PDA

View Full Version : How many tones can you count?

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have started noticing I have got about 5 different tones in my hair, which i dont know whether is a good or bad thing, i guess i will have to see how it turns out in a few years. years ago when i started growing my hair it was a rich chestnut colour, then i went on holiday and was eager to get the top of my hair blond for some reason, so only let the top bit of my hair have access to sunlight. It got really blond on top and chestnut at the bottom. Now i notice it is turning a darker more ashy colour. So now it is really blond (much blonder on the front sides), chestnut at the bottom, light brown as it goes up, light ash and then darker ash emerging now. Do you guys have variety of colours due to different periods of your life? Does temp/seasonality effect colour in anyway naturally? I am not going to let the harmful sun get anywhere near my hair now lol, im just gonna see how it turns out without the suns help. Not that I want to change my hair colour, but I wonder if foods alter the hair colour in any way? hmm...

Dianyla
November 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe it's just my "English Mutt" heritage :p but I've also got quite a few different colors in my hair. Some of it grows out of my scalp in different colors, but some of the effect is also natural weathering/aging on hairs that are more than 5 years old.

I've seen almost black, deep auburn/chestnut, dark ashy brown, light ashy brown, warm red, cold ash blonde, golden/honey blonde, white platinum blonde, and most recently I've now got some grey/silvers mixed in.

Variety's the spice of life! :cheese:

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've seen almost black, deep auburn/chestnut, dark ashy brown, light ashy brown, warm red, cold ash blonde, golden/honey blonde, white platinum blonde, and most recently I've now got some grey/silvers mixed in.

Wow, the variety of colours must represent the many different unique experiences you have been through, your hair can tell a story of its own.

Dianyla
November 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, the variety of colours must represent the many different unique experiences you have been through, your hair can tell a story of its own.
Maybe, maybe not. I tend to think of myself as a tabby cat. :lol:

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Lol i am sure that has some sort of connotation (if that is the right word-spelling isnt really my fortey), what are tabby cats like?
God Bless :)

PurpleAshes
November 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wow, that sounds fun!
My hair only changes one shade when its longer.. the ends get dark brown while the rest is black

Dianyla
November 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Lol i am sure that has some sort of connotation (if that is the right word-spelling isnt really my forte), what are tabby cats like?

Multi-colored. And friendly. :D

Themyst
November 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
It's always been difficult to determine what color my hair really is because of the various tones. I currently have three or four.

I was born platinum blonde, stayed that way up to about seven or eight years old. Then it darkened to a golden light brown up to the age of about eighteen. After that it became just medium golden brown with red and gold highlights. After having two kids now it has become darker but still has the red and gold tones (mostly red).

My dad is Northern Welsh, he still has jet black hair even though he's in his seventies. My mom is Ukranian-French with sandy brown hair, probably where I got mine from although my sister got the black hair gene.

My hair tones have made me shy away from any henna treatments because of the red that I already have. I just received my cassia order, when I pick up some fenugreek I'm going to do a gloss!

Sarahmoon
November 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have almost every brown-tone from medium/dark brown on the scalp to almost-dark-blonde on the ends (yes, also with clean hair). I wish the ends were more like the scalp.
Maybe in future when I don't have sun- and damage bleached ends anymore?

Nes
November 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Wow I would love to have that kind of variation in my hair!

Thats so pretty to have a Joseph and the technicoloured dream-hair thing going on.

Mine has always been the same colour all over - deepest brown. Although given that my dads family has red hair, it kind of has a reddish/ginger glow to it in the sun.

Nes x

jojo
November 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM
well i have a host of different colours in my hair, chestnut, light browns, white blonds, silver greys (22 that i can see) even the odd black ones in winter I tend to look darker even as a kid my hair would be golden blond in summer and mousy brown in winter, now my hair tends to go a light brown/dark blond in summer with the odd pale streak and more red in winter.

rockkcor
November 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'm kind of getting gray and red at the same time - from crow black trough red, blond, brown up to white...
I wonder why there is no green to go with my hazel eyes :D

marajade
November 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's just my "English Mutt" heritage :p but I've also got quite a few different colors in my hair. Some of it grows out of my scalp in different colors, but some of the effect is also natural weathering/aging on hairs that are more than 5 years old.

I have the same kind of hair, blonde, brown, red and some really dark coarser hairs. I think its my european muttage and I also have native american. :)

NurseMama
November 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
silver greys (22 that i can see)

:D Jojo, I think that it is awesome that you know how many greys you have!

I myself have earmuffs of silver that defy counting. With henna they turn golden.

spidermom
November 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've got some hairs that are so pale and so fine that they have no color, plus palest silver, white, dark blonde, red, milk chocolate brown, even some black, kinky hairs. I once told my DH that the only kind of hair I'd never found on my head was the dark, straight kind. But I've since discovered that I was wrong; I've got hairs like that, too. That is probably why my hair appears to be a completely different color under different lighting conditions. All the possibilities are already there.

Tangles
November 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have everything in the brown spectrum, from almost-blonde to almost-black, but with the majority in the dark chestnut range. Dianyla, that sounds gorgeous--do you put "calico" on your drivers license?

GlassEyes
November 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Currently, there's dark brown (ash toned), reddish-brown, red-black, orange, and burgandy.

The latter two are in the sun, and the first is my natural color. I've reached that point where people started asking me if my hair was purple. xD; Henna.

Nevermore
November 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I have dark red (almost burgundy) hairs, blonde hairs, red hairs, a handful of black ones and brown.

I have hair of every thickness too, the darker ones are coarser, the lighter ones are medium and the blondes are fine. I also have maybe five or so silver-y gray hairs which are also fine.

camara
November 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
A few shades of light brown, dark brown, a few light coppery ones, platinum blondes, whites, about five totally black ones, and even a few that are definitely red.

I think it makes for a nice shade, overall.

LutraLutra
November 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I've got red, brown, a chunk of blonde, copper, black (around my hair line) and a few silvers. Plus my hair really lightens in the sun and some of my ends are bright gold. :D

Ryanne
November 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I've got mostly ashy brown, some reddish-brown, and a few blonde hairs.

Drynwhyl
November 30th, 2008, 04:14 AM
ok, here we go
ginger
mahagony
just red
burgundy
(but you don't really see there are so many different shades of red)
almost black purple layer
+
my natural ash blonde with reddish shine of my dreadlocks xD

Katze
November 30th, 2008, 04:18 AM
dark, "liver-colored" ashy brown - looks black in some lights
medium greyish ashy blonde/brown
light ash blonde
golden blonde
reddish gold
silver

and probably more, depending on lighting and where on my head!

It's cool, isn't it? :D

pdy2kn6
November 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Wow each hair really does have a mind of its own. I wish my hairs were really blondie white towards the ends, i think that looks so great when they look lighter as you get further down your hair. maybe ill expose only my ends to the sun next time i am in the sun. Despite this being a bit of a challenge.

Sarahmoon
November 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Wow I would love to have that kind of variation in my hair!
And I would love to have your hair colour all over :thud:

Igor
November 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Errh, I have almost every colour and tone represented in my mane. Everything from platinum blonde strands to dark brown, but the majority is a dark blonde and red tones so depending on the light and photo I look everywhere between a classic blonde to a medium brunette and a medium redhead

florenonite
November 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM
How many tones can I count? None, because there's so many that I can't seem to count them all :D

I have reddish tones, light brown, darker brown, golden brown, and bits that have been bleached various shades of blonde by the sun.

Amara
November 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
My hair is ashy dark brown, with medium ashy browns and light golden blonde hairs all in there too!

ETA: and that's not counting my henna on the lower half, henna+indigo on some of the lower half underneath bits, and my blonde streak. Hah!

jojo
December 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
:D Jojo, I think that it is awesome that you know how many greys you have!

I myself have earmuffs of silver that defy counting. With henna they turn golden.

I can only see the front ones but my precious silvers are hopefully going to breed in the next year, they are very close afterall:D

AlliKamikaze
December 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
hmm. I wonder what would cause different tones naturally? I mean, I know that hair colors change throughout life, but I wonder about hair that is a different tone than the rest in only one section.
I've always wondered why my younger brother has blonde hair in a small area on his head, while the rest is really light brown... and it grows like that.... always.
Whatever factors drive hair genes, they seem really complex to me.

Celebrian
December 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Blackish; dark brown; medium red-brown; plain brown; dark blonde; sliver; green (thanks to bleach and indigo!). Oh, and red (thanks to henna).

One thing has always puzzled me. Why is the hair in the nape of my neck always lighter than the rest of my hair? It gets the least exposure to light, and yet it often looks as if it gets the most... :rolleyes:

thankyousir74
December 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah part of me wouldn't even want to count, how many i have. The pool doing its damage along with the sun and the henna creates oodles of color... It's wet right now so I couldn't do it if I truly wanted to...

Akiko
December 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
My virgin hair comes in one tone. I don't mind a little more variety.

Igor
December 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
hmm. I wonder what would cause different tones naturally? I mean, I know that hair colors change throughout life, but I wonder about hair that is a different tone than the rest in only one section.
I've always wondered why my younger brother has blonde hair in a small area on his head, while the rest is really light brown... and it grows like that.... always.
Whatever factors drive hair genes, they seem really complex to me.

I figured it’s an amount of mutt-ness that causes that but I’m not sure :shrug:

Zindell
December 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
My hair is "golden" blonde but the blonde tones comes in both very dark and very light.
It is darker underneath and lighter on the surface which truly shows when I put my hair up.
It also has some streaks of very light blonde here and there over the surface. Perhaps a premonition of silver to come?

Random co-worker on up-do day: "Did you color your hair darker?"

Hatsumomo
December 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Above the henna, I'm mostly a medium ash brown with some dark ash brown, ash blonde and the occasional bit of black and even more occasional red hair. The henna area is dark red, auburn, ginger, dark brown and occasionally black.

JessTheMess
December 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have a variety of colors as well as hair type. I have the lightest brown strands, which are almost transparent, and they are super fine hairs... as the hair gets thicker, the color ranges from reddish browns to darkest brown. Then I get several black, coarse, very wiry hairs that for some reason just grow like that. :shrug:

rhubarbarin
December 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
All my hair is the same color growing out of the scalp, an ashy brown, except for a dark blonde patch at the nape of my neck. No white hairs yet!

My hair reacts very strongly to sunlight, so my canopy has warm golden tones to it, and gets more blonde the longer it grows. The hair that never sees the sun stays dark and more gray-toned.

As a young child I was very light blonde, but it steadily darkened as I got older.. it's been growing in the same color as it is now since I was perhaps 12, blondeness depending on how much time I spend outdoors.

ETA: Oh, and all my strands look pretty much the same, except for one patch of hair under one ear that's curlier and a bit coarser than the rest.

Themyst
December 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I did a quick wiki search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_color

Read the article under Genetics and Biochemistry in Hair Color.

According to it, it is still unknown exactly what role genetics play in hair color. Of course, theories abound - one being that two gene pairs control it. The rest of the information is interesting because it goes on to list hair colors and popularity.

Of course you have to take wiki info with a grain of salt. But it would be interesting to know if all my hair colors came from different genes from different family members or if there is some other factor involved.

GibsonGirlV
December 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Oooh, my hair changes colour like crazy! The body of it is medium golden blonde, but it comes in darker at the roots and changes rather dramatically. It comes in a little darker in the winter, a little lighter in the summer, and as it grows out it takes on all sorts of shades of blonde from dark to pale, and sometimes gets rather strawberry. The dramatic changes in colour is ironically why I started colouring my hair. Everyone would always ask me if I dyed my hair because of the dramatic difference, and it bugged me to no end, so now I just colour it to the shade it tends to be when it's "behaving" . Now it's really rare for me to get asked if I dye my hair. Even though I don't do highlights or anything and just colour it all one shade, it still does what it wants and takes on highlights and lowlights, which works fine with me.

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Two, black and brown hehe.

burns_erin
December 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Underneath all this henna there is a complete range. From a variety of blondes, a variety of browns, a variety of reds (including a couple of very light red streaks DH swears are naturally pink), a variety of silver/dirty grey, and a few that are all but black. I attribute it to the mutt in me, but overall it is a dark brown with a reddish cast and face framing chunks of grey.