PDA

View Full Version : henna gloss recipe??

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
i dont remember how to make a henna gloss....
also would one of you tell me how a henna gloss's results differ from a regular henna treatment... im getting some light roots coming in so im either going to do a henna gloss or a henna treatment today or tomarrow (i think)
i searched already and i cant find the henna gloss thread... if any of you have photos of henna gloss results VS. henna treatment results that would really be helpful..

icydove
March 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I use 1/4 cup henna paste to 3/4 cup of conditioner, which you could adjust to any 1 to 3 ratio. I apply it for 7-8 minutes to stain my whites a golden color and it gives a reddish sheen to my brown hair. I've never done a full application of straight henna, so I can't give you a comparison.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I use 1/4 cup henna paste to 3/4 cup of conditioner, which you could adjust to any 1 to 3 ratio. I apply it for 7-8 minutes to stain my whites a golden color and it gives a reddish sheen to my brown hair. I've never done a full application of straight henna, so I can't give you a comparison.
does the color fade??

Shell
March 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Here are some gloss recipes: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/

I just did one, but I made it very weak and mild because I have blonde hair and I was looking more for conditioning than color. My recipe was 2 teaspoons of Jamila henna, 1/2 cup of hot chamomile tea, and 1/2 cup of conditioner (added after cooling and dye release--very quickly for Jamila henna).

I only left it on for 30 minutes, and got a shiny strawberry blonde.

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
There's a gloss recipe in the henna article in my siggy :)

I think henna glosses are MORE likely to fade, but with henna I would NEVER bank on it.

icydove
March 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The color does not seem to fade very much on my brown hair. On the white/silver hairs, it seems to fade after about 6 months or so.

Shell
March 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
There's a gloss recipe in the henna article in my siggy :)

I think henna glosses are MORE likely to fade, but with henna I would NEVER bank on it.

I'm sorry--I should have listed your's too! That's where I got my info, I just skipped the lemon 'cause I didn't want dryness. Your herbal coloring page is wonderful!

squiggyflop
March 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM
ok so i decided to henna only my roots this time.... i didnt exactly use a gloss but i did mix in some vo5 conditioner but it was alot more henna than conditioner... i think ill use this method from now on... it was easier than doing my whole head and the conditioner in the mix made it flow out of the squeeze bottle better... (of course i still had to cut off some of the tip to make the hole bigger) i didnt really wait until the henna was brown on the outside (dye release) and i only left it on for an hour but i guess i got good henna because it dyed the roots pretty well... i didnt have the awful dryness i usually get with henna... my roots are flaming though and i cant wait until they turn the same red as the rest of my hair... i got a compliment on the color today while at the orthadontist..

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry--I should have listed your's too! That's where I got my info, I just skipped the lemon 'cause I didn't want dryness. Your herbal coloring page is wonderful!

Damn, is the lemon still listed in there?

/goes to take it out

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Damn, is the lemon still listed in there?

/goes to take it out

Yes, I think so. I'm chicken about lemon because I have dry hair.

I just read through the henna article--wonderful!

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, I think so. I'm chicken about lemon because I have dry hair.

I just read through the henna article--wonderful!

Thanks :D I knew I'd taken it out at one point, but these articles were salvaged from cached versions of the old board, and probably weren't the most up-to-date ones. I still need to get the herbal hair coloring swatches back up too. :o

wintersun99
March 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have taken to glosses as well, mostly because it is less of a hassle and can be done much quicker. I have noticed that glosses tend to fade a bit, mostly at the roots. If I look closely, my layers of henna slowly fade into lighter and lighter color and end at the very closest to the scalp an almost yellow color. Pretty on the grays, but not so pretty on my natural brown as it makes it yellow-mud looking. I am sure it is because there is not a great henna base at the roots. That said, henna glosses are great for condition and do impart color. I have used about 1/4 cup henna to enough conditioner to make enough (hard to guess on the amt.)

Aisha25
March 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I was wondering how would you store the henna gloss if any is left over??

Could your freeze it? Will conditioner or yogurt freeze well? I know henna does.

Aisha25
March 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well it has conditioner in it so would it be ok?

Nightshade
March 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it :shrug:

Celebrian
March 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
My experience with henna and indigo (both together and seperately in gloss form) has shown me that although glosses fade quicker than full strength applications, they will usually become permanent after about the 3rd glossing.

I assume this is due to repeated (if weaker) exposures i.e. three consecutive hendigo glosses may equal one full strength hendigo... or something along those lines. But I could be wrong...

My husband has only ever been 'hendigo glossed' (a couple of times with cassia in the mix = quite a strong yellow tone!) over his salt and pepper light brown hair - and he has retained a high percentage of the henna color, but less of the indigo. So, he has a bronze effect, which is rather sweet (especially as we are growing his hair long ATM!). His mix is typically one teaspoon henna and one teaspoon indigo - into about half a mug of 'cone free conditioner, and left, wrapped, for 30 minutes.

I'm always happy to just pop a quick extra indigo gloss on his/my hair as the month progresses - just to keep too much red at bay. :luke:

MerryKat
October 27th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I did a 4 hour henna gloss yesterday with 1/3 henna (frozen left overs) to 2/3 cone free conditioner.

It has given me a lovely coppery colour to my medium brown hair and even toned down the chemical "red" that did not take properly a week ago.

I plan on doing these glosses monthly as it is easier to apply with conditioner and to wash out and I really like the colour I achieved.

Snorman
January 21st, 2014, 07:05 AM
I'm going to buy some Henna today, and try this gloss thing out.
I have a question though; I'm using castor oil right now (For growth and other stuff), and it is said to darken hair..
Will it ruin my hair color? I Have ginger hair to begin with, and just want to do a Henna Gloss to boost my color, so would the castor oil do something to the color...?

Nightshade
January 21st, 2014, 07:25 AM
Castor oil won't affect the henna color. Oils generally don't change the hair color, any darkening is because the hair is better moisturized (or in some cases over-oiled). You're safe doing a henna gloss :)

browneyedsusan
January 21st, 2014, 07:28 PM
The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it :shrug:

My glosses do that too, but I got around it with xanthan gum.

I thaw the dye-released henna, mix it with conditioner and it wants to separate out and clot up. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum and wisk it well. It should smooth back out and thicken up a little. I go through less henna, get a lighter color, and can control the drips with xanthan gum. (A little xanthan gum goes a long way. The first time I tried it, I put in a tablespoon, and it thickened to jello in my hair! That was exciting/drain clogging to rinse out!) Because of the way xanthan gum binds with the conditioner, you'll have to use some shampoo to get it out. I alternate shampoo and conditioner in the shower and it works just fine.

Snorman
January 22nd, 2014, 05:31 AM
Nightshade, thanks for the answer! I will go on and try this thing as soon as I get my Henna delivered! :D

Snorman
January 22nd, 2014, 05:33 AM
I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?

browneyedsusan
January 22nd, 2014, 05:48 AM
I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?

I usually don't have enough leftovers to mess with.

I dye-release the henna and freeze it up in "doses". Some people use ice cube trays. I don't have one, so I put a spoonful in a bunch of sandwich bags. When you're ready to gloss, thaw the henna, mix with bargain basement condish, and go! I use about 1/4 C henna and 3/4 C conditioner to touch up my roots. (I also add xanthan gum, but many here don't.)

Faraniel
November 13th, 2019, 02:42 PM
I know this is kinda dead but I've just discovered the existence of a henna gloss and now I am hyped. Can anyone help me with a detailed recipe? My main questions are: Can I use cassia in the mixture or is it unnecessary? What kind of conditioner should I use? I watched a video on youtube where the lady said it should be a conditioner without silicones and protein, is that true? Also, how long should I let it sit and then applied on my hair if I want at least some colour and greys coverage? (I know it won't take to the grey immediately but with time I read it should give it some colour)

lapushka
November 15th, 2019, 04:47 PM
I know this is kinda dead but I've just discovered the existence of a henna gloss and now I am hyped. Can anyone help me with a detailed recipe? My main questions are: Can I use cassia in the mixture or is it unnecessary? What kind of conditioner should I use? I watched a video on youtube where the lady said it should be a conditioner without silicones and protein, is that true? Also, how long should I let it sit and then applied on my hair if I want at least some colour and greys coverage? (I know it won't take to the grey immediately but with time I read it should give it some colour)

Always strand test. Don't just go on recommendations from people either, collect your sheds for a couple of weeks, even up to a month, depending on how much you shed. And then test various recipes on the different hair balls. See how you like that.

Don't use your head as a laboratory! A longtime user (whose name I promptly forgot) used to say that; wise words!

Faraniel
November 16th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Always strand test. Don't just go on recommendations from people either, collect your sheds for a couple of weeks, even up to a month, depending on how much you shed. And then test various recipes on the different hair balls. See how you like that.

Don't use your head as a laboratory! A longtime user (whose name I promptly forgot) used to say that; wise words!

Thank you, I wil try on the hair from my brush.

Liz_H
November 23rd, 2019, 05:34 AM
I tried something different with my recent henna gloss, really 2 things.

First, I didn't make a henna mud, simply mixed the powder directly with the conditioner. Second, I used powdered aloe vera for one third of my mix. I used 1 Tbsp each of henna, cassia, and aloe vera. It took maybe 5 minutes to blend the conditioner and powder. Next time I'll warm the conditioner first. The gloss was fairly thick; it took 5 minutes to work through my hair. I chose to dye release right on my hair. I rinsed it off about 6 hours later.

Results - a lovely strawberry blond, with extremely well conditioned hair. The aloe vera is a powerful moisturizer. I've never had as good a result with a SMT or deep conditioner treatment.

And absolutely no drips.

Jane99
January 24th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone! I am perplexed with my henna gloss. Some background... I have hair that goes to the end of my shoulder blades. Naturally an ashy dark blonde. In October I chemical dyed for the first time ever... well I was aiming for darker and she bleached half my head. Anyways November my hubby perma dyed it a light brown for me and I was happy. And of course dyes fade and I don’t want to destroy my hair so I’ve been researching henna. Last weekend I did a full strength mix from Henna Color Lab, it was cassia and henna “ginger blonde”. The result is quite nice, very very subtle red and overall my hair kindof is like the color of gingerbread but blonde. Maybe like a yellower gingersnap cookie. Anyways it’s nice but I figured I’d order some henna and cassia for the roots and glosses. I’d like it a shade redder. So like a dark blondish copper or light brown copper. So I mixed some 2019 Jamila 50/50 with Cassia last night, water, and ACV. Let it dye release overnight and this evening after work did a strand test. Mixed with conditioner for a gloss on one small chunk of hair, 50/50 about henna and conditioner. Left it on for an hour. Rinsed it out and it is like WAY lighter. Maybe it’s the cassia on the gold of my blonde? But it looks bleached. Could the ACV have pulled my 2 month old dye out? Could the henna just not be visible at all and tomorrow it will oxidize and be red and copper and beautiful? I am so perplexed. I know it will darken but like many, I want to avoid having orange hair. I’m looking for a more coppery light brownish red. And I thought you could only go darker with henna? Maybe I should have just done a henna gloss for darker rather than the henna cassia? But want to go slow since theoretically we can only go darker from here. Any thoughts? I saw one other thread from many moons ago with someone reporting the same issue but without a resolution

Jane99
January 25th, 2020, 09:17 AM
OK. I did another strand test and it was ok. I think what happened was I had a small blotch of natural hair where hubby missed some dye and that part started glowing with the gloss.

tulirepo
January 31st, 2020, 08:14 AM

*Shamefully continues to dye without strand testing...*

The most important thing about strand testing is the fact that with henna you can't really know the results without trying the recipe first. Me, being a reckless maniac, refuse to use my time on strand testing because any possible outcome will please me. With henna glosses it's even easier to skip the strand test because it fades and changes a bit on the go. For the past 6 weeks I've had funky orange color and fiery red one, still leading my hair to be fairly brown before the next dye.

But for the recipes: I recommend using dye-released henna (letting the mud sit from 30mins to 6 hours) and mixing it with some cheap conditioner. Anything from 1:1 to 1:4 has worked with me, but if you want a precise outcome, you need to strand test first. I wouldn't bother mixing any food or other things in there, just henna and conditioner, other hair masks can be done perfectly right after rinsing out henna gloss if needed. I prefer doing a hot-oil treatment or SMT right after henna because it dries out my hair a little.

Jane99
February 1st, 2020, 07:45 AM
Strand testing is so tricky!! It ALWAYS looks so different 3 or 5 days later... I want to strand test and then do the application the next day since I have the henna all ready. Needless to say, now that I know henna doesnt turn my hair green or bright orange without coaxing, I did not strand test.
Ended up doing a 2:1 Cassia:Henna strong gloss (6 tablespoons total powder) and let it sit on my head after due release for 3 hours. Used hibiscus tea a teaspoon of cloves (it is amazing how it helps the smell!).
Three hours is the longest I’ve had on my head. Yes perhaps it’s the repeat applications (3rd in 3 weeks) but I think it was the 3 hours on my head that really brought out the red in this application. I finally feel like I have enough red. Still needs to oxidize a couple more days but I am preliminarily happy.
Whoever came up with the idea to use paper towels around the shower cap to catch the drips deserves a gold star and crown. It worked perfectly. Didn’t drive me insane with the water torture dripping for hours.

Jane99
February 1st, 2020, 08:10 AM
So another question... cassia dye is said to last about a month. So, in about a month if theoretically I don’t want redder but I see the goldeny effects of the cassia diminishing, would a straight strong cassia gloss refresh these aspects? What are people’s experiences? Does hennaed hair with a higher cassia ratio get dull in time and is there anything you do to mitigate this?

I’m also curious about senna.... I saw Nighblooming uses a mix of cassia and senna with henna in her beautiful coppery mixes. I would think the stronger yellow dye from Senna would bring out a more intense/brighter copper. Anyone have experiences with using senna rather than cassia in a “maintain the vibrancy” type gloss?

If she ever reads this, Nighblooming, the information that you have shared about henna both on this site and your website is amazing, incredibly helpful, and has helped me make informed decisions about my hair. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. Some day I will buy from your shop!

Soj
February 1st, 2020, 12:36 PM
The Cassia Thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406)

Senna IS Cassia.

Soj
February 1st, 2020, 12:41 PM
*Shamefully continues to dye without strand testing...* <snippage>

*joins tulirepo in shame*

I mean really. My hair is uber dark brown, so dark that when I still thought I should go to them, stylists tried to insist it was black. What isn't super duper dark brown is white, and makes my hair look dingy. ANY shade of red in those greys and whatever red highlights shine out of my uber dark brown hair is going to make me happier.

I'm just not that hard to please, LOL! Of course it helps that it is impossible to turn my whole head bright carroty orange. Those with lighter hair, YMMVS (your mileage may vary signficantly)

Nightshade
February 1st, 2020, 09:17 PM
So another question... cassia dye is said to last about a month. So, in about a month if theoretically I don’t want redder but I see the goldeny effects of the cassia diminishing, would a straight strong cassia gloss refresh these aspects? What are people’s experiences? Does hennaed hair with a higher cassia ratio get dull in time and is there anything you do to mitigate this?

I’m also curious about senna.... I saw Nighblooming uses a mix of cassia and senna with henna in her beautiful coppery mixes. I would think the stronger yellow dye from Senna would bring out a more intense/brighter copper. Anyone have experiences with using senna rather than cassia in a “maintain the vibrancy” type gloss?

If she ever reads this, Nighblooming, the information that you have shared about henna both on this site and your website is amazing, incredibly helpful, and has helped me make informed decisions about my hair. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. Some day I will buy from your shop!

The Cassia Thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406)

Senna IS Cassia.

Yes :) It'd be more accurate to say that cassia obovata is an outdated / erroneous name for Senna italica, but there's more than one Senna. I use two types in my hair colors Senna italica (cassia) and Senna alexandrea. While they both contain Chrysophanic acid (the stuff that makes them stain yellow) I found a source of Senna alexandrea that has a LOT more Chrysophanic acid--it lets me boost and more accurately calibrate the amount of gold.

https://i0.wp.com/nightbloominggarden.com/wp-content/uploads/Cassia-vs-Senna.jpg?resize=768%2C576&ssl=1

Senna italica (cassia obovata) on the left and Senna alexandrea on the right, tested on white mohair for 2 hours

What I've found is that when you do a henna gloss you get the diluted red-orange result, but it's lacking depth. Adding in the senna blend dumps in a ton of golden tones which makes the resulting copper richer and more vibrant. I talk a bit about the whole gloss vs henna + senna blend in this article. (https://nightblooming.com/2018/05/22/fire-genasi-herbal-hair-color-for-natural-looking-ginger-hair/)

And you're very welcome! I made some very stupid decisions early on in my tenure with henna and I sincerely love helping people get it right the first time :)

Soj
February 1st, 2020, 10:24 PM
So how long does a henna gloss typically last? I'm afraid I'm not seeing a huge advantage to a henna-mud-pack if regular applications of a henna gloss or tea, repeated at regular intervals, has largely he same effects ...

Nightshade
February 2nd, 2020, 01:55 AM
So how long does a henna gloss typically last? I'm afraid I'm not seeing a huge advantage to a henna-mud-pack if regular applications of a henna gloss or tea, repeated at regular intervals, has largely he same effects ...

Treat all henna as if it's forever. Some people do get fading, but I wouldn't count on it.

Jane99
February 8th, 2020, 07:12 PM
Thank you Nightshade! It’s all so much information. I appreciate the advice and the experience.
Soj, I think a lot of people prefer the full head henna for the conditioning effects rather than the gloss. I have found the gloss *so* much easier to apply and rinse out. But I wonder if the color dulls faster? Not fades but dulls?
On a side note, for the first time, ever in my life, someone in a parking lot earlier this sunny afternoon, came up to me and told me I have beautiful hair. Glowing like a goldeny red. Inside it looks coppery light brownish. So with me since I have light hair I’m nervous about too much color building up too fast to the point of no return. Although it’s taking self control not to just do a full strength cassia henna application to see if it boosts the red another shade or two. And I dont want to protein overload either.

Nightshade
February 8th, 2020, 07:45 PM
To the last point, henna and senna dont have any protein. Henna binds to the hair protein, like added proteins in conditioners do. So although it isn't a protein, if you have henna occupying those spots you often don't need extra protein in conditioners, so adding lots of protein on top of henna is what can get that protein overload effect---you're putting a protein heavy conditioner on hair that no longer needs it.

Jane99
February 8th, 2020, 08:12 PM
Yes that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. So the henna fills the gaps in the hair and then extra protein on top of the smoother hennaed hair strand would have nowhere to go causing stiffness leading to breakage. To perhaps oversimplify.

Nightshade
February 9th, 2020, 12:23 AM
Yes that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. So the henna fills the gaps in the hair and then extra protein on top of the smoother hennaed hair strand would have nowhere to go causing stiffness leading to breakage. To perhaps oversimplify.

Yes :) While I suspect we're lacking nuance on the molecular level, from a cause-effect standpoint you're correct

Inazina
February 12th, 2020, 04:05 AM
I've tinted my eyebrows with henna last evening and I had about two full tablespoons of henna paste left. So I put it in the fridge and this morning I made it into a gloss. I added glycerin, honey, Maui mask (instead of aloe as I don't have any), Shea Moisture mask, a few pumps of Olaplex no 2 and a few of Stemm Black Fulvic Conditioner. Basically, almost all I had around the house and thought it might be beneficial for my hair. :D This henna I have is Rajasthani Henna with Brahmi, Amla, Shikakai, Jatamasi, Tulsi, Aloe Vera, Bhringraj, Neem, and Hibiscus. Now I covered my head with a plastic cap and my thermal cap and I'm hoping for the best.

Jane99
February 16th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Ok, so I had to do it and see for myself. I used some powdered laxative Senna and compared it to powdered hair Cassia and wow, yes, on my hairballs the Senna was so much yellower than the Cassia! Now I just wonder about the conditioning properties, if they are any different? I did a test hairball of henna too... not scientific, just wanted to see what would happen and then we went fishing for the rest of the afternoon... had a nice result on the henna mix and it was so nice I’m going to go for a full head application next weekend, hopefully get the tone I want. I’ve been building up with glosses but alas, have become impatient. To Inazina, I hope your eyebrows came out nice! As well as the gloss. Do you live in an area that runs heat in the winter? I’m nervous about using too much honey or glycerin for moisture with the dry indoor air... although I did a really nice moisturizing mask from Shea Moisture with manuka honey this morning and my hair is so happy with me...

Nightshade
February 17th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Ok, so I had to do it and see for myself. I used some powdered laxative Senna and compared it to powdered hair Cassia and wow, yes, on my hairballs the Senna was so much yellower than the Cassia! Now I just wonder about the conditioning properties, if they are any different?

They are not different, the yellow color and conditioning in each comes from Chrysophanic acid (https://nightblooming.com/2018/02/06/sedr-senna-henna-herbal-conditioning-properties/).

Jane99
February 18th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Ok, very interesting! You and so many others have shared great hair knowledge on this site! I wish I could see more of the pictures on here... I see maybe 1 in 25 posted photo.... seeing the photos on your site is very helpful and the information is priceless. Thanks Nightshade :)

tulirepo
February 18th, 2020, 05:37 AM
I've tinted my eyebrows with henna last evening and I had about two full tablespoons of henna paste left.

- -

I do the exact opposite! What's left over from my henna mask goes to my eyebrows. But I do quite strong henna glosses (from 1:2 to 1:4 of henna:conditioner ratio) so my eyebrows tint quite well even with only a gloss treatment.

lapushka
February 18th, 2020, 08:50 AM
They are not different, the yellow color and conditioning in each comes from Chrysophanic acid (https://nightblooming.com/2018/02/06/sedr-senna-henna-herbal-conditioning-properties/).

I had no idea! Thanks for sharing that! :D So it actually doesn't matter which "senna" it is you get. Awesome!

Agnieszka108
February 20th, 2020, 08:00 PM
I'm curious if anyone with dark brown hair has used both henna and henna gloss and which they preferred/if the gloss even made much of a difference :)

Jane99
February 20th, 2020, 08:28 PM
I have light hair so can’t share experience but the Cherry Cola thread has tons of info for henna on dark hair! So many pages!

Agnieszka108
February 21st, 2020, 09:07 PM
I have light hair so can’t share experience but the Cherry Cola thread has tons of info for henna on dark hair! So many pages!

Thank you, I will have a look! :)

tulirepo
February 24th, 2020, 01:00 AM
I'm curious if anyone with dark brown hair has used both henna and henna gloss and which they preferred/if the gloss even made much of a difference :)

I prefer gloss! It's way easier to make and apply, the conditioner makes it less drying, washing off is a breeze, doesn't smell as bad, color doesn't stick too much and I can switch my shade every few weeks. Only con is drippiness, but I've worked my way around it.

I've used more red henna and more brown henna, depending on my mood. My henna glosses are kinda strong, from 1:1 to 1:5 with henna:conditioner ratio.

TiffPhares
March 9th, 2020, 02:44 PM
Has anyone done a gloss using indigo in the mix? The henna blend I have been using is 3pts indigo to 1pt henna...so I didn't know if I could use that ratio as a gloss because to be frank, glosses have been my preference before I went a brunette color.

Agnieszka108
January 23rd, 2023, 11:14 AM
I prefer gloss! It's way easier to make and apply, the conditioner makes it less drying, washing off is a breeze, doesn't smell as bad, color doesn't stick too much and I can switch my shade every few weeks. Only con is drippiness, but I've worked my way around it.

I've used more red henna and more brown henna, depending on my mood. My henna glosses are kinda strong, from 1:1 to 1:5 with henna:conditioner ratio.

Thank you! Do you mix the henna directly with the conditioner and let it dye release on your head or do you mix henna with tea or water first to release the dye and then add conditioner?

Another question I have: does anyone have any experience adding apple cider vinegar or fenugreek to their henna gloss mixtures and if so, how did it go? :)