PDA

View Full Version : Controlling "fringe"

Laila23
December 1st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hello Everyone.

I have a question regarding fringe. I have learned from you all that we should wear our hair in a soft bun or a braid while we sleep to minimize damage. What do you do when you do this but the fringe (longer than chin length) comes out and gets crazy over night.

Thank you very much. :confused::)

Periwinkle
December 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Are you intending to keep this hair shorter, or grow it with the rest?

If you're intending to keep it shorter, then damage is of no concern; after all, it'll just get cut off. It won't necessarily cause that much damage to your hair to leave it loose, but it's still worth putting up.

Ways of securing it, if you're wanting to grow or just want it out of the way:

French braid (or two)
Demi-pomy/caterpillar pony (Pull the top half of your hair back in a pony and secure, then put up as normal. For the 'caterpillar' style, do lots of ponytails - there's instructions in the articles section)
Sleeper clips (the ones that you bend to open and shut)
A quiff (take the shorter hair, braid it, then pull the braid back over your head and either tuck under the rest of the hair or secure with clips)
Twisty roll things (like French braiding, but with 2. Part your hair and then on one side, take two pieces of hair, one above the other. Pull the bottom one over the top one, then add some hair to the new bottom one, then pull it over, then add some etc. etc. There's a great illustration in one of the recent workout threads)
Doubled styles; shorter hair may hold better in double buns or double braids than singles

jojo
December 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
before mine could go back properly, I used to do 5 little twists drawn back, a bit like mini french braids but twists if that makes sense! and secured with mini jaw clips.

Laila23
December 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hi Periwinkle. I was happy to see that you replied. I want to grow it out. Most of my split ends are in this layer. I was so shocked when I looked there...... :/

I have tried half ups and they work better but still it gets crazy.... I will try the caterpillar thing that you recommended!

Thanks!

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM
I twirl them away from my face with wet and lightly gelled fingers. Let's see if I can pull up a picture with the results:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/inside.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/nautilus.jpg
I need a better picture of what that looks like when my hair is up. This is the best I could find.

Laila23
December 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Spidermom is that how you sleep? And also why is your name spidermom? Do you like spiders? :)

I don't mind the fringe in the day time (Well sometimes...) but when I wake up from sleep, it's really scary and crazy............ !!!

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Spidermom is that how you sleep? And also why is your name spidermom? Do you like spiders? :)

I don't mind the fringe in the day time (Well sometimes...) but when I wake up from sleep, it's really scary and crazy............ !!!

No; it's not how I sleep, it's how I tame and style my fringe when I get up in the morning and see that it's gotten all scary and crazy overnight.

Spidermom is a long story involving a foster daughter who stole from me and a spider tattoo with a warning that I'll bite if you mess with my web, and I'm poisonous.

spidermom
December 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
We spiders have been known to eat our young, so beware the spidermom.

Um Enis
December 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
We spiders have been known to eat our young, so beware the spidermom.
:lol:

I love the gel bangs flip thing. Great idea, thanks! Thinking of trying it with aloe!

Katze
December 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I have this too; if I braid for sleep, everything from chin-up comes out giving me a "bob with a tail" by the end of the night (actually not a bad look, it's how I'm wearing my hair today). With layers and different lengths like mine, there is no hairdo in the world that will truly contain all my hair!

The only thing I have found that 1) contains all my hair and 2) doesn't (usually) create kinked ends is to pile it all on top of my head, as close to my hairline as possible, coil it LOOSELY around itself, and hold this with a claw clip. It looks stupid, but it does contain most of my hair for most of the night...