PDA

View Full Version : Comb and go???

Tangles
November 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Is there any way people with wavy hair can just comb their wet hair, apply a leave in and go?

I'm sick of bun waves, sick I tell you! But when I don't "set" my hair, I end up with a stringy mess that's neither straight nor wavy.

I've been thinking of going back to cones for days when I want to wear my hair down. But most coney shampoos leave me drier ultimately. I don't know how to gain that cohesion and bounce that I need.

Darkhorse1
November 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
My hair isn't uber wavy, but yes. I just use a wide tooth comb, clip up for a bit, then let it dry loose. I wash my hair at night though, as it's easier for me to do that.

I also use cones--I have no choice. They work for my hair and help it stay soft in the harsh conditions I work in.

They key to reduce bun waves is to take it out of the bun still damp and let dry--but, as I said, I wash my hair after working/at night, so that helps--also, for me, sleeping on it smooths it. Trust me, I look like a walking chia-pet right after washing.

jojo
November 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
yes I comb and go somedays, my siggi is a comb and go day! I always put a teeny bit of oil on the ends to protect it though.

Kirin
November 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
On days i want body, I still use mousse, for me its the only way and a sacrifice i'm willing to make.

Dianyla
November 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
That's pretty much all I do. I condition with lowfat coconut milk (more info in my blog post here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=16585)) and this makes a leave-in unnecessary because it leaves my hair nicely coated with a thin layer of coconut oil.

Also, I wash at night, do a thorough wet detangle, and lay a towel over my pillow. By the morning, it's about half dry and the waves are pretty set. I just do a light finger-detangle in the morning to neaten things slightly and that's all.

Tangles
November 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Bleh. What shampoo do y'all use?

Dianyla
November 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Extremely diluted shampoo. Like, 1 oz of shampoo and 15 oz of water. Anything more dries my scalp out and strips my hair. The brand of shampoo itself does not seem to make much difference to me, but I generally use natural/organic type cleansers bought at the health food store.

xrosiex
November 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I comb and go all the time. My siggie picture is combed and air dried.

Teacherbear
November 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
:raises hand: I do.

I actually don't comb, I use my Denman brush, but it is the same general effect.

I like letting my hair airdry. I get better curls/waves that way.

Tangles
November 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
It might get easier with length. I'm still searching for ways to get my hair more moisturized yet less stringy.

Curlsgirl
November 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Oh I agree that it may get better with length. I do comb and go if at all possible. My hair does much better like that.

Elphie
November 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I can comb and go with most of my hair. I just have to fix the cowlicks in my bangs with my dryer first. The rest can airdry.

Roseate
November 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Have you ever tried "plopping" your hair as it dries? Here's (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/its-a-curly-world/to-plop-or-not-to-plop) an explanation; it's just a particular way of wrapping your hair in a turban to 'set' the wave a bit. I find if I do that for 20 min or so (or however long I have after stepping out of the shower and before leaving the house), then don't comb again, my hair settles into a much wavier pattern.

manderly
November 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not quite happy with my hair in a totally air dry scenario, thats why I do my twisted pigtails thing. They look normal enough to get away with them while driving somewhere without getting funny looks :)

If I just comb and dry I get lame waves, frizz, and stringyness. My hair seems to need the extra coaxing to be happy. I hope this will change as it gets longer :D

Aditi
November 30th, 2008, 01:22 AM
If you cant wait for your hairs to dry out perfectly then after hair washing you can towel dried your hair and then detangle them with a wide toothed comb. After that you can tie a nice loose ponytail and your set to go.

crystal_89
November 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
It got better with length for me. At the start of the year when my shortest layers were longer (around SL -> APL) I would just use whatever coney shampoo and conditioner I liked at the time (I think then it was garnier or pantene). My hair would turn into a giant fluff ball while drying, but by the time I would wear it somewhere a few hours or a day later I could just comb it and it would like tidy and with a slight wave. Or if I had to go somewhere straight after washing, I would just let it dry in a ponytail and take it down when it was dry and it would like nice. When I got short layers cut in, around ear length, I couldn't wear my hair down natural anymore as my hair would go fluffy.

RedFrizz
November 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm a Comb and Go kinda girl. During weekdays I wash / wet my hair in the morning before going to work, because it tends to go sort of fluffy while sleeping (even though I sleep with my hair tied up in a bun) and I like keeping my curls defined. After shower I just comb my hair, plop it and let it air dry (and during these colder months I put on a hat) and head for the office. I use coconut oil, jojoba oil or avocado oil as a leave-in conditioner, and those prevent my hair from exploding while outdoors even though my home town is extremely windy all year round.

florenonite
November 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I tend to get stringiness with the comb-and-go; however, I tend to touch my hair a lot when it's down as otherwise it gets in my face, and the repeated touching helps with the stringiness.

Katze
November 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I've been getting better results with hair loosely twisted and clipped up when it is still damp, then worn like that for the first day after washing (I wash nights).

Usually my hair's best these days on day 2 or 3 after washing, especially if I do put leave-in on the ends and aloe or hair gel all over it.

I definitely hear your frustration. My hair seems to get stringy so easily - stringy when it's dry (washed too much or not enough) and stringy when it's over moisturized (oiling, too long between washes). Added to this is my updo problem; my ends get kinked and tangled from even the most simple updos (French twists for example) and then look and feel worse.

I'm going back to regular SMTs to see if this will help with the problem.