PDA

View Full Version : This 'not looking at my hair' thing is working

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I used to be obsessed with growth, checking everyday, even though deep inside i new it would not have grown over night haha. Now i have not looked properly at my hair since august 3.5 months ago. I intend to not look at my hair properly until my birthday in May 2009. I wear my hair everyday in a bun and then braid at night, without looking at what I am braiding. I let it down laast night to give myself a scalp massage and felt my hair so much further down my back. Any of you tried this? I would really advise it if you are obsessed with growth. I only ever look at the front of it (but not length). It has certainly stopped me obsessing. It just seems like such a long way away until my birthday, but ohwell that will be a good birthday present to look forward to, especially the added bonus of shocking my parents who have no idea how long my hair is because since i have been at uni whenever I do see them it is hidden in a bun. They even thought it was long when it was at armpit length. haha

PurpleAshes
November 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'd love to be able to do that, but right now my hair is not even shoulder lenght and I'm adapting to a new routine, so it's hard not to look at it :)
When it gets long enough to do a pony tail, that will be my philosophy, to not look at it!

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'd love to be able to do that, but right now my hair is not even shoulder lenght and I'm adapting to a new routine, so it's hard not to look at it :)
When it gets long enough to do a pony tail, that will be my philosophy, to not look at it!

I really recomend it, im sure it will be long enough for a pony in no time, then just keep at it and it will grow faster when you dont stress over it. It has a mind of its own!!!
God Bless

jojo
November 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
APL is still pretty long (real world) IMHO but yes it does work, up and out of sight, i need to practice it more myself!

PurpleAshes
November 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah.. I think in two months my hair will be long enough :D The good thing is my hair tends to grow pretty fast

pdy2kn6
November 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
APL is still pretty long (real world) IMHO but yes it does work, up and out of sight, i need to practice it more myself!

Yeah I agree, outside of longhaircommunity APL is long, especially for a young guy. I think my mum because she has has short hair her whole life (she claims her hair is too light and curly to grow long-even though i protest to her that it is not) she thinks that anything longer then collar length is super long. I cant wait to surprise her in many many months...

30isthenewblack
November 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
APL is a very long hair length for a guy. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that look at your length in envy! I always talk about my hair with my best male mate & he is so inspired that he is growing his hair & even going to try Monistat!

jojo
November 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah I agree, outside of longhaircommunity APL is long, especially for a young guy. I think my mum because she has has short hair her whole life (she claims her hair is too light and curly to grow long-even though i protest to her that it is not) she thinks that anything longer then collar length is super long. I cant wait to surprise her in many many months...
ha ha take your camera id love to see her reaction!

spidermom
November 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, I had to quit looking at my hair length because I was checking for growth about 9 times a day and never seeing any progress (of course not!). So I decided that I would put it up quick every morning in my bedroom and not even look at it except once per month. It helped. I could see progress again.

Now when I look at it, I'm amazed at the length. It has been growing like a weed.

Delila
November 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I can't measure my hair very often either. It's so frustrating that I just gave it up a few years ago. I ~think~ the length measurement I have in my profile is about right, but I'm not certain. I'm so determined not to obsess that I tend to neglect checking it.

I know I'm gaining length, though, because every few weeks I have to adjust my updo to allow for extra length.

Eryka
November 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Yes, the not checking all the time thing really works. My hair gets benign neglect all the time because I don't have the patience for more than a simple bun during the day. Sometimes I'm surprised at having whatever I just trimmed off has already grown back. (I'll be maintaining knee length to trim my hair and get it healthier.)

eadwine
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I have been doing this, to some dismay of the Dutch forum members of whom some think it a bit weird I am not in the group photo's back shots at meetings :lol: But no.. I am NOT letting my hair down for a picture either. I was supposed to not look till December (not look as in not be obsessive about it, I DO look in the mirror at times and am happy with what I see), but I think I am going to extend that period with another 6 months.

30isthenewblack
November 30th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I have been doing this, to some dismay of the Dutch forum members of whom some think it a bit weird I am not in the group photo's back shots at meetings :lol: But no.. I am NOT letting my hair down for a picture either. I was supposed to not look till December (not look as in not be obsessive about it, I DO look in the mirror at times and am happy with what I see), but I think I am going to extend that period with another 6 months.

What??? You're going to leave the APL to BSL group hanging for six months :cool:

eadwine
November 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Yup, I definitely am :lol:

Pretty sure it is BSL by now, BUT until someone else neutral looks at it I cannot be sure ;) So I will stick with you guys for a while to come hehe

30isthenewblack
November 30th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Yup, I definitely am :lol:

Pretty sure it is BSL by now, BUT until someone else neutral looks at it I cannot be sure ;) So I will stick with you guys for a while to come hehe

Judging by those pictures, you would be BSL by now :) I will take some pictures in the new year me thinks.

eadwine
November 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Judging by which pictures? The ones in my siggie? Not by a long shot. I am an inch above BSL there :)

Oh wait I get ya. I had a cut after that though that had to be corrected, so.. it's yes/no BSL now :lol:

jojo
December 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
oh you are a shocking tease Eadwine! I bet you are way past BSL!

maskedrose
December 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think the first 6 months of being on LHC are the worst when it comes to hair obsession. I'm still obsessed, of course, but I'm not looking at it constantly and wishing that it would have growth super-powers. I'm happy to check it every once in awhile and I'm usually happy with what I see.

Seriously though, hurray for growing your hair out. I hope your mom's reaction is favorable and I second Spidermom's suggestion about the camera - I bet her face will be priceless :D

embee
December 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Put it up and don't look at it worked for me. I didn't intend to do that, it just happened. My life was busy and I couldn't afford trims or anything, just put up the hair, go to work, come home, do house stuff, go to bed, repeat. One day my hair was *long* and I was astonished. :)

Not to mention pleased, delighted, and thrilled.

MsBubbles
December 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a challenge. Not sure though, that I'm ready to decide to wear my hair up each day, as opposed to every other day. However, what you said about not checking the length until a certain date sounds like a great idea to me. I might have to take baby steps first though...like a month at a time :).

DecafJane
December 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I did this for a while, and it really helped. I still pretty much do it, except for the occasional length photo. :)

CaityBear
December 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
It's too hard for me to do that. lol Every night when I brush my hair before putting it up or braiding it I'm always looking at it. And when I shower I always notice how long it is so it's very hard for me to not look or ignore it. lol Though I'm almost too my goal so I'm not too obsessed.

prosperina
December 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
This is a good idea. Especially if your hair is curly or wavy. Mine really shrinks up quite a bit depending upon how clean it is, when I brushed/combed it, if I brushed combed it. If I happen to notice it's looking long(er) that day, I might check it out in the mirror or measure it. Otherwise, I stick to going about my business and not looking at my hair. It's just too irritating if it looks barely APL when I *know* it's edging past BSL. And of course the darn layers don't help...