PDA

View Full Version : I have an Avatar!

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I finally put up an avatar! I had this picture in mind but didn't know where DH had archived it. He looked over my shoulder earlier on and remarked that I didn't have an avatar, and disapeared off to the other computor to find it. I'm so glad the pic was how I remembered it! I thought this would be a good opertunity to try starting a thread...I'm a bit of a slow starter at forum-using. Please correct me if I muck it up or post in the wrong place.

The picture was taken in April 2006 at Gokana in India. My DH and I had gone on a 11 month round-the-world trip in 2006 and spent over 4 months in India. It was fantastic...I'd love to go back there again. The hairstick was one I bought in India - a dark wood twist with a snake head. It's still one of my favorites. The flowers are all real - Indian ladies wear flowers a lot. In the south it was unusual to see someone without flowers in their hair! DH bought these for a few rupees - it is 2 strands of small flowers threaded onto thin string. The white ones are jasmine, I've no idea what the orange ones are. We were in the market trying to fix them in when a lovely lady whipped a pin from her own hair to keep it in place. I bent down for her to reach and she pinned it on - large audience by now! We all grinned at each other as neither of us spoke any of the others language. She looked so delighted to have helped! I still have the pin - just a piece of bent wire - in a box with other memories.

Anyone with travel/ hair/ avatar stories to share?

Xandergrammy
November 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's an awesome story! And how lucky are you and your DH to be able to take an around-the-world trip! I'd love to see the detail on that hairstick. It makes for a very pretty avatar. :flowers:

Aisha25
November 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
India is very beautiful place im so glad you got to go spend time there very beautiful flowers and stick:flower:

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
That's an awesome story! And how lucky are you and your DH to be able to take an around-the-world trip! I'd love to see the detail on that hairstick. It makes for a very pretty avatar. :flowers:

Thanks! It might take a bit longer to get more pictures... I lurked for months, then joined and was avatar-less for months...

bettybaker
November 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Oh wow! That's a great avatar story. =) You make me want to travel...

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
India is very beautiful place im so glad you got to go spend time there very beautiful flowers and stick:flower:

I loved it there - everyday was an unforgetable experience. I'd advise anyone to go!

Ryanne
November 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Nice story, it's a very pretty avatar.

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Oh wow! That's a great avatar story. =) You make me want to travel...

Yes Yes!!! do it do it do it. Tomorrow. Or sooner!

ktani
November 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Beautiful avatar and great story to go with it. Thanks for sharing the details. It makes it that much more special.

And even when you had no avatar, the day you got silly with a few of us in Honey, was a special day of laughter for me. Thank you for that too.

BlackfootHair
November 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
That is an awesome story and I am so jealous of your 4 months in India! I always am on a hunt for special Indian hair products, and when I can't find them here I just think how they must be in abundance in India. Plus I'm sure you seen lots of long hair there! I'm so envious! :)

bettybaker
November 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Yes Yes!!! do it do it do it. Tomorrow. Or sooner!

It's not a bad thought. =) I've always thought that I should travel around in my own town to see the things I might be missing; to really explore it. So maybe I can travel tomorrow, even if it's not to somewhere really exotic.

But yes--not everyone has such an inspiring story to go with their avatar; I'm all impressed and stuff.

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Beautiful avatar and great story to go with it. Thanks for sharing the details. It makes it that much more special.

And even when you had no avatar, the day you got silly with a few of us in Honey, was a special day of laughter for me. Thank you for that too.

Some people here have intriging avatars, and I've wondered at the stories behind them. I'm sure there are many that don't look unusual at first glance but have special reasons behind their selection.

I was on a roll that day talking rubbish in the honey thread...lets face it, there's a lot to laugh at in the world of natural beauty treatments. The mess, the loss of dignity...the bizarre collection of stuff from the kitchen that ends up in the bathroom:D

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
That is an awesome story and I am so jealous of your 4 months in India! I always am on a hunt for special Indian hair products, and when I can't find them here I just think how they must be in abundance in India. Plus I'm sure you seen lots of long hair there! I'm so envious! :)

I wish I'd known about Indian haircare when I was there.... I would have bought tons of stuff! I posted home several parcels of amazing saris, beads, insense. Seeking out obscure shops, negociating purchases and the epic experience of dealing with the Indian Postal Service (parcels must be stitched up in cotton and sealed woth sealing wax, documents filled out in triplicate) was all part of the fun!

I really wish I'd thought of experimenting with no washing or WO while I was away as it would have been a good time to go through a weird hair stage. To save carrying to much stuff I just used DH's shampoo - Head and Shoulders 2in1 - nearly everyday! Definatly not the actions of an LHCer! To think that I could have gone no-product or used herbs.....what a wally!

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
It's not a bad thought. =) I've always thought that I should travel around in my own town to see the things I might be missing; to really explore it. So maybe I can travel tomorrow, even if it's not to somewhere really exotic.

But yes--not everyone has such an inspiring story to go with their avatar; I'm all impressed and stuff.

I keep meaning to explore around where I live...But the silly thing is that as I could do it anytime, anyday and so I don't. I lived in London for the first 19 years of my life and I feel like I know some of the places I've stayed for a week better, as I spent a whole week actively seeking things out. Maybe I'll be a local explorer tommorrow too!

jera
November 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
That's a beautiful picture and your hair looks great in that hair stick. :D

Lamb
November 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
What a lovely story. Your avatar is really pretty!!

Friesiangirl
November 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM

I agree, it's on my list of places to go before I die, but since i'm so young, I have plenty of time.

Wonderful picture!

Hayley

magpielaura
November 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
That's a beautiful picture and your hair looks great in that hair stick. :D

Thanks! I love that stick! The spiral makes it hold really well. I would be devastated if I lost it....it's my precious:)

sahiba
December 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
Its a very pretty avatar and a nice style too. What do you call this bun?

winter_star
December 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
What a wonderful story. Your picture is very beautiful and your hair must have smelt great with all those flowers in it. I have been desperatley trying to save to go on a trip to India for some time now. As a matter of fact I even dreamt I was there last night...

magpielaura
December 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM
Its a very pretty avatar and a nice style too. What do you call this bun?

I've no idea! My hair was around BSL then, and is too long now to do it as there is too much of the ends sticking out.