren't real" sentiment expressed above (being naturally fairly thin myself and a little by the aforementioned attitude), but I maintain that the website the photos were hosted on was disturbing and a bit sad. That hardly means the thread is ruined.

That's no reflection on you, Igor, and it is nice to see women defying the ordained hairstyle for their age group, and I appreciate you posting those pictures.

ETA: Seriously, Igor, I wasn't having a go at you. I'm sorry you feel that way, I really am.

Nat242
December 3rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Hear, hear, Vitalai! Real women come in a variety of shapes and sizes!

I concur. I'm as real as they get but I don't look like that.

mellie
December 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Sorry, Igor, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I do think double braids are way cute and appropriate for any age.

But I think it is appropriate to comment on the Skinny website, and websites like it, that delight in very anoxeric-looking celebrities. I think that it sends a terrible image to girls.

And I wasn't trying to say that ALL women have to have curves to be women; but it is something that most women have - and shouldn't try to kill themselves to get rid of.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I like double braids!

Katze
December 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM
I apologize, Igor, I wasn't having a go at you at all but at that picture, which I personally found scary. It actually reminded me of a friend of mine who is 48 years old and has changed, in her 40s, into that kind of look as well as a kind of behavior (superficial, mainstream) that goes with that look. The picture reminded me a lot of this friend, who I can't even hang out with any more, and made me sad that so many women do that to themselves - by which I mean is a look that I find cheap and ugly. Nothing to do with the weight, though I personally think ten pounds would suit this lady better than bleached blonde hair and hipbone-showing pants.

After looking at that pic and thinking about why it upset me so, I saw several women of a similar age in town who were sporting this very look - overtanned, showy, bleached blonde - which just makes me feel depressed. It's a look that I think comes from celebrities, Hollywood, etc. and is one that I personally will never get used to.

So it hit a nerve for me, and maybe for others, too. But sorry for upsetting you. :flower:

SHELIAANN1969
December 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
I think she looks cute, what the heck, if she can pull it off that's cool.

Now, about real women, there are many shapes, sizes, colors, styles, attitudes etc. that make up the lovely specimen we call *Woman* hell, some *Real Women* that are much more in tune with their female side, weren't even BORN female, so, it's kind of difficult to define a real woman in one picture or a few words.

Now me, I am NOT a skinny woman, yes I know, it's a shock to you all, there is a skinny woman inside of me screaming to get out, but I find that I can usually quiet her down with a cookie. HA HA HA

I used to be thinnner when I was young, oh the days of being able to eat junk food and my metabolism was fantastic at that time!

I have a friend who used to be rail thin in her younger years and is now a *tad bit* heavy due to medications.

I have friends who used to be really heavy and are now thin.

I have friends that have always been skinny and I have friends that have always been on the heavy side. To me, I love them all equally, no matter how they were, what they have become and what their size and shape is now.

I do not care if their teeth aren't perfect, if their shape isn't perfect, if their skin isn't flawless and if they aren't beauty queen look alikes. :) I love them all, just they way their creator intended for them to be -- as they are. :flower:

Now that said, the women in my family tend to be, rather chunky, but oh well, there are people who like chunky girls and people who like thin girls, fancy that, it all works out in the end!

I wish we all wouldn't be so hung up on looks, weight, style etc etc etc, what a superficial, shallow world it would be if we all felt that way.

Sigh..........I still have the desire that I could be the way I was in high school, but alas, I cannot, so I will accept who I am, and it's a pretty cool chick if you ask me! :D

Radulfr
December 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
It seems to me what mellie meant by "real women" were those women who are accepting their natural shapes, not starving themselves to meet the anorexic-thin media ideal, as Calista Flockhart was rumored to be doing. Truly there are real women in all shapes and sizes. :flower:

mellie
December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, that's what I meant - thank you for putting it so well! :-)

Lady Lilya
December 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
I've always been skinny to the point of being accused of being anorexic throughout childhood.

Well, always with one exception. While I was pregnant I gained 50lbs. I was 117 before I got pregnant. 50 extra pounds on me looked really huge. And they recommend these days, what, 20lbs? If I had an obstetrician, he/she would have probably been really freaked out that something was wrong.

But back to Nicolette Sheridan....

I just LOVE how differently this thread developed on our Long Hair forum compared to if it had been on a mainstream forum. They would have said something like "she put her hair in a little girl hair style to avoid looking old." Here, we immediately accepted that hairstyle as fine for her age, and set about discussing other issues. We should be so grateful to have a community that is tolerant of all hairstyles on all people.

mellie
December 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Haha, yes, that's totally true!

I love the community here! :-)

Cinnamon Hair
December 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM

How very ironic!

Same here, as a few other people stated above me. I wasn't trying to bash you, Igor, or ruin the thread. I just happened to read the web address when I opened the photo link and was taken aback. It is a rather disturbing site, no offense meant to you. :flowers:

Katze
December 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It seems to me what mellie meant by "real women" were those women who are accepting their natural shapes, not starving themselves to meet the anorexic-thin media ideal, as Calista Flockhart was rumored to be doing. Truly there are real women in all shapes and sizes. :flower:

A MEN! On behalf of my friends who can't gain weight if they try, on behalf of too-tall gals and those who are less than well endowed in the chest and those with big behinds or big noses or tiny feet - and ALL other women who feel bad about themselves - why should we have unrealistic and unhealthy media images bombarding us every moment.

Accepting who you are is a good step on the road to mental health. When I look at the picture of Nicollette Sheridan (I still have no idea who this is, and don't really care) or when I think about my friend A. who is striving for this look even more the older she gets, I see women who are conforming to some perceived 'ideal' that is in many ways destructive.

But there is nothing at all wrong with braids on women at any age! My goal is to have long silver hair and wear it in different kinds of (long, thick!) braids.

DecafJane
December 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I actually prefer the twin braid look on some people much more than the single braid! It is playful and fun.

And I am a "too-tall" woman with curves, who plans to beat anybody around the ears with my super-long twin braids should they ever take issue with any part of my appearance. :D

Chrissy
December 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Heck with the hair, I want her body! I am however not willing to do what she did to get it.

zift
December 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Uuum well I don't think it suits her at all, and she's far away from being a rolemodel for anything. :rolleyes:

BTW is deleting threads appropriate?

Anne~
December 4th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Nooo Katze I am sure you are not the only one who does not find this woman attractive. But, because this forum discourages negative comments so much many people are afraid to voice their true opinions for fear of being banned. From what I have observed it goes, if you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all.

I truly agree with you, if the picture was from the bottom of her braids up it would not be so bad but she sure looks like she can use some groceries.

Unofficial_Rose
December 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Uuum well I don't think it suits her at all, and she's far away from being a rolemodel for anything. :rolleyes:

BTW is deleting threads appropriate?

I don't know anything about her, so I'm curious - what is it that she has done? :confused:

DaveDecker
December 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know anything about her, so I'm curious - what is it that she has done? :confused:

Actress... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicollette_Sheridan)

Paniscus
December 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm so confused as to what Sheridan did to get her body or why she isn't a role model. What has she done wrong? Other than being an actress, that is.

I thought she was naturally thin and just took care of herself (eating healthy and exercise)?? If you google her images, she looks pretty healthy to me :shrug:

I still love the braids on her though :cheese: Thanks Igor for posting this thread, it's nice to see older women (regardless of who they are) sporting them!

Unofficial_Rose
December 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Actress... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicollette_Sheridan)

Thanks Dave! She doesn't really seem to have done anything wrong, does she? I was born in W. Sussex, around about the same time. Shame I don't look like that :p.

OK, maybe she's had some "work done". But then , if you've always made a living on your looks, and you get into your 40's, then maybe you feel that your career depends upon it. Not like she's killed anybody, is it? :confused:

DaveDecker
December 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hi Paniscus, Unofficial Rose -- I'm not her defender, and I'm not even terribly aware of what she's done to warrant personal dislike. Any such issues seem beside the original purpose of this thread. Discussions of celebrities always turn out like this. Always.

rockkcor
December 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
A picture from ‘Rapunzel Long Hair Archive’ of Mary Tucker in her 50’s I think:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/rapunzellonghair/rapunzellonghairarchive/stan55.htm

There is no age limit at all I think!