PDA

View Full Version : Download Blogs? Comments Lost?

TessieAnn
March 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM
If these have been answered before, please just point me in the right direction:

1. Can blogs be downloaded to our own computers as on the old LHC? If there's a link I can't find it. If it's right in front of me, it wouldn't be the first time!

2. I've seen some members lamenting losing comments when they made changes. If I change my blog to "friends only" will the comments be lost?

Thanks for all that you Mods do!

physicschick
March 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I couldn't figure out a way to download a blog. That seems not to be available in this software.

When I made my blog private, no comments were lost. This is the first I've heard about such a problem. Do you remember which thread it was discussed in?

Raederle
March 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The only way I found to sort of download the blog is to do a File>SavePageAs. It seems to preserve all the pages and certainly includes the comments.

Carolyn
March 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I assume you would have to do that for each page in your blog? Would it be possible to add a download blog feature? I'm so afraid my old journal is lost to me forever and I don't want to lose this one.

Raederle
March 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
It actually seems to preserve all the pages, Carolyn. I guess the way to test would be to go offline, turn the wireless off, and see what happens. Guess what I'm going to do now?

ETA: You just get the one page, but as the older pages are at the back, you'd only need to save them, and then just keep adding each additional page. So that's one advantage to the blog chronology.

physicschick
March 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm checking with the admins to see whether it's possible to add such a feature, but I don't know. The blogs aren't stored like regular threads.

Alley Cat
March 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I'm checking with the admins to see whether it's possible to add such a feature, but I don't know. The blogs aren't stored like regular threads.
I hope that could be possible . Fingers crossed . :)

Raederle
March 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I assume you would have to do that for each page in your blog? Would it be possible to add a download blog feature? I'm so afraid my old journal is lost to me forever and I don't want to lose this one.

Well, to preserve the comments, you'd have to download entry by entry with the comments showing. When I tested, I still had my cable connected, which, of course, took over when I hit the wireless switch.

But I'm thinking someone will come up with a better solution.

Lady Godiva
March 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
We also can copy the text to paste into a document program. It's a bit more labor-intensive, but still better than losing everything. :shrug:

Carolyn
March 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I made a file in My Documents called something like My Long Hair Blogging File. Then I save each page of my blog into that file starting with the first page. I have 5 pages now I think. I did that last night and it appears it's all there this morning. I plan to save each page as I go but not each entry. It appears if I post a picture, the picture will get saved too.

Raederle
March 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I found that I could only get the comments if I downloaded entry by entry, just numbering them sequentially. And now is the time to start, like you're thinking Carolyn, before it gets to be too much of a task.