PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of split ends

kaaatie
December 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
When you trim your ends to remove split ends, how much do you need to cut to ensure the split is gone?

Thanks so much if you can help!

jojo
December 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
I always cut about -----> _ this much above the split

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
You will know. Some splits go deeper than they first appear. If you snip the split off and there's still a split, go higher and snip again. Otherwise you're good to go.

peachrose
December 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I do regular S&D sessions, trimming splits and any white ends. Sometimes I notice that the white end continues way up the hair, often several inches... I try to trim until there the end looks normal. I used to heat style, probably using flat iron about 30 times total before I found LHC but have since stopped. I CO, use shampoo bars bi-weekly and only comb.

Any long time members know what this is? The end is not split it's just white tipped, which is obviously damaged but I'm wondering whats going on if it's going up the hair several inches... Most of the white ends I trim are gone once I get the very tip but I've found a few of these, usually it seems to be the coarsest hairs ( I have a real mix).

Any ideas about what is going on with these hairs I'm finding would be great...

marajade
December 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
I do regular S&D sessions, trimming splits and any white ends. Sometimes I notice that the white end continues way up the hair, often several inches... I try to trim until there the end looks normal. I used to heat style, probably using flat iron about 30 times total before I found LHC but have since stopped. I CO, use shampoo bars bi-weekly and only comb.

Any long time members know what this is? The end is not split it's just white tipped, which is obviously damaged but I'm wondering whats going on if it's going up the hair several inches... Most of the white ends I trim are gone once I get the very tip but I've found a few of these, usually it seems to be the coarsest hairs ( I have a real mix).

Any ideas about what is going on with these hairs I'm finding would be great...

The white dot you are seeing is a where the hair has broken off. Its like a tree branch that has broken in the middle. I hope this makes sense. It seems everyone gets them.

NeilTheFuzz
December 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I generally cut about about an inch of hair off at any one time. It's not the most accurate method but it works for me - if any splits are left behind they sort of blend into the rest of my fuzz. :) If you want to do fine sections of hair, I recommend using small finger nail scissors, they are sharp and very precise.

Anje
December 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
It depends on the hair. If it's got a monster branchy split, I take off a lot above it, like 1 cm into what looks like good hair. If it's just got a teeny split at the end of the hair, I take off about the length of a hyphen (which varies with font, but you get the idea).

Depending on your hair, S&D can take a seriously long time. I think I finally got a significant number of splits yesterday, but it took several hours' worth of a long car ride to do it. And my hair is not that thick, and has splits on less than 10% of the ends (and less now).

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM
The white dot is sometimes where the hair overheated and steam burst out through the cuticle.