PDA

View Full Version : Switch to SLS causing oilyness

NightingaleLHC
November 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
After about 3 years sulfate free, I have started using dandruff shampoo, which has sulfates in it. I have noticed that by the second day my hair is getting greasy, so I have begun to wash it every other day, as oppose to washing on the 4th day. Just an observation!

Curlsgirl
November 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I haven't found that to be the case for me but I am sure some have because of the scalp producing extra sebum to compensate for the dryness. Actually I have found the reverse to be true. I do SLS on the scalp and then just conditioner on the length usually. Oh and I only usually CWC about once or 2 times a week too so that might be the difference.

Kirin
November 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Mine is the reverse, I will get super oiliness bordering on waxiness if I use non sls shampoos, even some dandruff. It goes away if I return to sls shampoo.

Tresses
December 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
After about 3 years sulfate free, I have started using dandruff shampoo, which has sulfates in it. I have noticed that by the second day my hair is getting greasy, so I have begun to wash it every other day, as oppose to washing on the 4th day. Just an observation!

I haven't found that to be the case for me but I am sure some have because of the scalp producing extra sebum to compensate for the dryness...

I get that rebound effect when I use any sulfate stronger than SLES. I still have to wash with something (even just CO) 3 to 4 times per week, but the oiliness is worse with the stronger sulfates.

Kirin
December 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Oh! You know it dawned on me the shampoo, Head & shoulders is formulated now specifically to moisturize. It could also be the heavy "scalp moisturizers" now in the shampoos.

Anje
December 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Another possibility -- how does your scalp respond to winter weather? Mine gets considerably oilier. (It was winter when I finally gave up on WO washing. It's probably fine in the summer months, but in the dead of winter, the grease was constant and eventually intolerable.)

Tangles
December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Not all sulfates are SLS sulfates. Have you tried Suave Waterfall Mist? It has sulfates but ALS instead, which seems to be slightly less drying for me.

Katze
December 3rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
I've found the opposite: dull, waxy, stringy hair without occasional (1-4x a month) SLS-SELS use.

Could you be perhaps blaming the sulfates when there is something else in the shampoo? I seem to recall that lots of dandruff shampoos have lots of stuff in them besides sulfates - for my stubborn dandruff/SD, none of them ever made much of a difference...