PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinion/advice

karenpetal
November 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hey folks
I wanted to share some good news needed some advice from you - I finally got a second job - besides being a yoga instructor working in a small hair salon - the owner is a real sweet person - she has got short stylish hair cut - she respects my choice of having long hair (which was the first thing i told her - that I love long hair) but wants me to get some layers - everything abt this job is good - timings match well with my yoga class but slightly down abt this - what do you say - I am hesitant because layers will mean no braids :( but need this job pretty bad :(

misstwist
November 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Ask her straight out if keeping the job depends on taking her makeover advice.

That question may be so shocking that she will backpedal immediately (maybe not, she may expect anyone who works for her to take her advice about their appearance).

Explain your concerns about how layering affects braids. Perhaps you can cope with a bit of layering or thinning in the last two inches as a compromise (that's what I have, but it's still a pain in the neck for braiding, makes a longer tail than I want).

If she says your job depends on your appearance then you have to decide which is more important to you, an income or your hair.

Good luck.

spidermom
November 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I think I'd tell her what you told us. Is changing your hair mandatory for getting this job? I can't imagine how layers could make you better qualified.

30isthenewblack
November 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I would politely decline and say that you don't want layers. If she insists, I would consider whether I really needed that job. She says that she likes long hair but maybe layers is just a gradual step for her to ask you to cut your hair. Can you imagine what she is like with her customers? I'm not sure if I could stand there and condone that behaviour. I personally think she is out of line to ask you this at all. Your appearance should never matter in a job.

spidermom
November 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Your appearance should never matter in a job.

It seems to me that appearance always matters. Certain "looks" are appropriate in certain jobs. You wouldn't wear coveralls to work in a bank or a business suit to work on a construction site, and so forth. As far as hair styles, I can see a boss in a hair salon wanting you to look "trendy" perhaps, but there are so many hairstyle choices. You shouldn't be limited to layers.

Laila23
November 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I don't like it, what you have told us. Listen to your gut feeling. What does it say?

winter_star
November 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
There may be some alternatives. Beacuase your hair is so long, you may need to have it tied back most of the time your working. You don't need layers if your hair is in fancy up-do's all the time?

RavennaNight
November 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I would wear my hair up for a while and see if she keeps on with the layers suggestion. But is it really implied as a condition of employment? I mean some places (like my work) require hair to be of a natural color, but that is all. I find it strange that layers would make or break your employment status...

wintersun99
November 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM

karenpetal
November 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions and sorry if I offended anyone with this question -- i didn tmean to do so - am just in a dilemma

misstwist and 30isthenewblack - I have already been working for abt a week now and I will first try an avoid it by first trying some trendy updos or tying it up or back as suggested by RavennaNight,winter star and wintersun99 - if it doesnt help I will get the question straight to her - may be I am thinking too much abt it -- thanks folks -

wintersun99 - thanks for the compliment - my hair is much longer now so tying high pony the whole day gives me a headache :(

lawyermom
November 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM
i agree with someone above; wear some cute updos with updated accessories (I know I've seen threads about trendy updos); she'll likely stop bringing it up once she sees that you are able to project that "stylista" image without cutting.

Comfrey
November 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I've been thinking about this from all angles and actually, if I was you, I'd be furious. So long as your hair is clean, tidy and not a health hazzard, there is absolutely no reason why this woman should insist it was cut.

This is not like wearing a suit to an office, a suit can be taken off at the end of a day. This actually affects you on a personal level and it could be seen as discriminatory.

Your hair does not mean you are unable to do the work. This is just a small step from them saying "I'm sorry but my clientèle dont want to look at black/short/fat people"