PDA

View Full Version : Products and Damage?

AutumnLeaves
November 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I was just reading a thread where the OP decided that using protein was causing her hair to break off as well as to split. Despite two years and counting of membership, I find myself wondering about this. Of course, I could get up and look, but how do you know if a shampoo has protein? Does it actually say it on the ingredients list?

Anyway, I am having a hard time understanding how any product that is a shampoo or conditioner could cause actual breakage or splits? I always understood that it was the use of chemicals (perms, dyes, straighteners, etc.) or appliances (blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.), or even careless brushing or combing that caused real damage to hair. It seems to me that simple products might leave a residue or something, but that a fresh wash with a different product or WO would rinse out the old residue.

So my question is whether or not products (shampoos, conditioners, clarifying shampoos, gels, styling products, etc.) can actually cause damage. It doesn't quite make sense to me so I'm curious! :D

Arctic
November 29th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Here (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69)' s a great article about protein/moisture balance. It's all down to hair chemistry, how hair is built.

ktani
November 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I was just reading a thread where the OP decided that using protein was causing her hair to break off as well as to split. Despite two years and counting of membership, I find myself wondering about this. Of course, I could get up and look, but how do you know if a shampoo has protein? Does it actually say it on the ingredients list?

Anyway, I am having a hard time understanding how any product that is a shampoo or conditioner could cause actual breakage or splits? I always understood that it was the use of chemicals (perms, dyes, straighteners, etc.) or appliances (blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, etc.), or even careless brushing or combing that caused real damage to hair. It seems to me that simple products might leave a residue or something, but that a fresh wash with a different product or WO would rinse out the old residue.

So my question is whether or not products (shampoos, conditioners, clarifying shampoos, gels, styling products, etc.) can actually cause damage. It doesn't quite make sense to me so I'm curious! :D

I have had breakage and splits from product residue. It is not so much that the product causes damage as overuse of certain ingredients cause build-up and can make the hair tangle more (mechanical damage from cuticle stress) and the hair can get dry and break.

The ingredients in question coat the hair and cannot be removed with WO. Excessive coatings do not allow moisture to get into the hair as much, which is needed to keep hair flexible and soft.

Changing or alternating products can help but not if they contain the same or similar ingredients that only add to the problem.

There are different kinds of damage. You cannot really compare chemical damage to mechanical damage. They are 2 different things. The dryness caused by excessive coatings on the hair is different as well.

Chemical damage cannot be repaired and has to be grown out, while mechanical damage can be dealt with by just snipping off split and broken ends. Once build-up is removed, hair returns to is pre build-up state.

A clarifying treatment or shampoo or just a shampoo for normal hair, without additives can remove product build-up. Vinegar rinses can remove some residues like soap scum and certain mineral residues but not product residues.

AutumnLeaves
November 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thank you Ktani and Arctic. I appreciate the input and reading the article helps alot as well!

ktani
November 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Thank you Ktani and Arctic. I appreciate the input and reading the article helps alot as well!

You are most welcome.

Speckla
November 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Sulfates in shampoos will totally strip oil and moisture and make the hair shaft weaker and more prone to breakage. You have to use silicones in conditioner to help seal in the moisture and then use more sulfate shampoos to help get rid of the silicones after they start to build up. It's a never ending cycle.

I'm still not totally clear on protein but I know that it can help to fill in weak spots on some people's hair and others are sensitive. My hair hates all forms of protein and protein makes my hair very brittle and prone to breakage. It does not matter if my hair is healthy or damaged - it hates protein. Aloe is my best friend when it comes to moisturizing and strengthening my hair.
________
Honda h4 transmission (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_H4_transmission)

ktani
November 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I use a sulfate shampoo that has 1 cone in it. It does not strip my hair or make it weak or build-up. It is all about how a product is formulated.

I follow my shampoo with catnip tea and my hair has never been stronger. I have no splits and less breakage than ever before.

PurpleAshes
November 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
From what I read in the article, oils just seal the moisture in, and won't let any more moisture come in.
Does that mean that oiling 2 days in a row without washing is pointless?

Kirin
November 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Simply put, protein in some forms coats the hair like a barrier, just as silicone does, especially in the case of Panthenol. Other proteins (amino acids in general) can be to many users very drying. The problem of damage comes in of overuse of these products, and NOT moisturizing or doing moisture treatments.

The hair over dries out, and breaks/splits